How the top offense has changed the SEC this year

outhereincali

May 30, 2015
We're just now at the hallway point but once thing I've already noticed. With all these high powered passing offenses that have dominated the SEC for so long it seems like a time of possession strategy has caused a dramatic shift.

It's not a common offense anymore certainly not among the P4 schools. But in the SEC the teams that don't have elite talent Vanderbilt, Kentucky, and Arkansas are having some real success with it.

We all know how it shortens the game. If executed correctly, minimal mistakes ie.. penalties and turnovers it can level the playing field.

Arkansas did that tonight. And although they lost to Georgia it gave Kentucky a chance and it was successful against Mississippi. And that playing style today led to the upset of the century.
We play all 3 teams this year and I'll bet they'll try to play like that against us.

It seems like simple strategy but it's really not. And with the kind of defense they have I wonder if Oklahoma will try that against us I mean they didn't have their top 5 receivers or last year's starting rb against Auburn. And if they're not playing against Texas I think that's the way they'll try to play.

Will this be a new trend? Thoughts?

Vandy’s TOP was 42 minutes. That’s freaking insane. I was thinking about this strategy too, and it has merit. High powered offenses can’t run up the score if they don’t have the ball. What it comes down to is defensive stops, and some negative yards. If you consistently give up at least 3 yards, and they’re willing to keep going for it on 4th down, the math is pretty simple. If a D can hold them to 3 and out, or at least limit their first downs enough to get the ball back and not let them chew through the entire clock, then it’s really moot.

Bama had many opportunities to stop them, but just couldn’t keep Vandy from grinding it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: freeper and westx
Vandy’s TOS was 42 minutes. That’s freaking insane. I was thinking about this strategy too, and it has merit. High powered offenses can’t run up the score if they don’t have the ball. What it comes down to is defensive stops, and some negative yards. If you consistently give up at least 3 yards, and they’re willing to keep going for it on 4th down, the math is pretty simple. If a D can hold them to 3 and out, or at least limit their first downs enough to get the ball back and not let them chew through the entire clock, then it’s really moot.

Bama had many opportunities to stop them, but just couldn’t keep Vandy from grinding it out.
TOS?

Time on station?

Or did you mis-type?

Reactions: oldhorn2
Vandy’s TOS was 42 minutes. That’s freaking insane. I was thinking about this strategy too, and it has merit. High powered offenses can’t run up the score if they don’t have the ball. What it comes down to is defensive stops, and some negative yards. If you consistently give up at least 3 yards, and they’re willing to keep going for it on 4th down, the math is pretty simple. If a D can hold them to 3 and out, or at least limit their first downs enough to get the ball back and not let them chew through the entire clock, then it’s really moot.

Arkansas also had huge top advantage tonight.

Great topic. It’s absolutely become the trendy strategy. However, I can see Texas and others using it to best the very teams that are popularizing it. At least early on.

If they want to play keep-away, I say we do the same thing from the jump. See who gets antsy first. Because we all know which team can turn it on at will.

When I think about it time of passion was a central part of Bill Snyder's strategy. You don't have to run the ball every play you can take shots down field.