ADVERTISEMENT

If I was the Pres of UT

jsto60

Sep 3, 2005
I'd have a press conf and this is how I would word it.

Let Charlie know we thank him for his services. I'd talk about how I believe in him as a foster of young men. That I respect the job he does in building young men to be good stewards in society. Does a great job with our student athletes in the classroom. But that is only one large part of being a head football coach. The other is on the field. And we have a thing called wins and losses that measure a coaches job on the field. And he just isn't cutting it in that arena. And I have little confidence that one more year would change that at all. I'm not saying he can't ever figure it out. Wish him luck in his future. I'm just saying its clear its not working right here, right now.

I'd then talk about how our talented players, their families, our students, alma matter, and fans across the nation deserve better than sub .500 or even near .500. Texas stands for excellence and that is what we will seek. Talk about we are going to leave no stone unturned to get it right this time in our search for the right staff to take Texas back to where it belongs. And I'd end it by saying if I get the search for the AD and coach wrong, that you can put my butt on the chopping block next. Stand up. Take some accountability. Make some positive change. And get everyone fired up for it.

To be honest, I said after the KSU game that I would have left him and the defensive staff in Kansas or put them on a separate flight home from the team. And why not let Sterlin take the reigns back then.

This time I'd consider sending Strong on a slow moving bus back to Arkansas, Mississippi, or Kentucky (wherever he calls home or wants to next). And I'd have a fedex truck full of his office and home already on the road in the morning.

Only reason you can't do that is because racist people will then start saying it was a black thing and they will probably block the streets in protest and the fedex truck won't make it in time and I wouldn't want Charlie to be sitting at home with no furniture. Even though I am still paying his salary.

For real, no harm in letting him play out the last game. But why not start the Herman/Fedora courting begin sooner than later? And give the recruits time.

My wish would be Herman and blending Gilbert/Maddox in with Applewhite. No issues with Fedora. Hell its a lot like the Mack story. He comes with TX ties, from UNC and has a star RB he is courting to come back for his SR year. But I'd prefer Herman as he runs an offense more similar to what we already have in place (and what most kids in the state already run in HS). And I just think he is a better coach than Fedora. Thought that way back when he was rumored to be interested in leaving OSU to be our OC and Charlie wouldn't talk to him. What he has done at UH only solidifies that. But really, a drunken resurrected version of Fran would do at this point. At least that guy would beat Kansas.

Reactions: freeper
Strong will land on his feet, and probably do very well at his next stop. He made mistakes but the enviorment contributed as well. Let's hope same mistakes aren't made with the next coach.

Give me a blank check and I can get Tomlin or Harbaugh.

Seriously.

You'll look at me after and be like "Duuuuuuude..... did you have to agree to rename Marble Falls, Harbaugh Falls?"

And I'd be like "Fvck ya.... Horseshoe Bay and Roger Staubach are about to get a new neighbor. And so what if he flies in everyday to work on Michael Dell's helicopter....".

I'd have a press conf and this is how I would word it.

Let Charlie know we thank him for his services. I'd talk about how I believe in him as a foster of young men. That I respect the job he does in building young men to be good stewards in society. Does a great job with our student athletes in the classroom. But that is only one large part of being a head football coach. The other is on the field. And we have a thing called wins and losses that measure a coaches job on the field. And he just isn't cutting it in that arena. And I have little confidence that one more year would change that at all. I'm not saying he can't ever figure it out. Wish him luck in his future. I'm just saying its clear its not working right here, right now.

I'd then talk about how our talented players, their families, our students, alma matter, and fans across the nation deserve better than sub .500 or even near .500. Texas stands for excellence and that is what we will seek. Talk about we are going to leave no stone unturned to get it right this time in our search for the right staff to take Texas back to where it belongs. And I'd end it by saying if I get the search for the AD and coach wrong, that you can put my butt on the chopping block next. Stand up. Take some accountability. Make some positive change. And get everyone fired up for it.

Glad you are not the president of the university.

Agreed.

It sucks to see a good man fail, but he has, in epic fashion.

I sincerely wish him the best.
I think some people do not understand what you just said clob. I feel the exact same way. I WANTED Strong to be the guy. I just saw too many things that made me go "whhaaaatt" and when I brought them up I was a Strong basher. I always liked the guy. I would love to get paid 25 mil plus to fail.

I hope in his next job he is successful except against Texas of course.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT