Immediate Reactions to Sark's UTSA Presser

Alex Dunlap

Any Updates on Desmond Harrison?
Staff
Jan 18, 2005
Travis Settlement, TX
SPONSORED BY MYPERFECTFRANCHISE.NET
Are you…
  • Ready to leave the corporate Rat Race for the American Dream?
  • Looking for a side hustle while working your current job?
  • Wanting to diversify, build wealth, and/or leave a legacy?
Andy can help!!!
Andy is a franchise consultant (as well as franchise owner) and helps people find franchises that fit their skill sets, financial requirements, time to commit and more….
His services are 100% free and he’s here to help if you have any questions about business ownership.
image_from_ios.jpg

Learn more about Andy and franchise ownership through these resources:
Andy's Story
Why a Franchise
Service Based vs Brick and Mortar
Semi Absentee Ownership
The Process and How It works

Andy Luedecke
www.MyPerfectFranchise.Net
p: 404-973-9901
e: andy@myperfectfranchise.net
Book time with me at: Andy's Calendar

Here are a few immediate thoughts about and reactions to Sark's UTSA-week presser, coming off a dominating win in Ann Arbor to keep the Longhorns undefeated with two games left until its official entrance into SEC conference play:

Sark starts out by thanking Michigan for their hospitality. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: I'm guessing they're a nicer bunch than Ohio State up there in the Big 10.

Sark said this Texas team is not a finished product by any means, but he's proud of the physical nature of the team and the way they bounced back from initial toe-stubbing. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: I think he just may be referencing Cam Williams but what do I know.

Sark says the toughest opponents to play are the ones that are wounded and backed into the corner. He says UTSA is a little wounded so he knows they're gonna get their best shot. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: I don't know if Sark is saying that they are banged up injury wise, or if they're just feeling wounded having gotten trounced 49-10 in the IH-35 rivalry against Texas State last week.

Ed Clements asked how to keep the team motivated against a perceived lesser opponent. Sark said that only they dictate how they prepare. He said he went through the Notre Dame scenario versus NIU as a reminder that the team is entitled to nothing. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: I can't imagine being a Notre Dame fan, player, coach, or ***shudders*** message board moderator this week.

Chip Brown asked about the pass rush: "The rush has been good," he said the first game was a little more difficult because CSU stayed committed to the run, as did Michigan to a small degree until very late. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: Colin Simmons went bananas. I'll have the Deep Dig later but he had a sack and 5 pressures, just wild. Sark is underselling it a little.

Ced Golden asked what will define the season: "The totality of the body of work" will define it. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: What answer did Golden think he was going to get to that question?

Bob Ballou asked about Quinn not losing on the road since his freshman year at Oklahoma State: "Sometimes we don't see the anger and frustration in Quinn that I'm privy to. The competitor in him was pissed after that game." ALEX'S THOUGHTS: I can't believe I didn't know that little tidbit about Quinn Ewers on the road. Very impressive ... but does OU last year not technically count as a road game? I guess it is technically a neutral-site game.

Danny Davis asked about anything he has not liked so far about the team's performance. "On the perimeter our blocking can definitely improve." ALEX'S THOUGHTS: Sark knows that to make the big home run plays, you need the receiver's stalk-blocking like Jordan Whittington used to. He also said the team needs to get to another level with its killer instinct to end games.

On Trey Moore adapting to Power-4 level of football: At this level, it's every week, because if it's not a P4-team you're going to get their best shot. The challenge for any player as they make the adjustment is the mental energy required weekly." He said Trey is playing really good football. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: He was MUCH more effective versus UM than he was versus CSU.

Terry Middleton asked about Sark's formula for success: "It's not rocket science, we believe in what we believe in: an attacking style of football ... a physical game ... we believe in speed and we believe in being a smart football team." ALEX'S THOUGHTS: Sark loves the softballs from Terry every week.

Kirk Bohls asked about how to identify physicality in recruits: "when you watch tape of guys there are certain guys who seek contact and certain guys do shy away from contact." ALEX'S THOUGHTS: See Xavier Filsaime's tape to see the type of guy who seeks contact. He mentioned he loved one rep by Tre Wisner that exemplified that physicality.

Roger Wallace asked about the WRs mentality: "I think that's why we have the addage 'we not me,' ... receivers are like shooters in basketball that want to find their rhythm." ALEX'S THOUGHTS: The question was really about how to keep so many talented WRs happy and it's going to be hard. Last week he said the saying was "dont''

Anwar asked about big-bodied WRs not being as en vogue anymore: Sark said that he got into the idea that as the game started to spread itself out and was less 1v1 pro-style perimeter stuff, he wanted guys who can catch the ball on the move. The faster you are on the move, the tougher you are to guard and then get on the ground afterward. He said he could feel the difference that John Ross brought to his team at Washington. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: Good question from Anwar and answer from Sark.

On the red zone efficiency: "We've minimized the self-inflicted wounds." He said last year it was penalties and execution that hurt them. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: Whatever it is, just keep it up. I personally think it has a lot to do with the attitude of the offense. They just feel like an offense who believes it will score down there.

About watching film: He watches the tape by himself first. Evaluates play calls and time management, his messaging to the team, he looks at himself first before he starts to critique everyone else. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: It was funny, he said that sometimes in games where the team blows out the opponent, those are often the games he is more critical of himself whereas sometimes in really close games he looks at them and has more confidence in what he decided.

On what he thought of UM film: frustrated generally in the second half, missed the shot to Silas, weren't hitting on the cylinders I would have liked, but we were in the right mental space, and had a good plan. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: Look, Sark might have been a little frustrated, but, for once, I don't think the fan base was as frustrated as the coach was in this instance.

On Trey Moore going against UTSA: "That's the world we live in in college football right now. It is what it is. We're not unique to that, other teams have that stuff going on all over the place. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: Sark mentioned that Texas will be going against Brenen Thompson here in a few weeks. DON'T BE LOOKING AHEAD SARK! (just kidding).

What makes Jake Majors special? He's 38 years old (joking). "He's been playing for Flood for 4 years" ... third straight year with Quinn, etc. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: What makes him special is that he's become an above average player starting in 2023 that has the added bonus of being a guy who was able to play as a previous sub-athlete due almost solely to his understanding of the scheme and ability to communicate it to the others.

Brian Davis asked about players on other teams doing stupid things on the field and the importance of football IQ: "That's what I show on Friday mornings, I show those blunders that go on around the country. I'm not saying we're perfect but if I can keep showing living examples of those things, it shows guys what is and is not acceptable in our program." ALEX'S THOUGHTS: Friday mornings with Sark sound lit.

On Jaydon Blue: "Wisner really stepped up when Jaydon was trying to get back on the field, Jerick Gibson has done some nice things. We have some people and bodies but need to be mindful (of the number of touches)." ALEX'S THOUGHTS: If it were up to me, Blue wouldn't play in this UTSA game, but of course it is not.

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.