ADVERTISEMENT

Inside the War Room (March 18)

Suchomel

Staff
Aug 10, 2001
One day we're in Houston and the next we're in Dallas to get a look at another 200 plus prospects at the Under Armour Rivals Camp at Cedar Hill High School. The group of players consisted of several Texas commitments, targets, possibly future targets, and more. Here are some thoughts:

1) You'll hardly ever find an offensive lineman that wins every 1-on-1 rep because it's easier for defensive linemen to win those drills, and Demetrius Knox didn't win every rep. However, the Texas commitment was extremely impressive, and was impressive enough to take home the Offensive Line MVP Award for the camp.

The highlight of the day was when a confident defensive tackle went up against Knox, and in the first rep, Knox stood him up and eventually drove him into the grass very hard. It wasn't malicious. It was competition. But the defensive tackle ? sorry, I didn't write down his name ? wanted another shot at Knox. When Knox punched in his setup and took him to the ground in the first rep, I think he caught him pretty good in the mouth. I think the tackle realized it as he was calling for another rep because it looked like he was fighting back some tears. The offensive lineman is given the snap count before the play and the defensive player can't see it. So, the defensive player moves when the offensive player does, or he's offsides. The count was two, and the tackle jumped on one, hitting Knox, who hadn't moved from his stance, knocking him to the grass. Bad move.

When they reset, Knox stood up the player for a good three seconds with great arm extension, and eventually drove him into the grass again. I almost felt bad for the kid, but he called the Texas commitment out.

Longview's Zaycoven Henderson had a very, very strong day during 1-on-1s and the defensive tackle won a rep against Knox after a tie in the first rep and Knox winning the second. And one other player beat Knox, but Knox was definitely the most impressive offensive lineman at the event. When he sits and gets his arms extended with that punch it's tough to move him because of his strength. Plus, Knox was moving well and looked a little leaner too.

Henderson was one of the best defensive linemen at the event, showing strong technique, a good burst, strength, and explosion out of his stance. Plus, he looked the part too with a strong base and good body. There's a lot to like there.

As for Knox's high school teammate and fellow UT commitment Daniel Gresham, he had a solid day. It's tough for running backs to really stand out in these things, but a little lighter Gresham moved around pretty well and ran a couple of nice routes in 1-on-1s, which resulted in catches down the field.

2) If Lorenzo Joe had any rust going to receiver after playing quarterback for Abilene Cooper last season, it sure as heck wasn't at the camp with him today. Joe, a Longhorn commitment, was very fluid in and out of cuts in his routes, caught the ball well, and showed off some impressive speed for his size. It was my first look up close of Joe as a receiver, and he certainly performed well. There is no doubt that he was one of the best receivers at the event.

K.D. Cannon wasn't quite the dominant Cannon I'm used to seeing, but he was still very good. Jamal Adams got the best of him a couple of times in 1-on-1s with good jams at the line of scrimmage, but when Cannon got some space to work down the field, he was tough to handle.

As for Adams, he's extremely comfortable in press coverage as a defensive back. You can tell it's something the defensive back takes pride in and works on. He was a little inconsistent in coverage when he had to start off the ball, and reading routes in that situation is something he'll have to work on. But he was definitely one of the more impressive defensive backs there today.

3) Mesquite Poteet linebacker Malik Jefferson was the most impressive linebacker at the event. He's big. He moves well. He can cover. He's muscular. He's what you want a linebacker to look like. I asked him after the event how he thought he did, and he said okay but he would have liked to hit someone.

I thought Texas commitment Cameron Hampton had a pretty average day. He hasn't really added weight since I've seen him, but he moved well. Heck, every time I looked up, he was getting a rep. Everyone wanted to compete against him, and Hampton wanted to jump in as much as he could. At times, quicker running backs gave him a problem in coverage, but you could probably make that statement for pretty much all the linebackers there.

2015 Dallas Skyline linebacker/defensive end Andew Wheeler was the most physically impressive player at the event. He worked out at linebacker, and did pretty well. But he might grow into a weakside defensive end. Wheeler is a definite high follow player.

Hooks' 2015 linebacker R.J. Williams is one big dude that is a MLB all the way, but he didn't lumber around and moved fairly well for his size. Another guy that has to be followed.

4) It's tough for quarterbacks to stand out at these events, but Jerrod Heard was the best one there. Everything about his throwing motion improved; the feet, the release, and fluidity, the balance … it was all better. At times when I have seen Heard, he doesn't spin a spiral on a consistent basis, but that was not the case today.

What was interesting about Heard is that everyone gravitates to the guy. You can tell his peers respect him tremendously and like him. Everyone seems to know him and wants to be around him. I asked Sekou Clark (2014 Denton Ryan DE) if he had heard from Texas and any new schools recently, and he said, "No, but if I start hanging around this guy (grabbed Heard) more maybe I will."

Celina's Nathan Elliot (2015) is on the shorter side right now, but he's polished for his age, throws well on the run, is accurate in the intermediate game, and has pretty good arm strength. Plus, he showed some leadership qualities.

Another 2015 QB, West Mesquite's Chason Virgil, caught my eye as well. He's go the appearance of a dual-threat guy that is still raw, but there is some potential there.

TCU got a really good one in Decatur QB Grayson Muehlstein. Big arm, strong mechanics, can spin it, and appears to be natural at the position. Whoever jumped on him and identified him early needs a big pat on the back.

5) Holy cow … 2015 receiver DeMarkus Lodge blew up. The Cedar Hill product ? Cedar Hill coaches are already saying he should be one of the best they've ever had and the best receiver they've had ? took home the Offensive Skill MVP honor and I didn't see anyone stop him today. At about 6-2, Lodge glides in and out of routes with deceptive speed and shows good balance and agility in his routes. Plus, he has good ball skills and runs crisp routes. Sometimes, you can jam younger, taller receivers at the line, but Lodge fought through jams pretty well.

After the camp, Lodge told me he's heard from no schools yet. That's about to change.

6) Daylon Mack of Gladewater … oh boy. He's a big, quiet, assassin. He might have bull-rushed a little too much at times in his reps ? you're not supposed to ? but when he exploded out of his stance with a great first step and a powerful punch, he couldn't help but notice he was knocking offensive linemen a couple yards back, and proceeded to drive them into the dummy set up as the quarterback behind the play before the offensive lineman could even try to mount some sort of attack. 2015 prospects aren't supposed to have that combination of strength, quickness, and size.

He'd walk up to the line with just a slight little grin, not say a word, and at the snap as soon as he made contact with an offensive linemen, you knew it was over.

7) A couple of South Oak Cliff kids (2014 defensive end Silvester Hayes and 2015 defensive tackle Jalen Goss) really caught my eye. Hayes, who visited Texas for its second junior day, is very lean and isn't heavy enough to be graded as a defensive end right now, but that's where he lined up and his first step was unfair. During one rep, it was like Hayes was moving so fast with his feet that he was doing agility drills like a basketball player dribbling a ball in order to shake the lineman. To me, he looks like a 3-4 outside linebacker all the way. His quickness and speed was outstanding. Now, if you get your hands on him you can push him around, but that isn't easy.

Goss is big, strong, and a quick defensive tackle. He's got the makings of a definite top 100 player in the state.

8) 2015 Sherman offensive lineman Aaron Garza was a little up-and-down dominating one rep and then being inconsistent in others. He's listed at 6-4 but he looked closer to 6-2 to me.

2015 DeSoto defensive end Bryce English had a strong day. He's a player that is a high follow in the 2015 class with some potential.

Another 2015 prospect that had the appearance of a guy that's going to be very, very good is Sulphur Springs safety Larry Pryor. Pryor was a shade taller than Jamal Adams, had a frame that is just now starting to fill out and showed very strong coverage skills for a safety, which included jumping a comeback route to make an interception. I'm a fan. His film is excellent too.

9) Mesquite Poteet 2014 defensive back Verkedric Vaughns is probably going to be earning more offers after his performance today. He was physical, competitive, strong in coverage, and showed good ball skills.

Sekou Clark had a pretty solid day. He certainly looks the part. 2015 defensive end James Lockhart of Ennis is a guy that really jumped out at me on film, and he didn't disappoint today with a strong performance as a pass-rusher with some strength and speed.

10) I can see why Arkansas has already offered 2015 Pine Bluff (Pine Bluff, Arkansas) tight end Will Gragg. He's not ripped, and is a big boy, but he has deceptive speed, runs very good routes, and showed excellent ball skills. Of all the tight ends, he stood out to me the most and knew how to use his big body in routes.

Overall, there were a ton of talented players at the event. I felt like all the Texas commitments did not disappoint. (McComas)

It's been a long weekend full of travels, so let's dive right into some of the comments from the Rivals.com Camp Series events in Houston and Dallas/Fort Worth.

--- UT offensive line commitment Demetrius Knox

On his upcoming visit to the Ohio State campus:

"I'm just going to go up to Columbus because I'm visiting my dad up there. I grew up in Ohio. I have a chance to see the university. I've never even seen Ohio State and I lived there forever. I get a chance to see the university and everything about it, the inside look. What better way than with my dad? I haven't seen him in years."

On dealing with constant speculation on where he'll wind up:

"It's really tiring. I told the Ohio State coaches that I wasn't committing to Ohio State. After that, the Ohio State fan base was still cool with me. I say I'm going up to visit my dad, who I haven't seen in years, and Texas fans are all over me saying I'm decommitting or I hate Texas.

"If I wanted to, I could drop everything right now and go to Ohio State but I picked Texas for a reason. It's a great football program, great academics and the whole connection thing after college - if the NFL doesn't work out, then I have a degree from UT and I'm living in Texas so that's beautiful."

On if he's talked to Mack Brown about the Ohio State visit:

"We've talked about it before. We have a good understanding about it."

Knox is planning to come to the UT spring game later this month with teammate Daniel Gresham and Fort Worth All Saints head coach Aaron Beck.

So does Texas have anything to worry about?

"Nothing at all."

--- UT running back commitment Daniel Gresham

On his decision to commit early to Texas:

"Coach Applewhite was a huge part of me committing so early. He's a great guy, and so is coach Brown, and how legendary the University of Texas is."

On the recent interest from schools like Alabama and Florida State:

"I'm not going to lie. Anybody would know it's not true if I said it wasn't difficult at all to stay focused. But I feel like I'm solid to Texas. I've talked to people who have got on my back for comments I've made. I don't have doubt, but when a huge school like that comes in, especially Alabama, anyone is going to stop and think. But I'm so happy with the University of Texas, it's great for my future. I have aspirations to make it to the NFL, if that doesn't happen you can virtually get a job anywhere in the state of Texas and that's where I want to live when I'm done."

Gresham has talked to Mack Brown about the new interest from other schools.

"He told me, 'Daniel the one thing I do not do is negatively recruit. I just want to let you know, we're recruiting you for running back too. Regardless of what fans say, they're not me, I see something special in you, I see what you can do. I knew you were going to get these offers, that's why we wanted to offer you so early. I just want you to stick with us, know that you are a running back here and that's what we want you for.'" (Suchomel)

Moving on to some others of note from the weekend ...

--- Mount Pleasant WR KD Cannon ...

Cannon's most recent visit was for an Oklahoma junior day. He said he watched them practice, but he didn't really touch on any highlights. No other visits are currently on the schedule.

Attended UT's second junior day in February and watched spring practice. Cannon said he liked what he saw and he admitted that last year's offense held Texas back in his eyes. The good news for UT in this one is that Cannon said he saw signs of change at practice.

"I'm liking their new offense. They're getting their playmakers the ball, they're passing it more, it's quick, a lot of plays, no-huddle. It's going to be a great offense to watch this year."

The Rivals100 member is not listing any favorites at the moment.

"Really, nobody is standing out. I'm trying to narrow it down sometime soon," Cannon said. "I have to talk to my parents and then narrow it down."

On Texas .. "I like how the family is involved with football. The coaches bring their families around so it's very family oriented. They have great tradition, great academics, it's a great school."

Cannon keeps in touch with UT co-offensive coordinator Darrell Wyatt and said the two have a strong relationship.

"I talk to him quite often. He's a really cool dude, a great coach, he knows what he's talking about. He's going to get you ready for the next level."

--- Lewisville Hebron DB Jamal Adams ...

Adams visited UT recently for a spring practice and said he liked the experience, including the fact that Texas didn't try to put too much pressure on him. He doesn't have a formal list of favorites, but says Texas is definitely in the mix.

"Texas is up there. That's a great opportunity for me. I've been down there a couple times. I like coach Akina. He puts them in the league and that's my goal - to get to the league."

Adams listed Texas, Texas A&M, Florida, Florida State, Ole Miss, USC and Notre Dame as schools that jump out, off the top of his head.

"I'm definitely open to anyone. I'm interested in all of them right now," he said.

I mentioned to Adams that Longhorn fans are quietly and cautiously optimistic about UT's chances.

"They do have a great chance with me, and Texas is a great program," Adams responded. "I just need to see some more things next season and build on that."

On whether or not distance will factor into his decision ...

"My parents just want the best opportunity for me. My mom, she probably does want me to stay, she'll miss me, but honestly, they just want the best opportunity for me."

--- New Orleans Edna Karr DE Gerlad Willis III ...

Willis on the highlights of his visit for UT's junior day in Feburary ...

"What stood out to me is the stadium. The first time I walked into the stadium, I saw that big ol' screen. I've never seen a screen that big. Another thing that stood out is their d-line. They like pass rushers, and I'm a pass rusher.

"Mack Brown told me I'm already their size, I just have to learn to play. If I can do that, I'll play as a freshman."

Willis lists a top four of Texas A&M, Florida, LSU and Texas. He said there's no order among those four, but the sense here is that Texas has a little ground to make up.

Willis is planning to come back to Austin for UT's spring game on March 30.

--- New Orleans Edna Karr WR Speedy Noil ...

Noil said Texas is stressing to him that the new offense will get the ball to its playmakers and he'd have a chance to play early. He lists a top four of LSU, A&M, USC and Florida.

Where do the Longhorns fit in?

"Texas is a big part of the recruiting process. They've talked to me about doing some wildcat quarterback things but I think I want to play more of a wideout and get in the end zone instead of running around like I do as a high school player."

Noil said he might return to Austin with Ellis for the spring game.

--- New Orleans Edna Karr TE Anthony Jones ...

Jones measured in at 6-6 and 231 pounds on Saturday.

Texas, LSU, Louisville and other schools in Louisiana are showing the most interest. He talks to Bruce Chambers and Larry Porter about once a week, and he's coming back up to Austin for UT's spring game.

"I just want to see how the offense works, watch the flex tight ends. I'm just hoping to have a good time," Jones said.

Jones said Texas is on top of his list right now.

"Growing up, I was a Longhorn fan. I've always wanted to be there so hopefully I'll get there," he said. "I was a big Texas fan in basketball. I always told my dad and mom, I want to attend the University of Texas when I get older. So now I'm going to make it happen."

Is there a chance Jones would jump at a UT offer at the spring game if a formal scholarship is extended?

"I'm not sure. If I go with my dad and he likes it, we might get it done," Jones said.

--- New Orleans St. Augustine DB Jermaine Roberts ...

Roberts participated in the Houston events on Saturday. He holds an offer from the Longhorns and has Texas as the team to beat. He's another that is planning to attend the Horns' spring game. Could a commit happen?

"I'm thinking I'm going to commit (to Texas) this summer. Probably at their camp," Roberts said.

--- Texas City WR Armanti Foreman ...

The OU commitment recently visited both Texas and Texas A&M. He said he enjoyed both stops.

"It was the same, really. They were both talking to me about what they wanted me to play. They both said slot receiver, move me around a lot to get me in space, match me up 1 on 1 with defenders," Foreman said. "I liked the campus on both schools. Texas A&M is doing a lot of remodeling. Texas already has great facilities. They treated us well, I had a nice time at both of them."

How do those two compare with OU? (Foreman has not visited Oklahoma yet despite his commitment)

"I'm looking at them really hard right now," he said. "They're close to home. Oklahoma is a great school. I haven't had a chance to get up there yet, but I'm going to try to get there soon. But right now, Texas and Texas A&M are looking really good to me."

Foreman said he'll likely make his first trip to Norman sometime this summer. So of Texas or Texas A&M, who is the smartest bet to give OU a run for its money as things stand right now?

"Probably Texas," Foreman said.

--- San Antonio Warren DE Trey Lealaimatafao ...

Lealaimatafao has seen his stock rise this summer, including offers from the likes of Baylor, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Oregon State. The Longhorns have been in touch of late.

"It was a couple weeks ago, about a week before we went on spring break. I talked to coach Akina," Lealaimatafao said. "He wants me to come there for a visit, maybe next week for a spring practice."

Lealaimatafao said it's about 50/50 that he'll make it up this spring. So where does Texas fit into his big picture?

"I'll have to wait to see if they offer me, then we'll see where it goes," he said. "I like their tradition, they get the best of the best, their Texas' team. That's what I like about them."

--- UT WR commitment Roderick Bernard ...

Bernard was at the Houston camp. He showed up late but still got some good reps in.

"I'm trying to get some more work in, trying to learn how to run the routes better, read the DBs," Bernard said. "I think I learned a lot in a short time. I know I can do a lot better. I'm a little rusty and just came from a track meet and I'm fixing to go back, but I thought I did pretty well."

Bernard will be coming up to Austin for the Horns' spring game. OU recently offered, but Bernard said he's still rock solid with his UT pledge.

"I'm still solid. That doesn't change anything," Bernard said.

--- 2015 Ennis DE James Lockhart was one of the more impressive underclassmen at the Dallas camp.

He has a Baylor offer and said he's hearing from just about all the Texas schools. Alabama recently started showing interest.

UT has been by the school a couple times, including a visit by Mack Brown. Lockhart said he was invited to attend a UT junior day but couldn't make it because of powerlifting. He's hoping to camp at Texas this summer.

--- Mesquite Poteet CB Varkedric Vaughns put on a strong showing on Sunday, earning Defensive Skills MVP.

Vaughns holds a Northwestern offer and is hearing from the likes of Oklahoma State, SMU and Texas Tech. If Texas started showing interest, would he have an interest?

"Definitely. I was really interested in them when (Earl) Thomas was playing for them. If they showed interest, they'd definitely be in the mix," Vaughns said. (Suchomel)

Some notes from brief conversations I had ? obviously it's extremely early in the game for these kids - with some of the top 2015 prospects that caught my eye in Dallas:

2015 Gladewater DT Daylon Mack : "A&M and Texas right now," responded Mack when asked what schools are showing him the most attention.

As for which Texas coaches he's talked to… "Stacy Searels and they brought Bo Davis to my school. He (Davis) said he wanted me to get up there and go to a camp and get around the staff. Oh yeah, I'm visiting there on the 30th. I've already gone to A&M a few times. I just want to go visit a couple schools, maybe TCU.

As for the schools standing out…

"It was the Longhorns," Mack said about a favorite growing up. "It's A&M right now. It's the only school I've been to so that's really why it's that right now."

2015 Dallas Skyline LB/DE Anthony Wheeler :

"Yeah, it is," Wheeler said about linebacker being his favorite spot. "I'm an outside guy."

"Texas, Texas A&M, Notre Dame talked to me, and Baylor," Wheeler said about the schools that contacted him. "That's about it. No offers yet."

Wheeler has been a fan of two schools in particular that he's hoping to eventually get scholarship offers from.

"Probably Texas or LSU," the 2015 prospect said. "I talked to Mack Brown and Manny Diaz. My coaches are going to give me the information on spring games."

2015 Dallas Skyline running back Jordan Stevenson :

"Not really too much. A lot of small talk," said Stevenson about schools that have talked to him. "Texas and Oregon have contacted me. I talked to coach (Bruce) Chambers and coach (Larry) Porter. They seem interested."

Stevenson, holds an offer from Utah State, has a couple of idols, and a school he keeps a close eye on.

"I'd say Oregon," as a one of his favorite schools. "LaMichael James… that's my biggest idol. Him and DeAnthony Thomas."

2015 Mesquite Poteet LB Malik Jefferson:

"Texas, Texas Tech, Ole Miss and Oklahoma are really on my top," said Jefferson about schools standing out right now. "That's all really that's on my top right now. Ole Miss and Oklahoma have offered."

Texas has been in contact with Jefferson.

"Coach Diaz," responded Jefferson about a Texas coach that's been in contact with him. "He's trying to get me up there to come visit and check things out. I don't mind going out there at any time but with track and everything going on it's hard right now."

Recently, Jefferson did make it to Texas to hang out on campus.

"I have an uncle that lives there," stated the 2015 standout. "Yeah, I called them (Texas coaches) and told them I was there. I walked around the outside of the practice fields and stuff."

Now that recruiting has begun it's time to get down to business for Jefferson who has put aside favorite schools growing up.

"It was Texas and Oregon, but you know when it gets to the real life thing, it's different," the imposing, 6-2 linebacker said. "There are no favorite schools anymore. It's real."

Oh, and Jefferson runs the 4X100 for Poteet… as a 220-pound linebacker.

2015 Cedar Hill WR DeMarkus Lodge :

The Offensive Skill MVP of the Rivals Dallas Camp hasn't heard from any schools yet. He told me no phone calls, letters, or anything. Lodge also indicated he's open to all schools and isn't partial to one at the moment, and he wants to possibly make it to a spring game or two. However, he hasn't picked out any one to go to yet.

2015 Sulphur Springs DB/WR Larry Pryor:

"I'm hearing from Texas Tech, Texas, A&M, and that's it. Just conversations (no offers)," Pryor said. "I've talked to coach Wyatt. I'm planning on going to Texas Tech's spring game on April 30th. That's about it right now. Growing up I liked Texas. That was my favorite team. But now I'm trying to hear from Texas Tech."

It's unclear at this point where schools are recruiting Pryor. He looks to have a higher ceiling as a safety to me but he does play receiver also.

Checked in with a couple of sources on 2013 stud hoops forward Julius Randle, who is announcing Wednesday afternoon at his high school at 12:00 PM on ESPNU. Basically, not much has changed.

One source felt like the Horns are still in 50-50 shape. Another felt like Kansas and Kentucky still are teams that seem to be mentioned more than Texas.

As we get closer and closer to the announcement, one team hasn't truly emerged ahead of the other out of that trio of schools, which seems to be mentioned the most.

If anything changes, we'll obviously let you know, but Randle, the No. 2 overall prospect in the Rivals150, has wanted to keep everyone guessing. He's succeeded. (McComas)

A quick follow-up to the EEOC and Workforce Commission complaint filed against Texas by Derek Howard, the attorney for former UT women's track coach Bev Kearney, alleging gender and racial discrimination.

The EEOC, the federal agency charged with enforcing discrimination laws in the U.S., is typically aggressive about these complaints and won't be afraid to subpoena whatever it deems pertinent in the athletic department and administration. Because of the size and scope of Howard's allegations, this could well take longer than 180 days. Only after the EEOC makes its determination, will Howard be able to file a case in federal court.

Here's the tricky part, it's the employer's responsibility to prove innocence. So the burden of proof is on Texas. After the EEOC's investigation, they produce a finding and decide if they will take the case on behalf of the employee.

Sometimes, the EEOC will issue a right to sue but won't take the case. That would be a setback for Kearney, because if the EEOC really thinks there's a case, it will take the case on.

If the EEOC finds a pattern of troubling behavior by Texas, the agency will fine or sue. That would be the worst-case scenario for the university. This would not only mean a fine from the EEOC but a lawsuit from Kearney as well.

The law doesn't state that all actions taken involving employees have to be equal, just that each case have consequences.

All of these other purported inappropriate relationships may be true, but if the other parties involved didn't have an issue with the relationship and if they were legal and consensual, it is not a violation of any EEOC guidelines. Surely bad press, but not illegal and or any discriminatory violations.

In the end, if Texas isn't hiding something dubious, the EEOC will keep things quiet during the investigation. But the truth generally comes out in these EEOC investigations.

If the EEOC complaint doesn't produce the results Howard is seeking, then he can hope the Texas Workforce Commission turns up enough in its investigation to file a lawsuit in state court. Either way, the process is likely to take longer than 180 days. (BROWN)

In case you missed it earlier in the week, the plans for the new, Texas player personnel department are starting to take shape.

Texas posted two positions on Thursday - for an assistant player personnel director and for a quality control coach.

The assistant player personnel director will be selected by Patrick Suddes, who will also have a say in the hiring of a new video coordinator and a new social media coordinator.

Sources say Mack Brown is also ready to hire at least two quality control coaches on each side of the ball that Major Applewhite and Manny Diaz will have a say in.

And then Brown plans to hire a couple of analyst positions with some former coaching experience (either high school or college) to help with evaluations at camps, etc.

By the end of it, the player personnel department will have 12-15 people in it. (BROWN)

Mack Brown is contemplating hiring Vince Young on a limited basis to assist with some summer camps and be a part-time member of the football office to have his presence around the program for current players and future recruits.

Mack has encouraged other members of the 2005 national title team to apply for the quality control positions being hired. Because if all things are equal between the candidates, Mack would prefer hiring a Texas guy. (BROWN)

The Big 12 office has told schools if they have open non-conference football dates beyond 2014 not to fill them because of a likely scheduling alliance with the Atlantic Coast Conference.

The plan ultimately is for each Big 12 school to hand-pick one non-conference game and play the other two of its three non-conference games against ACC schools.

The alliance would begin for some schools sooner than others. Texas, for instance currently has all its non-conference schedule booked through 2017.

Would a road and home game against the likes of Miami, Florida State, Georgia Tech or Clemson help beef up both leagues' non-conference schedules? That's the goal: to compete with the perceived dominance the SEC has in scheduling currently. (BROWN)

For those wondering if there's a look-in window for the grant of rights agreed to by Texas with the rest of the Big 12, there is not. There is a look-in window for the Tier 1 and 2 television rights after year No. 4. But there is no look-in or opt-out clause as it pertains to the grant of rights, under which each school allowed the Big 12 to hold their Tier 1 and 2 TV rights through 2025.

So don't look for any new conference options for any current Big 12 school until then. (BROWN)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News