ADVERTISEMENT

Former Texas HS coach on Art Briles

BringBackRoyal

Jan 3, 2004
I believe this post originated on the OB premium board; it's now making the rounds on other boards. The poster includes a long, damning quote from an anonymous former Texas HS coach about Art Briles (second paragraph).

(All of the standard caveats about anonymous message board info and possible ulterior motives apply, of course.)

There are endless things to say about the ongoing developments at Baylor, and with many facts still missing, it’s hard to say anything utterly definitive, but I felt like it was worth sharing a quote from a former high school football coach that claims to have known Art Briles on a personal level for decades:

'This day has been decades in the making. All the shady, vile, amoral attitude and behavior of Art Briles' "win at any cost" philosophy has finally caught up to him. He's been racking up a debt against Karma for years and now the bill has finally come due. You reap what you sow, Art. You reap what you sow. This day is for the high school kids you tacitly encouraged to inject poison into their bodies. This day is for the high school kids whom you openly encouraged to play dirty in order to intimidate the opposition. This day is for the high school kids who suffered severe dehydration and needed hospitalization because you prevented air conditioning in the visitor's locker room in order to gain a competitive advantage. This day is for the high school coaches who had to put up with game film missing entire offensive series of your teams so you'd have a competitive advantage. This day is for the high school coaches who you refused to shake hands with after they upset you and ended your winning streak. This day is for the college coaches who had to put up with your false allegations of recruiting violations when you didn't get the kid you wanted. This day is for the college kids who you blocked their transfer when they wanted to be closer to their ailing parents and siblings. This day is for the college kids whom you enabled to continue to do bad things at the expense of learning accountability and integrity so you could continue to win games. But mostly, this day is for the young women whose lives were destroyed by your lack of morality, humanity, and decency. This day is the end of your career on the sidelines. And if you stop to listen, you can hear above the anguished cries of self-righteous indignation from your cult of Baylor fans in Waco the sweet, melodious chorus of justice from heaven's angels. May their anthems ring in your ears for eternity.'

So with that, to all the Baylor people that continue to blindly defend Art Briles, I say shame on you. And to all the Baylor fans that are patting themselves on the back and self-congratulating Baylor for “doing the right thing,” shame on you too. The right thing to do was to fire Briles last August when this dumpster fire of pure evil finally came to light. Instead, Baylor and its fans chose to defend Briles at the most disgusting levels. They screamed that this was all a conspiracy and that people were just jealous of their success. Well guess what Baylor? The only conspiracy were the sickos at your "Christian" school going to criminal lengths to cover up rape. As it appears, the Baylor Board of Regents only fired Briles because Ken Starr threatened, and still does, to go public with what the external investigation found. Starr refused to be a scapegoat, leaked that he told the regents to release the full external report, and left the regents no choice but to fire Art Briles. Just a few days ago, after getting the Pepper Hamilton external report, the regents were planning on canning Starr and doing everything they could to keep Briles. So now Baylor wants people to celebrate them for making the hard decision and “doing the right thing” after actively harboring a Rape Enabler for years? Give me a break Baylor. You didn’t chose to “do the right thing.” You were pinned into a corner and forced to.

Last edited:
I have no reason to believe any of this, if he feels that strongly he should put his name on it and not make these claims that cannot and have not been substantiated for the most part. I think Briles is pretty despicable but that does not mean we should believe all these things about him without some corroboration.

Reactions: diadevic
I believe this post originated on the OB premium board; it's now making the rounds on other boards. The poster includes a long, damning quote from an anonymous former Texas HS coach about Art Briles (second paragraph).

(All of the standard caveats about anonymous message board info and possible ulterior motives apply, of course.)

There are endless things to say about the ongoing developments at Baylor, and with many facts still missing, it’s hard to say anything utterly definitive, but I felt like it was worth sharing a quote from a former high school football coach that claims to have known Art Briles on a personal level for decades:

'This day has been decades in the making. All the shady, vile, amoral attitude and behavior of Art Briles' "win at any cost" philosophy has finally caught up to him. He's been racking up a debt against Karma for years and now the bill has finally come due. You reap what you sow, Art. You reap what you sow. This day is for the high school kids you tacitly encouraged to inject poison into their bodies. This day is for the high school kids whom you openly encouraged to play dirty in order to intimidate the opposition. This day is for the high school kids who suffered severe dehydration and needed hospitalization because you prevented air conditioning in the visitor's locker room in order to gain a competitive advantage. This day is for the high school coaches who had to put up with game film missing entire offensive series of your teams so you'd have a competitive advantage. This day is for the high school coaches who you refused to shake hands with after they upset you and ended your winning streak. This day is for the college coaches who had to put up with your false allegations of recruiting violations when you didn't get the kid you wanted. This day is for the college kids who you blocked their transfer when they wanted to be closer to their ailing parents and siblings. This day is for the college kids whom you enabled to continue to do bad things at the expense of learning accountability and integrity so you could continue to win games. But mostly, this day is for the young women whose lives were destroyed by your lack of morality, humanity, and decency. This day is the end of your career on the sidelines. And if you stop to listen, you can hear above the anguished cries of self-righteous indignation from your cult of Baylor fans in Waco the sweet, melodious chorus of justice from heaven's angels. May their anthems ring in your ears for eternity.'

So with that, to all the Baylor people that continue to blindly defend Art Briles, I say shame on you. And to all the Baylor fans that are patting themselves on the back and self-congratulating Baylor for “doing the right thing,” shame on you too. The right thing to do was to fire Briles last August when this dumpster fire of pure evil finally came to light. Instead, Baylor and its fans chose to defend Briles at the most disgusting levels. They screamed that this was all a conspiracy and that people were just jealous of their success. Well guess what Baylor? The only conspiracy were the sickos at your "Christian" school going to criminal lengths to cover up rape. As it appears, the Baylor Board of Regents only fired Briles because Ken Starr threatened, and still does, to go public with what the external investigation found. Starr refused to be a scapegoat, leaked that he told the regents to release the full external report, and left the regents no choice but to fire Art Briles. Just a few days ago, after getting the Pepper Hamilton external report, the regents were planning on canning Starr and doing everything they could to keep Briles. So now Baylor wants people to celebrate them for making the hard decision and “doing the right thing” after actively harboring a Rape Enabler for years? Give me a break Baylor. You didn’t chose to “do the right thing.” You were pinned into a corner and forced to.
Thanks so much, BBR for sharing this. I, too, have waited for karma to visit. Better late than never.

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
I have no reason to believe any of this, if he feels that strongly he should put his name on it and not make these claims that cannot and have not been substantiated for the most part. I think Briles is pretty despicable but that does not mean we should believe all these things about him without some corroboration.
Likely a mix of truth and sour grapes. Anonymous coach should put his name on it, or stfu in my opinion.

Likely a mix of truth and sour grapes. Anonymous coach should put his name on it, or stfu in my opinion.

Based on what we know, it sounds like the truth. Why should he put his name on it, Briles is a piece of shit enabler, that deserves the respect of no one. Briles didn't put his name on what he should have, so f!@# him. His credibility is shot, that arrogant maggot only has himself to blame. No sympathy for his kind. He's the devil.

Damn BBR with the post of the day, maybe the most damning post I've ever read??

I got my start in Texas High School football right around the time Briles went to Tech. I think it was my second year at coaching school in Ft Worth and Kendall was playing in the all star game. After the game Briles and his family were sitting at the table next to us at the Bennigeins in DT Fort Worth. Talked to him for a bit seemed like a nice dude.

However the part about the steroids and the game film have been floating around for a long time. Have heard that from multiple North Texas coaches. Cant comment on the other stuff.

Based on what we know, it sounds like the truth. Why should he put his name on it, Briles is a piece of shit enabler, that deserves the respect of no one. Briles didn't put his name on what he should have, so f!@# him. His credibility is shot, that arrogant maggot only has himself to blame. No sympathy for his kind. He's the devil.
I am not taking up for Briles, he is trash, who recruits predators.
But he also beat a lot of HS coaches, over many years. So sour grapes would be typical. Why not give your name if you are being truthful? Briles name is mud, no one is going to be mad when you call a turd a POS.

But he also beat a lot of HS coaches, over many years. So sour grapes would be typical. Why not give your name if you are being truthful? Briles name is mud, no one is going to be mad when you call a turd a POS.

Meh. He said virtually nothing that hasn't already been said numerous times before. Not everyone wants to deal with the reactions of psychopathic fans like the legions of Briles dead-enders at Baylor.

Last edited:
A couple years ago when Texas was looking for a new head coach, the idea of going after Art Briles came up. Briles basically told Texas that if they wanted him that we had to hire him with no interview and no background check. Just offer him the most money.

Now I understand why Briles said that. He had skeletons in his closet he didn't want anyone to find out about.

Quote from "HS Coach":
And to all the Baylor fans that are patting themselves on the back and self-congratulating Baylor for “doing the right thing,” shame on you too.
To all the Briles-haters and other anti-Briles fans who are now patting themselves on the back, congratulating themselves for being prescient, you're doing so after we know about the scandal.

In anything, some people turn out to have been right. Continue to beat the odds consistently, and then I'll listen.

When I suggested Briles as Mack's replacement, I don't recall anything specific against the man. When he supposedly refused to be interviewed, no one said (AFAIK), "Whew! Dodged a bullet, there!"

Reactions: diadevic
From a pure coaching standpoint I always thought UT should have gone after Briles. Who knows, he goes to Texas, he may not have found himself in the same predicament he is now. He obviously turned Baylor football around and apparently took drastic measures to do so, maybe wouldn't have been the same outcome at Texas.

To all the Briles-haters and other anti-Briles fans who are now patting themselves on the back, congratulating themselves for being prescient, you're doing so after we know about the scandal.

In anything, some people turn out to have been right. Continue to beat the odds consistently, and then I'll listen.

When I suggested Briles as Mack's replacement, I don't recall anything specific against the man. When he supposedly refused to be interviewed, no one said (AFAIK), "Whew! Dodged a bullet, there!"

I feel ya, but some did say whew, we dodged a bullet. Anyone that arrogant, needs to be kicked in the ass. That clown didn't even want to interview, I don't know how that didn't rub everyone the wrong way. I wanted to kick him in his teeth. Some believed the stories on Briles, others did not. But even before the scandal fully broke, there was enough info out there to know that Briles was enabling the activity taking place on his team. And several expressed that on this board. Some just chose to ignore it or not believe it, for whatever reason. But hey, Texas is moving in the right direction, and Baylor is not. All is well.

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
Was the final paragraph yours, BBR?

Anyway, the first paragraph wasn't written by a HS Coach, but by a male extravert who doesn't really care about the victims as much as the game of football. Someone educated, who nevertheless spends time on message boards like OB. Fan or alum of another school (i.e., not Baylor).

Last edited:

I've been saying Briles is a lying, cheating, scumbag for years. If I saw your post wanting him at Texas, and didn't respond, it's probably because I was tired of getting in arguments with Horns fans defending that pos.

I know a guy from Brownwood that played against him during his first couple of years at Stephenville. Said he was a jack ass back then.
What gets me is reading through some of the BU postings, these tards really believe this is a UT and espn conspiracy to bring down Baylor because of their "success".
Listen dipsh!ts, we don't have to bring you down. You did that on your own.

Was the final paragraph yours, BBR?

No, only the three introductory sentences are mine.

I strongly disagree here. There were a number of people adamantly opposed to hiring Briles, myself included (and not only because he doesn't give a sh*t about defense).

Many of the allegations in the coach's comment have been well-known and widespread for quite some time. No, we don't have definitive proof for any of them. We don't get to assign a USAO and the FBI to investigate the veracity of every claim about a coach's behavior or character. But it's also true that coaches aren't usually trailed by repeated allegations of unethical behavior on the basis of "jealousy" alone, and fans certainly don't need to wait for a criminal trial level of proof to be justified in drawing some negative inferences against the coach.

This picture of Briles as someone who would cut his own family's throats to win a football game gains further support when you think about all of the Baylor players -- players like Ahmad Dixon -- that have been allowed to exhibit blatantly and dangerously dirty play game after game and year after year with absolutely zero consequences from their head coach. That just doesn't happen by accident.

These were the things on my mind, and on numerous other fans' minds, when Briles' name surfaced for the open Texas job. I've thought Briles was an unethical snake for a long time. I didn't imagine that he was this much of a scumbag -- but I'm also not at all shocked that he is, given the above.

There are a lot of HS coaches in Texas that have beaten teams regularly, and some that are still beating teams regularly that don't have the reputation Briles has.

As a matter of fact, most of the successful coaches in Texas HS are respected by their opponents even though they get there buts whipped by them.

Don't buy the sour grapes angle.

Last edited:
IMO, the Art Briles' of the world somewhere, somehow always get exposed. Someone or something raises the lid and reveals the rot and stench that exists on the inside. The question is, who at Baylor has the character, fortitude, and a sense of just plain right and wrong to come forward with a public admission. From my perspective, Baylor leadership has not exhibited any of those qualities. My guess their still in spin mode hoping that firing Briles will buy them some time to hide more of the ugly truth that may still be crying to come out.

There are a lot of HS coaches in Texas that have beaten teams regularly, and some that are still beating teams regularly that don't have the reputation Briles has.

As a matter of fact, most of the successful coaches in Texas HS are respected by their opponents even though they get there buts whipped by them.

Don't buy the sour grapes angle.
Question - and this isn't attempting to pick a fight - but all I read/heard (including on this site) over the last 8 years was how revered Briles was by Texas high school coaches, that he was one of them, and that his connections to high school coaches helped get his foot in the door for recruiting. This was THE dominant narrative of his success. Was this never true? I never heard/read one bad thing about him until a year ago when the Sam U rape/conviction occurred (except from Fatterson regarding the A.Dixon late hit). Am I wrong?

Question - and this isn't attempting to pick a fight - but all I read/heard (including on this site) over the last 8 years was how revered Briles was by Texas high school coaches, that he was one of them, and that his connections to high school coaches helped get his foot in the door for recruiting. This was THE dominant narrative of his success. Was this never true? I never heard/read one bad thing about him until a year ago when the Sam U rape/conviction occurred (except from Fatterson regarding the A.Dixon late hit). Am I wrong?

I obviously don't know the feelings of all coaches on this, but all the coaches I do know pretty much agree Briles is and has been a POS. However, even a POS has friends and supporters.

People can take the quote in the op anyway they like since there is nothing to back it up, but from the information I have acquire over the years I believe it.

I'm sure there are HS coaches on this board that actually know Art. It would be interesting to hear from them.

I've been reading for years about steroid use at Stephenville HS under Briles. And tacitly approving dirty play.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
I think you heard what you wanted to hear.

A couple years ago when Texas was looking for a new head coach, the idea of going after Art Briles came up. Briles basically told Texas that if they wanted him that we had to hire him with no interview and no background check. Just offer him the most money.

Now I understand why Briles said that. He had skeletons in his closet he didn't want anyone to find out about.
The same couple of years ago when y'all had Saban hired?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT