ADVERTISEMENT

Inside the War Room (February 19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suchomel

Staff
Aug 10, 2001
Recently hired Texas running backs coach Anthony Johnson is so happy to be back with the Longhorns, you get the feeling there is no amount of Austin traffic that can get him down.

The majority of Longhorn fans are familiar with Johnson’s football career in Texas. Johnson was a member of the football team from 2001 to 2005, but he battled several injuries throughout his time in Austin. He eventually went into coaching, a career that appears to be his destiny.

After talking to several people about Johnson, I discovered he has been fascinated with the technical aspect of football since playing the sport in junior high school. Johnson was never content with just playing junior high school football. Instead, he was always in his coach’s office begging to watch film and learning how to diagram plays. He even diagrammed a reverse play while in junior high school.

His love of learning continued in high school, and his reputation as a “student of the game” continued to grow. Johnson was a talented football player, but like the kid who takes apart his dad’s radio, he always wanted to know how things worked.

That is why when Johnson’s playing career at Texas was derailed, he dedicated himself to becoming a coach.

After graduating from Texas in 2005, Johnson became an assistant coach at Jefferson High in Texas. He eventually served on the quality control staff at Texas under Mack Brown from 2007 to 2009. Johnson worked as an assistant to the running backs coach, plus he helped analyze video and broke down opposing defensive reports. He was also on the staff when Texas played against Alabama in the 2009 national championship game.

Johnson’s contributions to that 2009 season is one of the many reasons why people speak so highly of him. Many within the building believe Johnson knows how to win. They believe his winning attitude will be contagious in the running backs room. Everyone is excited to know Johnson has been around success in his career.

Since Johnson has been hired, his excitement has been contagious.

Johnson has shown up to Sterlin Gilbert’s offense every day with a notepad and pen because he wants to learn the new offense. From what I have told, Johnson has picked the brain of offensive line coach Matt Mattox and Gilbert to absorb as much as he can.

Another attribute many within the building have noticed is Johnson’s pride in being a Texas Ex. He is genuinely excited to be on campus and a part of the program. Everyone who has been face-to-face with Johnson has been able to sense his UT pride.

In addition, Johnson’s charisma has stood out. He has been described to me as a bright young man with a lot of Texas connections. Nobody doubts that Johnson will do in recruiting this year. In fact, most people within the building expect Johnson to have a connection with his recruits because of his genuine excitement and sincerity.

Overall, Johnson’s enthusiasm has been contagious so far. (Richardson)

I spoke with a few Dallas-area and Arkansas sources regarding new Texas DBs coach Clay Jennings:

Jennings' recruiting area at Arkansas, where he spent the last two seasons, was Texas. Jennings was responsible for oversight in the recruitments of three 2016 players who ended up leaving the Lone Star State for Fayetteville: Micahh Smith (2-star safety; Marshall, TX), Jonathan Marshall (3-star DE; Shepherd,TX) and was the lead-man for big-time Texas RB target, 4-star Devwah Whaley from Beaumont. For the 2015 class, Jennings' first at Arkansas, he's credited with the recruitment of Willie Sykes (3-star CB; Spring, TX) and Nate Dalton (3-star CB, Houston).

"He did a good job recruiting," one person close to the Arkansas program said. "He's personable, he's nice. Really well-liked.

"He recruited Texas along with three or four other guys," the person said, "(Jennings' responsibility) was Dallas, Houston-area and Central Texas."

With oversight of the two most important hotbeds of the entire state, it's clear to see that the Arkansas staff viewed Jennings as its Texas ace. It makes you wonder what areas those three others handled because outside of Jennings', there aren't many other areas to recruit in Texas.

In looking further into his recruitment processes, Jennings seems to have a recruiting style that will mesh with the one Strong and company have brought to Texas. Jennings is known as a low-pressure guy through the process who uses the time to continue recruiting and building the relationship - then helping the staff to close aggressively in the weeks between official visit-time and national signing day. If 2016 shows anything, it's that he's a late closer - all three of the Texas commitments he was heavily involved with signed late in the process.

Said another person of Jennings as a coach, "he came in in year two under Bielema and that was the year the defense had a big leap forward in team defense rankings. The defense took a step backwards in 2015, the big reason for the struggle in the secondary had to do with the linebackers. No bodies, it hurt everything, (Arkansas) had a freshman playing linebacker and the pass-rush wasn't getting home as often. D.J. (Dean, a starting corner) was hurt, it was a lot to overcome."

Jennings is credited with the comeback-story-type development of Tevin Mitchel. "He came in as a big-time recruit," one Arkansas source said of Mitchel, "sophomore year, he got a neck injury, a lot of people thought he wasn't going to get over it because he wasn't the same until his senior year (which was Jennings' first at Arkansas). Jennings moved him inside to nickel and he got drafted."

On why Jennings left Arkansas for Texas, one source indicated the obvious, that it probably had to do with money. However, it wasn't like Jennings was making chicken-scratch in Fayetteville, one source with knowledge of his deal said Jennings was making $320,000 per year and left on his own accord.

By all accounts, Jennings seems like a coach who will assimilate into the culture at Texas easily and make a quick impression on his athletes. No one I spoke with even had a slightly bad thing to say about the guy. However, one member of the Texas 2016 class may have a bit of an awkward reintroduction to his new position coach.

"(Eric) Cuffee, that's an interesting story," one source said. "He was a Jennings recruit that came in for an official visit in January. After the first day, coach heard (Cuffee) was using the trip to recruit kids to go to Texas so (Jennings) sent him right home."

Quick Facts on Clay Jennings

Coaching Overview:

2014-2015 - Arkansas (DBs)
2008 - 2013 - TCU (CBs)
2007 - Baylor (CBs)
2005-2006 - Houston (Safeties)
2003-2004 - Louisiana Lafayette (DBs)
2001-2002 - Sam Houston State (DBs)
2000 - Southern Arkansas (DBs)
1999 - Morningside (DBs)
1998 - Morehouse (DBs)
1997 - North Texas (GA)

- Has coached and developed NFL DBs including Jason Verrett (Chargers), Jordan Babineaux (Seahawks/Titans), Tevin Mitchel (Redskins), Alan Turner (Chiefs), Kevin White (Falcons), Greg McCoy (Bears), Malcolm Williams (Patriots), Rafael Priest (Falcons), Keith Davis (Cowboys), Antwain Spann (Patriots), C.C. Brown (Texans) and Michael Adams (Cardinals).

- In 2014, coached an Arkansas secondary that limited one of the best receivers in recent college football history, Amari Cooper, to 22 yards on 2 receptions, a season-low.

- Was part of the 2014 Arkansas staff that saw his unit finish 10th nationally in total defense.

- In his first three seasons at TCU, was part of the only defensive staff to ever finish with the No. 1 total defense in football three times in a row. (Dunlap)

I was able to catch up with a few people to get a little background on recently-hred Texas wide receivers coach Charlie Williams, two of which are college coaches who know Williams well and another who is a reporter who covered Williams during one of his collegiate stints.

The common thread in all three of my conversations is that Williams is basically a terrific human being and it's pretty much impossible to not like the guy.

Some highlights from my conversations ...

"As a coach, a veteran coach, he's been there, done it. He's handled high-profile players. He has a great rapport with the players. He understands the position, has great experience," said one college coach. "He's a really good technician, but the best thing Charlie does, he's really good with the room. He's really good in terms of managing the room, really good at the overall understanding of the wide receiver position and technique."

Williams' ability to "manage the wide receiver room" could be invaluable for a Texas offensive staff that is very young across the board and still gaining experience. One coach I talked to thought Williams' veteran presence will make him the perfect addition to Texas' current staff.

Of course, with Williams having been out of college football the past four years while he was with the Indianapolis Colts, it's his ability as a recruiter that has the curiosity of Texas fans. Williams isn't necessarily regarded as an "ace" recruiter in terms of national perception, but everyone I spoke with said he'll do just fine in reeling in talent, especially at a school with the resources Texas has.

"He was guy Butch Davis had working with him at Miami," said a reporter who covered Williams during his days at North Carolina. "He's very a friendly guy, really a personable guy with the media.

"He did get some highly rated receivers when he was the wide receiver coach. ... Charlie Williams was noted for having a lot of integrity. He's just a so lid guy. I wouldn't sit here and say he's the best recruiter in the country, but he's a good recruiter because he's such a friendly, warm, personable man.

"He probably has more of a reputation being a solid coach and good guy than he necessarily does being a great recruiter. But he's been at some solid programs, he has a good overall reputation. He's known more as just a good solid man more than a great recruiter. But he has that too."

Another comment from a college coach who is very familiar with Williams' work as a recruiter.

"He's recruited big-time players before. He was at Miami for three years and recruited big-time players. He's recruited Texas before. He's been at Arizona. He's been at North Carolina. The one year at North Carolina, he had Hakeem Nix. He had three guys that were drafted on one team at North Carolina. He's been around big-time players, has recruited well, has a vast amount of experience in Texas. He's such a likeable guy, high school coaches in Texas are going to love him. He's a straight shooter, very humble and down to earth person." (Suchomel)

Texas QB commitment Sam Ehlinger will be at UT's junior day next weekend, and the Westlake product plans to do a little recruiting while also getting more familiar with the new Texas offensive coaches.

"Obviously I already have seen all the coaches, met all the coaches, seen all the facilities. I'm looking forward to meeting some of the guys we're trying to recruit, putting a good image into their head about the environment and people they'd be playing with at the University of Texas," Ehlinger said.

And what will his sales pitch be?

"I don't really know yet, to be honest. I haven't really gone to a junior day," Ehlinger said. "I'm not like a college recruiter, so I don't know how to do it the best way. I'll just introduce myself, get to know them, let them know if they want to go the best university in the country, Texas is the place."

As a high-profile quarterback and an early commitment, Ehlinger is viewed by many as a potential ringleader for the Longhorns' 2017 recruiting class. He's comfortable in that role.

"My whole life, I've kind of been a leader of every group I'm in. I'm more than happy to lead this group to great places," Ehlinger said.

During the visitation periods, Sterlin Gilbert has stopped by Westlake four or five times, Ehlinger said. Ehlinger has been invited to attend every single spring practice and film session if he desires, and he said he'll likely be at several of the Longhorns' workouts.

Ehlinger also plans to graduate in December, making him an early enrollee next January.

Though he and Gilbert have gotten to know each other since Gilbert's hiring, they haven't really had a chance to go through any chalk talk. That will change this spring.

"I've only got to know him as a person so far. We haven't really talked much football," Ehlinger said. "From what I've learned, he's a great guy. I really like him. He reminds me a lot of coach Dodge.

"I haven't watched much of the offense at all. I think I saw one play at Tulsa, and it was one of the plays we ran for a touchdown. That got me pretty pumped. It would be nice to run some of the same stuff we run right now.

As for his commitment to Texas, Ehlinger said he still feels very good about it and honoring his late father was a factor in his decision.

"Just growing up in Austin, knowing how great the city is, it's one of the greatest cities in the United States," Ehlinger said. "It was one of my dad's dreams. He passed away, and I know this is something that would make my family happy, make him happy." (Suchomel)

Temple defensive end Taquon Graham will be at UT's junior day next weekend. The Longhorns are in good shape here, but Graham said he's in no hurry to make a decision.

Graham has already attended a junior day at Baylor, and he gave that trip high marks.

"They put a lot of money into their program, you can just tell," Graham said. "The program looks pretty cool and amazing. It was just a great visit, talked to a lot of coaches, just trying to get the feeling up there."

As for the UT visit, Graham said he's just "trying to get a vibe" on the UT coaches to see how he fits in.

The 6-4, 240-pounder doesn't have a formal list of favorites, but he did tell me Texas "fits in at the top" in his recruitment. TCU was also mentioned as a school that's high on his list.

"It's close to home," Graham said of Texas. "I always grew up watching them, so it's kind of fulfilling a dream a little."

Graham said he'll likely make his decision sometime in the summer. (Suchomel)

Cedar Hill wide receiver Camron Buckley will also be at UT's junior day. Like Graham, his objective on the visit is to get a feel for the UT staff and the entire Longhorn program.

"I just want to get up there, see the field and campus," Buckley said. "The last time I was up there was at the camp. I just want to come up there and get a feel for it myself."

Buckley said he's hoping to attend several junior days this spring, but he has yet to set up his plans, other than the UT visit.

His list ...

"Texas is definitely in the top five, I would say. I like that it's a growing program, I like coach Strong."

As for who else is in the top five, we'll have to wait. Buckley said he plans to formally release his top five at some point this spring.

Buckley said he currently stands at a shade over 6-1 and weighs in at 189 pounds. His goal this spring and over the summer is to continue getting bigger, stronger and faster. Texas offered him after the Under the Lights camp last summer and he's currently holding about eight scholarship offers.

"I'm dynamic. I just know the game, can play it different ways," Buckley said. "I can always improve on learning the game more, reading defenses and just getting open." (Suchomel)

A quick note on Wylie East running back Eno Benjamin ...

Texas hasn't offered yet, but Benjamin does want to make a fairly early commitment, so that could change soon. He's thinking he wants to have his decision out of the way sometime this spring or summer. (Suchomel)

It seems like we update Jarrett Allen’s recruitment every War Room, but the five-star big man is the guy when it comes to Texas basketball recruiting right now. A local product from St. Stephen’s, Allen has made attending Texas home games a habit (it wouldn’t be a shock if he’s there Saturday) and what we continue to hear are two schools the most – Texas and Houston. And also that those in the know seem to think Texas has made some legitimate progress over the last month or so.

That’s not new to those that have followed this closely.

However, there is chatter that there might be an end-in-sight for the recruitment. Although we haven’t been able to confirm this directly with Allen, an announcement at the McDonald’s All-American game (March 30th) sounds like a realistic option. The timing makes sense considering that, well, it’s the McDonald’s All-American game, but also the next signing period begins April 13th. (McComas)

At least one prospect will for sure be in Austin for Texas’ game Saturday against Baylor. Keller (Keller) 2017 four-star combo guard R.J. Nembhard told us tonight that he will visit Texas on Saturday. Nembhard is 6-4, and rated as the No. 47 prospect overall in the 2017 Rivals150. According to him, the plan is to attend the game, hang out a little while, and then head back to Keller.

Nembhard was one of Texas’ early 2017 offers. He also visited during the football season. (McComas)

Was talking to someone that’s spent some time around the Texas’ basketball program, and this person brought up an interesting point: The whole coaching embodies, at least somewhat, the chip-on-the-shoulder mentality, and that might be starting to rub off some.

Despite Shaka Smart’s long list of accomplishments at VCU (Final Four; winning 29 games season after the Final Four; winning the A-10 Tournament despite not having Briante Weber all year last year; etc.), some of the national conversation is that Smart is just now really proving what kind of coach he is. “You don’t really hear and didn’t really hear much about that (VCU) stuff. The guy can really, really coach from an X’s and O’s and development standpoint too.” Mike Morrell and David Cason are grinders that played at small schools and weren’t pros, and Smart falls into that category as well. Straight from the ESPN analyst role that followed his head coaching tenure at South Carolina that ended in 2012, Darrin Horn is back into coaching again.

It doesn’t sound like the Texas staff struggles with finding sources of self-motivation, and the chip-on-the-shoulder mentality does have some of a trickle-down effect. Prince Ibeh and Kendal Yancy both mentioned that phrase in a press conference last week. (McComas)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News