ADVERTISEMENT

Immediate Reactions to Sark's Oklahoma State Presser

Alex Dunlap

Any Updates on Desmond Harrison?
Staff
Jan 18, 2005
Travis Settlement, TX
Are you a displaced corporate executive or wanting to put your career in your own hands? Or are you an experienced entrepreneur wanting to diversify? Well, Andy Luedecke can help! Andy is a long time Orangebloods member, diehard Longhorn and franchise veteran, having owned multiple franchises and businesses. Using his expertise, he helps others find their American Dream through a very thorough and FREE consultation process. Call Andy, put your life and career in your own hands. 100% free, so what do you have to lose?!!
Find Your Perfect Franchise at MyPerfectFranchise.Net
Orangebloods Owned! Contact Andy Luedecke (aka @Andy MyPerfectFranchise.Net) anytime at:
aluedecke@myperfectfranchise.net
(404) 973-9901
www.myperfectfranchise.net
image_from_ios.jpg

Here are a few immediate thoughts and reactions to Coach Steve Sarkisian's Oklahoma State press conference, coming off a bitter and gut-wrenching loss to Oklahoma at the Cotton Bowl:

- The Updated ESPN FPI odds from Alex Loeb: Texas, despite the loss, is still in second place odds-wise to make the Big 12 Championship at 43% behind OU at 88% and ahead of ISU (33%), Baylor (18%) and a currently undefeated OSU (13%).

- ESPN FPI gives Texas a 78% chance to beat OSU, a 63% chance to beat Baylor, a 39% chance to beat ISU and a 99% chance to beat Kansas. MY THOUGHTS: It scrambles my brain to think of how FPI could have Texas as only a 39% shot to beat ISU but still projects Texas as having a better chance than ISU of making the Big 12 title game.

- Holy cow, Gundy is 5-1 in his last six games at DKR? MY THOUGHTS: Time to get that stink off the program the same way Texas under Sarkisian seemed to break Gary Patterson's recent spell. That is an unreal and wholly embarrassing statistic.

- Sark said the deciding factor in the game was an inability to stay focused on the task at hand in the second half. MY THOUGHTS: It also had to do with the fact that the defense didn't look like it was prepared to face a guy like Caleb Williams as opposed to a guy like Spencer Rattler. I can't believe it hasn't been clear to Riley from the jump who his starter this year should be. Should be an interesting trip to the portal for Rattler soon enough.

- Joe Cook asked how you can keep teams from running to win the ball against Texas; "It comes down to our fundamentals and techniques," Sark said. MY THOUGHTS: Yup. Miserable run fits, not only from the defensive line but also from Luke Brockermeyer on the two direct snaps to Brooks.

- Anwar asked about injuries (thank you @Anwar Richardson): Jacoby Jones (foot) and Jordan Whittington (clavicle) are both getting surgery. Sark says he doesn't have a timetable. MY THOUGHTS: If it is a foot for Jones, we can probably rest assured Jones will be out for the remainder of the season. While Jones was not producing at a high level, it's still a big loss. We saw that Jett Bush's snaps ticked way up in his absence versus Oklahoma. It would feel like surgery for a broken collarbone won't be a super-speed recovery timeline, either. I don't have to remind anyone of the loss that Jordan Whittington represents. We'll likely see an uptick in 12-personnel on the personnel tracker in the offensive Deep Dig moving forward as the staff won't be as likely to force in a slot WR option to take the second TE off the field in the absence of Whittington.

- Chip asked who needs to step up with Jacoby and Jordan out: "The guy who's reallt made the best progress for us defensively is Alfred Collins," Sark said. MY THOUGHTS: Yep. I'll have more in the Deep Dig but we saw more of Collins off the edge in this game (not mostly at tackle as he's been through the year and at the JACK end only sporadically) and I'd prefer to see more of him over there certainly as opposed to Bush and also as opposed to Sorrell who's strength at the point of attack was in some ways exposed versus OU despite showing great flashes to start the season.

- Bob Ballou basically asked how he'll get the team back in the right headspace: Sark said, "I like these types of challenges." MY THOUGHTS: I agree we should all be up for a good challenge to test ourselves every now and then but, man, personally, give me challenges that don't involve losing to Oklahoma like that.

- Ced Golden asked about the spirit in practice this week so far: "There's not a lot of time in our sport for the woe-is-me's. Nobody is feeling sorry for us so we don't have a lot of time to feel sorry for ourselves. MY THOUGHTS: Fair enough. I don't want to think about that game anymore either. Unfortunately, I still have about 20 hours of watching and charting it ahead of me.

- Jeff Howe asked about the ball getting over the secondary's head. "The ball didn't really get over our head ... the plays occurred off-schedule ... you get out of phase when a QB scrambles and it takes that long (for the ball to come out). MY THOUGHTS: Exactly, it's also why a more effective pass-rush is a necessity.

- Brian Davis asked what he can attribute the team not executing late versus early: "Momentum in sport is a fascinating thing." He said you could write books and teach classes about trying to understand it. MY THOUGHTS: He's right and there are all kinds of opinions about momentum in football. Do a quick google search. You'll find some who actually go to great lengths to quantify it and seek to prove that it doesn't even exist and is a construct to try to explain randomness. To me, though, that is like the people who say that free will doesn't exist and is an illusion, giving highly scientific sounding reasons. I always think, how does free will not exist if I'm choosing to sit here and listen to this gobbledygook?

- Danny Davis asked about kick returns and Xavier Worthy: "A good learning lesson for him, he had the ball in the wrong arm." MY THOUGHTS: Also, don't take the ball out in that spot, obviously.

- Ed Clements asked if Sark had faced Gundy and if he was mad that Jimbo was the first former assistant to beat Saban, taking away his opportunity one day: Sark said he'd never faced Gundy. "They've kind of reinvented themselves in Stillwater. A tough defensive team, they run the football..." MY THOUGHTS: Run fits, run fits, run fits in practice this week please, Coach Kwiatkowski.

- Kirk Bohls asked is Sark still thought the DL was a strength of the team and how far away he thought the Horns were from being "a really good team." (Great questions, IMO): "I think the DL has progressively played better through the year. We'd like to be an incredible pass-rushing team, but that's not how we're built. We have to be stout and have good rush lanes not let QBs escape through the pocket." MY THOUGHTS: Well at least he's seeing what we're seeing and not peeing on our legs and telling us it's raining like Tom Herman, have to hand Sark that much.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News