Game Recap: Ivan Melendez is on the brink of history, Texas beats Kansas 8-1

AaronLittleOB

Gold Member
Feb 11, 2022
Winning Pitcher: Lucas Gordon (6-1)
Losing Pitcher: Cole Larsen (1-9)
BOX SCORE

THE RECORD HAS BEEN TIED

Texas clinched a series victory over Kansas with an 8-1 win on a historic night at the Disch. Following an Eric Kennedy home run in the first inning, Ivan Melendez stepped up to the plate looking to make history, and he did. Cole Larsen gave Ivan a 2-0 cookie over the plate and Melendez sent the pitch over the road that runs beyond the left field wall. “I was definitely up in the count 2-0 and kinda earned myself a pitch to drive and I didn’t miss it,” said Melendez regarding his 28th home run of the year which tied him with Kyle Russell for most homers in a season in Texas history. “I feel honored and I feel like I achieved something, but the job is not done,” claimed Melendez after the big night.

OTHER INDIVIDUAL PERFORMANCE TO NOTE

Eric Kennedy did not break any prestigious records on Friday, but he did tally three hits and launch two home runs of his own. Kennedy claimed he had never really been hurt in his life until this season, and judging by his performance on Friday he seems pretty ready to help this team go on a run. The UT left-fielder will likely be hitting in front of Ivan Melendez in many upcoming games and told reporters that, “we joke about it, he (Ivan) might be the best college hitter of all-time, not only is he leading in homers but he’s leading in average… Coach Pierce gave me the green light to steal but every time Ivan comes up he takes it off.” This Texas lineup is already a nightmare to navigate and adding Eric Kennedy to the top of the lineup will further complicate the situation for opposing pitchers.

THE ARMS

The Lucas Gordon hype train kept rolling along Friday night. Gordon gave up five hits and drilled three Jayhawks, but he got out of every jam that he put himself in. Gordon’s emergence as a star pitcher has been the single most important development on this team. Texas fans will get to see many more Lucas Gordon Friday night starts in 2023 and should be thrilled about it. 6 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 6 K, 1 BB.

Lost in the shuffle of an awful season of relief pitching, is Marcus Olivarez and his 0.46 ERA. Olivarez continues to be a reliable option out of a bullpen that is still not trustworthy, but is improving as of late.

TAKEAWAYS

With a win tomorrow the Horns will clinch 5th place in the Big 12 and a 9 AM first pitch on Wednesday. With a home run on Saturday, Ivan Melendez can claim the single-season dinger title all to himself. When asked about what it would be like to break the record at home Ivan stated, “It’d be something special. Because we are not too sure if we are going to host or not, this may or may not be my last home game so I think going out and making history in front of the home crowd, I think that would be something special and it would mean a lot to me.” It will be interesting to see if Ivan gets a pitch he can mash tomorrow because if he does, there should be little doubt about what would happen next.

UP NEXT

No. 22 Texas (38-17, 13-10) will look to complete the sweep of Kansas on Saturday at 2:30 and clinch the five seed in the Big 12 Tournament. The pitching matchup is Zane Morehouse (3-0, 4.11) vs. Ryan Vanderhei (5-6, 6.56).

HookEm

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News