Donny's Out of his Element, but Dustin's 9 dude-abiding thoughts are not... (how long will it take?)

DustinMcComas

You are what your fWAR says you are.
Gold Member
Apr 26, 2005
Wooten, Austin
Brought to you by these three great men:

banner-big-lebowski_edited-1-1.jpg

1) How long will it take?

Texas fans are excited, and rightfully so. It’s hard to find fault in Tom Herman and his staff’s offseason, and preseason thus far. Boxes are being checked. Recruits are committing at an almost unbelievably good rate. Things are often being done or said that inspire optimism around the program.

But Rome wasn’t built in a day, and neither are elite football programs. Just ask Nick Saban (6-7 his first season at Alabama), Pete Carroll (6-6 his first year at USC), and Dabo Swinney (6-7 his second season at Clemson). Herman’s situation at Texas is probably a little different than those three, but you get the point. Unless you’re Les Miles inheriting Nick Saban’s program, it takes at least a little bit of time. Even Herman’s guy Urban Meyer (9-3 at Florida) needed a season before he turned Florida into a juggernaut.

How long?

Well, the length will be determined by a lot of things. Quarterback will be a big deal, but Herman has proven everywhere he’s been that he excels at developing and recruiting that position. The UT defense returning to nationally recognized levels will determine a lot too, but Todd Orlando has a pedigree that suggests that’ll happen sooner rather than later.

What will determine Texas’s transformation most is how quickly it lives, breathes, and eats Herman’s culture and standard. When asked if Texas as playing to his standards in practice, that are rooted on playing hard and hitting hard, this was his response Monday:

“For the most part. The really cool thing is when most of the team goes as hard and hits as hard as you expect them to, then the ones that don't get exposed, they stick out like a sore thumb. It’s really cool because the players then see that and be the ones who call out, ‘Hey, that’s not to our standard, man. What are you doing? That’s not the way we do things around here.’ For the most part. We've still got to get guys that are talented enough to go hard enough to become part of our family.”

For the most part means Texas isn’t there yet, but to expect it to be, this early in Herman’s preseason camp, is being completely unreasonable. Changing the culture, mindset, and standards of a program takes time. Frankly, “for the most part” should excite Texas fans because progress is being made.

No one right now does this better than Alabama, and I’m reminded of a quote from Alabama strength and conditioning coach Scott Cochran about when he knew the program changed.

“I feel like the program changed when it went from me telling a player, ‘This is what we do,’ to where I saw Rolando McClain and Julio Jones slap a player and say, ‘No, no, no. This is what we do, and this is why we win,” he said in a Sirius XM interview in January. “We’re going to do really heavy legs after a whole week of work and right after stadiums, too. So, take that 315 off the bar and put another Cadillac on, because we’re going to go 405 for the second set.’ Just the mentality changed.”

Is Texas starting to show those similar signs? It sure sounds like it.

“There’s a quote, I believe it’s by Alexander the Great, where it says. ‘The actions of each of us determines the fate of all of us.’ I think when you get into your position meeting rooms, and if a tight end screws up, first one is usually on him. The subsequent penalties are on the entire unit. At some point, if you’re the guy that’s not screwing up, and you’re having to pay for the guy that does screw up, at some point, you’re going to say something,” the Texas head coach said Monday. “You’re going to do something, and you’re going to police that, because you don’t want to have to pay for other people’s penalties. I think we do a lot of that. We call it ‘unit pride’ where every position coach, and every unit, should strive to be the example unit.

“When I get up and brag on a unit, it should be your unit. Your unit is only as strong as its weakest link, too. I think that understanding in the game of football is critical, that everything I do on and off the field affects the success of everybody. I think that’s on the individual. Then, as a group, you have to realize if I want to achieve the things I want to achieve, even if I’m doing everything I’m supposed to, I need to make sure everybody else is doing what they’re supposed to because I can’t do this alone.”

Again, these transformations at the highest level of college football don’t happen overnight, and often take a full season before a program truly, from top to bottom, lives a championship-type culture. How quickly Texas turns the corner as a program and distances itself from the last seven seasons will be determined by a lot of things, but affected most by players consistently implementing and valuing Herman’s culture and standard.

How long will it take? Good question. But for right now, “for the most part” isn’t a bad place for Texas to be.

2) Three things about the offense
a) Is the offensive line trending in the right direction? Texas thinks so. Take Tim Beck’s comments from Anwar’s Tuesday update:

“The development of that group (offensive line) has probably been the biggest that I’ve seen since I walked on campus here, in terms of just attitude, toughness, their strength. They play a lot lower, and the physicality of them. Really pleased with them. Got to continue to develop depth. Everyone is going to tell you that at every position.”

I’m still of the opinion that Texas is searching for its best five, and isn’t necessarily limiting some players to certain positions. So, it wouldn’t be a surprise to see or hear players practicing at multiple spots even as we get deeper into camp, especially after the news of Elijah Rodriguez’s high ankle sprain.

b) While we’re on the subject of the Texas offensive line, Patrick Hudson is one of the most intriguing names to follow as the full pads practices mount, especially after Rodriguez’s injury. Herman noted his motor, strength and talent during the spring. As Hudson’s camp reps increase and he gets more comfortable in a new system, it wouldn’t surprise me to hear he’s emerged as a potential starter a couple weeks from now. Only Connor Williams has more talent along the offensive line.

c) If you’re a Texas fan, you have to love what you’re hearing from the Texas staff about Shane Buechele. We already knew there was distance between he and true freshman Sam Ehlinger, but Texas hasn’t hesitated to acknowledge Buechele’s strides in the area Tom Herman values perhaps the most – vocal leadership. When a player, particularly a quarterback, becomes more comfortable and confident in his ability to grasp the offense and the new environment, the leadership usually soon follows. That’s what we’re seeing with Buechele right now.

3) Three things about the defense
a) How Texas will use its talented and unique linebacker depth remains a mystery, but as we get closer to the season Gary Johnson and Jeffrey McCulloch seem more and more like ideal candidates to often be on the field in third-down passing situations. An exciting aspect about the potential of the Texas defense is that it has more than just one guy that can come off the edge and cause problems. This is the area Johnson’s addition will be felt the most.

b) If Davante Davis doesn’t pick it up and emerge as the player that showed significant promise his freshman season, the corner group could be in trouble. Beyond Davis there isn’t much in the form of depth. Josh Thompson is a player that is likely to make a significant push to be noticed as a freshman, but even he is of the nickel-type mold, like a lot of other Texas defensive backs.

It'll probably never happen, but I’d love to see Armanti Foreman crosstrain at corner. He was just as good of corner prospect as he was receiver in high school, and the receiver depth chart is more crowded than its defensive counterpart.

c) Where could Texas make its biggest jump defensively next season? It could simply be across the board. Houston was one of the best drive efficiency defenses in college football last season (No. 15 in FEI Defense, per FootballOutsiders.com), and it was also very strong against both the run (No. 5 in S&P+ Run Defense) and pass (No. 11 in S&P+ Pass Defense). Meanwhile, Texas was about 30 spots behind in those respective categories.

4) My updated 2018 Texas Hoops recruiting class projection
Brock Cunningham kicked off the 2018 Longhorns recruiting class when he announced his commitment last Friday, and Texas fans should keep their eyes and ears open for another one to soon join the mix. Based on where things stand right now, here’s my current class projection for Texas:

Cunningham (already committed)
Gerald Liddell
Kamaka Hepa
Keldon Johnson

The top priority for Texas is Johnson, and it’s been that way for a while. A few weeks back, the Longhorns were definitely the favorites. Texas still is, but it is going to have to battle to hold some programs off.

Behind Johnson on the priority list are two guys: Liddell and Hepa. The latter has already scheduled an official visit for Labor Day weekend, and he’ll be joined on that visit by Johnson (things that make you go, “hmmmm”). The former speaks glowingly about Texas each time I talk to him, and is going to decide sooner rather than later despite his public comments about taking official visits to the West Coast.

Texas is in good standing with Kaden Archie, and has a very legitimate shot (a firm No. 2 now behind Kansas after Arizona landed a big-time guard last night) at five-star Quentin Grimes. There are guys like Jared Butler too. However, those four above are who Texas fans should focus on and follow most right now.

5) It’s early, but take a peek at Texas Hoops’ national title odds

According to this CBS Sports story, the Westgate SuperBook in Las Vegas, Nevada is listing odds for the NCAA Basketball championship. At the top of the list are Kentucky and Duke at 7/1 followed by Michigan State at 8/1 and Kansas and Arizona tied at 10/1.

Where’s Texas?

Well, you don’t have to scan down the list much farther following Arizona and Kansas. In fact, only two teams – Louisville at 12/1 and USC at 20/1 – separate the Big 12 favorite Jayhawks and the Longhorns. Texas is currently at 25/1 to win the national championship. That’s not a misprint, and it’s ahead of the likes of Villanova, North Carolina, Florida, Michigan, Gonzaga, and West Virginia.

Why is Texas that high? Mohamed Bamba. Okay, it’s not just him – Mohamed Bamba, Andrew Jones returning even though Las Vegas should have projected that and more new additions like Dylan Osetkowski, Matt Coleman, and a more talented, experienced, versatile roster. Texas opened with 300/1 odds, and has now skyrocketed up the list. Interestingly, Missouri made a similar jump, although not as high, which can be traced to it landing Michael Porter, Jr. late in the process.

Personally, I expected Texas to be somewhere around 40/1, but Las Vegas is clearly buying the end-of-season potential of the 2017-18 Texas roster.

Big 12 teams’ title odds currently:

Kansas – 10/1
Texas – 25/1
West Virginia – 50/1
Baylor – 80/1
Oklahoma – 80/1
Iowa State – 80/1
TCU – 100/1
Oklahoma State – 300/1
Kansas State – 300/1
Texas Tech – 300/1

6) Let’s check in on Zach Zubia

So in case you’re wondering, Zach Zubia, who will be a redshirt freshman next season, continues to mash homers with a wood bat at a rate the Northwoods League hasn’t seen before. In 63 games, Zubia is slashing .312/.459/.679 with 21 homers, 16 doubles, one triple, 60 RBI, 54 walks, and 50 strikeouts. He leads the league in homers, walks, OPS, and RBI. This at a league that’s one of the toughest the level below the Cape Cod League.

Is he going to hit .312 at Texas? Probably not. But the power is absolutely for real, and in the middle of the Texas lineup it’s not unreasonable to think he hits .260 with 15-plus homers and a good on-base percentage.

It’s hard not to wonder if Texas could be significantly better on offense next season with the additions of Zubia, Duke Ellis, Masen Hibbeler, D.J. Petrinsky, Kamron Fields and the maturation of guys like David Hamilton, Ryan Reynolds, and Austin Todd.

7) Scanning the sports globe
--- Since returning from the disabled list Dallas Keuchel is struggling. He was bombed last night by the lowly White Sox, and has now given up 14 earned runs over his last 12.0 innings. Not good. Not time to sound the panic alarm about him yet, but that red button is getting bigger and brighter.

Should the Astros respond by making a move for Justin Verlander (yes, that can still happen if a guy clears waivers)? Yes.

It might be expensive – Verlander is owed $56 million over the next two seasons with a 2020 vesting option – but we’re now into August and Lance McCullers can’t stay healthy, Keuchel is struggling, and the bullpen is showing small dents in its armor after being “reinforced” only by the Francisco Liriano experiment.

While Verlander hasn’t been outstanding like he has many seasons in the past, he’s coming off a terrific season in 2016, and his average fastball velocity has actually jumped to 95.7 MPH. Depending on how you look at it, Verlander’s fastball value this season ranks third or seventh in all of baseball (Fangraphs), and he’s always been a pitcher with feel for spinning the baseball when it comes to secondary stuff.

Plus, he’s thrown 98.1 postseason innings with quality results, and he’s been maybe the most durable pitcher in baseball during his time. Since his first full season in 2006, no pitcher has thrown more innings. What’s the best indication of future injury risk? Past injury history. And Verlander basically has none.

At the very least Verlander would be an expensive innings-eater (important this time of the year to help the bullpen) that would classify, independently, as a quality No. 3-type of pitcher. He’s throwing the ball better lately, and missing more bats (since July 1st, his slider whiff per swing is up to 36.45 percent). After June 15th, he’s had just one start with four or more walks; prior to that, he had five. The upside is that Verlander’s recent resurgence continues to show strong No. 2-type results, and he becomes an advantage on the mound in the postseason.

---
Maybe this isn’t as big of a surprise to most as it was to me, but the image of Usain Bolt’s historic domination of the 100-meter dash and the rest of the list is startling. He’s literally the only guy on the list that hasn’t been caught doping. That’s incredible. I don’t think the collective sports world has realized what we’ve been watching in the 100 meters the last decade.

---
I would say I expect better from The Big Lead, but I don’t. It is about clicks. Nothing more. Rather than give an accurate representation of Josh Rosen’s message it pulls something out of context to make it seem like Rosen is taking a shot at Alabama. He didn’t. In fact, he indirectly praised it as the best, most successful, most visible college football program of his time.

So, UCLA grants great media access to one of college football’s best players, and someone, Bleacher Report’s Matt Hayes publishes a really intriguing Q and A following Rosen’s honest interview, which presented some thought-provoking points about the relationship between academics and college football. Rather than simply retweet that story or use a correct representation, The Big Lead does this, and presents another example of the dumpster fire that is content aggregation. Want to know a big player in this seismic shift we’re seeing in sports journalism? Content aggregation. Someone else does all the work, writes the story the right way, and another outlet comes along and just snatches 140 characters to get people to click on its website. The sad thing is I’d bet The Big Lead received more clicks/hits/whatever you want to call them than the original story, which is a representation of our society and a conversation or another day.

As for Rosen’s comments, he delivered a few truth bombs that are rattling the college football landscape. It might get buried in all the other comments and poor headlines, but his comment about universities needing to help players get a value out of education more than keeping them eligible is the one that resonated with me the most. If the student-athlete thing is going to work, at least try to arm those athletes with something useful post-college rather than something that prioritizes the ability to simply stay eligible. Basically, at least try to back the shouting about amateurism and the value of an education.

On that note, here’s Fox Sports, who kicked all its writing, including some of sports journalism’s best, to the curb in favor of video only:

If you appreciate what is your estimation quality sports journalism, remember to try to support it.

8) Anything and everything
--- For those of you that have sold a car and bought a used car, your tips are appreciated. As much as I don’t want a car payment (spare me the comments about how I’m dumb for potentially taking on a car payment), it’s time to sell mine before it becomes a drain on my bank account.

--- Each time I listen to the Rolling Stones I come away with a different favorite album. Sticky Fingers and Let It Bleed always strongly resonate with me, but I can’t shake a love-hate relationship with Exile on Main St. No other band has this affect - one that creates a wide, changing range of what's appealing and not.

--- Recently, I made the mistake of trying Blanton’s bourbon, which is the best I’ve ever tasted. Now, the quest to find it in Austin has begun.

---

9) The best, non-sports thing I read this week

Has the smartphone destroyed a generation? An outstanding and startling piece from The Atlantic.

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.