ADVERTISEMENT

Inside the War Room (February 25)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suchomel

Staff
Aug 10, 2001

As we mentioned on the board on Thursday night, Austin High wide receiver Cayleb Jones is planning to attend the UT junior day on Saturday.

This will be Jones’ second visit to Texas in less than two weeks. The blue-chip receiver was in attendance for the Horns’ first junior day of the year and picked up a scholarship during that visit.

Jones has not released a formal list of favorites, but he’s openly admitted that Texas is very high on his list. The return trip to the Forty Acres is obviously a good sign, but Jones did say tonight that he does not plan to make a decision in the immediate future.

We’ll try to get in touch with Jones for a couple quick pre-visit comments and we’ll obviously check with him after the visit to get his thoughts. (Suchomel)

Another big-time visitor for Texas this weekend will be the Horns’ first commitment of the 2012 recruiting class, quarterback Connor Brewer.

The Scottsdale Chaparral product committed to Texas on February 7, and he’s looking forward to his first trip to the Forty Acres as a member of the Longhorn family.

“I can’t wait to meet up with all coaches again, see how spring practice goes, see how coach (Bryan) Harsin is going to coach up the quarterbacks,” Brewer said. “Another big part is the recruits there. It’s going to be a good time for me to tell them why I like Texas so much, why I chose them. Hopefully they can relate to that and maybe we can get a couple of those guys to join us.”

Brewer, who said he speaks with Harsin two or three times a week since his commitment, is a personable kid who has already taken the initiative in building relationships with a number of the Longhorns’ commitments and recruiting targets.

“I talk to Cayleb Jones, Mario Edwards, Orlando Thomas, Kennedy Estelle, Michael Starts, Alex De La Torre … kids I know Texas is very interested in,” Brewer said. “I’m not pressuring them, I’m just talking to them as a kid, just trying to get to know guys I could be playing with in the future.”

Brewer intentionally scheduled his visit to attend the second junior day instead of the first so he could take in a UT practice. He’s looking forward to watching the offense and the quarterbacks in particular. When he eventually joins the mix, the 6-2, 195-pounder said he’ll do whatever is asked of him from the coaches with hopes of eventually locking down the top spot.

“I’m coming in to help Texas any way I can. If they need me to redshirt, that’s what I’ll do,” Brewer said. “If they need me to play, I’m here. I’ll work as hard as I can to progress myself to be the starting quarterback at Texas. I don’t know how long it will take, hopefully sooner rather than later.”

On the recruiting front, Brewer said he has not even talked to any other coaches besides Texas since he committed. Other coaches have put in calls to his head coach, but the attempted contact has been immediately stopped in its tracks.
“I don’t really care for any other schools and I’m not going to care,” Brewer said. “Texas is where I want to be.” (Suchomel)

Caught up with Harker Heights offensive lineman Camrhon Hughes, who will be at UT’s junior day on Thursday.

Hughes picked up his invitation to Saturday’s event this week, but it sounds like things may have happened sooner if not for a mix-up on the phone number he had for UT OL coach Stacy Searels. Searels got in touch with the Harker Heights coaches this week and they patched up the lines of communication and Hughes picked up his invitation.

The 6-6, 269-pounder has attended junior days at Texas A&M, Baylor and Oklahoma State, and he’s also taken an unofficial visit to OU. He’s currently holding offers from Big 12 schools Baylor, OSU, Texas Tech and Texas A&M, and Notre Dame recently extended an offer as well.

Hughes attended UT’s one-day camp last summer and got a look at the facilities, and he said he’s looking forward to Saturday’s visit so he can meet the new UT coaches and pick their brains a bit.

If Texas offers, this one will be one to follow closely. Hughes has grown up wanting to go to Texas, but he said he’s also being advised by people close to him to make 100 percent sure of a decision before making a commitment. If Texas offers, he mentioned there’s a chance he’ll commit but he’d like to talk things over with his parents before making any sort of final decision.

“UT been that school I’ve always wanted to go to. It would be a hard decision,” Hughes said. “My mom is telling me to weigh all variables. But I’ve always wanted to go to Texas.”

“It’s kind of in the area I know. Over the years, I’ve kind of grown up a UT fan. As you get these opportunities to play football, it’s been dream for so long, it’s like it’s what you’ve been waiting for but part of me wants to keep my options open.”

Hughes also plays for Harker Heights’ hoops team, which is still alive in the state playoffs. As f or his game, Hughes listed his strengths and weaknesses:

“Some of my strengths, just try to be faster, quicker than my opponents and have better hands to get good position,” Hughes said. “What I’m going to try to work on, just finishing people and putting them on their back.” (Suchomel)

Spring Westfield DT Anthony Smith is still unsure on whether or not he’ll be at UT’s junior day. Smith said on Thursday night that he’s hoping to talk to the UT coaches on Friday to figure out the details of the proposed visit.

Smith camped at Texas last year, but he has a couple other in-state schools holding a slight edge at this early stage.

“I guess I would say TCU and A&M,” Smith said when asked his favorites. “I like TCU because they don't really discriminate against height and size (Smith said he’s a shade under 6-foot). All their guys aren't too big. With A&M, I like the coaching staff, the atmosphere. I wouldn’t mind being a part of the wrecking crew.”

Smith put Texas at No. 3 on his current list, but said things could change as he finds out more about the new Texas coaches/schemes.

“The coaching staff, I don't know who is really there now,” Smith said. “The coaching staff and the scheme is different. I liked the scheme they run too but that may change. Texas is really a brand new deal.”

We’ll follow up with Smith to see if he has an update on his visit plans. (Suchomel)

A couple other quick-hitter notes …

--- Now that UT has a commitment from Skyline WR Peter Jinkens, who will be in this weekend and could pick up an offer?

“I'm working on that. I told him I committed,” Johnson said. “He said he's thinking about it. I'm going to try to get him down there, but I’m not going to pressure him or anything.”

--- A few of you have asked if UT will recruit RB Barry Sanders, who has expressed an interest in hearing from Texas. We texted with Sanders, and he said he has had no contact with UT. (Suchomel)

On a non-recruiting related topic … nothing earth-shattering, but we’ve heard UT’s spring game, set for April 3, will be aired on one of the ESPN channels, likely ESPN or ESPN2. Will be good exposure for the program, similar to what programs like OU and Alabama have received in recent years. (Suchomel)

Texarkana Texas High’s John Michael McGee is one of the most highly sought offensive linemen in Texas and was invited to the Texas junior day on Saturday.

With the Texas High basketball team in the playoffs, he did not know if he would be able to make it and then there was his track schedule. The basketball team fell to Whitehouse on Tuesday, freeing up his schedule a little bit. However there is a track meet in Royse City this weekend and McGee will not be able to be in Austin this weekend.

McGee already holds offers from Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Stanford, TCU, and Texas Tech, and Texas is showing a lot of interest. He will not make it to Austin this weekend, but he did not count out a future visit to Texas. In fact it sounds like a future visit is very possible.

“I’m sure I’ll get down there soon since it’s my family’s favorite team,” McGee said.

We’ll continue to keep you updated as things develop. (Howell)

This morning I hit the road to San Antonio to make a few stops. Stop one was Sam Houston High School.

Head coach Gary Green and the Hurricanes are hard at work right now preparing for next fall and the competition is fierce. Javonte Magee, Ralphael Green, and Prince Eshan are pushing each other in the weight room and they are all competing in the shot put. Green says he has noticed a lot of improvement already from those three guys and credits a lot of the progress to the competitive nature he has seen from them.

Magee recently picked up an offer from Arkansas to go along with Texas A&M, Baylor and Texas, and Michigan has let him know if he’s interested, they’re interested. Another school on the verge of offering is TCU, and it is looking like he will be taking in the Horned Frogs’ junior day this weekend. If he makes it up to Fort Worth, look for him to leave with an offer.

Another Hurricane drawing interest from TCU is safety Leo Thomas. Thomas attended the first Texas junior day and it sounds like TCU is really coming on strong for the 6-3 defensive back.

Ralphael Green attended the Texas A&M junior day with Magee and Melvin Ross, another big offensive line for the Hurricanes. Ross comes in at 6-3, 275 and is a guy coach Green believes has a chance at some D1 offers once his highlights circulate. Running back JeQuan McGride is an all-purpose back who also has a chance.

In the 2013 class, keep an eye on Joseph Butler. The 6-2, 190-pound prospect played DE this year but could play linebacker or DB for Sam Houston this fall. Safety Terrance Winkfield is also one to watch at 6-2, 175 pounds.Then there is 5-10, 180-pound linebacker Martin Williams.

After the trip to Sam Houston, I stopped off at Cibolo Steele to pick up some video and check in on a few guys. Tommy Armstrong is the guy who has drawn the most attention. TCU offered the 6-1, 215-pound signal caller. D-end Eric Maus, offensive lineman Shawn Benson, and defensive back Evan Lyons are also attracting attention.

In 2013 Jordan Sterns has a chance to be a big time prospect. He played fullback/running back this year, but look for him to move to safety. He is already 6-1, 185 pounds and has very athletic bloodlines. Erik Huhn is already in the defensive backfield and last year played alongside his brother, UTEP signee, Shane Huhn. He’s already as big as his brother and he has better ball skills. He is 6-2 and getting taller by the day. Also keep an eye on receiver Matt Mayle and quarterback/athlete Breylann McCollum.

Then there is Justin Stockton. He has already been timed at 4.4 this year and if you watched the state championship game you saw what this 2014 prospect is capable of doing. He has a lot of ability at 5-9, 160 pounds and has a chance to be the next big thing out of Steele. You know he had to be good to get carries as a freshman in 2010. (Howell)

Finally, we leave you with an overview of the guys who are expected in this weekend. We break down their chances for an offer and the chances they pull the trigger on a commitment while in Austin …

Connor Brewer, QB, Scottsdale (AZ) Chapparal
Committed

Cayleb Jones, WR, Austin High
Chances of an offer: Offered
Chances of a commit: Solid
This will be his second Texas junior day and while he has not said anything publicly, things are looking good for Texas.

Timothy Cole, LB, Brenham
Chances of an offer: Offered
Chances of a commitment: Unlikely
This one looks like a Texas/Texas A&M battle and there are good cases to be made for both receiving his commitment soon. A commitment wouldn’t be out of the question, but Cole likely continues to wait things out.

Malcom Brown, DT, Brenham
Chances of an offer: Definite
Chances of a commitment: Unlikely
Texas has some ground to make up with Brown. Getting him on campus would go a long way, but Texas A&M holds the edge.

Peter Jinkens, LB, Dallas Skyline
Chances of an offer: Highly Likely
Chances of a commitment: Decent
Texas has really made up some ground on Jinkens and it sounds like the Longhorns could be the leader on this one coming out of the weekend. It sounds like it’s going to be a Florida/Texas fight on this front but I think Texas will win this one in the end.

Camrhon Hughes, OL, Harker Heights
Chances of an offer: Possible
Chances of a commitment: Likely
If Texas offers, I think Hughes does not waste any time making a decision.

Corey Coleman, ATH, Richardson Pearce
He’s still deciding whether to attend the Tech junior day or the Texas junior day. He is a guy who seems to be high on the Texas radar at DB and if the Longhorns offer I think they have a good chance to close him.

Paul Boyette, Jr., DT, Humble
If Texas offers I think he pulls the trigger.

Caleb Bluiett, DE, Beaumont West Brook
Again, if Texas offers I think they get him.

Devonte Fields, DE, Arlington Martin
Fields is on a lot of radars and has been to OU quite a few times in the last year. He was invited to the first Texas junior day but could not make it. We’ll see how this one shakes out, but he sounds interested in the Longhorns.

Damien Neroes, LB, Garland
Neroes grew up a Longhorn fan, but OU has really shown him a lot of interest to this point in the process. The big question is whether or not Texas offers. If they do, he could pull the trigger quickly.

Kendall Sanders, CB, Athens
He is still planning to attend this weekend after committing to Oklahoma St. earlier in the week. He has always like Texas but wants to play WR. He’s a more natural DB than he is a WR though and it will be interesting to see what happens. I would have no problems seeing Texas offer but I think if they do they let him know it’s as a DB.

Zorrell Ezell, DT, Humble
Chances of an offer: Unlikely
Ezell is an active undersized DT who has a non-stop motor. Texas is evaluating him and he already holds offers from Baylor and Kansas St.

Anthony Smith, DT, Spring Westfield
Smith is a stout bull of a lineman with more quickness than you would guess just looking at him. He is under evaluation by the Longhorns and currently holds a Baylor offer. He would not mind joining his Spring Westfield teammate Desmond Jackson on the college level.

Glynn Cheeks, DE, Manvel
Cheeks is one of two Manvel defensive ends making the trip to Austin on Saturday and is under evaluation from the Texas staff.

Taiwan Johnson, DE, Manvel
Johnson was named district newcomer of the year in 2010 and has a nice quick first step. He is being evaluated right now. He already holds offers from Kansas St. and Rice.

Nicholas Coleman, CB, San Antonio East Central
Coleman came in for the first junior day and is planning to come back for the second. He is a guy Akina is looking at closely for a DB spot. It’s just my guess, but I don’t see an offer this weekend since Texas appears to be taking things at a slower pace at this position. However, he is a guy to keep an eye on. (Howell)

All of the buzz surrounding 2012 stud point guard L.J. Rose continues to sound very good for Texas. The Longhorns have Rose as a priority, and it sounds like UT is in excellent shape for his services. A source I talked with briefly tonight didn't say a decision would come soon, but he didn't outright deny it.

One of Rose's AAU teammates is guard J-Mychal Reese. There is some buzz that Texas' interest in the 6-1 guard could be increasing. Now, some of you probably see 6-1 and think he has to be a PG, but he's actually a guy that could play off of the basketball. Keep an eye on his recruitment. It sounds like he'll be lining up some visits this summer, and it sounds like the Horns will get one of them.

One player that's been on UT's radar at the shooting guard position is Anrio Adams. Originally from Seattle Franklin HS in Washington, the 2012 6-3 guard is now playing his high school ball at South Kent in Connecticut. Adams' brief stint at Franklin this year was filled with turmoil, and too many off the court issues affected him. Most teams have cooled some on his recruitment until he figures things out. Adams was a player that told me in the past he would be visiting Texas, but the transfer to South Kent, and off the court issues, have thrown a twist into his recruitment. Plus, South Kent has been a school that's been kind to Washington in the past with some west coast kids.

Last week, I did an update on D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera and A.J. Hammons, two 2012 prospects from Indiana. I keep saying it, but keep an eye on these two. I think there is really some serious interest developing. Plus, Smith-Rivera's versatility at the guard position allows him to fit anywhere Texas wants to put him. (McComas)

2012 five-star SG Archie Goodwin has offers from just about everyone. I was only able to grab a couple of texts from him tonight, he asked me to catch up with him in a couple of days, but Texas is still communicating with him. In fact, the Horns checked in on him this week. I still maintain that Kentucky is his leader, but UT is still very much interested. (McComas)
This post was edited on 2/24 11:11 PM by Suchomel
This post was edited on 2/24 11:24 PM by Jason Howell

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News