First thoughts on the 2024-2025 Men's Basketball SEC Conference schedule...

WesMillerOB

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2015
From UT:

Southeastern Conference releases 2024-25 Men’s Basketball league schedule

Texas opens 18-game league slate with road contest at Texas A&M on January 4.

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. —
The Southeastern Conference released its Men’s Basketball league schedule on Tuesday for the upcoming 2024-25 season. The University of Texas opens conference action with a road contest at Texas A&M on Saturday, January 4 and concludes league play with a home game versus Oklahoma on Saturday, March 8.

Midweek games (Tuesday or Wednesday), game times and television information will be announced at a later date.

The Longhorns will play home conference games in Moody Center against the following opponents: Auburn (Jan. 7 or 8), Tennessee (Jan. 11), Missouri (Jan. 21 or 22), Texas A&M (Jan. 25), Arkansas (Feb. 4 or 5), Alabama (Feb. 11 or 12), Kentucky (Feb. 15), Georgia (March 1) and Oklahoma (March 8). Texas will make road trips to face Texas A&M (Jan. 4), Oklahoma (Jan. 14 or 15), Florida (Jan. 18), Ole Miss (Jan. 28 or 29), LSU (Feb. 1), Vanderbilt (Feb. 8), South Carolina (Feb. 22), Arkansas (Feb. 25 or 26) and Mississippi State (March 4 or 5).

Each SEC team plays the other 15 teams at least once during league play. Three teams will be played a second time during the schedule, two of which are permanent opponents and one that will change each year. The continuation and renewal of historic rivalries was a point of emphasis when creating the schedule as the SEC welcomes Oklahoma and Texas as new members in 2024-25. Additionally, preexisting home-and-away rotations for single-play opponents were preserved.

The 2025 SEC Men’s Basketball Tournament is slated for March 12-16 (Wednesday-Sunday) at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tenn.

A record-tying 10 SEC teams received postseason bids during the 2023-24 season. The SEC’s eight NCAA Tournament selections tied its previous best set in 2018. Additionally, to SEC teams competed in the National Invitation Tournament. The SEC has had 35 NCAA Tournament selections over the last five tournaments.]]

SEC Basketball Schedule 2024.png

BASKETBALL IS BACK!

Sorta.

It feels strange talking about basketball before the football season has even started considering that the majority of Texas fans are subscribed for football reasons. Well, it's ultimately up to Rodney Terry and this Longhorn team to start breathing life back into the program.

In taking a look at the schedule, my initial thought went something like this since the Horns open conference play with a familiar yet very punchable face:

Christian Bale Swag GIF

The home slate goes as follows....

Auburn
Tennessee
Missouri
A&M (game 2)
Arkansas
Alabama
Kentucky
Georgia
Oklahoma (game 2)

At first glance this feels like a very favorable schedule for the Horns. Going to places like Kentucky, Alabama, Arkansas, Tennessee isn't easy and it looks like Texas is going to avoid the gauntlet in year 1 of SEC play. Also, it doesn't hurt that the Longhorns have run a very similar type of gauntlet every season while playing in the Big 12 as I still consider the Big 12as the premier conference in college basketball. So from my perspective, things look favorable. They are more than prepared.

I predicted Texas to win the SEC this season, and at minimum play for a Sweet 16 (lofty expectations.....I know) because their roster from top to bottom is one of the best in college basketball. A lot of this hinges upon just how good Tre Johnson really is and whether he can live up to the expectations of being a truly elite scorer prior to even playing his first ever collegiate basketball game. If he can, look out. Rodney Terry might have a SQUAD on his hands.

As a reminder for what the starting 5 SHOULD be...

1. Jordan Pope
2. Tre Johnson
3. Tramon Mark
4. Arthur Kaluma
5. Kadin Shedrick

Couple that with guys like Chendall Weaver, Jayson Kent, and Julian Larry coming off the bench, you're looking at a group that from my perspective, is poised to make a run. I'm interested to see what the front court rotation will look like when Shedrick comes off the floor. To me, it screams that Texas will be playing some variation of small ball depending on the flow of the game. I'm excited to watch it.

In my opinion, this will be the season that will ultimately decide the fate of Rodney Terry's future as the head coach for the Texas Longhorns. I'll be doing a write up for the rest of the teams in the SEC and how Texas stacks up later this week so stay tuned.

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.