ADVERTISEMENT

Five important things Steve Sarkisian said on Wednesday

Anwar Richardson

Staff
Apr 24, 2014
HOUSTON – Texas Longhorn football coach Steve Sarkisian spoke during a press conference before addressing a crowd of supporters at the Touchdown Club of Houston on Wednesday.

Here are the highlights from his media availability:

1. Sarkisian was asked what else he was looking for in the transfer portal and said, “I'm sure there'll be a guy or two here that kind of fits what we're doing. And then we'll see if they come around.”

2. Sarkisian’s response when asked how he would carry over the culture from last season with the influx of new players: “When I talked about this team has a lot to prove, I really think there's a there's a group of veteran players that have a lot to prove. It dawned on me kind of watching the draft last weekend. I think about Jake Majors. I think about Gunnar Helm I think about Kelvin Banks. I think about Quinn Ewers. I think about Jaydon Blue. On the defensive side, I think Jahdae Barron. I think about Alfred. I think about Barryn Sorrell. There's a nucleus of probably another 10 to 15 … I feel they've got a lot to prove. Maybe not the y’all and the fans. I think they feel like they've got a lot to prove to that locker room. And they've got a lot to prove to those 11-13 guys who just left that we're ready to we're ready to step in and lead, and that’s a good thing.”

3. Sarkisian’s response when asked how he improved as a coach in 2023: “I think it's important for me, at least, I never want to go stale. I never want to just go, hey, we had a good season, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat. Let's do the exact same thing all over again. Every team takes on a different personality. There's different leaders. There's different personalities individually which ultimately make up the team. I try not to get stale. I'm analyzing our summer and how we're going to do our culture work. I'm analyzing it schematically. Are we utilizing our personnel the right way? Are there new schemes out there? Can I go visit with people to find different things to make sure that our players are really engaged? I don't know if I learned that about myself. But I do think that that's important for me, and not allowing our coaches to go that way. Now, we should not ever just change just to change. If we've got something good. Let's make sure that we continue to try to enhance that.”

4. Sarkisian was asked about his concern about the secondary after the spring game by Kirk Bohls. In addition, Sarkisian took exception to Bohls stating the defensive backs did not look good in the spring game.

“Didn’t look that good according to who?” Sarkisian asked.

When Bohls said he saw the cornerbacks getting beat, Sarkisian said, “I saw Kelvin Banks get beat. He’s going to be alright.”

In addition, Sarkisian said, “We're going to be just fine. We're going to be just fine in secondary. I think we got a lot of versatility back there. Manny Muhammad going into year two. I'm excited about him. Jaylon Guilbeau getting back into the fold from where he was in year one, and probably a better version of him today. I'm excited about his versatility to go along with Jahdae Barron and his versatility. And Jahdae having the ability to play multiple positions. Jaylon having the ability to play multiple positions. Love the addition of Andrew Mukuba from Clemson. I love the growth of Derek Williams of where he's at from where he was. I love the position change for Jelani McDonald having had his just his first spring at safety. I think he's got a really bright future for us there. The veteran leadership and Michael Taaffe is big. I think Gavin Holmes year two for him is going to be big for him.

“And then we've got some puppies back that are learning how to play, and just like any other position, those guys need to continually get developed. So to sit here and judge a high school kid who should still be going to his high school prom over how he got beat in the spring I think would be rushing to judgment.”

5. Sarkisian was asked if freshman receiver Ryan Wingo had an outstanding spring and said he moves like an older player. Sarkisian said he is stronger and faster than most freshman players who hit campus.

In addition, Sarkisian said he liked freshman running backs Jerrick Gibson and Christian Clark.

He loved what tight end Jordan Washington brought to his offense. Sarkisian praised freshman quarterback Trey Owens.

Alex January, Collin Simmons, Zina Umeozulu, Jordan Johnson-Rubell, Kobe Black flashed at different times during the spring. However, he said the biggest challenge for young players is finding consistency.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News