ADVERTISEMENT

Fall Camp Updates

Good post, but I don't think Tom is trying to "make nice" with any coaches. Thoughts?

I don't remember the exact quotes, but many of his comments last year after games gave me this impression. Something like what a great guy so and so is, and not wanting to embarrass them. Bottom line, yes, he gives me the feeling he's making nice with opposing coaches.

Hind sight is always 20/20. It's a widely accepted strategy to go conservative with the lead, it was the execution not the strategy that was flawed last year.

After you've seen that you struggle to execute said strategy, it's a flawed strategy to continue using said strategy.

Everything starts in ya mind, "As a man thinkith so is he" That's what the Bible teaches. If you don't believe than you ain't right with God.
“Watch your thoughts, for they become words;
watch your words, for they become actions;
watch your actions, for they become habits;
watch your habits, for they become character;
watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

Hind sight is always 20/20. It's a widely accepted strategy to go conservative with the lead, it was the execution not the strategy that was flawed last year.

True, but there are different ways "go conservative" with the lead.

It's possible to be so oversimple and, consequently, ineffective that you're being conservative in appearances only. And coaches do this all the time. In reality, a proper quantitative analysis would show that playing in such a limited, predictable way, whether on offense or defense, is actually a highly risky, statistically unfavorable decision overall (i.e., not a conservative one).

Last edited:
“Watch your thoughts, for they become words;
watch your words, for they become actions;
watch your actions, for they become habits;
watch your habits, for they become character;
watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

That's right! Now if you will excuse me, I'm going to go have a threesome with Taylor Swift and Kate Beckinsale.

I don't remember the exact quotes, but many of his comments last year after games gave me this impression. Something like what a great guy so and so is, and not wanting to embarrass them. Bottom line, yes, he gives me the feeling he's making nice with opposing coaches.
OK, but with the points, I don't think he cares.

When you're behind, it makes logical sense to go for it, pull out all the stops, take extra risks, etc. Especially late or way behind.

Let's say you're driving to work or to some appointment, and you've got plenty of time... Do you drive like a video game player at that point? No.

Danny Young has a high ankle sprain and is expected to be out for about 3 weeks. Reports are that Roshon Johnston will be moved to RB for the time being. We're getting pretty thin at RB and haven't even played a game yet. I hope Ingram and Whittington can stay healthy.

Danny Young has a high ankle sprain and is expected to be out for about 3 weeks. Reports are that Roshon Johnston will be moved to RB for the time being. We're getting pretty thin at RB and haven't even played a game yet. I hope Ingram and Whittington can stay healthy.

That, and we need Kirk Johnson. For whatever reason, he can't seem to stay healthy. If he stays healthy, he's a pretty good RB and adds quality depth.

Son, as I was telling Jada at the Carousel Club in Dallas drinking beer one night before the Texas-OU FB game, Threesomes are a waste of time as there is always one of ya having to wait for the action, Man, I miss the old days , all the fightin and hell raisin in Dallas the night before the game

Last edited:
Reactions: Texas_Slim
OK, but with the points, I don't think he cares.

When you're behind, it makes logical sense to go for it, pull out all the stops, take extra risks, etc. Especially late or way behind.

Let's say you're driving to work or to some appointment, and you've got plenty of time... Do you drive like a video game player at that point? No.

Smh. What are you even arguing here? Lol. If your car breaks down every time you drive normal, then you better start driving faster, until you can fix the problem. How is this so hard to understand? Agree to disagree, or whatever.

Son, as I was telling Jada at the Carousel Club in Dallas drinking beer one night before the Texas-OU FB game, Threesomes are a waste of time as there is always one of ya having to wait for the action, Man, I miss the old days , all the fightin and hell raisin in Dallas the night before the game

And wtf are you talking about now? Are you even conscious these days? Jfc

You sound like a guy that has never had his balls licked while being ridden?

Reactions: Longyac and q1w2e3
Smh. What are you even arguing here? Lol. If your car breaks down every time you drive normal, then you better start driving faster, until you can fix the problem. How is this so hard to understand? Agree to disagree, or whatever.

You do realize that even though those games got closer than everyone would like they still won and it is possible that a pick six or something might have made it worse and cost the game. The point is, even though the execution was not good it still was enough to get the win. No one can say that it was the wrong plan because no one knows how the other option would have turned out. What if he kept the pedal down and runs Sam (which is what made the offense move) and he gets injured for the rest of the season? Then people would really have something to pull their hair out over.

I agree that it isn't worth arguing over and isn't a big deal, I just had to get that in because it's a message board and I get tired of reading about the condition of everyone's colon and need something else to talk about.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
You do realize that even though those games got closer than everyone would like they still won and it is possible that a pick six or something might have made it worse and cost the game. The point is, even though the execution was not good it still was enough to get the win. No one can say that it was the wrong plan because no one knows how the other option would have turned out. What if he kept the pedal down and runs Sam (which is what made the offense move) and he gets injured for the rest of the season? Then people would really have something to pull their hair out over.

I agree that it isn't worth arguing over and isn't a big deal, I just had to get that in because it's a message board and I get tired of reading about the condition of everyone's colon and need something else to talk about.
That's a good point. The "run the clock strategy" is pretty execution proof. Meaning, even with poor execution it is effective enough to win the game. As Texas showed, even with really poor execution it worked. If your offense and defense don't both completely blow it (see OU which couldn't have gone much worse) it is very effective.

The alternative strategy could pay bigger dividends, like being more likely to score more points but it also gives the opponent a better chance to get back in the game quicker. Any aggressive passing play could turn into an interception, while you are also leaving the QB at risk of a sack fumble. If your team doesn't connect, you also could end up punting after running very little clock.

That was Jack Ruby's Club.

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
Whether you're driving to work, playing cards, trying to have enough to retire, or trying to win the presidency, it makes sense to play it conservative when you've got it in the bag, and to play fast and loose when you're desperate.

Metcalf, shake your head all you want, but it's logical. In football or basketball, if you're ahead, you're more likely to rest your stars, especially those with injuries. Can that lead to blowouts becoming closer than desired?Sure. But it pays in the long run.

Reactions: q1w2e3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT