ADVERTISEMENT

Happy Birthday Tyler Rose!

My idle since childhood.
Happy birthday Earl Campbell!!
And as always...HOOK'EM!!

I have to go with Jim Brown on this one. He was fast...and he was powerful. Couple that with great vision and he was about as unstoppable as there was.

I'll share a good story about Earl with you guys. My senior year at UT, I only needed 1 class to graduate so I had a lot of free time on my hands that semester. So when my GF asked me if I wanted to bartend at the alumni club at Memorial Stadium on game days . . . I said sure.

Earl was at almost every game. He drank Michelob and I'd see him walking over and pop him a cold one. We got to know each other a little bit through that season. He'd arrive early, get a table on the far left end of the club with his GF/wife. Then he'd walk down to the other end where I bartended and order his beers. Sometimes he was with other NFL guys, sometimes not.

Earl was easy to chat with, good guy and down to earth. He liked his beer cold and his gals hot so we always had some fun conversations. 30 years later the thing that continues to strike me was his physique.

We've all seen those photos of body builders, all roided up, with massive legs and huge chests. Well Earl looked like that naturally. When God was passing out the DNA, He gave Earl some that 99.9% of the rest of us didn't get. Yeah, nobody could rock a pair of Wranglers and cowboy boots like ole Earl!

Good memories.

I heard he had huge thighs. Tony Dorset called him the Joe Frazier of rb's.

A favorite Earl Campbell story of mine when he was at TX. Against AR instead of waiting for a punt before he went back on the field Earl snuck onto the field. He proceeded to block the punt and somebody ran it back for a td.

Earl was royalty when I was at UT. When he strolled down the sidewalk on the 40, we stepped aside in awe. Celebrated this week with some good ol EC hot links in a tortilla.
Hook em Horns!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT