ADVERTISEMENT

Finally watched the game tape...my takes.

oldhorn2

Jan 2, 2013
1.Our O- Line did better than I ever hoped they would.
2.Our D-line....same thing
3.I fear ever giving Swoopes the ball, even at...ESPECIALLY at the goal line..He fumbled his TD run...luckily, our guy picked it up. His TD pass was as wide open and short as possible, and he still threw it like crap. Lucky it was caught.
4. I love Heard, but I can see why the coaches would not name him starter over Swoopes. He is an electric runner, which could not show up in practice, but his passing needs soooo much work. He throws a "slowball" on out routes which can be easy pick six...scary! This can be improved with work a la VY....I hope he works on it.
5.Poona will become a force, but we need ridgeway healthy. Tank needs to be more consistant. Bluett looks good to me.
6.D'Ante will be a huge force, but his conditioning needs to be even better.
7. I was ok with giving Gray the carries at the end, because he should have the experience to realize how important protecting the ball is in crunch time
8.This was huge in giving our young O-line confidence....and the whole team the ability to learn to TRUST each other.
9.You cannot....CANNOT underestimate what this game will mean for recruiting!

They cant help it....OU sucks!

Heard was 8 of 11, OU couldn't make them throw the ball! That was the crazy stat for me!

Good insight oldhorn. Swoopes td pass did look like someone fired a dead quail out of a potato gun.

Heard doesn't have zip on that 10 yard out. And if you're am OC, that out route takes away from your play book. Arm strength is one of those tricky things. Some coaches will tell you that kids can greatly improve arm strength at the college level, while others will tell you "they either got it or they don't". I'm in the middle of that debate. I think kids can get stronger, bit much like a 90 mph pitcher, I don't expect him to ever throw it 99.

The oline, I'm baffled. I was used to seeing 18 games worth of crap and then Saturday is was like someone flipped a switch and all the sudden BAM, we looked like we knew how to play oline. Weird. Usually you see a slow progression at oline. Up until Sat we had seen zero progression, then all the sudden they decide to show us hyperprogression.

Haines still needs to........... I'll just leave it at that.

I still want to see Malik go top shelf on someone. I know, I know, he'll get tossed for it, but that's ok. Sending that sportscenter top 10 out will scare the piss out of some dudes. The k st game would be the perfect time for it. That QB is the straw that stirs the drink for them. Going top shelf on him and sending him in for concussion protocol would be an eye opener.

K st Dr. to Hubener: "How many fingers am I holding up?"
Hubener: "Blue!"
K st Dr: "What day is it today?"
Hubener: "Fried chicken!"

Reactions: oldhorn2
Heard was 8 of 11, OU couldn't make them throw the ball! That was the crazy stat for me!

I could not agree more...we didnt HAVE to throw it more and thank goodness. This game will give our O-Line the confidence to play a little harder. Texasfred will tell you that the most important thing any unit can have going into battle is high moral and belief in self worth. That is what will let them hold those blocks just a bit longer...the REWARD!...Moving the chains is like trophies on the wall to those unsung heros....Feed the beast!

And Clob....thanks for the kind words. I dont expect Heard to improve much in arm strength...what I hope is that he learns when he can throw that and when he cant. To me that will determine whether heard becomes a great QB or not.

Reactions: TexExSpur
Heard seems to make smart passes so far. He doesn't try to force a throw because I'm sure he is aware of his limitations. No doubt he is being coached to tuck and run if the receiver isn't wide open. He will grow into a better passer, give him time. Right now his best attribute in the passing game is being smart and not forcing something which is usually hard for a young QB to grasp.

Guys, rewatch the line, yes you do see better effort and in many cases that has given our oline enough to spring our backs for bigger gains. But the real game changer on the oline is MR Caleb Bluiett. He threw some crushing blocks that absolutely sealed the defense in and gave our backs some beautiful running lanes. I hold him as the MVP of the offense for that game. The best example is the long run by Foreman. There were actually 3 guys that got off great blocks in that run. The center engaged the inside linebacker just enough to keep him out of the play. The right tackle sealed the DT and kept him out of the play and basically established the LOS. And then there was Bluiett, he blocked two guys on that play, one was a safety who basically ran himself out of the play and the second was a crushing block on a linebacker and created enough of a lane for Foreman to at lease get the first down. The rest of that was on Foreman's talent and Oklahoma's terrible tackling and pursuit angles.

If you want to know what has changed look no further than Caleb Bluiett.

Reactions: HornosaurusRex
The o line looked like a completely different group. There was a play from about the ten hard line I saw OU d line men get pushed into the endzone.
Some sites are reporting that Heard couldn't throw it. That's not accurate. He didn't need to throw it much. He did convert a few third downs through the air, and completed most of the passes he did throw.
KSU will be an interesting match up. They are good in run D and terrible in pass D. Heard will likely have to throw it some to get a win, but our receivers ought to be able to beat anyone that is covering them easily.
On offense they rarely pass it. They rely on the run more than we do, and it's running back by committee. From what I saw from our D line sat, they are going to have a rough time getting yards on the ground.

Reactions: HornosaurusRex
Horn01, the key, in my opinion, to keeping our offense on the field is this simple: keep from getting in 3rd and long. We haven't done well in 3rd and long all year. 3rd and short or even 3rd and manageable is in our wheelhouse. But 3rd and long will get us into trouble 9 times out of 10.

I could not agree more...we didnt HAVE to throw it more and thank goodness. This game will give our O-Line the confidence to play a little harder. Texasfred will tell you that the most important thing any unit can have going into battle is high moral and belief in self worth. That is what will let them hold those blocks just a bit longer...the REWARD!...Moving the chains is like trophies on the wall to those unsung heros....Feed the beast!

And Clob....thanks for the kind words. I dont expect Heard to improve much in arm strength...what I hope is that he learns when he can throw that and when he cant. To me that will determine whether heard becomes a great QB or not.
****************************************************************************************************************************
That is true, Mr Oldhorn2. I was coming home in my Uniform, a slick sleeve USMC Private. The last Officer I had in the 6 months Regular Training a Reservist gets had told me that he didn't want me to think I had not done a good job in training and that I would get some rank when I got home to my unit - but he hoped I understood the Regulars needed that stripe and the extra pay more than I did. I thanked him for taking the time with me. He had tried to get me to go Regular until I showed him my Wife to be which is why I was a Reservist.

Later, on the plane, I was struck by how plain jane a USMC Summer Service A Pvt looked compared to an Army Bird Colonel I was sitting near. He was immaculate and impressive. The Colonel did have quite a bit of Fruit Salad and shoulder flashes of the units he had been in. He saw me and asked the person sitting with me if he could trade with him . It turned out he wanted to speak to me. Best I can remember, generally, he said he was in some training unit and wanted to question me. "Private, I want to know what they tell you to get you to believe you're better than any Army Soldier. Common sense will tell you the bed rock training of both Services is Infantry Training.... period."

I said ( best I can remember ), "Sir, I have great respects for many of the formations in our Army. I have studied them all my life along with the MARINE CORPS. But here it is Sir. Do you Officers ever tell the Army boots who THEY were? My first classwork at Parris Island was not weaponry or hand to hand - but MARINE CORPS history. They told us about all the times the USMC was victorious and a few times they were not - but just died in place rather than give in. Every hallway we got to walk down , the walls were covered with portraits of great MARINES like Sergeant Major Dan Daly ( MOH (2), Navy Cross )who started the charge into Belleau Wood by MARINES that were pinned down in a wheat field. He stood up and screamed 'Come on you sonsa-bitches, do you want to live FOREVER?!' Then he charged the woods. The rest were ashamed not to charge and followed him.The Brigade destroyed LARGE parts of three if not four German Divisions in the Belleau Woods and the Germans named us "Tuefel Hunden." ( Devil Dogs ) General Vandergriff, Chesty Puller, Manila John Basilone..."Red Mike Edson...all the rest...are all on the walls, but when you come to the very last picture in the long long hallway, the face is blurred, the rank is not prominent - just the EG&A - and it is labeled, ' What will YOU do?' Sir, we are not told we are better than a Soldier. We are told it is our job to be better than the enemy- at all cost. TELL YOUR MEN WHO THEY WERE, SIR, and who you want them to BE."

I think the Longhorns need to hear about DKR, Tommy Nobis, Freddy Steinmark, James Street, Bill Bradley, The Wishbone Backfield, Earl Campbell, Ricky WIlliams -ALL the big Linemen and Linebackers, and DBs. How about some Longhorn HISTORY, Coach? Tell them who they were and who you want them to BE. Then, some glorious day when we play the Aggies again, and the Ref asks our Captain which goal he chooses to defend, maybe he'll quote Bradley and say "We don't give a sh**!" and mean it... and prove it.

Semper FI, and Hook em Horns!

Reactions: DHHorn and oldhorn2
****************************************************************************************************************************
That is true, Mr Oldhorn2. I was coming home in my Uniform, a slick sleeve USMC Private. The last Officer I had in the 6 months Regular Training a Reservist gets had told me that he didn't want me to think I had not done a good job in training and that I would get some rank when I got home to my unit - but he hoped I understood the Regulars needed that stripe and the extra pay more than I did. I thanked him for taking the time with me. He had tried to get me to go Regular until I showed him my Wife to be which is why I was a Reservist.

Later, on the plane, I was struck by how plain jane a USMC Summer Service A Pvt looked compared to an Army Bird Colonel I was sitting near. He was immaculate and impressive. The Colonel did have quite a bit of Fruit Salad and shoulder flashes of the units he had been in. He saw me and asked the person sitting with me if he could trade with him . It turned out he wanted to speak to me. Best I can remember, generally, he said he was in some training unit and wanted to question me. "Private, I want to know what they tell you to get you to believe you're better than any Army Soldier. Common sense will tell you the bed rock training of both Services is Infantry Training.... period."

I said ( best I can remember ), "Sir, I have great respects for many of the formations in our Army. I have studied them all my life along with the MARINE CORPS. But here it is Sir. Do you Officers ever tell the Army boots who THEY were? My first classwork at Parris Island was not weaponry or hand to hand - but MARINE CORPS history. They told us about all the times the USMC was victorious and a few times they were not - but just died in place rather than give in. Every hallway we got to walk down , the walls were covered with portraits of great MARINES like Sergeant Major Dan Daly ( MOH (2), Navy Cross )who started the charge into Belleau Wood by MARINES that were pinned down in a wheat field. He stood up and screamed 'Come on you sonsa-bitches, do you want to live FOREVER?!' Then he charged the woods. The rest were ashamed not to charge and followed him.The Brigade destroyed LARGE parts of three if not four German Divisions in the Belleau Woods and the Germans named us "Tuefel Hunden." ( Devil Dogs ) General Vandergriff, Chesty Puller, Manila John Basilone..."Red Mike Edson...all the rest...are all on the walls, but when you come to the very last picture in the long long hallway, the face is blurred, the rank is not prominent - just the EG&A - and it is labeled, ' What will YOU do?' Sir, we are not told we are better than a Soldier. We are told it is our job to be better than the enemy- at all cost. TELL YOUR MEN WHO THEY WERE, SIR, and who you want them to BE."

I think the Longhorns need to hear about DKR, Tommy Nobis, Freddy Steinmark, James Street, Bill Bradley, The Wishbone Backfield, Earl Campbell, Ricky WIlliams -ALL the big Linemen and Linebackers, and DBs. How about some Longhorn HISTORY, Coach? Tell them who they were and who you want them to BE. Then, some glorious day when we play the Aggies again, and the Ref asks our Captain which goal he chooses to defend, maybe he'll quote Bradley and say "We don't give a sh**!" and mean it... and prove it.

Semper FI, and Hook em Horns!

This post should be framed. I'm not kidding, you gave me goose bumps as I read it.

I was a Boy Scout leader when I lived in Utah. One of my scouts was the Grandson of a Vietnam Hero who earned the CMH. We lived right across the highway from Hill Air Force Base and one Saturday we took the time to take our scouts to the Air Force Aerospace Museum on the base. One of the exhibits was of this young mans Grand Father. You would think he would be welling up with pride and he was very proud of his grand father, but his words were. That is who I have to live up to.

I'm pleased to report he is doing just that. Very near the Air Force Base is a Park named Bernard Fischer Park. Named after this young man's grand father. This young man for his eagle project built a memorial to his grandfather at that Park.

In all my years, I have never met a finer young man than the grandson of Bernard Fischer. I've been gone for many years from that area, but I have no doubt he is still striving to live up to the legacy of his family.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT