ADVERTISEMENT

Hook’em and RIP Dad

dylanguy

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2005
My dad signed a pro baseball contract out of Denison High School in 1952(Cleveland )There was no draft back then. He played a total of 6 years(mostly Dodgers organization)and was also in the Army at the same time, but never saw action. Never made it to the bigs, but did pitch for the big league club in an exhibition game in Indianapolis before the Indy 500 race in 1952.

He started going to school at Texas in the Fall’s and playing pro ball in the Spring, because baseball wasn’t year round back then. He end up being a Student Assistant Coach for Bibb Falk in 59 and 60. Coach Falk was the reason my Dad retired. He needed 3 classes to graduate and they were only offered in the Spring. He asked Coach Falk what he should do, and Coach Faluk said, ‘Boy, it’s time you come on back to school and get on with your life’.

He did and he coached High School and Juco baseball for a total of 25 years. After that, he starting helping out the softball coach at St Joseph’s in Victoria where he and my Mom had settled. My parents were married for 61 years to the day until she passed Jan 9th, 2015. He made it another 9 1/2 years without her moving to Cedar Park shortly after her death. He started the girls softball program for the Homeschooled kids in Austin at age 83, and was the first girls softball coach at Hill Country Christian School as well, at age 86. He finally had to give that up but he was still hitting ground balls then, just not like he used to.

I’ll say he gave’m hell for a long time. I’m proud of everything he did and the work ethic he taught myself and all my brothers.

I’m thankful to have seen him live to age 91 with such vigor, only starting the downhill path after suffering a stroke last April after coming home from a Westwood High Softball game. He loved baseball, softball and being around young people, and I think that kept him young for so long.

He was all Texas! I mean everything Texas Longhorns he would follow. It won’t be the same without him but I am proud we both have that University of Texas diploma in common, along with our DNA.

Thanks for listening.🤘🏻

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News