ADVERTISEMENT

Flame away but...

ElDiabloTejano

Sep 16, 2014
i thought yesterday was good, for many reasons.

we had to gut one out. it was good to see us scratch and claw out a victory when it seemed like very little was going right for us. speaks to the changing culture.

we knew quinn would remind us he's a freshman at some point. he was very bad early on. he got better as the game went on, which is good that he fixed whatever the problem was, and that the situation didn't crater his psyche. i suspect he'll have another freshman moment down the line, but i'm confident he'll get over that one as well.

i like that even though we heap praise, deservedly so, on the offense and all the weapons on that side, the two biggest plays of the game were made by the defense. further, they were made by the defense when they had their backs against the wall. third downs- absolutely frustrating. but they came up big when they had to. (side note-- those were 3rd and longs, which means we were taking care of 1st and 2nd down, as well).

i loved the run-run-run series'. i coach defense for the most part, and when spread teams start hurting us on the ground, i've always had the philosophy of "don't panic. spread guys have to show how smart they are, and they'll screw this up themselves." and i'm usually right. when we ran 2,3,4 times i kept thinking "sark is gonna have to show how smart he is here..." but he didn't. he stayed with the running game. i really liked that.

when they took the lead late, i was happy that we would get quinn in a situation where he had to have it on THIS drive. he, and the offense in general, needed that rep of that situation. bijan and roschon did much of the heavy lifting, but quinn still had to hit the screen and the td to worthy.

we aren't going to win every game 48-6-- only 1 team does that and they cratered last year when michigan punched them in the mouth and wouldn't stop. at the start of yesterday the best we could be at the end of the day was 5-2. we're 5-2, and hopefully watts and the OL that went down are okay. so you can cry, whine and gnash your teeth, but i'm going with the positives of the day.

Amen brother....and I would add "won" thing....(see what I did there?) I was talking to my boy after the game and we were both happy with the win but frustrated at how close it was. Like you I try to take the glass is half-full approach. I asked my son if he had noticed how many Longhorn missed tackles there have been this year. He thought about it and said...."a lot fewer than last year..."

That right there is improvement. When I think about the number of missed tackles under the Herman regime and last year, it does my heart good to see the boys flying to the ball, hitting low, wrapping up and most importantly, bringing some of their friends to the party.....

I agree with you. Yesterday's win was a big one. Yes, Texas came out flat and struggled, which isn't unusual after the OU game. ISU has been a thorn in Texas' side since Campbell has been the HC there, so it was good to beat them after losing three in a row to them. Now we've got the next two games on the road, with OSU and then KSU. OSU scares the hell out me. I'll take a win any way we can get it at Stillwater. Texas is going to need a big game from Quinn.

I really liked the way the offensive line played in the 2nd half yesterday. They did a really nice job of opening holes. You have to be able to run the ball against that 3-3-5 stack defense Iowa State runs or you won’t have much success.

The good thing about yesterday is that that’s the best defense we will face the rest of the year. The bad thing is that that’s the worst offense we will face the rest of the season. They have got to tighten up things on both sides of the ball next Saturday because Ok St. is a damn good football team.

I still believe if we play our game every Saturday from here on out we can beat anybody left on the schedule.

Texas loses this game last year. This year we win it. That alone shows improvement. We already equaled our win total from last year. Sark has the boys on the right track, and there is a lot to like about the direction Texas is headed.
Yep. That’s the main thing I took away from the game. We lose it last year. This is a pretty young team at key spots and you can see it growing. I don’t know how the next 5 games go, but I do know this program has improved and it feels like big things are ahead. Recruits get on board now before you wished your did.

I agree with you. Yesterday's win was a big one. Yes, Texas came out flat and struggled, which isn't unusual after the OU game. ISU has been a thorn in Texas' side since Campbell has been the HC there, so it was good to beat them after losing three in a row to them. Now we've got the next two games on the road, with OSU and then KSU. OSU scares the hell out me. I'll take a win any way we can get it at Stillwater. Texas is going to need a big game from Quinn.
And this week we don't play until 2:30. It's a sign that we've become important again.

Reactions: okiehorn
And this week we don't player until 2:30. It's a sign that we've become important again.
I was surprised that it wasn’t a prime time game. I thought for sure it would be. I’d be I’d be surprised if the TCU game is not a night game.

i thought yesterday was good, for many reasons.

we had to gut one out. it was good to see us scratch and claw out a victory when it seemed like very little was going right for us. speaks to the changing culture.

we knew quinn would remind us he's a freshman at some point. he was very bad early on. he got better as the game went on, which is good that he fixed whatever the problem was, and that the situation didn't crater his psyche. i suspect he'll have another freshman moment down the line, but i'm confident he'll get over that one as well.

i like that even though we heap praise, deservedly so, on the offense and all the weapons on that side, the two biggest plays of the game were made by the defense. further, they were made by the defense when they had their backs against the wall. third downs- absolutely frustrating. but they came up big when they had to. (side note-- those were 3rd and longs, which means we were taking care of 1st and 2nd down, as well).

i loved the run-run-run series'. i coach defense for the most part, and when spread teams start hurting us on the ground, i've always had the philosophy of "don't panic. spread guys have to show how smart they are, and they'll screw this up themselves." and i'm usually right. when we ran 2,3,4 times i kept thinking "sark is gonna have to show how smart he is here..." but he didn't. he stayed with the running game. i really liked that.

when they took the lead late, i was happy that we would get quinn in a situation where he had to have it on THIS drive. he, and the offense in general, needed that rep of that situation. bijan and roschon did much of the heavy lifting, but quinn still had to hit the screen and the td to worthy.

we aren't going to win every game 48-6-- only 1 team does that and they cratered last year when michigan punched them in the mouth and wouldn't stop. at the start of yesterday the best we could be at the end of the day was 5-2. we're 5-2, and hopefully watts and the OL that went down are okay. so you can cry, whine and gnash your teeth, but i'm going with the positives of the day.
Quinn had a freshman game but was really impressed that he had no turnovers while having a down game..says a lot.

Last year we lose this game by 2 TDs or more. We are still trending upward so I'll take it!

Quinn had a freshman game but was really impressed that he had no turnovers while having a down game..says a lot.

Last year we lose this game by 2 TDs or more. We are still trending upward so I'll take it!

If his down game still has a QB RTG of 160 and 3/0 TD/INT ratio then I'll take it. Good sign.

And I never saw him look panicked on his face. He just seemed calm the whole time.

The opening line for next week has us as a 1 point favorite on the road against OSU
Wow, what are they seeing that I'm not? Or vice versa. That OSU offense looked scary good doing everything our defense struggles against.

This is one of the games I had marked as a hard loss. Unfortunately I still think it will be but maybe closer than I had originally thought.

Wow, what are they seeing that I'm not? Or vice versa. That OSU offense looked scary good doing everything our defense struggles against.

This is one of the games I had marked as a hard loss. Unfortunately I still think it will be but maybe closer than I had originally thought.
Remember, these spreads are not the actual odds of winning, but the odds most likely to get equal amounts of money on both sides. Bookies want bet equality so that they can make their safe money off the rake they take from the winner.

If they think one team’s fans are delusional, the posted odds will slide more toward that team than what the technicians think the honest line should be.

In this case, I’d think honest would be OSU by 2 or 3, so oddsmakers must be thinking UT fans have an unrealistically optimistic view of our chances, and the odds are being pushed down to get more OSU money out there to even the wagers.

Oki St has really only beat baylor, crazy joey and lost to tcu. Texas has beaten ou, wv, isu and lost to crazy joey. Spread is accurate based on strength of schedule.

El Diablo....I said almost the same thing on another site. Some things stood out for me in this game:

* the best edge rusher in the conference got exactly ONE tackle all game. Our young & improving O Line held up.

* we knew we were thin at DB and it showed when Watts went out....We still held up.

* Big 12 officials continue to suck.....hard. Bama gave the rest of the NCAA the blue print for stopping the end zone pass....hold like mad because it will not be called.

*confidence HAS to be building.

Now we have to prove we can win in a hostile environment on the road....

OSU QB....Spenser is hurt and may not play

Central Mich put up 40 plus points on OSU in Stillwater... If we do that we win.

So looking into OSU a little more this morning and OSU's defense is ranked 110th in the country in total defense. They are giving up 5.5 yards per play and 437 yards per game. I knew their defense had been bad but I didn't realize it was that bad. This might be a game where there's 90+ points scored by both teams. This could be the Quinn Ewers coming out party this Saturday.

Also sounds like Spencer Sanders isn't 100%. He missed all weeks practice last week leading up to the TCU game. That's something to keep an eye on.

Reactions: LonghornMM
Line is up to 4 now.

Man, that line is whack. I show it at Texas -4 1/2 right now. I'm all over OSU. Wrong team favored. This line probably is taking into consideration Sanders' health though. If he's 100%, OSU should be favored at home.

If sanders is hurt, I get it. Backup qb's don't usually win big games. Frankly hope he doesn't play-- I hate that dang circus music fight song

Reactions: LonghornMM
If Sanders played last game without practicing all week then he is going to play this week as well.

Iowa State to OK St. my boss is big huge OSU alumnus, donar, etc. We are sticking to business this week. I didn’t text him Saturday after their loss to TCU. Professionalism first. Probably around 2:00 pm Saturday the shots accross the bow will start. I’m thinking our boys will have a direct hit.

Man, that line is whack. I show it at Texas -4 1/2 right now. I'm all over OSU. Wrong team favored. This line probably is taking into consideration Sanders' health though. If he's 100%, OSU should be favored at home.

Line has gone to Texas -6 now.

strange how the National perspective of our team is higher than we seem to have it at home. There are even national ranking services that have us in the top 5. I suspect the world was astonished at what Ewers was doing to Bama when they took him out.

We havnt seen that kind of effort from our defense since, but they have been still better than what the perception is around here.Tech abused them, but no one since has had that kind of luck.ISU got going late, but only after our secondary was depleted by injury......none serious and none that will keep our guys out this week.

give the points....we are about to start rolling.

Reactions: Hoookem722
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT