ADVERTISEMENT

Golden or Labrador

I know everyone knows this but I'll say it anyway, if you go with a golden, which are great dogs and I have two, please do not get one from a backyard breeder. They have almost ruined the breed by overbreeding and perpetuatuating cancer and hip dysphasia in these awesome dogs.
I don't know any active breeders right now but go through the Austin/San Antonio. Houston or Dallas golden chapters to find a litter on the ground. You may have to wait for a new litter because the,quality breeders usually have a waiting list.
With my two current goldens I've learned there really is a difference between show lines and field lines. I have one of each and they have different dispositions and energy levels.

I have had both breeds. I had a female black lab that lived 16 years and she was just an incredibly sweet and smart dog. I literally had her trained to fetch my remote controls, back then I had 3 remotes and I could tell her to get a certain remote by the colored tape I had on them. She would also fetch beers for me. Not just in the house where I had a towel on the fridge so she could open it up, but also when camping she would open up the cooler and literally dunk her head in the ice to fetch a beer. She was also a trained bird dog and was an excellent hunting dog. You can hardly go wrong with a lab.

I currently have a red colored male golden retriever. He is 7 years old and is a great dog, but not quite as smart as my lab was. He has had some leg problems too, he tore his ACL and had to have surgery to fix it, so he is a little gimpy 2 years after the surgery. But, he is a great dog.

Also, on a side note my golden sheds a lot more than my lab did. My lab had short hair and still shed a lot, but not near as much as my golden. My wife is constantly complaining about all the dog hair in the house from our golden. She didn't complain much with our lab.

You really can't go wrong with either dog, but I think one of the most important things when picking out a new dog is to do your research on the breeder and actually have them give you references of other dogs they have sold. I have a friend that bought a supposedly full bred lab from a breeder with all the AKC paperwork supposedly showing the dogs lineage and it turned out the dog he got was not 100% lab. He still kept the dog, it is a very sweet dog, but you can tell by looking at it that it is not 100% lab. He sued the breeder and got his money back, but he can't breed the dog now like he wanted to.

I know everyone knows this but I'll say it anyway, if you go with a golden, which are great dogs and I have two, please do not get one from a backyard breeder. They have almost ruined the breed by overbreeding and perpetuatuating cancer and hip dysphasia in these awesome dogs.
I don't know any active breeders right now but go through the Austin/San Antonio. Houston or Dallas golden chapters to find a litter on the ground. You may have to wait for a new litter because the,quality breeders usually have a waiting list.
With my two current goldens I've learned there really is a difference between show lines and field lines. I have one of each and they have different dispositions and energy levels.
I plan on going thru one of the local chapters. I am in no big hurry. I don't retire until the end of next year. I can understand the difference in energy levels between a field and show line but what did you notice in disposition?

I’ve had both, and they’re both amazing dogs. Previously had labs and now have a golden. We have a two year old Golden and it’s the best dog I’ve ever had. Golden’s coat do take a little more maintenance. I brush ours a couple times a week and that’s all he needs.

You probably know this since you have had Labs, but make sure you research the breeders for both breeds. Both have an increase in bad breeders to take advantage of the popularity of the dogs. Having a good brewer is key.

I would go with a golden. I will never get another breed now. PM me if you want the name of our breeder. She’s located in the Tyler area. I called about 10 people and liked her the best so we drove from Austin to Tyler to get our pup.

As for breeders my son and daughter in law got their chocolate lab from a breeder in Spring Branch. Can't remember the name but she's a beautiful dog.

Have had a Golden and a Black Lab. I was more attached to the Golden. Named him Michelob due to his coloring. He was my first dog I could call my own. I was young and single, had a Jeep Scrambler and he went everywhere with me. Trained him myself for ducks and doves. He loved floating the river with me and our friends. He was my best friend and best dog ever. Nothing against the Black Lab. She was great as well and loved playing soccer with the kids. Dog knew which team she was on and was good for at least 2 goals per game. Both dogs were great companions but Michelob was irreplaceable.

I’d get a dog that doesn’t shed.
This is what we did and went with a Golden Doodle. I wanted an inside dog that doesn’t shed for our two kids. It’s an incredible breed IMO. If I were in a different spot and wanted an outside dog and had a bigger backyard, I’d go with a Golden Retriever. Great dogs, but obviously can’t go wrong with labs either.

I'm partial to labs, but I've loved having goldens in my family before as well. It's really hard to go wrong here. Maybe just check what litters are in your area and go with your gut after visiting a couple.

I think he just wants a dog, not to come out of the closet.

If owning a fine specimen such as this makes you gay..
aca2cd6011c4f57d-IMG_3607.jpg

Call me Liberace. GOAT dog breed.

We are on our fourth golden. Amazing dogs. Our son got bit by a lab once, so I guess I like golden better! I also think they are prettier. Heart of Gold breeders in Arkansas are awesome. The puppies are raised inside. You can look them up on-line. I

Planning on retiring soon and one of the first things I will do is get another dog. I have had labs in the past and loved them but am open to the idea of a golden retriever, especially a dark one that is kind of burnt orange.

Pros and cons of the two. If I go lab it will be a chocolate. Breeders contacts would be appreciated.

Thanks.
for hunting or pet?

Planning on retiring soon and one of the first things I will do is get another dog. I have had labs in the past and loved them but am open to the idea of a golden retriever, especially a dark one that is kind of burnt orange.

Pros and cons of the two. If I go lab it will be a chocolate. Breeders contacts would be appreciated.

Thanks.
We have an English Cream Golden and a perfectly burnt orange American Golden. Both are really smart, incredibly loving and easy with kids and adults. Playful as hell, even at 6 and 8 years old, respectively. Labs are great dogs (ours play with a couple Labs at playground nearby), but Goldens are beautiful and always fun. They do love to eat and especially love treats.

Anyone saying “no question” clearly hasn’t owned both breeds. Both are awesome.

Personally, I prefer Goldens. If I wanted to train the dog to be a Gun Dog, I’d probably go with Lab over Golden, but both can do be trained.
Just don't hope to train your Golden to be a watch dog! Ours would welcome a terrorist for dinner.
And don't leave anything on the floor- everything is a retrievable item.

Thanks.
This is a GREAT organization. Check it out. www.hotlabrescue.com

I’ve had a female chocolate, a female golden, and I currently have a male yellow. The golden was way smarter and got out of the puppy phase about a year earlier. However, we bought the golden from a backyard breeder and had all kinds of problems. She died of cancer at 8. My chocolate made it to 14. My next dog will absolutely be a golden, but we’ll go through a reputable breeder. My in-laws have 3 from a breeder in Wyoming. I’d rather spend $2k up front than $1k per year in vet bills.

Reactions: BucketList
You know you can also get a lab in that color. Look up fox red lab. Absolutely beautiful dog. I’ve been looking to a finished or near finished one for two years with no luck.

Do you know any great fox red breeders?

I’ve had 5 friends with goldens and 4 of them ate dog shit. My lab friends never had that as an issue. I’m sure it’s some odd coincidence, but I’ve always said I’d never have a golden because of that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT