ADVERTISEMENT

FINALLY... The Debut of the 2018 LSR Top 100 is out!

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
Link to the 2018 Lone Star Recruiting Top 100

Man, you guys don't have any idea how glad I am to be making this post. The debut of every LSR in a specific recruiting class is always a monster of a chore because you're trying to accumulate as many names as possible from that class and in 85-percent of the cases (see what I did there), you're watching a kid for the first time.

If I come across a kid I like, I might get lost on him for an hour. I'll call people in the industry. I'll call a coach. I'll watch his film endlessly. By the time I get near the end, you've almost forgotten everything you specifically thought at the beginning, so I have to go back and rewatch all of the early watches again.

Mix in all of my other tasks I have, including two-year old twins, and... well... I'm sorry this out later than usual. Thank goodness, it's out here, though. I'm not ready to even think about 2019.

A few thoughts on the rankings distributions.

5.0: 3
4.75: 4-7
4.50: 8-13
4.25: 14-22
4.00: 15-38
3.75: 39-63
3.50: 64-87
3.25: 88-100

A few random thoughts...

For the last couple of weeks, I've been a little down on this class, thinking that it is one of the worst years I can remember at this time of the development stage in a long time. However, I've really warmed up to this group in the last few days. By waiting until June, I've been able to use summer camps info for this initial set of rankings and it allowed me to watch some kids that I hadn't previously seen or spent much time on.

Strengths of the class: Monster tight end class, Very strong offensive line and defensive back groups coming out of sophomore seasons (usually these position groups turn out big-time players later than other positions). Lots of athleticism.

Weaknesses of the class: Down year at quarterback. Running back and wide receivers aren't quite as dynamic as usual. Not a lot of elite of the elite front seven prospects.

Random player thoughts...

* I had a hell of a time deciding on the order of the top three. Angleton do-everything-star BJ Foster debuts at No.1 and projects as a five-star defensive back prospect, but I was very tempted to put two tight ends above him.

* Missouri City Ridge Point tight end Mustapha Muhammad is a monster and his offer list reflects it. Again, five stars in the making IMO.

* The guy that I have gone absolutely ga-ga over all week is Frisco Liberty tight end Reggie Chaney. Most of the attention on Chaney as a college prospect has come on the hardwood, as he ranks as a four-star prospect as a basketball prospect. However, I think his upside as a football player is even higher. I didn't see OJ Howard at 15 years of age, but I saw him in person at 17 and I imagine that Chaney is what he looked like at 17, but Chaney might have more raw athleticism, which is saying a ton. He doesn't have a football highlight film, but just watch what you can get your hands on and you'll fall in love.

* I had an impossible time deciding on the top OL in the state. I went with Darrell Simpson, but you could easily flop flop him with Luke Matthews. I mean that guy is playing on Sundays, right?

* Recent Texas offer Josh Moore is a certified bad ass. So is Jordan Moore. I've never had a brother duo ranked in the top 15 before, but there's a first time for everything. Josh is a national top 75 type prospect for me, while Jordan is more a national top 125-50. What's in the water in Yoakum?

* Manvel's Jalen Preston is the top wide receiver in the state by a clear distance at this stage of the process IMO.

* Malcolm Epps, who is an Alabama commit, is the third tight end in the Top 10. Unreal year at the position.

* Anthony Cook, Verone McKinley and Isaiah Humphries are my favorite guys in a very deep DB class,

* I've never even heard of Waxahachie Life High School, but my favorite DE in the state is probably Joshua Sanders. He's a 6-5, 200-pound player who has a lot of filling out to do do, but he's an active playmaker and has the most upside of any DE I've seen at this point.

* Cameron Yoe athlete Iverson Westbrook is every bit as much fun as his name demands.

* Cibolo Steele defensive end Juan Henry is a bit of a tweener at this stage, but he has a lot of talent. He camped at Texas this past weekend and passed the Dunlap eye-ball test as well.

* Clemens wide receiver Tommy Bush is one of the more underrated prospects in the state. Really good track times this spring and he has a tall, lean frame with a lot of room for growth.

Link to the 2018 Lone Star Recruiting Top 100

Feel free to ask any questions.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News