ADVERTISEMENT

Dog of Peace Strikes again

TexMexman

Gold Member
Nov 20, 2011
Dallas, Texas

Baby girl killed by dog her family had bought one week before​

17-month old Bella-Rae Birch from St Helens died as a result of her injuries in hospital

ByMarcus Parekh22 March 2022 • 11:08am

Bella-Rae Birch was just 17 months old CREDIT: Facebook
A 17-month old girl has been killed by a dog less than a week after her family bought the pet, police in St Helens have said.
Bella-Rae Birch died in hospital after being attacked on Monday afternoon in Bidston Avenue in Blackbrook.
In a statement given via Merseyside Police, the family said they had only bought the dog a week ago and that they were “absolutely devastated” by the death.
Detective Inspector Lisa Milligan said: "This is a tragic incident and our thoughts are with the child's family at this devastating time."
"Whilst we are in the very early stages of the investigation into this extremely tragic incident we can confirm that the dog was only bought by the family a week ago."

Police at the house where a 17 month old baby girl was mauled to death by a dog, Bidston Avenue CREDIT: Dilantha Dissanayake / MERCURY PRESS /Dilantha Dissanayake / MERCURY PRESS
The dog has since been put down by the authorities. Merseyside Police have said they will look to identify the dog’s previous owners as well as determine whether the dog was bred illegally.

'She was such a beautiful little girl'​

Joanne Matthews, a 53 year old neighbour, told the PA news agency: "She was such a beautiful little girl, toddling about.
"I'd see the family in passing, just to say hello, and they were always very pleasant."
Ms Matthews said she saw an ambulance outside the house in Bidston Avenue at about 3.50pm on Monday and then about 10 police vehicles arrive.
She said: "I saw them bring the dog out. I couldn't tell what breed it was but from the back it looked like a Staffordshire bull terrier or pit bull."

Bella-Rae Birch died in hospital following the dog attack in St Helens CREDIT: Facebook
Locals in the "quiet" road fought back tears as they fondly remembered watching the tot playing with her brother.
Another resident, who did not wish to be named, told South West News Service: "They were a lovely family, and it's just devastating what has happened.
"The dog had a stocky build, it was a Staffordshire terrier or Pitbull, and it was fully grown. There was only one.
"It's devastating. This is a normal quiet street, and the children would play in the street. The little girl, a toddler, was always about. It's a shame I won't be able to see that again.
"I don't remember seeing anything at all until the ambulance arrived.
"They were a very pleasant family, with two kids."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News