ADVERTISEMENT

Eyes of Texas

B33V0

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2017
I'm actually just tuning in to the whole fiasco.

After doing some digging, it seems the songs genesis does likely have some racist origins. It's not explicitly racist but, I can see how it would make many students more than uncomfortable. I may vary well be wrong but, I can not fathom why we would force players to engage in the song so long as they feel that way. Even if you think they are incorrect/mis-informed, it seems that it makes the most sense to be understanding of those who choose to question and challenge whether the genesis of certain traditions makes those traditions worthy of being upheld. Once again, even if the players are "wrong" in their assertion, I can't see why that would matter. Giving people space to process a very complicated past so they can learn to trust the past and current intentions seems like a natural way to heal and regain trust etc. Regardless if they are right or wrong.

Am I missing something here? Honestly asking because it seems most on this board favor the donors etc.

I also have a hard time understanding why UT does not out and distance themselves from the donors who have sent some of the recent emails I've read. Its not that it isn't a good look, but it makes you wonder why. I also have a hard time understanding why tradition would take precedent over actual students. To me, it seems about as smart as valuing the container over what is actually contained. The symbolism of Texas vs the actual living breathing heart of the university. The students, alumni etc are collectively the dog, not the tail. Tradions and symbolism would seem more the tail. (In the spirit of the last email I read) It would be sad to cling to them in a way that fundamentally fractures the ability to have trust between students and alumni.

Quick rant but I wanted to see peoples reaction to my initial thoughts about it all because I'm having a hard time understanding the defense of the song/doners on the board and realize I may be missing something etc

Reactions: longhorn_vesp
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News