ADVERTISEMENT

Inside the War Room (March 28th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
Let's take a look at where things are position by position after the first week of spring practices:

QUARTERBACK:
It's early. But I don't think you're going to hear much, if any, praise for this position.

And I'm all but certain you won't hear anyone anointed as the leader/starter at the position until the fall. David Ash has had good moments, but he's still very much getting used to the new intensity of practice while trying to grasp new terminology in Shawn Watson's offense.

Watson called the plays in Saturday's practice, I'm told.

According to one observer, Tyrone Swoopes has a long way to go at QB. For every pass he connects on, he apparently misses a receiver in the flat because of a lack of accuracy.

Another observer with ties to the program raised the question that if Ash or USC quarterback Max Wittek (if he chooses Texas) or even freshman Jerrod Heard, emerges as the starter, could or would Swoopes change positions? Tight end perhaps?

No one on the coaching staff has said that and the staff might think it's ludicrous. But it's an observer with a ton of football experience, so I thought I'd mention it as a "file it away theory." But absolutely no one on the coaching staff is saying that at this point.

Miles Onyegbule is also working at QB and, so far, looks rusty, like a receiver/tight end who has moved to QB.

RUNNING BACK: Malcolm Brown and Joe Bergeron both have looked really good, multiple sources said. Both look to be in incredible shape and have had some excellent moments in practice.

Charlie Strong gave a shoutout to Jalen Overstreet after four practices, even though Overstreet was seen as on the fence about buy-in initially (mostly because he allowed his frustrations over football last season to lead to academic trouble).

Sounds like Overstreet is now taking the coaches seriously about everyone having a clean slate and starting over.
Bergeron looks great, has lost some weight and produces like a War Daddy more often than not.

Bergeron apparently had extra up-downs after Saturday's practice because coaches considered him late to a meeting. Bergeron argued he wasn't.

RECEIVER:
It sounds like Kendall Sanders, Marcus Johnson and Jacorey Warrick are off to fast starts.

Charlie Strong listed Daje Johnson as an inside receiver on Tuesday and laughed while saying Daje is just as capable of the big play as he is the bonehead play. And then Strong gave Johnson praise for being strong and tough.

There is no doubt Strong is investing a lot of time and effort in Johnson, pushing him, prodding him, praising him and challenging him. Johnson gives Texas play-making speed it doesn't have anywhere else. But Strong won't waste time on Johnson if he feels like he's not getting through.

Right now, Strong and his assistants are still investors in Johnson.

Veteran receiver John Harris is seen as a player on the buy-in bubble, we're told. Openly frustrated with a lack of playing time over the past couple years, we're told he was slow to warm to the intense demands of the new coaching staff and has a long way to go to recover from that.

TIGHT END: There is a sense permeating the program that this could be a really big year for Geoff Swaim. The coaching staff really likes his toughness and buy-in, and Shawn Watson really likes having a tight end safety valve.

I also heard a positive comment about JUCO transfer TE Blake Whiteley, who, at 6-5, 242, has shown an ability to block, get open and make the catch. All novel concepts, I know.

M.J. McFarland appears to be another player that was seen as slow to accept the new coaching staff and may have a long way to go to recover. We were told both John Harris and M.J. McFarland are players who would have the spring to show they're all in or possibly be encouraged to move on.

OFFENSIVE LINE:
Joe Wickline is rifling through the pile to find players, and it's been a struggle outside of center Dom Espinosa.
OTs Desmond Harrison (leg) and Kent Perkins (knee) have missed practice time with their injuries. That has resulted in Kennedy Estelle and Camrhon Hughes getting time at tackle.

And keep an eye on early enrollee freshman OT Alex Anderson. He's not getting any praise yet, but he's a Wickline recruit. If what Wickline saw in the kid proves to be the mental and physical toughness Wickline demands, Anderson could end up playing as a rookie.

While Sed Flowers appears to have flashed a bit at left guard, right guard has been a revolving door with Taylor Doyle getting more reps than Rami Hammad because Hammad is still trying to grasp the new terminology and concepts of the offense.

Thus far, we're told, guys like Darius James and Curtis Riser haven't done anything to distinguish themselves.

Don't be surprised to see Espinosa cross-train at tackle to become an emergency OT backup while coaches try to bring along Jake Raulerson as Espinosa's backup.

Darius James come on down.

DEFENSIVE LINE:
A true strength of the team thanks to the combination of talent and work ethic in DT Malcom Brown, DE Ced Reed and DT Desmond Jackson.

Lots of positive comments, including one from Strong, about the development of DE Shiro Davis as well. The others, such as speed rushers Bryce Cottrell and Caleb Bluiett, are coming along, we're told.

The development of DT Hassan Ridgeway will be critical for depth purposes. But it's been slow. Strong said Ridgeway gets hung up on mistakes and allows them to affect the next play. Strong is trying to get him to have a shorter memory.

LINEBACKER:
Jordan Hicks is still working his way back from the Achilles injury he suffered against Ole Miss last September. Hicks is telling people he's about 80 percent right now, but he hasn't been cleared to return to football at this point.
Steve Edmond, Dalton Santos and Peter Jinkens have had moments. But no one has really distinguished themselves at this point from we're told.

Strong praised the progress of LB Deoundrei Davis, whom we're told is another player Strong has spent time with to get him to see the light. Maybe that light is coming on.

There are some questions surrounding Kendall Thompson and if his future is in doubt. We haven't been able to confirm if Thompson is still on the team. He is still on the roster, but he hasn't been practicing from what we're told.

DEFENSIVE BACKS:
The position battles in this group are a free-for-all, and Vance Bedford, the DC and DBs coach, loves it.
It's early, but we had heard Bryson Echols was flashing in practice and then Strong confirmed it with some praise for Echols this week. Good instincts and football speed with a willingness to get physical.

Otherwise, there hasn't been much praise given out. That doesn't mean there isn't talent or plays being made. There's just been a ton of competition going on. And the more competition you have, if you're Vance Bedford, the less you have to say. You just keep em hungry and guessing.

At CB, you've got Duke Thomas, Antwuan Davis, Sheroid Evans, Chevoski Collins and Quandre Diggs. But could Diggs be working out at safety soon with LeRoy Scott kicked off the team and Adrian Phillips gone?

Currently at safety, you've got Mykkele Thompson, Josh Turner, Adrian Colbert battling it out for the two-deep, it appears. Kevin Vaccaro and Erik Huhn are trying to move up, we hear.

Would you move Quandre Diggs to safety?

(Chip Brown)

Rockwall RB Chris Warren is one of UT's top targets for 2015 and Texas made a strong impression during Warren's visit on Saturday.

Warren's mother, K'Tara Lopez, said Warren spoke very highly of the visit (she was not with him until later in the day) and Warren insisted that she stop in to the field house to meet the coaches before he left. Lopez wound up spending two hours talking to Charlie Strong, Tommie Robinson and Chris Rumph.

Lopez said the coaches made quite an impression on her and her son.

"(Strong) definitely does have a personal touch. I expected us to sit down with the recruiter and the running backs coach, but coach Strong took us in to talked 1-on-1 with him. Then he brought in the strength coach, a couple other coaches, talked about what he's looking forward to on the team, looking forward to in practices," Lopez said. "It was really a good sit down with UT. Coach Strong's daughter tore her ACL and she's returning to sports nine months after she told hers. He gave Christopher some advice as parent, not as a recruit. He said before you step on that field, make sure you're 100 percent. You could tell for my son, he's antsy to get back out there. It was nice for coach Strong to go over that with him, tell him it may be hard because you're dedicated to your sport but you can't rush it. It was nice that he covered that from a parent's perspective."

Lopez said she wants to come back when she has more time to get a better look, and one area she'll be thoroughly evaluating at all the schools they visit will be each program's academic support system.

The UT coaches emphasized that they stress academics and take it seriously, and Lopez said she likes that it starts at the top.

"One thing I believe about the head coach, he sets the priorities. If it's important to the head coach, it better be important to everyone else," Lopez said.

Lopez told a story of Texas having six kids currently on the team who didn't live up to UT's academic standards last semester. Those players are now in tutoring in the morning and afternoon. Someone asked coach Strong why the extra work. "The why is not for me, I'm not the one who flunked the classes," Strong replied.

Another story that was relayed to her ... a female student was hurriedly walking to class. A group of male students were walking in front of her and slowing her down with their slower pace. "Some guy came driving by and told them to speed up their walk and get to class a little quicker. Everyone was like, 'Oh man, that's coach Strong.'"

"He's not just talking about it. He's out there doing it, driving around, checking on his players," Lopez said.

My guess is that those players and the young lady all made it to class on time. (Suchomel)

We exchanged some texts with Mesquite Poteet linebacker Malik Jefferson about his UT visit on Saturday.

The highlight of the visit ...

"Just meeting the staff and getting to know how these guys are. And the intensity (at practice) was through the roof."

His thoughts on the coaches ...

"Just don't be on their bad side. I was really impressed."

His thoughts on the practice ...

"I loved the way they got after each other!"

On if he'll be making a return visit to UT ...

"Yes, for the first football game of the season." (Suchomel)

Texas extended a scholarship offer to Rivals100 LB Jeffery Holland this week, and it sounds like the Horns have a fighting chance for the Jacksonville (FL) Trinity Christian product.

Holland actually reached out to Texas via twitter and set up the call, and he spoke with Texas LB coach Brian Jean-Mary this week.

"I've really been wanting that offer. I used to like Texas when I was young. I liked them and wanted that offer and I'm definitely considering them," Holland said.

"I just like their winning tradition. I like a couple of their players like Jordan Hicks, he's a pretty good player. Me and him play kind of alike. I just like their tradition."

Holland said he'll likely take an official visit to Texas in the fall. The 6-1, 223-pounder has too many offers to list, but he said Texas is pretty high on his list.

"They're looking really good. I like Texas a lot. I just have to get a good relationship with the coaches. I had a good relationship with coach Strong at Louisville. We just need to carry that over," Holland said.

Jean-Mary asked Holland to call him once a week to check in. I asked Holland how hard it would be to get him out of the state of Florida (there's some thought that the Florida Gators could be the team to beat).

"It wouldn't be hard at all. I might want to get out of state. I don't know right now what I'll do," Holland said. (Suchomel)

The Texas Relays began on Wednesday and will go through Saturday. A number of UT targets will be in town to compete (we'll have coverage beginning tomorrow) and a handful of guys are planning to swing by the football offices to meet the coaches.

Cy Ridge wide receiver Kemah Siverand is planning to make a stop by Moncrief-Neuhaus but said if he can't make it for some reason, his coach is bringing him to Austin on Tuesday for a visit.

North Shore RB Tristian Houston was hoping to stop by on Thursday to meet with the Texas coaches but wasn't able to make it. He did talk to UT assistant Tommie Robinson and said he'll try to make it on either Friday or Saturday.

One Texas Relays note ... West Orange-Stark was scheduled to compete but Rivals100 safety Johnny Shaw off as possible visitors.

A few other notables who will be competing ...

Aledo WR Ryan Newsome
Kennedale RB Juwan Washington
Houston Lamar DBs Holton Hill and John Bonney
Denton Guyer QB Jerrod Heard
Houston Eisenhower RB Duke Catalon
Manvel WR Reggie Hemphill and DB Deontay Anderson (2016)
McKinney North RB Ronald Jones II
Texas City RB D'Onta Foreman and WR Armanti Foreman
Southlake Carroll QB Ryan Agnew
Nacogdoches DB Brandon Jones (2016)
Beaumont Central RB Devwah Whaley (2016)
Houston Episcopal RB Tyreik Gray

The Texas Relays will bring a ton of people to the Austin area this weekend, and fortunately for the Longhorns, some of those will be recruits. One of those recruits is Pine Bluff (Arkansas) tight end Will Gragg.

Gragg arrived in Austin today with some family members to watch a cousin compete in the relays. He recently took a visit to Ole Miss earlier this week.

"I'm going to be there for three days," Gragg said about the visit to Texas. "I'm observing everything. Just the way the coaches communicate with the players, facilities, check out the school. My options are wide open right now."

Already, the four-star, pass-catching tight end has a ton of offers, but there are a few schools that are recruiting him with more intensity than others.

"Probably five or six schools - Arkansas, LSU, Ole Miss, Texas, Florida State," responded Gragg about what schools are recruiting him the hardest. "Texas A&M too but not as frequent as other schools."

Texas has been in constant contact with Gragg, and the coach that has been in contact with him the most is head coach Charlie Strong.

"I talk to them (Texas) probably twice a week, maybe three times. Coach Strong is my lead recruiter," said Gragg. "I followed Coach Strong at Louisville. I talk to him quite a bit. He's a great person. Even my parents know about him since he's from Arkansas. He's a person you can talk to any time."

In the past, the Longhorns didn't really utilize the tight end much in the offense since the days of David Thomas and to a lesser extent, Jermichael Finley. However, the new coaching staff has made it clear to tight end targets that they will play an important role in the Texas offense.

"How they'd use me as a tight end," said Gragg about what the Texas staff talks to him about mostly. "Normally Texas doesn't use a tight end, but it's going to be a big part of the offense."

When asked if that caught his attention, Gragg responded:

"Oh yeah." (McComas)

DeSoto 2016 QB Tristen Wallace attended UT's practice on Saturday. It's still early for Wallace and he's keeping things open, but the Longhorns are in a good spot for the 6-2, 228-pouner.

"Texas is always right there. I'm not really throwing anybody out of the process. It's still early. Everybody is right there, but I do really like Texas," Wallace said. "It's close to home. It's Texas first of all, just the legacy they have, like Vince Young and the people who left their legacy here." (Suchomel)

Gavin Graham, a 2015 DB out of Austin Anderson, attended UT's junior day and was invited back for last Saturday's practice.

"I like the tempo. It was really upbeat, the physicality of it," Graham said of the workout. "In past year, Texas has kind of been down with their physical play so it was nice to see them out there hitting and the tempo to go with it.

"There's a lot of one-on-one drills, three-on-three, everyone was hyped up."

Graham goes 6-1 and 185 pounds. His father, William Graham, played at UT from 1978-81 before spending six years with the Detroit Lions.

"If I was to get offered, I would definitely come here," Graham said following Saturday's visit.

Some comments from UT commitment Charles Omenihu after his visit for Saturday's practice ...

"Practice was really physical. I liked what I saw, I liked how the coaches interacted with the players. Everything that I saw is what I expected. High-energy practice, fiery, something I'd like to be a part of.

"The coaches really get into it and get the guys going. The guys really want to do well for the coaches and they put everything into it 100 percent."

Omenihu listed Cedric Reed, Bryce Cottrell, Caleb Bluitt and Malcom Brown as players that stood out to him from Saturday's practice. The 6-4 Omenihu is weighing in at 216 pounds.

"I talked to Cedric Reed about his weight process and I'm right on track, so I'm not too worried about that," Omenihu said. (Suchomel)

Recent UT commitment DeShon Elliott was another top layer who was in town on Saturday, and he too came away impressed.

Elliott on what stood out from the practice ...

"The physicality they had today. It's different from what Texas usually has. And the way coach Bedford just coaches the boys. And coach Strong, he sets a pretty good example for a head coach. That's what I like about it.

"He knows when to get on the boys and when not to be on them. He just tries to pull everyone up. The intensity was high. The 7-on-7 drills and the 1-on-1s, that was big. Mack, the more years he was here, he stopped caring about the physicality and they just wanted more speed on the field. What they want now, they want speed, athletes and physicality - I feel like that's what's going to help us win a national championship."

Elliott said he has shut down the recruiting process now that he's committed to Texas, and he's excited about his future as a Longhorn.

" I'm really happy. I'm pretty sure, by the time I'm up there, we'll have one of the best defenses in the country," he said.

Elliott and Omenihu were doing some recruiting of their own during Saturday's visit.

"Even before I committed, he and I were already trying to recruit guys to come to Texas," Elliott said. "We've been working on Malik, Chris Warren, all those boys. Malik's a smart kid, he still wants to wait it out but I'm sure Texas is up there for him." (Suchomel)

Arlington Bowie OT Madison Akamnonu was invited in last weekend and took in Saturday's full-pad workout.

Akamnonu has offers from Texas Tech, Colorado State, Kansas State and Texas State. Along with Texas, he's also talking to Oklahoma State and Arizona State.

"Texas said they're going to keep recruiting me hard," Akamnonu said. "There's not an offer on the table yet, but in the next few weeks, there might be.

"I like the fact that I know somebody that's going to go here, Edwin Freeman. That's another reason if they were to offer me, they'd be high on my radar." (Suchomel)

This post was edited on 3/28 11:51 AM by Suchomel

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News