ADVERTISEMENT

Immediate Reactions to Sark's Iowa State Presser (via MyPerfectFranchise.Net)

Alex Dunlap

Any Updates on Desmond Harrison?
Staff
Jan 18, 2005
Travis Settlement, TX
SPONSORED BY MYPERFECTFRANCHISE.NET

Are you…
  • Ready to leave the corporate Rat Race for the American Dream?
  • Looking for a side hustle while working your current job?
  • Wanting to diversify, build wealth, and/or leave a legacy?
Andy can help!!!
Andy is a franchise consultant (as well as franchise owner) and helps people find franchises that fit their skill sets, financial requirements, time to commit and more….
His services are 100% free and he’s here to help if you have any questions about business ownership.
image_from_ios.jpg

Learn more about Andy and franchise ownership through these resources:
Andy's Story
Why a Franchise
Service Based vs Brick and Mortar
Semi Absentee Ownership
The Process and How It works

Andy Luedecke
www.MyPerfectFranchise.Net
p: 404-973-9901
e: andy@myperfectfranchise.net
Book time with me at: Andy's Calendar

Here are a few immediate thoughts and reactions to Steve Sarkisian's Iowa State-week press conference:

- Sark said that he was really impressed with the way the team played for about three quarters. Some highlight plays, most notably the effort the guys played with on the Texas interception where Jordan Whittington knocked the ball out and Worthy came all the way back to dive on the ball. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: Interesting highlight to name as the top one, but fair enough.

- 4th quarter, "we didn't play good football" - TCU threw an 8 yard curl route that went for 40 yards, etc. On offense, the 3rd down conversion rate was unacceptable and Texas didn't punt as well as they'd punted all year. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: Sark says these things were all out of character and I think that's also a fair enough thing to say, and it's nice to hear him talking about how unacceptable it is.

- On the OL: two weeks in a row no sacks, really clean game, ran the ball effectively, but we all need to be better in our short yardage situations. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: It doesn't help to bring in Savion Red on plays where you know that the defense absolutely knows he's going to sit back there, wait for a hole and run it himself. They need to add wrinkles off that package.

- On Brooks, he will be missed. Huge loss, but it creates opportunites for Baxter, Blue, Robinson and Red. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: I think it opens up the most new opportunity for Blue. He needs to step up, and I've been encouraged by how he's looked in small doses.

- Anwar asked about when the last time Texas played a four-quarter game: "I don't know, I'm more focused on how we're going to improve." ALEX'S THOUGHTS: He didn't like that question.

- Danny Davis asked about the depth RBs: "I think we have a little sample size on those guys in-game, but a much larger practice sample. I'd feel really uncomfortable if this happened a month ago with CJ's foot (not healed). We've been injected Blue into the offense more -- long TD run versus BYU, etc. With Red, he's in the wildcat stuff .. we've asked a lot of him. The experience of Keilan, etc. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: Off the cuff, I would think we'll see Baxter bump up to a 55-60% snap count, Blue with a 30-35% snap count, and Robinson/Red to combine to mop up around 10%. It's telling that Blue is the second RB he's mentioned in two separate questions.

- Thomas Jones asked about Adonai Mitchell: He came in ahead of the learning curve, very good system at UGA. Played in big games. It was more about nuances, depth of routes, etc. he had to learn. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: When the announcers circled Worthy as the player to watch on the big play that iced the game on 3rd and 12, I asked my wife why the hell they are highlighting Worthy pre-snap when Mitchell is one-on-one at the top of the screen. What a sick adjustment and catch he made on that play.

- Kirk Bohls asked about trouble last time he played ISU and their defense: There's been a trend when Iowa State was the pioneers of the 3-3 stack defense, it was an anomaly of 'what is this?' teams in the Big 12 have moved to that. This is our third-straight week playing that defense. In the end they all have their own style. ISU plays it in its purest form. They do a nice job of disguising coverages and pressures but they know it so well. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: Maybe if Sark wins yet another game versus the 3-3-5, the third in a row, if the whole deal about it being "Sark's kryponite" can finally die. So cockamamie.

- Joe Cook asks about what to expect from RBs Baxter, Keilan: about CJ: really mature young man. Sees the world in not like me-me-me, it's about opportunity and style of offense and scheme. His work ethic has been tremendous. Top 2-3% on our team in work ethic. Pass pro always the biggest thing at the transition for HS to college, what excited me most was Baxter picking up safety blitz off the week side. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: He talked about Keilan Robinson as a change of pace, and thank goodness because he's not a volume back. We saw that in the bowl game.

- Ced Golden asked if Sark is comfortable going "Air Coryell"?? -- We go into every game doing what we think we need to do win the game and then make adjustments. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: I don't really even know what that question is supposed to mean.

- On closing games: Competitive practices, 1s vs 1s in critical moments, a good understanding of the plan, etc. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: Look, I know that some of these games haven't been pretty, but technically Texas HAS been closing games. It has looked worrisome at times, but in the end, they've gotten Ws. Of course it needs to be improved. But man, I think fans will take Texas hanging on after letting teams back into it than what we've seen in previous seasons or versus Oklahoma this year.

- Ed Clements asked about Jimbo Fisher and coaches getting fired: First of all, I think what gets lost in a lot of this is it's not just the HC. Talks about the whole staff having families and kids. It's a great profession but in actuality, a lot of people are out of jobs when a HC get fired. Said it takes it a toll and he's empathetic for those guys. This has changed because of the early signing period, the majority of kids are signing in December and universities are trying to get ahead of it (in order to be able to salvage recruiting). ALEX'S THOUGHTS: Spot the lie. However, coaches know that this is the life they signed up for and they are getting paid excellently as compensation for this inherent occupational hazard.

- Leah Vann asked about Bert Auburn's consistency lately and if it affects 4th down decisions: It gives you a sense of comfort that he's hit 11 FGs in a row. Inside 50 we feel very comfortable with Bert, it's been two straight years where he's made big kicks for us that have given us opportunities.

- Roger Wallace asked about playing "championship games" every week: "What an awesome time, this is the fun part." ALEX'S THOUGHTS: I'm glad he likes it, because it's going to be every bit of this and more starting in 2024 as Texas enters the SEC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News