ADVERTISEMENT

Inside the War Room (March 13th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
Texas made a tremendous impression on just about every kid that attended one of the two Longhorn junior days, perhaps none better than Aledo athlete Ryan Newsome. Newsome was offered at the junior day and Texas has moved into the driver's seat for the playmaking receiver.

"I'm really excited about that. I like the coaching staff. I've known coach Tommie Robinson ever since I was young," Newsome said. "We kind of reunited when he got back from USC. I know he wouldn't lead me astray and he has my best interest at heart so I'm really interested in Texas."

Newsome is holding more than 20 offers and he's not in a big hurry to make a decision. He's hoping to visit a number of schools over the course of the spring (OU, UCLA, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Notre Dame Florida State among them). Florida State recently offered, which like Texas, carries a lot of weight.

"Florida State, that was a big one when it came. They're the national champs and coach (Tim) Brewster told me I'm one of the most explosive guys in the country, probably one of the fastest guys they're recruiting," Newsome said. "That says a lot because you have that Florida speed that's crazy. So I feel pretty good about sitting pretty high with those guys."

As for Texas, Newsome said the Longhorns "happen to be at a place where they're not just trying to get better, but trying to get back to the top." He's not ready to list any formal favorites, but Texas is right there near the top of his list.

"Texas stands out pretty good, just because I'm familiar with those guys ? Johnathan (Gray) and guys like that," Newsome said. "I just want to see them play a season. I feel good about them right now, I just want to see how the season goes." (Suchomel)

About a month ago, it looked like the Horns may be fighting up an uphill battle for Houston Westfield offensive tackle Toby Weathersby. After Weathersby attended UT's junior day in late February, the Horns have vaulted themselves into a position where they're at the top of his list.

"It was everything that everybody said it was going to be. It was pretty nice. When you look at all the new coaches, you just know they're hungry and they're ready to go win a national championship," Weathersby said.

The highlight of the junior day visit, according to Weathersby, was seeing the petroleum
engineering building, seeing some of the drill bits coated with diamonds.

"That was amazing to see," said Weathersby, who will give academics strong consideration on his eventual decision.

Weathersby was offered during the junior day visit. Weathersby, his mother, UT OC Joe Wickline and UT head coach Charlie Strong sat down in Strong's offense during the day and that's when an offer was extended. The bulk of the conversation while in Strong's office revolved around expectations should Weathersby chose Texas.

"Coach Strong was just talking to me about the rules that everybody knows about, all the rules that he just made," Weathersby said. "We talked about that, about what we should do, how we should treat women, things like that. I like those rules."

As far as Weathersby's thoughts on Texas, Strong's rules won't be a deterrent. In fact, Weathersby said he abides by most of those rules already.

"I honestly don't have a problem with that. If everyone knows the high school I come from, Corby Meekins is the same way, with your grades, being in the front of the class, no earrings in the building," Weathersby said. "So it wouldn't be a big switch for me if I was to go there."

Baylor has asked Weathersby to visit on March 22 but he's unsure if he'll make that trip. Texas has asked him to come back for the spring game and any weekend spring practices.

Weathersby isn't ready to name a clear leader, but the Horns are in his top grouping.

"I can't say who is standing out more than anyone else. I have an open mind right now. My decision should be made in the summer time. I would put Texas in the top three though," Weathersby said. (Suchomel)

Texas CB commitment Jalen Campbell took part in both the Dallas and Houston Rivals Camp Series events. For Campbell, who tore up his knee during his team's spring scrimmage in 2013, it was the first real chance to get back out there and test his football skills against elite competition.

It was an up and down day for Campbell who will have to work to shake off some rust, and Campbell said he was a bit sore coming out of the events but nothing that wasn't expected. As for his thoughts on Texas, the Corpus Christi Flour Bluff product said he's still sold on the Longhorns.

"I'm still 100 percent committed to Texas. I love them. It's all good," Campbell said.

Campbell attended UT's first junior day in late February and said he liked the time spent with the Texas coaches.

"I liked them all. They were real, not in your face, but they make you want to go out and play," Campbell said. "I could have gone out and played right after they talked to us."

Campbell loved the previous Texas coaches, but he said after spending time with the new UT staff, he feels like the coaching turnover was a necessary change.

"I think that's what the school really needed. So I'm excited for the push," Campbell said. "A lot of people said that's what they needed. Whenever Mack was here it was more laid back but I think this is what the school needed."

Schools like Baylor, Alabama, Miami, TCU and Arkansas continue to reach out to Campbell via social media, but Campbell said he's still committed "100 percent."

Campbell measured in at 5-10 (barefoot) and 174 pounds at the Rivals camp. He plans to camp at UT in June and will be in Austin for the spring game in April.

The camp appearance in June will be key, as we've heard that Texas will evaluate all its 2015 commitments and offers at that time and make key decisions about who the coaches will recruit. (Suchomel)

Dallas Skyline linebacker LB Anthony Wheeler favored UT early in his recruiting process, but it sounds like Texas may have a bit of ground to make up right now.

Wheeler visited OU recently and the Sooners now have a slight advantage.

"I just had an instant synch when I went down there," Wheeler said of the OU visit. "It's a very good family atmosphere and I just like the coaches very much. :

The Longhorns are still very much under consideration and Wheeler said he's a long way from deciding and Texas will have a chance to regain the lead over time. Wheeler will be back in Austin for the spring game and likely in the fall as well.

"I feel like there's a very good, open opportunity that Texas could come back up," Wheeler said.

When Wheeler attended UT's junior day in late February, he said the personality of Charlie Strong carried a lot of weight with him.

"What stood out, just the coaching staff, getting to know them and getting to sit down one-on-one with Charlie Strong. He's just a good coach and it seems like you can come to him and talk about anything," Wheeler said. "He just seems like a very friendly coach.

"It seems like he expects a lot. He said he's a defensive coach so I'm sure he'll expect a lot out of the defense. And just to get Texas back to being a very good team, it seems like he's a very aggressive coach."

Wheeler lists OU as his leader, with Baylor, Texas, A&M and Alabama running closely behind the Sooners. (Suchomel)

Galena Park North Shore interior lineman Tyler Moore attended UT's junior day and he was one of the better offensive line performers at the Rivals Camp Series Houston event.

Moore had been in touch with Joe Wickline while Wickline was at Oklahoma State, and the contact has carried over to Wickline's role with the Longhorns. Moore measured in at 6-5 and 330 pounds at the RCS event. If Texas chooses to continue to pursue him, it looks good for the Longhorns.

"It's pretty open at this point, but growing up in Texas, being a Longhorn fan all my life, it's always been the dream to play for Texas," Moore said.

Moore can play both center and guard. He was scheduled to visit OU this week for a spring practice and he's already visited TCU, along with Texas. The Longhorns have asked him to attend a camp in June and Moore will likely visit Texas during the Horns' spring practices.

Moore said he likes the new personality of the Texas coaches.

"I really like the change at Texas. I've been up there once before coach Strong got there and I like the changes. I just like the direction they're heading in, more disciplined, and I think that should be implemented in all of college football," Moore said. (Suchomel)

2016 Port Arthur Memorial RB Kameron Martin didn't pick up an offer at his recent UT junior day visit, but it hasn't diminished his feelings towards Texas.

"When I was at Texas, they showed me a lot. Coach Strong, he really loves me. The whole coaching staff showed me a lot of love" Martin said. "I was just very happy to go up there for my first time.

"They sat me down in the room and actually wrote down some plays, how the offense is going to go. They were like, 'Kam, you're number one no our board' and they actually showed me. They said to just be patient with them because they're taking it a little slow. Mack Brown had offered more kids in 2016 and they just want to take it slowly. I talked to coach (Chris Vaughn) last week and I told him I had got offered by Miami on Monday. He was like, 'Just be patient with us and your offer is going to come.'"

Martin is anxiously awaiting a UT offer, but he said he understands that the Texas coaches want to take things at a slower pace since they're still getting situated.

"It's very tough because I'm getting offers from schools like Miami and Missouri, Oklahoma State, and I still don't have a Texas offer," Martin said. "But I'm being patient and I know God is going to bless me with that offer.

"It's just part of the process. I'm just enjoying it right now. I'm just collecting offers, just being grateful that I have offers at a young age. I remember last year around this time, I was asking God, 'What does it take to get an offer?' And shoot, I have 13 right now."

Texas is among Martin's top schools and if/when UT offers, the Longhorns will shoot to the top of the list. (Suchomel)

One-time 2016 UT wide receiver commitment Reggie Hemphill hasn't closed the door on Texas, but the Longhorns do have ground to make up. The good news is that Hemphill is still open to hearing from UT and giving the Horns a chance to jump back into things.

"I haven't heard anything from them lately," Hemphill said. "It's kind of crazy to me. I understand taking it, but nobody has really kept in touch with me.

"I'm open regardless, but since they pulled it, I kind of have a new group of top schools. It's Texas A&M, Oregon, OU, Baylor too."

Hemphill hasn't picked up any scholarship offers in the period of time since he and Texas decided to re-open his recruitment. Hemphill was scheduled to visit OU this week and he's supposed to visit A&M for a spring practice.

If Texas invites Hemphill, who measured 6-1 ½ and 174 pounds, to a camp, he said he'll likely attend.

"I'm going to slow it down this time. At first, what happened, I committed so I wouldn't have to worry about recruiting anymore," Hemphill said. "Now that it's opened up, I'm just going to take it slow."

Of note … keep an eye on Manvel 2015 wide receiver Gary Haynes in the future. He earned WR MVP honors at the RCS Houston Camp likely landed on some college radars after that showing. (Suchomel)

A comment Texas fans will appreciate from a top prospect who recently communicated with UT head coach Charlie Strong …

"He was just checking up on me, seeing how it's going. He's a guy who makes himself available. He's a busy guy but he takes time. That speaks volumes about him, a guy of that caliber making himself available to you. It's a big deal, a really big deal.

"And it wasn't just a 30 second conversation either, more like 30 minutes.

"When I talked to Mack (Brown) once, he said 'I lost grip of the program about five years ago.' With coach Strong, he said he's revamping the program and changing the culture. He's on it, man." (Suchomel)

When a player blows up a Rivals Camp like Manvel 2015 athlete Gary Haynes did usually that player becomes a well-known name in the recruiting world. So, it's probably just a matter of time before Haynes' offer list of one (Houston) turns into a lot more.

Why is Haynes flying under the radar? He explained.

"It was because we were beating everyone so bad we (the starters) usually got pulled by like the second quarter," responded the 5-9 athlete. "My sophomore year I started at corner, and then my junior year I went to slot. I was more successful at slot so that's why I worked out there at the Rivals camp."

Haynes wanted to make his way around the state to various Junior Days, but he didn't know when and where.

"I didn't know when they were so I missed them," he said.

The Houston-area product indicated he's planning on attending a lot of camps this summer to get noticed, and the Texas camp will be one of those. In fact, he's tried to reach out to Texas recently.

"Yeah, I tried to call Texas today," he said. "Reggie (Hemphill) gave me one of their numbers. They said coaches were on spring break. Texas is the school I want to hear from the most. Texas, Baylor, Texas Tech. It (Texas) was my childhood team and I just like the way Charlie Strong has order over there now."

Don't expect Haynes to fly under the radar for long. In his film, the speedster makes defenders fall with juke moves and shows excellent ability in the open space. And if the Longhorns come calling, Haynes will definitely be interested. (McComas)

The Longhorns are looking to add at tight end in this class, and the Lone Star State is home to one of the best in the nation. So, it's not a surprise that Clear Lake (Houston) TE Jordan Davis is hearing from the Longhorns.

"Yeah, I talked to coaches from LSU, Auburn, Texas Tech, Texas," Davis said. "I've just been to Texas A&M (his only visit) and watched them practice. A lot of coaches want me to come see a practice and said I'd be a great fit in their offense."

Texas is pushing to get the No. 133 prospect in the Rivals250 on campus.

"I've only talked to (Bruce) Chambers and (Charlie) Strong," stated Davis. "I talked to those to those two last Friday the last day before spring break. They were just saying the same thing as other schools… want me to come in and get to know them and everything is different at Texas. They want me to come up some time soon to watch them practice."

Would Davis make a visit?

"I haven't really talked to my parents too much about it yet but me and Coach Chambers have stayed in contact," the four-star said. "First I would talk to my coaches at A&M to make sure they're alright with it. I wouldn't do anything without them knowing. If they're fine with it, I might. Just would talk to the coaches (at Texas) and see what plans they have and what's different."

Of the schools still in heavy contact with Davis, Texas has been on him just as hard as anyone.

"Oh, yeah. Yes sir," he responded when asked if Texas is recruiting him as hard as anyone else. "They're in need of a tight end and they're really going after to me because I'm the No. 1 tight end in the state."

Davis is one to keep an eye on. He's solid to A&M and isn't planning on any visits anywhere, or any camps, but Texas is working to get him on campus. (McComas)

If you missed it, Daylon Mack gave an interesting response to a possibility to visiting Texas. The Gladewater DT and Texas A&M commitment is expecting to hear from Strong soon.

"Yeah, it's still pretty intense. Auburn is making a big push. I talk to Ole Miss all the time and Ohio State," Mack said about recruiting. "But I'm solid to A&M. I don't think I'm not going to take any more visits. Coach (Joe) Wickline came by my school I think sometime last month and then him and Coach Strong came by but I wasn't there. I had a doctor's appointment. Coach Strong followed me on Twitter last week, and I followed him back, so I think he may message me in the near future. I'd listen. I'm not going to be rude to him, and Texas was my childhood favorite team. I'll listen. I may take a visit. I'm not too sure. I'd have to take to Coach (Kevin) Sumlin about that. He wasn't so happy about the Auburn visit, so I'm not sure. I told him [that I was going to visit Auburn]. He wasn't happy with it, me being the leader of the class. That does kind of look bad, so I know where he's coming from. But I think I owe myself that opportunity to get out there and visit [places]."

Mack is honest about his approach to visits and the process. He's a kid that views this as a one-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

"Yeah, it really is a once in a lifetime opportunity," responded the state's top defensive tackle about visiting colleges. "I told him (Sumlin) and I think he understood. He's just doing his job. He understood and I understood." (McComas)

Another out of state prospect to follow is Lawrence Central (Indianapolis, Indiana) inside linebacker Darrin Kirkland Jr. I exchanged a couple of texts with Kirkland, who indicated Texas has been in contact.

"I have been talking with Coach Strong and Coach (Vance) Bedford recently," the No. 183 prospect in the Rivals250 said. "They have mentioned [an offer] but haven't confirmed one yet."

Kirkland has a ton of offers already. We'll work on getting more out of him, but he sounds like yet another out of state prospect Texas is trying to get on campus and make a move on. (McComas)

If you missed it, Willie Hibbler. The 6-6 athlete told me he believes an offer from Texas would come if he visited in the summer, and he's planning on making the visit. A few more tidbits about him:

a) Strong, when he was at Louisville, was one of Hibbler's first offers.

b) "I'm committed to Ole Miss but my options are still open. I'm strongly considering every school is offering me and considering me. I don't know what schools I'm going to visit yet but I'm just focusing on trying to get my team to state."

c) The North Panola (Sandis, Mississippi) athlete mentioned that Texas, like most schools, isn't recruiting him at a specific position.

"He didn't really say what position. They'd put me in a position to make plays and win games. I think I'd stay at receiver. I've been working a lot on my speed. I think I can get a lot faster and I'm getting bigger."

d) Hibbler's stock is taking off.

"Auburn offered me the other week. Now I'm starting to talk to Alabama, Michigan, and UCLA. I'm starting to talk to a lot of coaches to USC. They're communicating with me right now and trying to get to know me better." (McComas)

Bowie (Arlington) 6-5 offensive tackle Madison Akamnonu has been in contact recently, and is planning to come to a Texas practice around March 22nd. Hat tip to Matt Clare of RedRaiderSports.com for the heads up.

Big 12 baseball play will begin tomorrow, and it's clear when talking to Augie Garrido that he really likes where his baseball team is right now. Sure, the Longhorns need to get better offensively, and could improve a lot between now and the end of the season. However, the mental makeup of the team, which is what Texas spent all offseason focused on, has shown in the win/loss record. The Longhorns are 14-4, No. 2 in RPI, No. 2 in ISR, and have played the No. 6 toughest schedule. They're also 8-1 in games decided by two runs or less after being 12-15 in those contests a year ago.

"Seldom would I be able to say yes, but the answer is yes," responded Garrido when asked if he likes where his team is right now heading into conference play. "We are where we want to be. We're mentally tougher. We're committed to the team. We're committed to each other and we have the right attitude. We gave it away on that Saturday when we got behind by six runs (against Hawai'i), but the very next day ? and this is probably the best thing that's happened all year besides John Curtiss getting well - we came back with the right attitude. They've learned to learn. They trust being able to make adjustments and to recognize what they need to do when they're told what they need to change. They're learning, and that's awesome."

Of course, all of the early season success could be erased by another miserable Big 12 campaign, but that just doesn't seem likely. This group has shown the ability to make big plays in big situations, and the hitting can only get better. (McComas)

A couple of other UT baseball notes:

Hearing that freshman infielder Bret Boswell, who battled a wrist issue in the preseason, is getting closer to being able to return. Also, a scout mentioned to me that he heard senior right-hander Ty Marlow won't be on the mound any time soon, and maybe for a long time. Marlow's velocity was down in his outing last weekend, and Skip Johnson made a visit to the mound to look at Marlow's elbow before the righty somehow finished the inning. (McComas)
This post was edited on 3/13 8:10 PM by Ketchum

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News