ADVERTISEMENT

Every Ewers Pass Play - Udub - 2nd Half

badboy783

Gold Member
Dec 1, 2008
The Woodlands, TX
The first half is here 1st Half. Here we go with the second half.

J-Witt Complete - Man coverage exchange at the top. Love the decision here to give Witt a chance one on one with the space being given. If it's not there, Sanders is underneath. Ball could have come out a click sooner but still out before Witt is breaking which keeps it from being broken up. J-Witt has a bad habit of jumping for balls he doesn't need to jump for. You'd rather see him keep his feet and try to break a tackle.

Worthy Drop #1 - 3 step hitch here. Soft zone, same thing they were connecting on in the first half. Just a drop on a good ball. Nothing difficult about this play.

Drop 8 Improvise - 3rd and 3 and Washington drops 8 into coverage here. Looking for Sanders at the bottom of the screen. Didn't like it. Comes back to find a check down but the top of the screen gets blown up as well. Worthy runs in to defenders and then his own man. Ewers navigating a good pocket. When we talk about maturity, this is something he might have thrown away earlier in the season. Instead, moves up in the pocket and Worthy does a good job getting into the eyes of Ewers for a nice gain.

Sanders Hitch Complete - Would like to see Sanders not creep to the inside here but I like getting him the ball on the outside. Corner does a good job holding on for life.

Brooks Screen TD - Not gonna say much here about the throw but it should be noted that this isn't as easy as it looks. It's a great play call by Sark and executed nearly perfectly. LB takes a really bad angle, or he had the potential to blow it up. Great run after catch. Brooks deserved to touch the ball more this game.

K-Rob Complete - When Sark is in the zone he's in the zone. This is another great call against man coverage. Worthy does a nice job taking a step away from the LB.

K-Rob Complete - Penalty - Sark really picking on the LB's in man coverage. All these quick little completions against soft zone with the hitch routes and using the backs against man is Sark taking what the defense gives them and trying to force them in to giving a different look to take a shot. The play calling so far in the 2nd half has been flawless. For all the negative that Sark gets about not making adjustments, at least he's doing it this game. False start ruins this one.

Worthy Drop #2 - Full disclosure I didn't know what the next pass play was going to be but validates the previous statement. Udub is going to bring a lot of pressure. Quinn knows pre-snap he's got Worthy one on one against press man. Let's talk about the little things. His eyes are great. Looking off to the right at the snap. Eyes come back to check where the FS is and he's rolling to the middle of the field. It's a green light all day. Worthy has his man beat, it's a damn good throw, all he has to do is see the ball and haul it in.

Worthy Drop #3 - Have I mentioned that Sark is on fire right now? So far Washington has stayed committed to cover 2 which means the middle of the field is open. Worthy coming off of a drop, Sark makes the right call, go right back to him and show him you have confidence in him. And he does it with a bad ass play call. Quinn drops another ball right in on him with great touch. This one is even easier to haul in than the last one. Just nice easy 40+ yard flick of the wrist.

How good can Quinn be? Just take a look at the 3rd quarter. That's the potential. He's got to go make it so that this is the way he plays every snap. He'll never be perfect over the course of an entire game or season but the 3rd quarter was as close to perfection as it gets. Worthy completely left him out in the cold.

Sanders Quick Out Complete - Washington staying in man, reading the boundary corner and letting Sanders pick his option on the route. Sanders makes the right call as the LB is staying to the inside. Easy throw and catch.

J-Witt Complete - Hear me out, it's a good throw and catch to pick up the first down. But Quinn may be losing a little bit of faith in X here as he doesn't give him a look. I'll chalk it up to knowing the down and distance and moving the chains.

Worthy Hitch Complete - Interesting here as it seems this was called to go directly to worthy. Soft coverage, easy pitch and catch but check the effort at the top of the screen.

Cain Deep Shot Incomplete - Thanks to the RT this ball has to come out quicker than it needed to. Single high safety and he's automatically going to X. Cain gets by but looks like he pulls up some at the top of the route. Maybe it's the grab on the arm. Regardless, I have to wonder if J-Witt was gone before the game started. Quinn is seeing the defense really well. But let's say Casey falls down. J-Witt isn't doing anything with his route. This play drives me crazy a little bit. We need a legit 2nd WR. Hell we need a handful of legit WR's. Lack of effort plays drive me crazy in general.

Witt Screen Complete - Sanders doesn't do a good job & can somebody block 55 please? Offense tired?

J-Witt Out Complete - Man coverage here, easy read. Side note - Who the hell is that hugging all over J-Witt after the play? Washington giving so much space scared to get beat deep after the shots that this is really easy. Sark is still dealing as it pertains to play calls in the passing game. Quinn still firing well.

Mess - With Worthy and Cain getting some air, we get the young bucks in there. Looking at Thompson running a deep post route at the bottom of the screen. He doesn't get open. Red underneath him, he's not open. Brooks on the wheel route, he's not open. J-Witt just holding the backside corner. Sanders is the check down and it's not there either. Mess of a play.

Helm Complete - Very similar play call to the TD pass against Oklahoma where Ewers hit Sanders up the seam on a dime of a throw. This time the LB's lose their count on assignments and don't account for Helm. Really good play design against man coverage.

K-Rob Complete - Can't see the top of the play. Assuming this is a check down. Alamo Bowl camera selection sucks.

Cain Complete - Washington playing not to get beat over the top now. Dropping every layer deep. Take what you can get.

K-Rob Complete - Why did he need to throw that off his back foot? Watch C, RG, and RT for the fun of it.

Cain Deep Hitch Complete - Man coverage, space all day. Ball gets on Cain quick. One of the things about Ewers is that it never looks like he throws ball hard with his body. There's a lot of gas on this ball.

Cain Incomplete - Cain puts a hitch in this and Quinn's throwing right as the hitch starts. Not sure who is correct but if you assume the bottom of the screen has the same route concepts then Cain should not have been putting the hitch in there. I don't love this play call against quarters. It's quite possible Quinn missed some sort of call here. It's just not a great play call IMO.

Scramble for 13 - Again, going for the score here. He's wanting the deep ball to Sanders. He could have dumped it to Helm but looked backside and saw a ton of open grass. Let's give some credit to Worthy on the scramble drill and then blocking downfield for Quinn. He simply could have run off if he really didn't give a shit.

Throw Away- Ahh alright, I don't love this, and I don't understand why we aren't using drag or crossing routes underneath. It's clearly a designed shot to Sanders but I would have loved to see Quinn force this ball in to Worthy on a rope and see what happens. You're definitely in don't take a sack mode here but I think with experiences comes the decision-making ability. He needed to give X a chance even if X is carrying his route too vertical and dropped almost everything you've thrown at him this half. Throw it on a rope right at his number.

K-Rob Screen Complete - You don't mind this call. Udub is playing not to let anyone over the top. Give K-Rob a chance here to pick up some yards. Nice job by the WR's.

Snap The Ball! - Snap the ball right? Take the penalty. He see's it... not sure if it was too late or not. I know after the play on the live broadcast, Sark was yelling at Majors to make a F'n protection call. Don't love this play call either with all these stop routes. Let's get people on the move. Regardless, no time for a secondary option or scramble drill. I don't understand how Majors and Hutson can both not block the only guy that comes between them. Check out our boy Banks at the top of the screen. He's so good. Gonna make an NFL team real happy one day. If I'm a QB I can sleep easy at night with him at LT. I don't sleep easy with the other 4 yet. But we have the talent and depth to start making big progress there.

Near INT - Only thing I'm gonna say is that Worthy isn't the type of receiver who is going to get in there and give up himself to make this catch. UW is dropping 8. There are only so many holes in a zone and with 30 seconds left, you have to take some risks and your WR's do as well. See diagram below. Quinn throws it to the void space in the zone, underneath the safety, over the dropping LB's. Either Worthy doesn't see the space, or he does and he wants no part of it.

R.37d9520fc8abc3dc41fd4ad86824adee

Sack - LG - LG gets smoked. Ole!

Just going to end it here as the Hail Mary is all that's left. It's been fun to put these together. Shout out to @Nash Talks Texas for all his work on youtube. If there's something out there on the spring game, I'll be happy to post it. Looking forward to seeing progress from Quinn. Was the best and most comfortable he's looked since the OU game. Also looking forward to getting our first look at Arch Manning in the Burnt Orange.

Depth is building. I like what I'm seeing on offense especially if we can find a WR room that's loaded.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News