ADVERTISEMENT

Inside the War Room (August 22nd)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
Let's start with some team information as seen through the eyes of scouts who have been able to observe fall camp practices at both Texas and Oklahoma as well as several other schools in the Big Ten, Pac-12 and SEC.

The bottom line is all of the scouts agreed, and it's almost scary to type the following words, that Texas has far more talent than the Sooners this year. All the scouts said they'd be surprised if the Longhorns don't win the game.

"If Texas loses to Oklahoma this year, Mack should retire," one scout said. "Seriously. The talent gap between the two teams is that wide.

"Oklahoma is going to go with the smaller quarterback (Trevor Knight), because Blake Bell can't throw the ball a lick. Bell is worse throwing the ball than Vince Young. They have a couple backs and a couple receivers.

"But OU doesn't have anyone on the defensive line or at linebacker. No one."

I asked about LB Corey Nelson.

"Just a guy," the scout said. "The only guy they have on defense is (cornerback) Aaron Colvin. That OU defense is down. Way down. For a Stoops' team, it's surprising."

Let's break down each position group at Texas as seen by the scouts:

Quarterback - The scouts are mixed on David Ash. Two liked his arm talent, but three scouts were so turned off by Ash's "lack of charisma" that they said they wouldn't think of drafting a player like him.

"If Texas can run the ball, he'll be fine," one scout said. "But if they find themselves behind late against Oklahoma, and he has to lead a drive and make a bunch of plays, I just don't know if his guys will follow him. "

Receiver - All the scouts agree Mike Davis could end up as a starter in the NFL, but the guy who surprised them was Kendall Sanders.

"I was like, who the (expletive) is No. 2?" one scout said. "I'll be back to watch to him. He gets in and out of his breaks well, catches with his hands and has speed."

All the scouts wanted to see more from Jaxon Shipley and to see him stay healthy for a season.

Tight end - None of the scouts even had a note about this position.

Running back - All the scouts agreed there's enough talent between Johnathan Gray, Malcolm Brown, Joe Bergeron and Daje Johnson that Texas should be able to run it better than last year.

Offensive line - There wasn't much good news here. All of the scouts agreed Texas right now doesn't have anything more than "late-round guys" on the O-line.

None were prepared to say anything about Desmond Harrison, because they didn't see him practice.

But one scout was particularly harsh on senior guard Mason Walters, saying, "I'm not even sure he likes football. He's not only stiff, but I don't see the want-to. At all. Really disappointing for a guy with his size."

Another scout said of Trey Hopkins, "Sixth or seventh round. If that."

Another scout, who had been to Texas A&M's fall camp, said, "Texas A&M has three potential first-rounders on their offensive line (senior LT Jake Matthews, junior RT Cedric Ogbuehi and junior LG Jarvis Harrison), and they lost a first-rounder from last year (LT Luke Joeckel).

"The difference in talent on the offensive line at Texas and at A&M is incredible. It's night and day. Mike Sherman left Kevin Sumlin some gifts."

Defensive line - As a collective group, the scouts generally thought Texas would be better than most college teams along the defensive line. But no individual on the D-line had any of the scouts thinking high draft pick.

On DE Jackson Jeffcoat, one scout said, "He's stiff. He's not very explosive. Honestly, he looks like he needs to be living at the squat rack. He'll make an NFL roster, but he lacks a counter move and won't be ranked among the elite pass rushers."

The scouts wanted to see more of DT Malcom Brown and DE Cedric Reed.

On Reed, one scout said, "I like his size. He's got room to grow."

Linebackers - All the scouts liked Jordan Hicks and not much else at this point.

Defensive backs - I hope you're sitting down. Every single scout talked pretty glowingly about what Texas has in the secondary.

One scout raved about Quandre Diggs, calling him the best of the bunch because he can cover and will hit you.

Another said Carrington Byndom had a chance to move up boards with a good year because of his size, long arms and speed.

One scout said he'll be back to watch CB Sheroid Evans because "his press coverage reroutes receivers. He's got long arms, good speed and may get his head around too early sometimes. But I'll take that versus a guy who gets his head around too late."

On Duke Thomas, one scout said, "Great feet. That allows him to get his hips around, and you can tell he likes the game. I usually don't even concern myself with sophomores, but I made a note on him."

Even safeties Mykkele Thompson and Adrian Phillips got praise.

"That No. 2 at safety (Thompson) was reading and closing well. He looks like he might be developing into something," one scout said. "I want to see him finish those plays in a game. But he was in position to make a bunch of plays."

Another scout who had visited schools in the Big Ten, Pac-12, SEC and Big 12 said, "Texas is as good in the secondary as anyone in the country."

(Brown)

I went to the UT Athletics Council meeting Thursday and caught up with Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds.

Dodds said the Frank Erwin Center would need to be demolished in the "next 7 to 8 years" for UT's new "Medical District," which will wipe out Texas' Penick-Allison tennis facility after the 2013-14 school year.

Right after that, one of the council members asked, "How many are left on the basketball team?"

Senior associate athletic director Butch Worley said, "Twelve. I was counting heads this morning."

Dodds later told me, "I love that kid (Ioannis Pappapetrou), and it stinks for us. But he got a four-year contract. And that's good money. He had to do that."

When I asked about the pressure on Mack Brown, Rick Barnes and Augie Garrido to turn their programs around, Dodds said, "We just need to win."

(Brown)

UT officials said the renewal rate for the Longhorn Foundation for the 2013-14 school year, was 91 percent. For the 2012-13 school year, the Longhorn Foundation renewal was 93 percent.

Dodds said the university would need to know what it was doing in terms of construction of a new basketball arena "six years out," adding the school has three to four possible sites for a new arena, including "one that we like more than another. But it's on property currently owned by other people."

Dodds said wherever Texas builds its new basketball arena (most likely east of I-35, near Disch-Falk), "It will be smaller than what we have now, and a better atmosphere for basketball."

After the meeting, when I asked Dodds about the timetable for razing the Erwin Center, he said, "We've been told seven to 15 years, so we are preparing for the earliest possibility."

(Brown)

The school is looking into renovating the south end of DKR, but Dodds said Texas would not be looking to add more seating but rather "better amenities."

"In the future, we see attendance at games going down, not up," Dodds said, referring to improving technologies that may cause people to want to watch games at home. "We plan to hover right around the 100,000 capacity."

Ed Goble, a senior assistant athletic director in charge of business, said Texas is looking into improving the fan experience "from an electronic standpoint."

Added Dodds, "We are looking at the fan experience inside and outside the stadium."

(Brown)

I asked Dodds about the "transformative change" being sought in the NCAA by the BCS conference commissioners and how quickly that could come.

"They need to federate, and they can do it by sport, if needed," Dodds said of the NCAA. "But that process is really difficult. So anyone who says they can do it in a week, a year or two years, doesn't know.

"You get that many people, that diverse, when money's involved and competition is involved, and football and basketball are involved and say, 'We're going to get this fixed,' that's a lot of blood, sweat and tears," Dodds said.

"The bottom line is like institutions need to vote on their rules, but that can't happen under the current structure."

When I asked about Bob Bowlsby's threat of secession from the NCAA "as a last resort" by the BCS conferences, Dodds said, "No. The presidents won't do that. The presidents will want to sit at a table and work it out."

(Brown)

Oklahoma athletic director Joe Castiglione told SiriusXM Radio earlier this month he didn't think realignment was done.

So I asked Dodds what he thought of Castiglione's comment.

"It's different now because so many schools have signed away their (media) rights," Dodds said. "I could see some movement down here (below the BCS conference level), but not up here (at the conference level)."
(Brown)

Dodds declined to comment on his contract, which expires on Aug. 31, 2014, when he collects a $1 million after-taxes annuity.

"My situation is fine," Dodds said, refusing to elaborate.

Dodds has a provision in his contract that will allow him to move into a consulting role in the Texas athletic department for $100,000 per year for as long as he wants after he's done as AD.

(Brown)

I also spoke with Justin Connolly, ESPN's senior VP of programming for College Networks, about any possibility of LHN getting picked up before the season.

"It's been reported we are in a broad-ranging negotiation with Dish Network, and that's ongoing," Connolly said.

I asked how much of Texas' poor performance in 2012-13 - in all major sports - was setting back ESPN's efforts to get LHN?

"We want success," Connolly said. "It's not make or break. But it certainly helps."

LHN will feature Ricky Williams as an analyst on gamedays. Former Georgia QB David Greene will also work for LHN, which will simulcast the Texas-BYU game and air a special on the 1963 national title team dubbed "1963" (airing Aug 30 at 8 pm).

Ennis 2015 defensive end James Lockhart visited for UT's scrimmage on Sunday night, and Texas made a huge impression.

Lockhart was accompanied by his mother and grandfather.

"That was pretty cool to have some family members actually go with me this time. It was the first time for my grandfather to ever be in Austin. He met Mack Brown. It was good to see him happy," Lockhart said.

Lockhart and his family also got a chance to talk with Earl Campbell, something both Lockhart and his grandfather really enjoyed.

The visit moved Texas into the early lead for Lockhart's commitment.

"I really am big in to the SEC. I love the SEC. But so far, I think Texas is my No. 1 school," Lockhart said. "Of all my offers, that's the school that's hunted me done, shown me the most interest. I'm not saying other schools aren't showing interest, but Texas is just after me. They're my number one right now."

Lockhart said Texas is recruiting him as a strongside defensive end.

"That's basically what I already play. Unfortunately, I haven't talked to any other schools about where they're recruiting me besides TCU. I haven't talked to my other offers about what they're recruiting me as. Texas, we talk a lot, they have everything I want. to me, they're blowing the rest of the schools out of the water."

Lockhart said he'll return to Austin for at least one home game. He's also looking at hitting a TCU and a Baylor game. Along with the UT offer, Lockhart said he's been offered by TCU, A&M, Texas Tech, OU and Baylor.

Lockhart said he plans to take his time with the recruiting process, targeting this time next year for a commitment. But with the strong impression Texas has made in the last month, a decision prior to that timeframe wouldn't be a complete shock. (Suchomel)

A few of you asked this week for us to check in with our sites covering the other Big 12 programs, so we did just that to work up a Q&A on each team in the conference.

BAYLOR (SicEmSports.com Publisher Kevin Lonnquist)

1. What are the biggest storylines of fall camp?

There are several for the Bears.

Does quarterback Bryce Petty have what it takes to run the offense? He's had a pretty solid fall camp but he's also working with some young, dynamic but unproven receivers. I think Baylor will take it slow with him in what is a soft non-conference schedule (Wofford, Buffalo & UL-Monroe). If he gels with the likes of Corey Coleman and Robbie Rhodes (Rhodes will play a lot this year), then the Baylor offense may look as good as it has in previous seasons.

Can the defense take the next step? Well, the latter half of the 2012 season gave the impression Phil Bennett's unit was capable with great wins over Kansas State and UCLA. One big spring move may help what has been an erratic secondary. Sam Holl was moved from safety to the "Bear" (nickel back) and Ahmad Dixon moved from the Bear to safety.

Can Baylor handle the expectations? This program has gone from afterthought, to respectable to where many believe they can contend for the Big 12 title. This is a new brand of thinking. It's a lot different from being the hunter to the hunted. So far, players and coaches have said the right things.

What is Javonte Magee's status? The star sophomore defensive tackle left camp on August 10 to deal with what is being called personal matters. As of August 21, he had not returned to Baylor. He remains on the Baylor roster but is not on the two-deep. So his status is unclear. If he were to not return, it would be a serious blow to the defensive front.

2. What are this team's strength and weakness on each side of the ball?

Strengths -- It could have the best running game in college football between Lache Seastrunk and Glasco Martin. There's ambitious talk about each rushing for a 1,000 yards. The linebacker position could be pretty interesting with all-Big 12 player Bryce Hager and "fast" Eddie Lackey. Lackey isn't imposing size wise but he just seems to make plays. Keep an eye on Hager's backup, redshirt freshman Aiavion Edwards.

Weaknesses -- The defensive tackle situation is still a bit of a mystery because there are young and inexperienced players along with the Magee situation. That's why you'll see Waco's Andrew Billings, a true freshman, in the middle of the mix. The secondary has five seniors in it including Dixon and Joe Williams. But this group did tend to gamble a bit and pay for it. We'll see how much Dixon settles things back there. Wide receiver is also a little iffy because Coleman and Rhodes haven't played a down of college football so you want to see what they can deliver. The potential is great. And with PK Aaron Jones, you just never know. You hope he's credible from 40-yards and in. He's about 62 percent in his career on field goals.

3. Give me three names that fans should know (and one sentence about each player):

RB Lache Seastrunk -- The self-proclaimed Heisman Trophy contender has the second-tier speed that's hard to match

S Ahmad Dixon -- Veteran leader who is arguably the hardest worker that has ever played for Art Briles at Baylor

OL Cyril Richardson -- Art Briles said he's the best offensive lineman in America and could be the first OL taken in the 2014 NFL draft.

4. Any surprise players that fans should know about?

Watch sophomore left tackle Spencer Drango. The Cedar Park product started as a freshman, and he could be poised to have a big year protecting Bryce Petty's blind side.

Sophomore defensive end Jamal Palmer played sparingly in 2012 but he impressed so much in last year's fall camp, Baylor couldn't afford to redshirt him. He will see more playing time. His first step is pretty good.

5. Are there any noteworthy injuries?

RB Glasco Martin dealt with an ankle injury over the summer. However, he did return to practice in pads toward the end of camp. The belief is he should be ready to play in the Aug. 31 opener against Wofford.

RT Troy Baker blew out an ACL in spring football but is coming along pretty well. He isn't expected to play in September, but Baylor anticipates him being ready for the Big 12 season.

6. Do you feel better or worse about this team's season than you did three weeks ago?

I feel about the same. I still have to see the defense make real progress for me to believe they are going to be a Big 12 title contender. I'm not suggesting that it will immediately transform into a suffocating unit. There are good pieces there. Baylor can be a championship contender if it can finish somewhere 5-7 in most of the Big 12 defensive categories. The passing game will take some time but it can be better.

7. Where do you see the team fitting into the 2013 Big 12 pecking order?

When I voted in the Big 12 preseason poll, I picked Baylor fourth behind Oklahoma State, Oklahoma and Texas and in front of TCU. I'll still keep the Bears there. But really, the top 5 teams in this league are legitimate contenders. Baylor has a chance to be in the race and finish something like 9-3. A key game Oct. 12 at Kansas State will tell a lot about this team. Win that one and the Bears could be 7-0 going into a Nov. 7 home game against the Sooners.

IOWA STATE (CycloneReport.com Publisher Paul Clark)

Iowa State's youth and inexperience, especially on defense, is the biggest storyline of fall camp. Iowa State has to replace both starting defensive tackles, both linebackers, a safety and a cornerback, from a year ago. The move of junior David Irving from DE to DT has been the biggest single news story of pre-season camp, along with the healthy return of RB Shontrelle Johnson after off-season knee surgery.

Iowa State has experience on offense and a solid starter at quarterback in sophomore Sam Richardson. With no QB competition to work through, the offense has been able to prepare for the season with Richardson getting virtually all the reps with the No. 1 offense. The Cyclones have several running back options to choose from and an athletic tandem at tight end in Ernst Brun and E.J. Bibbs. Offensive weaknesses would be the lack of proven big time playmakers at wide receiver and a somewhat cobbled together offensive line after a starting guard was lost in the spring.

The defensive strengths are experienced safeties in Jacques Washington and Deon Broomfield, a lock down corner in Jansen Watson and good defensive team speed overall. Weakness is the inexperience and having to replace key guys from the past couple of seasons.

3. Give me three names that fans should know (and one sentence about each player):

Quenton Bundrage - Iowa State's most athletic wide receiver since Todd Blythe.

Rodney Coe - JUCO transfer at defensive tackle with most natural ability at the position since Tuba Rubin (now in the NFL).

Kirby Van Der Kamp - best punter in the country when looking at punting for distance and punting for precision both.

Wide receiver Dondre Daley, cornerback Sam Richardson (not the QB) and all-purpose back Aaron Wimberly.

Lost projected No. 1 guard Shaban Dika in the spring to career ending knee issues. But no known significant injuries this fall.

6. Do you feel better or worse about this team's season than you did three weeks ago?

Better, because of the team's commitment to play to its strengths and run the football out of more pistol formations this year, along with the development of Richardson at QB and the multiple options at RB and TE.

Middle of the pack, somewhere in the 3-6 to 5-4 range for conference record.

KANSAS (Jayhawkslant.com Publisher Jon Kirby)

What are the biggest storylines of fall camp?

There are several new names on the two-deep and much of that is due in large part to the junior college signing class. Most of the junior college players that are healthy are listed in the two-deep on first depth chart Charlie Weis released in early August.

But it is has been evident after interviewing several of the returning players they worked in the off season and weren't going to just give up their positions. There has been good competition at almost every position.

Last year at this time Charlie Weis had trouble putting together a two-deep chart on the offensive and defensive lines. This year when they depth chart came out it was listed with a three-deep.

One of the big story lines is depth. Kansas actually has depth at several positions and many of them have Big 12 caliber players.

The Jayhawks have one of the better running back groups in the Big 12 and it could go beyond that. They have five running backs that have shown they can play in the Big 12. It was deep enough they have moved Tony Pierson and Brandon Bourbon to the Flanker position. It is a new position this year in the offense to help get the ball in their play-makers hands.

By using the F-position (as called on the depth chart) they have divided a deep group of backs and essentially split them in half.

The question mark on offense is the offensive line. When Kansas plays in their first game there is a good chance their total number of combined career starts will be eight. They lost a lot of experience on the line. They have the players to fill in the holes, but many of them have yet to take a snap.

There is a new defensive scheme using a BUCK linebacker who can drop into coverage or rush the passer. They are also using three bigger, down linemen up front. Like the offensive line there is some talent there but a lot of it is unproven.

Through the junior college recruiting they have improved in the secondary and that's a good thing because they plan on playing nickel much of the season according to Charlie Weis.

The strength will be a defensive line that can go eight to nine deep. The weakness will be counting on several newcomers who reported over the summer.

Jake Heaps, QB - Set all the freshman passing records at BYU and took over a leadership role right after the 2012 season ended.

James Sims, RB - Led the Big 12 in rushing last season despite missing three games.

Tony Pierson, F - Moves into a new position and might be one of the most electric offensive players that many fans have yet to follow.

LB - Samson Faifili - Juco linebacker arrived in July and made a quick impact. He has been running with the first unit and plays with a lot of passion.

WR - Christian Matthews - Looked good so far in the pre-season. Signed with Kansas as a quarterback and played some in the Jayhawk formation last year. He is starting to find his way as a wide receiver.

DB - Cassius Sendish - Not often do you see a junior college player who hasn't played a game yet represent his team at Big 12 media day. That's what Sendish did. He's the starting nickel back.

Marcus Jenkins-Moore- LB. He will miss the season with a knee injury.

A little bit better after seeing the shape the overall team is in after a tough off-season with strength and conditioning coach Scott Holsopple. There is good depth. But again, a lot of the talent expected to play a big role is unproven.

Last year they didn't win a conference game. But they played Texas Tech, Texas, and Oklahoma State tight late into the game. This is a tough conference to make a big move up the standings in one year with a lot of new faces.

Last year they were close to getting a win. Expect them to find a way to knock off a couple teams in the conference this season.

KANSAS STATE (GoPowerCat.com Publisher Tim Fitzgerald)

The national focus is, of course, on replacing Collin Klein at quarterback. And there is a lot of local attention on that, but little concern that there will be a big talent drop off. Sophomore Daniel Sams is a skilled runner with a strong arm, and junior college transfer Jake Waters is an efficient passer who is also an able runner. Both are talented, but filling Klein's leadership role is the challenge. That's where Waters is proving to be the likely winner of this battle, if not immediately, eventually.

The real focus in fall camp is rebuilding the front of the defense, where the lone returnee in the front seven is senior linebacker Tre Walker, who is coming off knee surgery. There are plenty of candidates, but who will fill these roles mostly remains a mystery as the season nears.

The offensive line is this team's strength, and that unit has helped power K-State's offense the last few seasons. K-State essentially returns six starters, so there's depth too. There's playmaking ability at both receiver and running back, where two-year starter John Hubert is back. Also, free safety Ty Zimmerman is a potential all-American and acts as the quarterback of the defense.

The weakness of the team will be proving that it has a legitimate pass rush threat. Generating a pass rush, and making teams account for that threat, is crucial in stopping the Big 12's passing offenses.

1. Ty Zimmerman. K-State's senior free safety missed one game last season: Against Baylor, and it showed for the entire defense.

2. John Hubert. A two-year starter at running back, expect the senior from Waco to get the ball more, particularly in goal-line situations.

3. Jake Waters. K-State's probable new quarterback completed 73 percent of his passes last season in winning a national title at Iowa Western Community College.

Two possible breakout stars for the Wildcats are cornerback Dorian Roberts, who was a possible starter in 2012 but injured a knee. Roberts will be a senior, but may serve as K-State's shutdown corner. Also, redshirt freshman receiver Deante Burton is a Manhattan High School product who may erupt into a hometown hero.

So far K-State has remained mostly injury free, although left tackle Cornelius Lucas was missing from Saturday's public practice with what is believed to be a minor injury.

It's impossible to know with Bill Snyder as coach. Media Day was August 5 and Coach Snyder won't speak with the media until August 27, three days for before the Wildcats kick off with North Dakota State. The real excitement around MHK is the opening of the new $75 million West Stadium Center building, or Fort Snyder as it's being called.

It's hard to tell, but they should finish higher than the predicted sixth. K-State's schedule is amazing. After three non-conference home games, the Wildcats go to Austin and Stillwater to open Big 12 season. K-State then returns home to play five of its seven final games in newly renovated Bill Snyder Family Stadium, and leave the state of Kansas just once (Lubbock) in those final seven games. So, if Snyder maneuvers his team to a 4-1 record after those first five, then watch out. Snyder is up to his old tricks in Manhattan and will likely steer his team into the race for another Big 12 title.

OKLAHOMA (SoonerScoop.com Publisher Carey Murdock)

The quarterback battle and the lack of defensive linemen and OU giving the only media photo/video access the first day of camp at 6 a.m., which was 40 minutes before the sun came up. We only got 20 minutes of video/photos. They were all in the dark because we had to leave 20 minutes before the sun came up. Our pictures and video sucked.

Weaknesses? Mike Stoops' schemes and Tim Kish's recruiting for the defense. The strengths are Aaron Colvin.

Offensively, it's really just the loss of starting quarterback Landry Jones. Trevor Knight has been named the starter over Blake Bell and he'll bring a more mobile quarterback to Oklahoma's offense for the first time since, well, ever.

Sam Bradford, Gerald McCoy and Trent Williams. These were three guys OU had drafted in the first five picks of the NFL draft in 2009. They don't have any players like that this year.

Lacoltan Bester should be a name that people haven't heard of that catches a lot of passes in 2013.

No one cared about Trevor Knight a week ago, now he's the starting QB.

Geneo Grissom could be a good defensive end. He started last year as a tight end though. Players seem to think he's good.

Kendal Thompson broke his foot the first day of fall camp. He was the No. 2 quarterback going into camp and the No. 3 quarterback beat out the No. 1 quarterback for the starting job. Is OU starting their second best QB to start the season? Probably. We never saw a single snap of fall camp so who really knows.

OU had almost no media access during the spring. We have no idea what the hell to expect. We didn't know anything three weeks ago and we know even less today.

Probably first because the Big 12 is crap. Even though OU isn't OU, the rest of the conference is like Baylor. They'll score some points and the defense sucks.

OKLAHOMA STATE (OStateIllustrated Publisher Jeff Johnson)

Quarterback battle and new coordinators on both sides of the ball. I think initially the QB "battle" was a little bit manufactured for two reasons - hoping to convince Wes Lunt to stick around coming out of spring football and also as a strategic advantage in the season opener against Mississippi State. From the start of fall camp, it was apparent that J.W. Walsh spent the summer working very hard on his throwing mechanics. That fact has turned the QB race into a legitimate competition. New OC Mike Yurcich is a proven commodity … at a much lower level. How he handles the offense in the first few games will be telling. New DC Glenn Spencer is not new to OSU, having been the co-DC under Bill Young. It doesn't appear he'll change OSU's schemes a large amount, but will likely be a more aggressive play-caller.

The offensive line has the most questions, with G Lane Taylor and C Evan Epstein gone from last season. OSU's offensive lines under Joe Wickline have tended to be very good, even when they've had a lot of holes to fill, but it remains to be seen. The Cowboys return starters on defense everywhere but defensive end and one spot at linebacker and cornerback. Former baseballer Tyler Johnson did start some games last year, and was probably OSU's most effective end late in 2012. Finding three guys to form a rotation with him was a key to fall camp. At linebacker, Ryan Simmons moves to the weak side to fill Alex Elkins' role from last year. Simmons backed up Caleb Lavey at the Mike last season. Sophomore Kevin Peterson steps in opposite of Justin Gilbert after seeing a fair bit of work last season as a true freshman.

WR Josh Stewart - OSU's leading receiver in 2012, Stewart is an electric player.

RB Jeremy Smith - Smith has seen quite a few carries despite backing up Joseph Randle for his whole career. Finally gets his shot as RB1 in his senior season.

DT Calvin Barnett - OSU's best interior defensive lineman since at least current Minnesota Viking Kevin Williams

WR Marcell Ateman - part of a deep group of true freshmen, redshirt freshmen and true sophomore receivers, Ateman has been tough to contain all fall.

PK Ben Grogan - the true freshman won OSU's place-kicking duties within the first week of fall camp and has the unenviable task of replacing Quinn Sharp.

SS/OLB Lyndell Johnson - Johnson was a difference-maker in several games last season despite being veteran STAR linebacker Shaun Lewis' backup. He has moved to strong safety and while he may not start at either spot, will be on the field often.

DE Jimmy Bean - Bean has always had questions about him, from his ability to gain the requisite weight and recover from the knee injury that forced him to redshirt last season. He had a very strong spring and has continued it into fall camp.

None that we're aware of, but Gundy's camp has had all information on lockdown all fall. Especially anything relating to injuries.

It's a little hard to say given the lack of access and information, but I would say slightly better. That's based largely on the fact that players and coaches alike seem to have a quiet, but strong air of confidence.

Obviously, they were picked to win the Big 12, but it was a close vote. The potential is absolutely there. The reality will come down to quarterback play, filling a handful of holes and how the new coordinators do on game day. It's those questions that prevented OSU from being a runaway favorite to win the league. If they find positive answers on all or most of those questions, a second Big 12 championship in three seasons could be in the cards.

TCU (PurpleMenace.com Publisher Billy Wessels)

The biggest storyline for TCU so far in fall camp is who is going to be the starting quarterback in the season-opener versus LSU. The general consensus of the fans is that Casey Pachall will be back under center to lead the Frogs even though he missed the final nine games of last season by going to rehab, but that may not be the case. TCU coach Gary Patterson has been touting the improvement of quarterback Trevone Boykin and hasn't indicated a starter yet. Don't be surprised if both quarterbacks find their way into that game.

The offensive strength for the Horned Frogs is running back depth. TCU has three running backs that could play just about anywhere in the country. Waymon James returns from a season-ending knee injury he suffered in week three last year. BJ Catalon stepped up huge as a true freshman last season and will be a big weapon this year. Aaron Green transferred to TCU from Nebraska and will get some touches this year.

The offensive weakness is on the offensive line. One of the team's returning starters, Tayo Fabuluje, quit just as fall practice began. The team has talent there, but the Frogs are extremely young up front and not very deep due to injuries.

The defensive strength is in the secondary. TCU brings back most of what was the best defense in the Big 12, but the key part of that is cornerback Jason Verrett. He's a preseason all-American by every media source's opinion and should be a first-round draft pick after his senior campaign.

The defensive weakness is the linebackers. The most experienced linebacker Joel Hasley quit at the beginning of fall practice and now TCU must fill that void. They have talent there with Jonathan Anderson, Marcus Mallett and Paul Dawson, but they are short on experience.

3. Give me three names that fans should know (and one sentence about each player)

1. Ty Slanina: The true freshman wide receiver with amazing speed has been Patterson's favorite conversation piece so far this fall and should play a major role this fall.

2. Halapoulivaati Vaitai: The sophomore offensive tackle has been impressive this fall and may be playing into a starting job on the young offensive line.

3. Jon Koontz: A lot of the credit on the defensive line for TCU goes to Chucky Hunter and Devonte Fields, but Fields won't be playing versus LSU so the senior defensive end will need to step up in a big way.

Junior tight end Stephen Bryant missed all of last season due to a knee injury on the first day of fall practice. He's back to full health and will likely be a key piece of TCU's offense this year.

Junior wide receiver Brandon Carter has the most catches, yards, touchdowns of any returning TCU wide out and he's dealing with a hand issue. He returned to practice earlier this week, but isn't quite 100 percent yet. It's still unclear if, or how much, he will play versus LSU.

I feel a little worse with the losses of an offensive lineman and linebacker, which were already two areas of need for TCU. But the team does still have plenty of talent on both sides of the ball, it's just a matter of that talent turning into productivity.

I still think TCU is in the top half of the Big 12, probably in the top three. It's pretty wide open this year so anything can happen. If TCU's offense can get into a groove once Big 12 play begins to go with its stout defense, the Frogs could finish at the top of the conference.

TEXAS (Orangebloods.com Editor Jason Suchomel)

Coming into camp, everyone figured the big story would be the continued development of the Texas offense under new co-offensive coordinators Major Applewhite and Darrell Wyatt. While that is still a hot topic, the story that has dominated the headlines has been the rollercoaster ride of junior college offensive tackle transfer Desmond Harrison.

Harrison, who many believe will be UT's starter at left tackle in short order, was held out of more than a week's worth of practices while Harrison dealt with some "academic issues." Harrison, it turns out, took an online class from BYU, only to have BYU later rescind his course credit, after Harrison had already passed the class and enrolled at Texas. The Longhorns face BYU on September 7.

Harrison appealed through BYU but that appeal was denied. Texas then appealed through the NCAA and got a quick resolution, with Harrison cleared to practice and play in all games on Wednesday. He's behind the curve after missing so much practice, but there's some thought that Harrison could be as good as any lineman Texas has.

On offense, and really on both sides of the ball, it has to be the experience that Texas returns. The Longhorns return 19 starters from last year.

The strength, in terms of position groups, just might be the offensive line now that Harrison is back in the fold. If he's as good as people think he is, it gives UT a lot of depth and experience up front.

The running back position is also loaded, with Johnathan Gray, Malcolm Brown and Joe Bergeron all expected to turn in big seasons. Brown and Bergeron do need to stay healthy though.

Defensively, the strength is probably at cornerback, where Quandre Diggs and Carrington Byndom form a terrific duo. Those two have cross-trained at nickel back/safety, respectively, due in large part to Texas having some talented young CBs behind them. The defensive end position also has a lot of talent, headlined by Jackson Jeffcoat.

DE Jackson Jeffcoat - The former 5-star DE missed a good portion of last year, but he's healthy now and Texas is counting on him to put up big numbers rushing the quarterback.

OLB Jordan Hicks - His story's similar to that of Jeffcoat. A 5-star LB, Hicks missed most of 2012 but he's healthy now and he should be able to provide some leadership to an otherwise young LB group.

WR Mike Davis - He doesn't always get the credit he deserves, but Davis is UT's top receiver after catching 57 passes for 939 yards and 7 TDs. He should top those numbers this year.

I'm not sure I'd call anyone a "surprise" so far in fall camp, but a handful of guys have made strong impressions.

OG Trey Hopkins is an interesting player, because he just may be UT's top lineman and the coaches are tinkering with the idea of moving him from guard to center, where he'd replace returning starter Dominic Espinosa.

TE Geoff Swaim, a JUCO transfer, has climbed the depth chart and is now looking like he'll take the starter's snaps away from M.J. McFarland. Swaim was regarded as a blocker when he was brought in, but he's surprised with his ability to make plays in the passing game.

DB Duke Thomas has flipped from CB to WR and back to CB, and the coaches have said he's been playing at a level equal to the team's starters. Only a sophomore, Thomas will be heavily involved, particularly with UT expected to run a lot of nickel.

Texas suffered some injuries early in camp, but for the most part, everyone is fairly healthy. DB Quandre Diggs, WR Mike Davis and WR Jaxon Shipley all missed time early in camp but have returned to action. Safety Josh Turner continues to come back from an injury, and he should return soon.

The position that's been hit the hardest is certainly wide receiver. Davis and Shipley returned, but Texas lost key back-ups Marcus Johnson (knee) and Bryant Jackson (foot) for the foreseeable future.

Other players have missed a practice or two with nicks and bruises, but they're all expected to be fine.

This team's such a wildcard, it's nearly impossible to answer this one. I do think the defense has made improvements, and from everything I've heard, QB David Ash has had a very strong camp. If both of those carry over into actual games, Texas should feel pretty good about its chances in just about every game on the schedule.

All that being said, I'm at the point that I'm going to have need to see a game or two before I really have a feel of what the 2013 Texas Longhorns will look like.

On paper, Texas is the early favorite in every game on its schedule. Does that mean the Longhorns will run the table? That will obviously take some good fortune, but that's the goal that is being thrown around.

Texas should be in the upper-echelon of teams that competes for the conference title, along with programs like Oklahoma State, OU and TCU.

TEXAS TECH (RedRaiderSports.com Associate Editor Mike Graham)

It's definitely quarterback Michael Brewer's undisclosed back injury. A redshirt sophomore, he was presumed Seth Doege's replacement dating all the way back to December, 2011, when Jacob Karam transferred to Memphis.

A true freshman early enrollee named Davis Webb pushed Brewer through spring ball and that quarterback duel was supposed to go into the fall, but the presumption among those in the know was Brewer would win out based on experience.

Unfortunately, Brewer was sidelined with a back injury and the coaching staff hasn't been able to get anything out of him since the first days of fall camp.

So it's Webb's show to run, right? Maybe. A fellow true freshman, walk-on Baker Mayfield from Lake Travis suddenly started to give chase to Webb and they're entangled in their own battle.

Head coach, chief offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Kliff Kingsbury could use Webb, Mayfield or a combination of both against SMU. The head coach says it's a game-time decision.

My bet is on Webb or a split. I just don't think Mayfield has been around long enough to run the team outright on a month of organized experience.

Brewer remains inactive and probably too much time has gone by for him to enter the mix for the season-opener even if he gets cleared to practice in the days leading up to SMU.

With the brand new coaching staff in the best position they'll ever have to keep an opponent in the dark, Kingsbury has been very secretive.

When the Brewer news got leaked out, Tech cancelled media availabilities for a full week and have been very vague about injuries and internal decision making since.

SMU didn't have much to go on anyway considering there's no film of Tech athletes working in the new coaching staff's offensive and defensive systems. The staff seems intent on using every element of surprise they can.

Believe it or not, defense might be the advantage of this Tech team.

The front seven is considered a strength of the team. The secondary is breaking in four new starters, but senior free safety Tre' Porter has experience playing nickelback last season and a mix of corner and safety in his underclassman years.

Cornerback was a big concern going into fall camp, but the Red Raiders look like they have two answers at corner plus two other good corners working their way into the mix back from injuries last season.

The running backs corps is highly underrated. Tech returns an 824-yard rusher in Kenny Williams and returns DeAndre Washington after he redshirted in 2012 on the heels of an ACL injury late in 2011. Furthermore redshirt freshman Quinton White and Tyler Middleton give the Red Raiders a three-four punch.

The receivers are very strong, headlined by a 1,000-yard receiver in Eric Ward who decided to come back to Tech rather than go to the NFL Draft. Then there's Jace Amaro who has as much upside as any tight end in the nation and a slew of younger receivers who have had good camps.

Offensive line is a huge concern with its lack of depth and, obviously, starting a true freshman quarterback has its inherent disadvantages.

Tech will definitely have to rely on its defense early on.

1. RB Kenny Williams, Jr. - Williams could break the 1,000-yard barrier this season if he can fend off DeAndre Washington for a bulk of the carries. That being said, running backs could get more carries than the Tech usual due to the quarterback situation.

2. RB DeAndre Washington, So. - Back from rehabbing an ACL injury last season, Washington was the favored ahead of Williams in 2011 and had some really good games as a true freshman.

3. LB Pete Robertson, So. - This former Longview quarterback has done it all defensively. He started out at Tech as safety, got moved to defensive end and now plays outside linebacker where he'll start as a player a former coach advertised as the Red Raiders' own Von Miller.

The true freshman quarterbacks Davis Webb and Baker Mayfield.

Webb was Tech's choice after Tyrone Swoopes, Cody Thomas and J.T. Barrett committed elsewhere and turned out to be more than Tech bargained for. I saw him in a high school game and walked away thinking this could be the first Tech quarterback drafted in a semi-high level of the NFL Draft in modern history. Trent Dilfer accepted Webb to the Elite 11 Camp and compared him to a 17-year-old Tom Brady.

Mayfield is a Lake Travis kid and obviously had success in that quarterback factory, including guiding the Cavaliers to a fifth-consecutive 4A state championship. He likes to run and he's built like Jon Kitna. He's a walk-on, but he had offers coming out of high school to Washington State, Rice and Florida Atlantic. He could be a steal considering he's paying to play this season.

Michael Brewer's back injury is the key injury.

Right guard Tony Morales suffered a shoulder injury and will miss at least the first game of the year causing an offensive line shuffle.

Worse.

Starting a true freshman quarterback over at least the early portion of the season obviously has disadvantages. The offensive line also has not developed as well as Tech fans would have hoped.

That being said, the Red Raiders might have a respectable defense.

I think Tech has enough to get past SMU, Stephen F. Austin and Texas State. In between Stephen F. Austin and Texas State is a Big 12 opener against TCU in Lubbock and that game is a toss-up.

We can revaluate the situation as Michael Brewer progresses, but tough games against TCU, Baylor, Texas, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State look less favorable to varying degrees.

Sixth or seventh.

Tech has enough today to win seven games. It's a competitive Big 12 team with a ceiling of eight wins and a floor of five wins. We'll average that out and call them a 7-5 team mixed in with a pack of other 7-5 teams.

The Red Raiders will probably have something over or tie the likes of Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State and West Virginia at the end of the year in the standings. That's not a bad first year for Tech's brand new coach, especially considering what the Red Raiders return in 2014.

WEST VIRGINIA (WVSports.com Senior Writer Keenan Cummings)

The biggest story line without a doubt would be who will be the quarterback for the Mountaineers in 2013? It's a question that as of today has yet to still be formally addressed, although all indications are Florida State transfer Clint Trickett is currently the clear front runner for the spot. Behind that, the next thing people wanted to know was who will replace the weapons lost from a season ago and will West Virginia improve on the defensive side of the ball?

Offensively the Mountaineers have a very deep backfield that only got deeper over the summer with the addition of Houston transfer Charles Sims, who led the Cougars in rushing a year ago. West Virginia already returned the team's leading rushers from the past two seasons in Andrew Buie and Dustin Garrison, and also added junior college transfer Dreamius Smith and true freshman Wendell Smallwood in the spring. This should be the strength of the offense this year.

Defensively the Mountaineers are deep in a couple areas, but the line returns two of the best players from the team a season ago in Shaq Rowell and Will Clarke, along with some of the freshmen maturing with a year under their belt.

Charles Sims - He has been every bit as explosive and impressive as billed since his arrival in Morgantown. An all-purpose back that is as good of a pass catcher as he is a running back.

Quinton Spain - The redshirt junior will be the anchor of the Mountaineers offensive line from his left tackle spot.

Karl Joseph - The team's leading tackler a season ago, Joseph returns with a year of experience under his belt and a leader on the Mountaineers defense.

Two names to watch closely are junior college players wide receiver Kevin White and outside linebacker Brandon Golson. White is a big bodied wide receiver with speed on the outside that enrolled during the spring and has taken advantage of his opportunities becoming one of the most impressive on the roster. Golson, arrived before camp, but is the athletic pass rusher that the Mountaineers needed last season.

Redshirt freshman Adam Pankey was injured prior to camp but won't return until sometime during the season, while sophomore cornerback Nana Kyeremeh injured his shoulder early into camp and will miss the remainder of the season with spring ball set as the target for his return.

Better. There are still a lot of questions surrounding this team, many of which the answers won't be known until the ball is kicked off, but the Mountaineers have some playmakers on the offensive side of the ball and the defense looks primed to avenge a disastrous 2012 season.

Tough to say right now. I think this is a team that could surprise some people and finish around middle of the pack, although I wouldn't rule it going either of the other directions either. The early part of the season will be telling and if West Virginia can score some upsets they could be in line for a productive season, but a bad start could spell a long year in Morgantown.

As we reported on Tuesday, the news of Texas sophomore forward Ioannis Papapetrou signing with Greek professional team Olympiacos caught the Texas basketball staff by surprise. One source indicated to me that the Longhorns were always "on edge" about the possibility it could happen after Papapetrou's strong summer with the U-20 National Team, but the forward told Texas recently before his decision to sign that he would be returning to Texas. He even had his flight back booked and paid for.

Then, an offer that was nearly impossible to refuse for Papapetrou and his family ? it included five years guaranteed with the total amount being roughly $2 million ? came from one of the biggest basketball names in Europe just before the Athens, Greece native was about to leave. It would have been extremely tough for Papapetrou to pass on a chance to immensely help his family, and to play for a pro team in his home country.

This won't come as a surprise, but after checking with a couple of sources, Papapetrou's unexpected stay in Europe is going to hurt... a lot. You might not hear that publicly, but behind the scenes people know that the Papapetrou loss takes a lot of wind out of the sails. People around the UT program weren't shy when it came to talking about Papapetrou's leadership and the dynamic he created offensively when he was on the floor because of his ability to be an inside-outside player, and rightfully so. Rick Barnes has talked about changing the culture, and Papapetrou was a big part of that.

How do the Longhorns replace him? I don't know that they can, and what I mean by that is that there isn't anyone on the roster that fills the role of the three like he could. Texas could go really big with a lineup that included Jon Holmes or Connor Lammert, both players that have three-point range, at the three with Cameron Ridley and Prince Ibeh at the four and five respectively. But Holmes and Lammert don't have the ability to defend quicker, smaller players near the perimeter, and can't really put it on the floor nearly as well as you want from that position. Texas could go small with Demarcus Croaker or Kendal Yancy at the three, and maybe even the 6-4 Martez Walker. However, all three of those players are more of combo guards or more traditional two guards, and by depending on them, you're assuming they'll adjust to college basketball and excel quicker than most freshmen.

You get the picture… there isn't an easy, clean fix.

The Longhorns are going to not only have to develop a vocal, clear leader of the team when classes begin, but they'll also have to get creative with their roster.

I checked in with one source about the group of freshmen, and that person indicated that the group has looked good this summer. Isaiah Taylor continues to impress with his vision, quickness, handle, and ability to create shots for others, something Texas struggled to do last year. Demarcus Croaker has the potential to impact the team in a big way if he figures it out. But as this source said, the freshmen have been good, but they're not Papapetrou.

It was already vital before, but it is even more imperative now that players like Cameron Ridley and Javan Felix take a big step forward to become better basketball players. Ridley has to figure out the mental approach it takes to excel at a high level on a consistent basis, and Felix will likely have to thrive in a role that will force him to shoulder a lot of scoring some nights. A team that already struggled to score last year just lost one of its best scoring options. Every returning player has to improve, and in most cases, improve a lot. (McComas)

This post was edited on 8/23 12:50 AM by ChipBrown

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News