ADVERTISEMENT

Inside the War Room (August 19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suchomel

Staff
Aug 10, 2001
What a wild week of recruiting it was for the Longhorns. After missing out on Austin Seferian-Jenkins on Monday, the Horns received their biggest recruiting news of the year on Wednesday night with Malcolm Brown giving Texas its 23rd pledge.

Longhorn fans are still celebrating the big news (as well you should … go ahead and take this party through the weekend), but for some, the immediate reaction was to wonder if there would be a trickle-down effect from Brown’s announcement. What does it mean for Charles Jackson?

We talked to some people this week, including Green (his thoughts will be posted shortly), and here’s what you could call an educated guess.

We’ll start with Green …

After earlier in the summer mentioning that the contact with Texas had come to a complete halt, Green has mentioned recently that the Longhorns have again initiated some dialogue and it’s his impression that he’s squarely back on UT’s recruiting radar.

Texas and Green have in fact had some contact with one another in the second half of the summer, but it’s not quite a case of UT putting on a full-court press. Green mentioned that he hasn’t talked to Texas in about a month and a half (he said he’s had very little contact with any college coaches in that span), and the word we continue to hear is that Texas is in a bit of a holding pattern to see how things develop with Green moving into the fall.

With commitments from Brown and Joe Bergeron, Texas has filled its desired slots at the running back spot, but the coaches are still going to maintain an interest in a player of Green’s caliber as long as Green shows them that he has a very genuine interest. He’s too good a player to turn down if he legitimately wants to jump on board. In a nutshell, the ball is in Green’s court.

In order for this one to work, the cat-quick tailback is going to have to be fairly proactive in recruiting Texas as much as Texas is recruiting him. Green will need to make his way to Austin for a game or two, an official visit certainly wouldn’t hurt, and the coaches will need to know that Green has a true interest in becoming part of a recruiting class that’s nearly full and has hit or exceeded its target number at just about every position.

Another factor in the equation is that Texas already has one eye on the class of 2012, headlined by Aledo standout Johnathan Gray. Adding another running back to the stable could make next year’s recruiting efforts more difficult, although people we’ve spoken with don’t believe Gray will shy away from any competition. He’s confident in his abilities, as he should be, and his role in a Texas backfield would be much different than Green, if Green were to eventually join the UT fold.

In talking to Green, Texas is very much on the San Antonio Madison standout’s wish list (more on that in a few), and though the race is still very close, there’s still some thought by people close to his recruitment that Nebraska will eventually be tough to beat. As everyone knows, he has a brother that plays for the Huskers, his dad and uncle played at Baylor and hasn’t exactly pushed Green in UT’s direction, and there’s some thought that the family influence will benefit Nebraska more and more as things wear on.

So, in summary, this one’s not dead yet, but there are some moving parts that will have to align for this one to work out, and there likely will not be a definitive answer on how Texas will progress until September. If Green makes a strong effort to keep in contact with the UT staff and makes his way to Austin for a visit or two, things could get interesting. If not, Texas will likely cool on this one again and be thrilled with the running back class it already has committed.

My take: If I’m a betting man, I think the interest remains lukewarm, and it won’t surprise me to see Texas take a bit of a wait-and-see approach. As I said above, the ball is pretty much in Green’s court on this one and he’s going to need to be proactive for this one to even have a chance. (Suchomel)

Now, for some thoughts from Green that will give a bit of an idea of how he’s feeling as of Thursday night …

Everyone knows by now that Green and Malcolm Brown are friends, but Green said tonight that Brown’s decision to commit to Texas “makes no difference” in his situation, and Green is continuing to search for the option that is best for his future.

As for his most recent contact with Texas … “I talked to them in the middle of the summer. They were saying how they still want me, stuff like that. I haven’t talked to them since, but I haven't talked to anyone for a while.”

Green said his top four remains Texas, Nebraska, Florida State and Cal, but he also listed Baylor and Texas A&M as teams he’s still considering. Green said his hope is to take some official visits during the season, and he said he’s “pretty sure (Texas) will get an official.” In addition to any official visits that he takes, he mentioned that he’d also like to take in as many Texas, Texas A&M and Baylor games as possible via unofficial visits. (Suchomel)

As for guys like Charles Jackson and/or David Jenkins, it’s too early to tell if one of those two players could creep back into the picture. If Texas were to get involved with either, it likely not happen until later in the fall, after the staff has a chance to see each player in action as a senior and after Texas has a bit better handle on what its secondary needs will be like in 2011 (seeing how some of the freshmen come along, getting a better gauge of Aaron Williams possible NFL decision).

We’ll keep our eyes and ears open to see if anything changes with either of these prospects, and we’ll try to get in touch with both in the near future to measure their interest should UT eventually again come calling. (Suchomel)

We mentioned over the weekend that we had a brief conversation with Shreveport Evangel defensive end Jermauria Rasco to talk about his recent visit to Texas, but here’s a refresher and a couple quick quotes for those that missed the board update …

As he always is, Rasco was pretty low key about the visit from two weekends ago, stating that everything was pretty much the same aside from spending a lot more time seeing the academic side of what Texas has to offer.

The blue-chip end was hoping to have his list trimmed down to a top five by the time his senior season began, but he said he has not had a chance to go through all his options, so he’s keeping everything on the table.

As for Texas … “They’re up there pretty good but I don't really have a full list. Everybody's about the same right now,” Rasco said.

The 6-3, 227-pound Rasco said Texas told him they’ll continue to wait on him until he’s ready to make a decision.

As has been discussed in previous War Rooms, Rasco is very close with his mother, Gwen, and she’ll likely play a big part in his final decision. Ms. Rasco has mentioned that there’s a very good chance she’ll move closer to her family in Houston after Jermauria graduates, but Jermauria said this week that his mom is open to him taking his talents anywhere.

“She just wants me to go to the college that's best for me,” Rasco said.

My take: It’s hard to ignore the fact that Rasco has made repeated trips to the Forty Acres, and any time a prospect spends an unofficial visit getting better acquainted with the academic side of a program, it’s usually a pretty good sign that his interest is legit. Throw in the possibility of his mother relocating to Houston and his mother’s strong feelings for the Texas program, and this one continues to look good for the Horns at this stage. But, there’s still a long way to go before this one ends. Stay tuned.

A quick update on UT offensive line commitment here if you missed it) …

I interviewed Westerman a couple hours after Malcolm Brown had made his commitment to Texas, and Westerman was excited about the news. He had a chance to meet Brown at a UT camp this summer (Brown wasn’t participating but was in attendance) and Westerman said he’s thrilled to have the chance to clear the way for such a talented back.

“I'm excited about that one. That's awesome,” Westerman said. “I know he’s a great player. I can’t wait to block for him.”

Westerman keeps in contact with a few Longhorn commitments and he’s a kid that remains rock solid in his decision. Most schools are able to read between the lines and have officially backed off, although he still receives a written letter or two from time to time.

Westerman’s now checking in at 6-5 and 290 pounds. He’s sporting a bench press of 425 pounds, a squat of about 500 and a power clean about 305. (Suchomel)

A brief note on 2012 Cuero running back Trent Jackson

Jackson lists Texas A&M and Stanford as his top two right now, but Texas is definitely in the picture. Jackson camped at UT this summer and he said Longhorn running backs coach Major Applewhite really stood out during that visit. We’ll have a full report on Jackson, with quotes, over the weekend. (Suchomel)

The Denton Ryan Raider defense returns a lot of talent there is no doubt about it, but head coach Joey Florence also welcomed a big time playmaker in 2012 defensive end Mario Edwards, Jr. to the program for the 2010 season.

Edwards made a name for himself at Prosper playing both offense and defense, but at 6-4, 250 will be focused on defensive end at Ryan. He already has the attention of recruiters and when walking onto the practice field it is easy to see why. He is a big, athletic prospect and while he has been at Ryan has already felt the increased intensity.

When it comes to recruiting he received a verbal offer from Texas A&M and once Sept. 1 is receiving a significant about of interest from Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., and Texas Tech who could join his offer list soon. Texas has kept in touch as well and while it is early the Longhorns are in good position among all the schools showing interest.

“The one I like the best because it’s similar to the defense we run here is Texas and I like their defense a lot,” Edwards, who has been in touch with coach Muschamp and coach Brown, said.

He has visited Florida St. and also made it out to TCU for the Nike Camp.

As the season approaches he has already turned the heads of the coaching staff with his performance in the Raiders first scrimmage, and is looking forward to show his strengths on the field.

“When people look at me they look at me and say he’s big, he’s strong,” he said. “But I also confuse them because I’m big and I’m fast. So with smaller people I can overpower them and with bigger people I can out run them or beat them with speed.”

The 2012 talent runs deep at Ryan and linebackers Jordan Richmond are a duo to watch. De La Torre is now up to 225 and looks solid while Richmond is 220 and has a build similar to Tevin Jackson.

The Longhorns have shown interest in both linebackers and both camped at Texas this summer. De La Torre has received a ton of interest after raking in all-district, all-area, and all-state honors. The Longhorns are in good shape with De La Torre as well, but is focused on the 2010.

“It’s really slowed down. I haven’t really talked to anybody since June when I went to Texas and TCU. Since then it’s just been school related stuff,” De La Torre said of the recruiting attention. “I like it. I’m not really a media guy. It’s enjoyable and I’m humble about it.”

Richmond has also received his fair share of interest from college programs, but after injuring his shoulder as a sophomore he is looking forward to competing on the field.

“It made me realize you can’t take this for granted,” Richmond said. “It got taken away from me last year and I’m ready to come back as strong as ever.” (Howell)

While in Denton there were plenty of prospects who caught the eye. Ryan defensive end Dominique Banks is a sleeper to keep an eye on. He has legit speed and at 6-3, 220 is a sleeper you will hear from this year. He is in the rotation with Ty Hook at DE and has athleticism you cannot teach. Then there is 2013 Denton Guyer receiver Ellis (E.J.) Jefferson. He is a specimen. He stands tall at 6-4, 185 and has a big frame. He already looks like a college ready prospect physically. Remember the name. (Howell)

On Wednesday I was in San Antonio taking a look at a few kids. Ryan Simmons also has the makings of a prospect people will be talking about quite a bit during the season. He is a big, sideline-to-sideline playmaker in the middle so he’ll be easy to spot when you’re watching Madison-Steele on ESPN next weekend.

I swung over to San Antonio Sam Houston to get a good look at DT Javonte Magee. They were in full pads but had a pretty light day as they prepared for their scrimmage today. Both prospects looked like they have added some good weight. They will both play offense and defense this year so they will have to be in good shape. (Howell)

Switching gears to hoops recruiting, we’ll start with an update on 2011 Antonian (San Antonio) forward Jonathan Holmes.

Early on, before Texas entered the picture this summer, Holmes was a strong Texas A&M lead and there was talk among people close to the Aggie Hoops program that Holmes was planning to give A&M a commitment during an unofficial visit to College Station earlier this month.

With Texas now in the picture and having extended a scholarship offer, things have changed dramatically. Holmes has visits set to Baylor and Purdue on the first two weekends of September, and he’s scheduled to visit UT on September 24.

Don’t be at all surprised to see Holmes make a commitment to UT before he takes his visit to Austin (but after his other visits). If it doesn’t happen then, barring a complete turnaround from where things stood earlier this week, Texas will be adding to its class during the visit or immediately after.

Credit the entire Longhorn staff for a job well done on this one, including the time spent with Chris Ogden and Rodney Terry at Holmes’ recent unofficial visit to Austin. (Suchomel)

Several of you have asked for an update on top 2012 center Cameron Ridley of Fort Bend Bush.

We weren’t able to connect with Ridley directly, but we did speak with his AAU coach, Keith White (Houston Hoopstars), to get a report.

Coach White said Ridley continues to keep all options on the table at this early stage of the recruiting process, and he has yet to finalize a list of favorites. Texas, Baylor, North Carolina, Duke and Georgetown were among the schools White listed that were showing interest. In fact, White said it’s more a question of who is not recruiting Ridley than who is, with the 6-10, 235-pound big man drawing attention from programs around the country.

Over the course of the summer, Ridley took unofficial visits to Texas and to Baylor.

“He’s been on a couple unofficial visits but that’s about it,” White said. “He’s kind of buckled down right now, ready to hit the books when school starts (on Monday).”

As for Ridley’s strengths as a player …

“I think his presence down in the low post area. He has good hands, he runs the floor really well. And he has a soft touch for a big man,” coach White said. “I think that will make him a good player some day.

“I think one of the good things about him, he can play with his back to the basket. He wants to be down there. He has a really nice left hand and right hand jump hook. One of things that sticks out, he can play with his back to the basket.”

Like most high school big men, White listed rebounding and running the floor as areas for improvement. Ridley, a four-star prospect and Rivals150 member (No. 34 overall), opened a lot of eyes with his play over the summer.

“He actually holds his presence down there pretty well. Even down at the Adidas Nations in Chicago, he played against a 7-5 kid from Europe, a lot of 7 foot African kids. He definitely competed really well for his size,” White said.

We’ll follow up with coach White and Ridley later in the fall for another report. (Suchomel)

This post was edited on 8/19 11:58 PM by Suchomel
This post was edited on 8/20 12:11 AM by Suchomel
This post was edited on 8/20 9:03 AM by Jason Howell

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News