ADVERTISEMENT

***** HOUSTON ASTROS vs Minnesota Twinkies *****

'Tuve! Great play. It's been great not seeing the yips making any receny appearances during his throws to first, considering his end to last season and start to this one.

tenor.gif
tenor.gif

Like you, I don't think it will happen. But, I'd be interested to see it.
Perfect place for a dude who throws a slider/curve just as much as his fastball. You can do that throwing 100 pitches every 5 days mode a season and expect to stay healthy. He’s made for the pen/ closer role. I remember when he came in to close out the ALCS in 17. He hit the Yankees with breaking ball after breaking ball. Didn’t even throw the heat.

It gruntles me to see Chas McCormick's offense justify the moniker I handed him when I optimistically dubbed him "Cheese," figuring: We expect most of our batters to produce; if he becomes a threat that's just, well, cheesy.

Reactions: magnahorn and 60
Perfect place for a dude who throws a slider/curve just as much as his fastball. You can do that throwing 100 pitches every 5 days mode a season and expect to stay healthy. He’s made for the pen/ closer role. I remember when he came in to close out the ALCS in 17. He hit the Yankees with breaking ball after breaking ball. Didn’t even throw the heat.
27 in a row. Something like that. It was definitely about above 20, if I recall correctly.

Had a crazy idea of LMJ going to the back of the bullpen. He probably wouldn’t go for it, but I have no idea what this team will do with the pen.
I proposed just that a couple of weeks ago. There’s zero in his history to indicate he’s ever going to be a workhorse starting 30+ games a year. So make him the closer. He’s got the stuff and move Pressly to the 8th where he’s probably better suited.

tenor.gif
Would have liked the sweep, but we at least won a series against a sub-.500 team for the first time in a while. @magnahorn continues to get the job done as the OB thread starter. He gets a well-earned day off tomorrow, and then we’re back at it at home Tuesday night to pound some Ranger ass and take a stranglehold on the 2021 Silver Boot race.

FLAWLESS VICTORY!!!

Flawless series.

We went 6-3 vs Toronto, Boston and Minnesota. I've done worse as a thread starter. Overall I'm 11-7 this run, considering a split vs LAD, a 1-2 vs SDP, a 3-1 vs the Sawx and then this 6-3 road run. Remember, however, we were not playing very good baseball at the time and were facing the prospects of playing a lot of very good teams back-to-back-to-back. All in all, I am happy where we are right no.

I fear nobody when it comes to the Astros in any 7 inning affair. It's those pesky 8th and 9th innings where we will absolutely need bullpen help that bother me.

Been thinking about it a lot. Someone needs to explain to me like I am 5 why Crane wouldn't go ahead and go for it this season.

• We've got the best offense in baseball
  • Our rotation is adequate even it not particularly top-heavy
  • We've got the best defense in baseball
  • We've got one glaring weakness, the bullpen
  • Let's be honest, the chances are not good Crane is going to do what is going to be necessary to keep Correa next season.
  • If we don't keep Correa we instantly become a much weaker team both defensively and offensive, plus we lose a team leader.
  • Please don't @me with Bregman can play SS, we've got Freudis Nova/Jeremy Pena/Myles Straw/Pedro Leon, etc. in the wings.
  • I also feel confident we're not going to go out and sign another one of the top shelf FA SS's if we lose out on Correa.
  • After next season we lose Brantley too and all of the sudden our outfield becomes very pedestrian.
  • Although Verlander, Greinke and a few other contracts drop off the payroll after this season, what's the point if there's nobody to spend the money on.
  • The Astros minor leagues are not currently stocked with the sort of talent that would even keep us treading water.
  • Sure, we would have to pay penalty money for going over the threshold, but another World Series would drastically increase the franchise's value and keep the Astros positioned for more success. (I'm assuming we would keep Correa under this scenario).
  • As a business man shouldn't this be Jim Crane's ultimate objective anyway, increasing the value of the franchise? (I'm arguing in this case spending more money would actually be a net positive for the Astros even with the luxury tax).
What needs to happen is Jim Crane needs to bite the bullet and get Correa re-signed now. He needs to authorize James Click to got get some bullpen help, and especially back end of the bullpen type guy.

There's no reason why we can't make this happen. The Astros are too good right now not to do this.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Sorry for the long "Hey, we won another series" post!

FLAWLESS VICTORY!!!

Flawless series.

We went 6-3 vs Toronto, Boston and Minnesota. I've done worse as a thread starter. Overall I'm 11-7 this run, considering a split vs LAD, a 1-2 vs SDP, a 3-1 vs the Sawx and then this 6-3 road run. Remember, however, we were not playing very good baseball at the time and were facing the prospects of playing a lot of very good teams back-to-back-to-back. All in all, I am happy where we are right no.

I fear nobody when it comes to the Astros in any 7 inning affair. It's those pesky 8th and 9th innings where we will absolutely need bullpen help that bother me.

Been thinking about it a lot. Someone needs to explain to me like I am 5 why Crane wouldn't go ahead and go for it this season.

• We've got the best offense in baseball
  • Our rotation is adequate even it not particularly top-heavy
  • We've got the best defense in baseball
  • We've got one glaring weakness, the bullpen
  • Let's be honest, the chances are not good Crane is going to do what is going to be necessary to keep Correa next season.
  • If we don't keep Correa we instantly become a much weaker team both defensively and offensive, plus we lose a team leader.
  • Please don't @me with Bregman can play SS, we've got Freudis Nova/Jeremy Pena/Myles Straw/Pedro Leon, etc. in the wings.
  • I also feel confident we're not going to go out and sign another one of the top shelf FA SS's if we lose out on Correa.
  • After next season we lose Brantley too and all of the sudden our outfield becomes very pedestrian.
  • Although Verlander, Greinke and a few other contracts drop off the payroll after this season, what's the point if there's nobody to spend the money on.
  • The Astros minor leagues are not currently stocked with the sort of talent that would even keep us treading water.
  • Sure, we would have to pay penalty money for going over the threshold, but another World Series would drastically increase the franchise's value and keep the Astros positioned for more success. (I'm assuming we would keep Correa under this scenario).
  • As a business man shouldn't this be Jim Crane's ultimate objective anyway, increasing the value of the franchise? (I'm arguing in this case spending more money would actually be a net positive for the Astros even with the luxury tax).
What needs to happen is Jim Crane needs to bite the bullet and get Correa re-signed now. He needs to authorize James Click to got get some bullpen help, and especially back end of the bullpen type guy.

There's no reason why we can't make this happen. The Astros are too good right now not to do this.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Sorry for the long "Hey, we won another series" post!
I think he will if he thinks we have a shot as the deadline approaches, even if he has to go over The Tax.

I think he will if he thinks we have a shot as the deadline approaches, even if he has to go over The Tax.

I don't see any way he goes over the Tax considering the missing draft picks in '21. From The Athletic:

Why the threshold matters more to some than others​

The financial penalty for exceeding the luxury-tax threshold – 20 percent for every dollar spent over $210 million for a first-time offender, 30 percent for a second, 50 percent for a third – is not usually reason enough for clubs to treat the limit as a hard cap. But for the Astros, in particular, the potential losses of draft picks and international slot space create a larger deterrent this season.

The sign-stealing scandal cost the Astros their first- and second-round picks in the 2020 and ’21 drafts, so club officials are especially mindful of the consequences of exceeding the threshold for a second straight year. The Astros currently are at $208.8 million in luxury-tax payroll, according to Fangraphs, making deadline additions difficult without accompanying subtractions – and the Houston roster contains little fat.

Going past $210 million might hurt the Astros in two ways – first, in the quality of draft-pick compensation they would receive if they lost free agents who rejected qualifying offers; and second, in the penalties they would incur for signing a free agent with a qualifying offer attached.

The Astros likely will face qualifying-offer decisions with two players – Carlos Correa, who would be almost certain to reject it, and Justin Verlander, who also might reject it, figuring he could beat a one-year deal in the $18 million range even though he will be coming off Tommy John surgery entering his age 39 season.

If the Astros stayed under the threshold, they would receive a pick after Comp Round B, in the 75 to 80 range, for each of those players they lost. But if they went over, that pick would come after the fourth round.

Now, let’s say the Astros replaced Correa by signing Trevor Story in free agency after he rejected a qualifying offer (this idea is more of a hypothetical; the ‘Stros under the current system have yet to sign a free agent who rejected a QO from his previous team). If they stayed under the threshold, they would lose a second-round pick plus $500,000 in international slot space. But if they went over, they would lose their second- and fifth-round picks, plus $1 million in international slot space.

Last edited:
Reactions: 60
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT