Hudson Card

Rewatched the game and realized there is no thread about how well he played, his pocket awareness, and rifle arm.
Definitely an impressive first start. Needs to be more aware of blitzes, but didn’t make any dumb mistakes. A+

Reactions: freeper
He was really composed and even with pressure seemed to keep his eyes downfield and go through his progressions. Some young qbs tend to get tunnel vision when under pressure but he didn't. I thought he made some really good reads and didn't force the ball into coverage at all. I can definitely see why Sark liked him over Thompson. I see alot of Colt McCoy in Card. I didn't like the idea of putting Thompson in at all though. Card needs all the snaps he can get.
From what I saw from him on Saturday I feel like this team could win 10 games this year.

He was really composed and even with pressure seemed to keep his eyes downfield and go through his progressions. Some young qbs tend to get tunnel vision when under pressure but he didn't. I thought he made some really good reads and didn't force the ball into coverage at all. I can definitely see why Sark liked him over Thompson. I see alot of Colt McCoy in Card. I didn't like the idea of putting Thompson in at all though. Card needs all the snaps he can get.
From what I saw from him on Saturday I feel like this team could win 10 games this year.
Card looked great. I remember 4-5 games Sam gave away with picks trying to play hermie hero ball because herman did not understand how to call plays.

We can win the big 12. I still think the b12 refs trip us up on the road.

Card looked great IMO. Very calm and showed his escape ability. His arm looked great. Didn't know he had that much fire on his passes. True gunslinger and if he stays away from INTs kid will be special

I'm going to watch the game again this evening to really look--- but did anybody see Card ever look off any DBs?

I'm going to watch the game again this evening to really look--- but did anybody see Card ever look off any DBs?
No, that’s the one flaw that I saw. Other than that, he showed great pocket presence, quick release, strong arm, didn’t get rattled, and the main thing was no turnovers. He’s definitely got the tools you look for in a QB.

Card looked great. I remember 4-5 games Sam gave away with picks trying to play hermie hero ball because herman did not understand how to call plays.

We can win the big 12. I still think the b12 refs trip us up on the road.
Oh yeah. We are going to get ****ed big time at least once this year. Look out for that Iowa state game. On the road could very well be winner goes to the title game. The fix will be in.

Oh yeah. We are going to get ****ed big time at least once this year. Look out for that Iowa state game. On the road could very well be winner goes to the title game. The fix will be in.
Did you by chance see Grant Teaff's last game? It was against Texas and was the biggest con job of all time. Probably worse than the OSU game against Charlie Strong so I expect something close to that.

No, that’s the one flaw that I saw. Other than that, he showed great pocket presence, quick release, strong arm, didn’t get rattled, and the main thing was no turnovers. He’s definitely got the tools you look for in a QB.
Man-- that's a skill set that I think is arguably the most important as a QB. Look at a guy like Brady-- doesn't have a cannon for an arm and has never had a great deep ball. But when you can stare directly at Ed Reed and then throw back across your body to hit the trail receiver-- it just gives even the best of DBs, pure fits.

Did you by chance see Grant Teaff's last game? It was against Texas and was the biggest con job of all time. Probably worse than the OSU game against Charlie Strong so I expect something close to that.
Yeah I was like 6 years old in 1992… missed that one haha

Man-- that's a skill set that I think is arguably the most important as a QB. Look at a guy like Brady-- doesn't have a cannon for an arm and has never had a great deep ball. But when you can stare directly at Ed Reed and then throw back across your body to hit the trail receiver-- it just gives even the best of DBs, pure fits.
That’s true. Maybe I’m just trying to be an optimist. We haven’t had much to cheer about around here in the past decade. Curious to hear your thoughts after you watch the game again.

I too was impressed with Card. Especially against a quality opponent. He has a chance to run away with the QB job but I want to see him string together 3-4 games in a row of consistency. I recall getting excited about Shane Buechele after his first start against Norte Dame. After that game he never really took off like we hoped. Still had a decent career but no Colt or VY.

Its going to be interesting to see how opponents prepare for Card now that they have some film on him. Will they be able to expose any weaknesses? We’ll see. With Bijan in the backfield that’s a great neutralizer for Card if we can firmly establish a run game.

I too was impressed with Card. Especially against a quality opponent. He has a chance to run away with the QB job but I want to see him string together 3-4 games in a row of consistency. I recall getting excited about Shane Buechele after his first start against Norte Dame. After that game he never really took off like we hoped. Still had a decent career but no Colt or VY.

Its going to be interesting to see how opponents prepare for Card now that they have some film on him. Will they be able to expose any weaknesses? We’ll see. With Bijan in the backfield that’s a great neutralizer for Card if we can firmly establish a run game.
If we can run the ball with consistency, I mean really consistent-- it's going to make Card's life and play an order of magnitude better. Forcing 7 to stay on the box defensively is paramount to his growth as a QB. If everytime he drops back to throw he's got 7 guys back in coverage, life is going to suck.

If we can run the ball with consistency, I mean really consistent-- it's going to make Card's life and play an order of magnitude better. Forcing 7 to stay on the box defensively is paramount to his growth as a QB. If everytime he drops back to throw he's got 7 guys back in coverage, life is going to suck.
Exactly this. I love how sark is getting bijan the ball as a wr. Finding anyway possible to get him in space. But we HAVE to win in the run game to have Card succeed. As much as reps are good for getting better. Confidence is just as important. The longer Card goes not turning the ball over and making TDs the more on fire he will play. I'm almost tempted to say Rojo should start the game and wear down the defense. Bring in bijan as a slot while rojo pounds them. Then bring bijan to rb and let him feast.

Bijan had a avg game too against Louisiana. ( For bijan that is ). Imagine when he goes off. Going to make cards game so much easier..

Bijan had a avg game too against Louisiana. ( For bijan that is ). Imagine when he goes off. Going to make cards game so much easier..
He had 170 yards from scrimmage. You do that for 12 games and you're looking at 2040 yards from scrimmage. That's LaDainian Tomlinson like numbers. I'll take it. It would rank as the 88th best YFS in a single season in NCAA history. Not too shabby.

He had 170 yards from scrimmage. You do that for 12 games and you're looking at 2040 yards from scrimmage. That's LaDainian Tomlinson like numbers. I'll take it. It would rank as the 88th best YFS in a single season in NCAA history. Not too shabby.
Agreed

He’s gonna have some 250-300 yard games against some of these big 12 defenses
He needs to stay healthy though. I feel like almost every game he has a "holy shit is he ok " moment. Louisiana his leg split/ kissing his knee moment was scary. Last year his tech leap land on his head was bad.

He needs to stay healthy though. I feel like almost every game he has a "holy shit is he ok " moment. Louisiana his leg split/ kissing his knee moment was scary. Last year his tech leap land on his head was bad.
Yeah. I wonder if the games against rice, and maybe Tech, KU where we should be up by a lot pretty quick Sark doesn’t sit him early. Knowing that he’s gonna have to ride him against better teams.

Reactions: hookem777
Yeah. I wonder if the games against rice, and maybe Tech, KU where we should be up by a lot pretty quick Sark doesn’t sit him early. Knowing that he’s gonna have to ride him against better teams.
Can't play scared...just hope he does yoga lol

Can't play scared...just hope he does yoga lol
Not really playing scared. It’s about managing risk. If there are games where your up big and you don’t need to expose Bijan to hits don’t do it. One advantage Sark has is he has 2 other RBS that are more than capable of carrying the freight

This might be nit picking, but the little things matter. I saw a glaring miss by Hudson that still resulted in a TD, but he’s gotta learn better, and I’m sure he will. On the TD to Brewer, the reason there were two guys right there on him is because they flat let Whittington go. He was all by himself in the back of the end zone.

Card has to know as soon as he sees those two on Brewer that Jordan has been let loose. Sark is big on taking the easy play, so I’m quite sure he pointed that out to him.

He’s young so of course he’s gonna miss things. This is just one of the things he’ll learn.

good catch Metcalf....now I need you to help my old dumb ass out...Card seemed to over throw several deep balls by several yards(not close anyway)....He was so accurate on everything else, I almost wondered if it was by design.
Maybe he was just sending a "message" with the deep stuff to keep the defense honest.

Had he not been so damned accurate with everything else I would not even give this a thought.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
good catch Metcalf....now I need you to help my old dumb ass out...Card seemed to over throw several deep balls by several yards(not close anyway)....He was so accurate on everything else, I almost wondered if it was by design.
Maybe he was just sending a "message" with the deep stuff to keep the defense honest.

Had he not been so damned accurate with everything else I would not even give this a thought.
None of the receivers really got much sepertion from the DB on the ones I'm thinking about. I would bet the coaches told him to make sure not to under throw those and risk an interception. I think you are correct that the play call was to make the defense respect the deep routes. He definitely missed his target but its better than leaving it short.

Reactions: weevilcatch

DH pretty much covered it above. I would only add that he may have been a little too pumped up which can cause overthrows on deep balls.

Of course, he might just not have the deep ball touch that Casey has. Could be a reason the competition was so close. We’ll find out more as the season goes on.

Reactions: weevilcatch
This might be nit picking, but the little things matter. I saw a glaring miss by Hudson that still resulted in a TD, but he’s gotta learn better, and I’m sure he will. On the TD to Brewer, the reason there were two guys right there on him is because they flat let Whittington go. He was all by himself in the back of the end zone.

Card has to know as soon as he sees those two on Brewer that Jordan has been let loose. Sark is big on taking the easy play, so I’m quite sure he pointed that out to him.

He’s young so of course he’s gonna miss things. This is just one of the things he’ll learn.
Good observation #2. And, because he missed the open playmaker, he had to be a playmaker himself by throwing the high-risk dart to Brewer. If he had made the right read, we wouldn't be talking about the dart.

Think back to AL's O. The playmakers were Jeudy, Devonta Smith, Ridley, etc. They got the hype because they got separation (speed, route running) and the QBs got the ball to them to make the play. The QB in that O isn't necessarily the playmaker.

I doubt Sark wants Hudson to be a playmaker. Just get the ball to the playmakers.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
Good observation #2. And, because he missed the open playmaker, he had to be a playmaker himself by throwing the high-risk dart to Brewer. If he had made the right read, we wouldn't be talking about the dart.

Think back to AL's O. The playmakers were Jeudy, Devonta Smith, Ridley, etc. They got the hype because they got separation (speed, route running) and the QBs got the ball to them to make the play. The QB in that O isn't necessarily the playmaker.

I doubt Sark wants Hudson to be a playmaker. Just get the ball to the playmakers.
That is true to an extent. I watched a lot of Bama football last year and Sark constantly schemed guys open with his formations and pre snap motion. It also helps when you have 4 first round WRs as well.

Reactions: JDCPAgolferHorn
It has been pointed out Texas only ran RPO a couple of times in the game when it has been a Sark staple at previous stops.

I thought I did, but crap man I only rewatched the defense. I thought even Huard mentioned it a few times about his progressions, but hell, did Huard even have our game? LOL

The backs and TEs will get the ball in space. So even if the run game is struggling, I feel like the guys we need to break down a 4/5 box and disallow 2 or 3 high safeties is by getting both Robinsons and the TEs the ball in space. Just as good as a run game.

This probably didn't make any damn sense....I'm freaking exhausted. lol

We don't have any deep ball threat imo, so it's hard to say. Plus our recievers, the supposed fast ones, struggled to create separation. Hopefully that gets better and the deep will look better

Latest posts