ADVERTISEMENT

Inside the War Room (August 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suchomel

Staff
Aug 10, 2001
Let's start this week's War Room off with some team notes we picked up after making some calls on Thursday morning and Thursday evening ...

- Another day, and more changes along the OL. Thursday's first group :

RT Camhron Hughes
RG Kent Perkins
C Dom Espinosa
LG Sed Flowers
LT Marcus Hutchins (who is still listed as a DT on the official preseason roster)

Second Group

RT Alex Anderson
RG Rami Hammad
C Jake Raulerson
LG Taylor Doyle
LT Kennedy Estelle

We've said it all week, but expect continued shuffling along the line as Joe Wickline tries to find his best combinations.

- One source said Desmond Harrison was running with the third group at right tackle Thursday after working with the second group in previous days. Harrison apparently got in trouble a few times through the week for mental mistakes, once jumping offsides for a false start due to Jerrod Heard's cadence.

- In one practice, S Eric Huhn had a big pick on Jerrod Heard during 7-on-7s where he really stretched for the ball and showed great ball skills and body control to stay up and keep the return alive.

- One person said safety Dylan Haines has been a fixture in the first defensive group's rotation for team drills and it looks like the unheralded walk-on from Lago Vista could be on his way to cementing a nice role for himself in 2014. Holding onto a starting role me be tough but Haines has clearly gained the confidence of the coaches.

- Along with Haines, freshman CB Jermaine Roberts has been an under-the-radar defensive athlete getting some first-team run. Roberts also joined a depleted punt return corps on Thursday so the staff could have a look at him in that capacity. Expect to see the true freshman on the field in 2014 in some capacity.

- WR Marcus Johnson returned to practice Wednesday after nasal surgery and has run most of the time as the No. 1 split end with the first team, one source said. On Thursday, Johnson also got some working fielding punts with the return team.

- According to one person close to the team, Quandre Diggs exploded on a ball in first team vs. first team 7-on-7s and robbed David Ash blind for what would have been a pick-six on a quick hitting out route to his side. Diggs apparently made a couple very good plays on Thursday.

- True freshman DB Jason Hall has been seeing more and more significant time with the twos as a safety, one person said. He'll be another player to watch for extended playing time right off the bat as a freshman.

- A small handful of freshmen are getting long looks with the second team, one source said. A couple of the names mentioned (along with those we've already written about) include Poona Ford and Edwin Freeman.

- One team source said WR Jacorey Warrick's shiftiness has allowed him to shake free a couple times and he's taking advantage of his increased reps due to low WR numbers. He's been lining up in the slot with the first group for quite a few snaps, and gives the safeties trouble when he sinks into his cuts and bursts out. He's a player that can separate with agility and really quick feet.

- From the sound of things, the staff is mixing and matching bodies everywhere, not just along the offensive line. It seems the coaches want to get a look at basically everyone (especially the young players) in first and second-team situations to see how they react and how the group operates with different "ingredients" dashed in here and there.

- With all the substitutions occurring, one name that we asked about who our sources haven't heard much from is DE Caleb Bluiett. It's very early, but Bluiett's absence from those standing out comes as somewhat of a surprise given his reportedly very solid spring and summer. It sounds like starting DE Shiro Davis has taken virtually every first-team rep in drills and seems about as safe in his role at this very early juncture as the rest of the undoubtedly starting defensive line in Cedric Reed, Tank Johnson and Malcom Brown. We're told again and again Davis is looking more comfortable dropping into space and looking for work in coverage.

- More talk of long, tall, freshman slot WRs: on Wednesday it was Lorenzo Joe seeing extended work with the second team as the slot man and on Thursday it was Garrett Gray who lined up inside FR WR Dorian Leonard who was on the outside.

- The most surprising slot receiver of the week, though, we're told, was a walk-on who got lots of run with the first team on Thursday. One source said he thought sophomore WR Ty Templin from Granbury was targeted on back-to-back snaps by David Ash when Templin was able to get free - cutting outside and underneath the coverage on Marcus Johnson.

- A Demarco Cobbs sighting, per one person we talked to ... Cobbs made a couple nice plays with the second team in scrimmage work, including one would-be sack where he shot through untouched on an inside blitz.

- It sounds like all the QBs are getting quite a bit of work and the reps have been divided pretty evenly. However, the people we talked to this week said Tyrone Swoopes is getting most of the second-team reps so far.

- No real details, but we're told TE Geoff Swaim and WR Jacorey Warrick were both involved in the passing game in Thursday's practice. Also, one person said the focus has been on the quarterbacks making quick reads from the pocket and getting the ball out quickly. When the offense needs more time for a play to develop, there's apparently been a lot of rolling the pocket.

- One source we talked to on Thursday said the offensive line seemed to get the best of the defensive line in one on ones (although Malcom Brown apparently was unstoppable). In team scrimmage, it sounds like the defensive line was up to the task and may have even had the upper hand.

- One team source we talked to said there's a lot more inner-practice discipline going on than what the team is used to seeing. There's a lot more up-downs from every position group when mistakes are made or when maximum effort isn't given.

Speaking of discipline, there was apparently a scuffle between the offense and defense during Thursday's practice that originated in the trenches. The entire team had to run as punishment. (Orangebloods Staff)

Texas senior defensive end Cedric Reed is a man of a few words, but always says something meaningful when he speaks.

Reed was recently asked what his motivation was this season, and his explanation went far beyond being competitive or trying to improve his NFL draft stock. He is more focused on improving a defense which allowed nearly 31 points a contest during the last five games of 2013.

"We're hungry," Reed said. "Me, Quandre (Diggs), Malcolm (Brown), Dom (Dominic Espinosa), all the guys. Especially the ones me, Malcolm, Quandre, the ones who came back (and did not enter the NFL draft), we're hungry. We want to get this thing back on the road. We just don't want to leave our destiny of those guys that had probably the worst defense ever. We're ready to get this thing turned around." (Richardson)

The majority of Longhorns fans are worried about quarterback David Ash surviving this season after he sustained two documented concussions in 2013, but running back Malcolm Brown is optimistic about his quarterback's health.

"I know David is a strong person, a strong player," Brown said. "It's always one of those deals where you don't want your starting quarterback to have a concussion, but I think David will be more protective of himself and know what he has to do to help the team and still be a part of the team with staying healthy. I'm not worried about David. He's a smart kid, and he knows what he has to do." (Richardson)

The Longhorns spent the first two days of training camp without pads, but coach Charlie Strong said contact was allowed on Wednesday. So far, senior receiver Jaxon Shipley (hamstring) was the only player to sustain significant injury. Redshirt freshman Deoundrei Davis is also sidelined for a previous knee injury. (Richardson)

Strong recently removed the Longhorns logo from the team helmets and reiterated the need for players to earn it back. He has spent time breaking down his players this offseason. You have to believe Strong will start building them back up during training camp to have them mentally ready for the season opener on August 30. (Richardson)

Strong would be happy to have a lot of offensive line depth this season, but is looking to have seven or eight players in the rotation this year. He would like to have a rotation of more defensive linemen. It just might be hard to rotate players in and out with the up-tempo style of many offenses in the Big 12. (Richardson)

The NCAA made some significant changes Thursday, which will ultimately impact the University of Texas and the Big 12 conference.

The NCAA Division I Board of Directors voted 16-2 to grant autonomy to the Atlantic Coast, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and Southeastern conferences, in addition to Notre Dame.

What does that mean?

Schools in the "Power Five" conferences will now have the freedom to write many of their own rules.

The conferences will not be able to determine all of their own rules, but the autonomy actions could allow the power five conferences to decide on things, such as: cost-of-attendance stipends, insurance benefits for players, recruiting rules, staff sizes, allowing players to pursue paid career opportunities and covering expenses for players' families to attend postseason games.

Outside conferences could have the option to adopt the rules the power five puts into place.

Another important point to consider is this motion will now give student athletes a voice in the decision making process. The power five conferences will have 65 votes, along with 15 votes from student-athlete representatives from each league, to combine for a total of 80 votes.

The details as to how the legislation will be passed are still on going.

But the way the NCAA has laid out the method for rules to be passed is as follows:

autonomy.png

The autonomy actions are not set in stone just yet. All 351 Division I schools have the opportunity to submit a veto on the proposal over the next 60 days. If 125 schools veto the proposal, legislation would be dead. If 75 schools veto, then the proposal will go back under review.

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby talked favorably about autonomy on MSNBC's "Morning Joe."

"I think it's going to mean additional benefits for student-athletes," Bowlsby said. "It's certainly going to assure that student-athletes have a few more dollars in their pocket."

How does this impact the Longhorns and other powerhouse athletic programs?

Simple: Texas ? which has ruled as the wealthiest athletic department for seven straight years ? and other top-tier athletic departments could now have the opportunity to give its student athletes a chunk of its profits outside of the regular scholarship limitations.

Some may take this as the NCAA trying to build up some good will with the larger institutions to ultimately inhibit the power five conferences from entirely breaking away from the NCAA.

Others may look at it as a way to pay student athletes more money aside from the traditional cost of attendance.

But the important part of this is the NCAA appears to be working towards financially assisting the student-athletes, which it makes millions of dollars off of every year. (Gaspar)

With the UT coaches busy getting their team ready for the 2014 season, it wasn't an overly active week on the recruiting front but we did check with a few guys to get some updates.

Dallas Skyline LB Anthony Wheeler, who visited both Texas and OU this summer, said those two remain on top of his list. The Sooners have the advantage at this point, but it's a pretty close race.

Wheeler rated OU an "8 or 9" and gave Texas an 8. Baylor is currently third on his list.

He plans to take official visits to both UT and OU. This one feels like it'll come down to a Red River battle, but Wheeler did list Notre Dame, Stanford and LSU as other programs that could get in the mix if they were to offer.

The 6-2, 216-pound Wheeler recapped his visit to UT this summer.

"I went with my mom. It went very well. We just went down there to get a feel for the coaches, talk to coach Strong," Wheeler said. "He told us about the things he's doing to make their defense even better. He said I would be a good fit for their team."

As for the Sooners, Wheeler said he feels most comfortable with the OU coaches and it feels "like family there," but he said Texas will have its chance to re-take the top spot over the course of the fall.

"I guess it would just be me getting to know the coaches better, just get a little more comfortable with them," Wheeler said.

Wheeler said he talks to the UT staff every couple weeks and he is hoping to make it to Austin sometime in the next few weeks to watch a Longhorn practice. (Suchomel)

Mesquite Poteet ATH Deandre McNeal was planning to announce his five official visits this week, but he wound up announcing only three (Miami, UCLA, Oklahoma State).

McNeal visited Oklahoma this week (the Sooners recently offered) and OU sold him on playing H-back in a role similar to what Trey Millard did.

McNeal is still not naming favorites, but said he'd like to make his commitment in late October or early November. He plans on visiting Texas for a home game in the fall and the Longhorns could still land an official visit.

A versatile athlete, Texas is recruiting McNeal to play at tight end/H-back or linebacker (he prefers offense), and McNeal keeps in close contact with UT assistant coach Brian Jean-Mary.

"They're pretty high (on his list) as well. The tradition, the people that are there are really down to earth," McNeal said. "The 40 Acres is a great place."

McNeal was hoping to accompany teammate Malik Jefferson on his visit to UT a couple weekends ago but a family emergency prevented him from making that trip. The two want to continue to play together in college, but McNeal said this week it's not a deal-breaker if they split up.

"It's a big factor. We want to go to the same school," McNeal said. "If can't, we understand, we'll just meet up again in the NFL." (Suchomel)

At one point, it looked like Texas would land Bowie (Arlington) offensive lineman Madison Akamnonu, and recently it sounded like he had his eyes on the Longhorns again. In fact, the athletic, 6-5 offensive tackle prospect has a current top three.

"Yeah, it's Texas, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma," he responded when asked if he had a current top three.

He'll be announcing his commitment on August 24th via Twitter, and said tonight, "I already know where I want to go. I'm waiting just to get the okay from my parents."

So, did he give any hints? Well, despite being in the top three, it doesn't sound like the Longhorns are a realistic option.

"I think it was like a month ago. I haven't really talked to Texas recently," the three-star prospect stated about his communication recently with the Longhorns. "Yeah, I think I'm going to message coach Wickline soon."

And compare that to this when asked how often he's talked to Texas Tech:

"I talk to Tech probably three times a week. I talk to them on the phone about twice a week and every day I'll be tweeting with them and on Facebook."

And Akamnonu went on to say that Texas Tech, "felt a little more like home" when I asked which place was the most comfortable for him when he visited.

Then, there's his response to the communication with Oklahoma:

"Yeah, Oklahoma they send me some film of some of the new stuff they're doing and of players and stuff. I talk to them all the time."

I think it's pretty clear here that unless something drastically changes, this is a two-team battle between Oklahoma and Texas Tech. (McComas)

Bishop Dunne 2015 receiver @admiller_9, this:

To many places i haven't gotten to see so I can't shut down this process just yet.

That tweet seems to indicate the three-star receiver and Illinois commitment is planning on taking some visits. And after talking with him tonight, that's clear.

"I'm looking at I don't know exactly what schools yet but I do plan on taking a few besides Illinois," he before responding with the schools that have stayed in heavy contact with him. "Arizona State, Tennessee, Kentucky, Kansas, Nebraska, and Texas hasn't offered me yet but they've been in contact with me."

As for the Longhorns, the 6-4 Miller hears routinely from multiple Texas coaches.

"Coach Koenning, coach Watson and coach Chambers," said Miller about which Texas coaches he hears from. "I've been talking to all of them for the past month. I talked to each of them once a week."

So, could the Longhorns offer? From the sounds of it, Miller is on Texas' "evaluation list," and will see him at some point in the fall.

"It's just the fact that Koenning hasn't gotten to see me in person in yet that's what they said was holding them back," Miller said about Texas' offer status. "I don't really know for sure."

Miller said that he'll be narrowing down a visit list to "two or three" schools in addition to Illinois. (McComas)

A strange recruiting development recently was when South Oak Cliff (Dallas) defensive back Jamile Johnson suddenly decommitted from Oklahoma. And the two likely won't be getting back together anytime soon.

If you recall, Johnson visited Texas with teammates for one of the Longhorns' one-day camps in July. The three-star defensive back prospect hears from the Longhorns, but he's still waiting for an offer.

"Yes sir. I actually have heard from Texas. I have been hearing from the DB (Chris Vaughn) coach some. It's kind of confusing because they haven't offered me, but I hear from them a lot."

Johnson believes that Texas views him more as a safety ? he said that he's grown and is up to 200 pounds and also that schools are recruiting him at both safety and corner ? instead of corner, where he's confident he can play at the next level.

"I want to play corner at the next level. I asked them why they haven't offered me because I can play corner, but I think because they have a safety they haven't offered. I grew a lot, but I'll still play corner."

Johnson plans on taking all of his official visits before coming to a decision. Right now, it sounds like North Carolina and Nebraska are in the lead, and early playing time will matter a lot for him. However, if Texas offered, it would immediately jump to close to the top of the list.

"Yeah, but, well, Texas would be competing with UNC and Nebraska," he said about Texas moving up his list if it offers. "I'm getting early playing time (at those spots Nebraska and UNC). They're giving me an opportunity to play right away. I always had a dream and that dream was to sign a contract and that's the way to help me." (McComas)

This post was edited on 8/7 10:44 PM by Suchomel

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News