ADVERTISEMENT

Inside the War Room (May 25th)

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
Brought to you by ...

1211564.gif

The arrests of Kenny Vaccaro, Alex Okafor and Barrett Matthews - no matter how flimsy the evidence - came at a bad time.

The offseason is when the chemistry and leadership of the team is formed. And even though the upperclassmen have dismissed their antics on May 7 as boys being boys, the players got stern lecture from Mack Brown and his staff.

That come-to-Jesus moment is a big reason the three have been laying low this offseason.

Mason Walters' name continues to come up as a vocal leader. But overall leadership is a real concern, especially with the underclassmen arriving next week.

The offensive line has shown the most gains in the weight room during off-season workouts that concluded a week ago and will resume after next week.

After C Dominic Espinosa was unable to work out last off-season while recovering from shoulder surgery, he has put on 15 pounds of muscle. There are similar results for Trey Hopkins and Josh Cochran.

"The work with Bennie Wylie is really paying off on the offensive line," one team source said. "These guys look like different guys from last year." (BROWN)

Everyone wants a quarterback update after the first wave of off-season workouts, and we're here to serve.

David Ash has only grown in confidence and has been in total control of off-season workouts. That's an important step for him.

There was some concern about if he'd spit the bit as an off-season leader. But he's embraced it.

"David is still in the lead at quarterback," one team source said. " But the most encouraging thing is the way he's led." (BROWN)

Everything is still on pace for Dule P Alex King to enroll as a grad transfer this summer and vie for the starting job at Texas this fall.

King put up good numbers at Duke and will make sure William Russ stays hungry. Competition is king. ( BROWN)

Lots of recruiting notes to get to this week, so let’s dive right in …

In case you missed it, we talked to DE here).

The good news for the Longhorns is that Prevot is looking to make his way to Austin for a camp on June 10. The bad news is that Prevot said Texas is “kind of falling back.”

The speed-rushing DE said he hadn’t talked to the Texas coaches in a couple weeks and as of Wednesday night, he said he hadn’t even notified them that he was planning to attend the camp. Prevot was hoping to talk to Texas in the near future.

“I think for the most part, everybody has been busy. I’ll probably try to call them to see how everything is going,” Prevot said.

As he’s said all along, Prevot is planning to take his time with the process and he doesn’t intend on making a decision until he’s taken all five of his official visits. This one’s been up and down over the past couple months, and the guess here is that the trend continues. If Prevot does make it up to UT’s camp, that should help close the gap between the Horns and any other schools that may have gained the upper hand of late. (Suchomel)

Sugar Land Dulles CB Maurice Smith is sticking to his guns that he won’t make an early decision. He’s still planning to take all five of his official visits before making a decision.

A camp stop at Alabama is a possibility and Smith said he’d like to make it to one of UT’s one-day camps. As of this week, he hasn’t locked in any plans.

Should he visit Alabama, it will be his second stop in Tuscaloosa, and Smith said there’s a lot to like with the Bama program.

“”It’s the coaching staff and how they run things. They have the same values my parents have,” he said. “The academics are on point and everything is just right.

As for Texas …

“They did take a long time to offer, so I’m not just going to take the commit. I’m going to take my time and maybe they’ll be my decision in the long run,” Smith said. “That’s my dream school. It’s a good coaching staff and they like to compete with the intensity in the practices that I’ve seen. And I have a couple friends that go there now so I get some good reports from them (he mentioned Sheroid Evans specifically).

Smith said he tries to talk to the UT coaches ? Oscar Giles and Duane Akina ? weekly.

“It’s a strong relationship. We don’t just talk about me coming in as a player. We talk about our families, how we’re doing and everyday life” he said.

Texas has been telling DB prospects all along that the Longhorns would take two DBs in the 2013 class. Recently, Smith has been told three is a possibility. He does continue to talk to current UT commit Antwuan Davis, but he’s not caving into any pressure.

“I talk to Antwuan quite a bit. He bugs me a lot ? Longhorn nation, things like that,” Smith said with a smile. “I’m like, ‘Leave me alone man, I’ll make my own decision.’” (Suchomel)

A bit more from Pierce C.C. tight end Beau Sandland, who Texas visited this week.

Sandland said he’d like to visit Texas, but he’s saving his trips for schools that have offered. However, he did say that he’s familiar with UT’s practices of only extending formal offers in person. Sandland said if the Texas coaches told him he’d get an offer from Mack Brown on a future visit, he’d likely make his way to Austin at some point.

“That would be fine with me. I can appreciate the way they want to do it. Some schools are more thorough, take their time,” Sandland said. “It makes sense. It’s a huge investment for them, and for me.”

After Bruce Chambers visited Sandland this week, the playmaking tight end had a lengthy phone conversation with UT co-offensive coordinator Bryan Harsin.

“We talked for almost an hour. He told me about his background at Boise, how he really likes the tight end. He used to coach tight ends before he became offensive coordinator,” Sandland said. “He wants to carry that on at Texas. Texas used their tight ends before he came, but with him coming there, it adds even more of an appeal. He said he’d line me up in the slot, in the backfield, in a traditional tight end spot, out wide. That makes you that much more appealing to NFL scouts and that’s my ultimate goal so it’s a big factor. When you run that offense, you get to show a little of everything.”

Sandland said he and the UT coaches plan to stay in contact. He was told that the Texas staff, after the coaches are back from their spring recruiting travels, will sit down and have a meeting and watch his film. He’s planning to talk to Texas again after that to get a better feel of where he fits in with UT’s plans. (Suchomel)

Manvel DB Tavares Garner remains committed to Texas Tech, but he is still weighing other options. Oklahoma State, Baylor and Texas A&M were by his spring practice on Wednesday.

“Really, I think every school in the country has come by,” Garner said.

The 6-0, 170-pounder is up to 17 offers. He’s told the Texas Tech coaches that he is committed, but he’s still open to other offers.

Major Applewhite stopped by this spring and invited Garner to a UT camp. Garner said he’d like to make it to Austin but he doesn’t know if his schedule will allow the visit. Applewhite told Garner that Texas may offer one more DB and Texas is very high on him. If Texas was to offer, it sounds like Garner would give it serious consideration but he wants to continue to weigh his options.

“I take it seriously even though they haven’t offered me,” Garner said. “It’s just a great opportunity to be recruited by Texas.” (Suchomel)

Katy Seven Lakes OL Caleb Benenoch was hoping Texas would attend his spring game on Tuesday so he could make an impression, but UT wasn’t in attendance.

Benenoch remains committed to Michigan State, but he really likes Texas. At this point, he said, he’ll wait to see if UT reaches out to him at any point. If the staff does make contact, Benenoch will have a strong interest.

“Even though I’m committed, I’m still a big Longhorn fan,” he said. “I think I'll always be a big Longhorn fan. UT is the reason I started watching college football. VY in the rose bowl, Colt McCoy, Sam Acho, Brian Orakpo.”

Benenoch is originally from Nigeria, and he’s well aware of UT’s success with players have Nigerian bloodlines.

“That's something I follow pretty closely,” Benenoch said. “The Acho brothers, Brian Orakpo ? that’s one of the things that drew me to Texas. When I first got here, I saw a lot of Nigerian players, and that drew me into them.” (Suchomel)

The odds are that things won’t develop with Texas, but keep an eye on Manvel WR Kyrion Parker, who has turned in a terrific spring.

Texas invited Parker to a summer camp, but the 6-3, 185-pounder said he has a schedule conflict and he won’t be able to attend.

Parker recently picked up offers from LSU and Arkansas to go along with previous offers from the likes of Texas A&M, Mississippi State, Texas Tech, Utah and others.

We’ll let you know if anything develops further with Texas. (Suchomel)

Looking for an out-of-state QB to watch for 2014? Keep an eye on Edmond (OK) Santa Fe’s Justice Hansen.

The 6-4, 195-pounder is one of the top QBs in the country for the 2014 class. Earlier this spring, UT visited his school and assistant Darrell Wyatt had a phone conversation with both Hansen and his head coach.

“He just said he watched some of my film and really liked what he saw,” Hansen said. “We’re going to try to keep in touch, build up a relationship and just see how it goes.”

Hansen has already been offered by Missouri and Arkansas. Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Florida State are also showing a lot of interest.

Hansen is planning to camp at Missouri and Oklahoma. He said he might be coming to a Texas camp.

“I was pretty sure I was going to be able to go (on June 3) but then something came up so I’m not sure,” Hansen said.

We’ll have more from Hansen over the weekend. (Suchomel)

DeSoto, Texas Rivals250 running back Dontre Wilson narrowed his choices to Oregon, Ohio St., and Texas earlier this spring and on Friday night he plans to announce his college decision at halftime of the DeSoto spring game.

He has had a little difficulty figuring out when he would decide, and if he was ready to decide. At the State Track and Field Championships he told Orangebloods.com he was planning to hold off on making a decision. This weekend when asked at the Under Armour 7s is that was still the plan he said he was planning to hold off for now.

Now the announcement is back on again. DeSoto head coach Claude Mathis told Orangebloods.com this morning Wilson was planning to make his announcement tomorrow. Wilson is looking to decide between Oregon, Ohio St., and Texas.

So what are UT’s chances? Personally, I don’t like them. I think he’s going to Oregon. The Ducks have been in his head for quite some time with the distance being their lone hurdle. It is an offense he loves. We will all see tomorrow but the signs are all pointing to Oregon right now. (Howell)

I covered it earlier this week in my Road Scoop post on the board, but Dallas Kimball defensive tackle Justin Manning plans to name his top eight on Friday. I look for Texas to make the cut, but don’t see Texas and Manning getting together in the end. (Howell)

Speaking of defensive tackles, the Texas coaching staff has been keeping an eye on a few guys out there. Spring Westfield’s Hardreck Walker has been one of the hottest d-linemen in the state with offers coming from Arkansas, Auburn, Indiana, Michigan, Missouri, Northwestern, Purdue, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and West Virginia.

Recently, Texas defensive ends coach Oscar Giles stopped by the school and the Longhorns have since let him know they like what they have seen.

“He just told me the D-tackle coach really liked me, and he wanted me to get up there for the camp so they can evaluate me and see exactly where I’m at,” Walker said.

So will he be able to make it?

“Yeah, I’ll probably get up to UT’s camp,” he said. “I’m going to be at an A&M camp and possibly a Baylor camps this summer.”

He plans to attend the Texas camp on June 3.

This spring he visited Texas Tech and Texas A&M, and at this point says there are a few schools beginning to stand out.

“I kind of have a top five or six that rotate in and out,” he said. “I’m up to about a top six. In no specific order: Michigan, Northwestern, Arkansas, Auburn, and I’ll say Baylor.”

Where would Texas fit if the interest picked up?

“I’m not sure really,” he said. “They recruited a lot of DTs last year so I’m going to look at that. They would probably be three…maybe four.” (Howell)

Walker is not the only 2013 prospect the coaching staff has talked to about attending the Texas camp. Cy Wood safety Alfred Pullom has also been in communication with the Longhorns.

The 6-2, 187-pound defensive back received his first four offers on Monday.

“Things are going well. The recruiting game is starting to come around,” Pullom said. “I have like four offers right now. So everything is going good. I have Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Duke, Wake Forest, and McNeese.”

Pullom has already grown pretty familiar with the Texas coaching staff. He attended the second Texas junior day in February, and likes what he has seen from coach Duane Akina.

“I love coach Akina,” he said. “The adrenaline he has on the field. He just brings that fire type spirit to the atmosphere when he’s on the field even on the practice field.”

When it comes to an offer from the Longhorns, they have told him they were taking their time so if an offer does come he knows it likely will take some patience. (Howell)

Pullom’s Cy Wood’s teammate Deoundrei Davis did not waste any time committing once he received his Texas offer shortly after the Texas junior day in February. The commitment has slowed things down a bit, but it has not stopped others from continuing their pursuit.

“It’s a relieving feeling because you aren’t getting 100 people calling you a day seeing where you are going or what you’re thinking about,” Davis said. “It’s a solid commitment and that’s where for sure I will probably going to play my college ball.”

Since making his commitment, he has spent a lot of time getting to know the coaches and is looking forward to working with Texas defensive coordinator Manny Diaz at the Longhorns’ June 3 camp.

“He’s my kind of coach,” he said. “He does all kinds of crazy blitzes and just lets you play.”

He has also been keeping in touch with a few fellow commitments.

“Jacorey we’re good friends. We see each other once in awhile. He goes to Cy Falls right down the street,” he said. “Jake Raulerson, he makes sure to stay in touch with everybody.” (Howell)

Speaking of Jacorey Warrick, the spring has been busy as he participated in track and then went to work on timing and rhythm with a new quarterback. This summer he is looking forward to some 7-on-7 work and a few camp trips.

“I’m excited. It’s the first time getting to perform their since I committed,” Warrick said. “I went to the camp last year. I’m excited for that. Also I’ll be going to The Opening in July so I’m excited to go to that and just be around top competition and showcase my talents.”

Last summer at the Texas camp, Warrick worked plenty at cornerback. He said he could possibly work at corner this year but the majority of the work would be on offense and that is where he will be playing as a Longhorn.

“My heart is still receiver and I’m still feeling confident in the decision and the guys coming in with me. I feel we complement each other well. I’m looking forward to it,” he said. “They’ve been upfront. They told me I would play receiver until I didn’t want to play receiver anymore.”

He also said he was recently invited to Gridiron Kings in Florida and plans to attend. (Howell)

Texas has been keeping an eye on 2013 Alief Taylor DE Chris Hardeman is no stranger to those following recruiting. His early offer list has already reached double digits and he recently added an offer from LSU.

“It was crazy. Coach Raymond the DB coach came down and saw me in athletic period and he offered me right after,” Hardeman said. “So he liked what he saw. I like LSU and how they compare me to Tyrann Mathieu.”

This spring he attended the spring game at LSU as well as the spring game at Texas. He says he has not heard much from Texas, but is not worried at this point in the process.

“Texas, I really haven’t heard a lot from them right now,” he said. “I don’t think they talk to sophomores that much, but I would be really interested in hearing from Texas.”

While he was at the Texas spring game he was able to get a first-hand view of Texas DB coach Duane Akina, and is very intrigued.

“I like Texas’ DBs a lot. I know they call it DB-U and I like how coach Akina coaches his DBs,” Hardeman said. “Texas, that was real fun. I like the aggressive play they play with and just the technique they’re fundamentally sound. I like that a lot about Texas.”

He plans to attend the Texas camp on June 10 and also has camp stops set for LSU (June 3-4), Texas A&M (June 9), and Alabama in July. (Howell)

2014 Fort Bend Bush Quarterback Chad Davis.

Since receiving an invitation to the Texas spring game he says he hasn’t heard anything from the Longhorns, and at this point has a few other programs at the top of his early list.

“Baylor, Notre Dame, and Texas Tech came to the school, and Auburn, Texas A&M, and possibly Oregon,” Monroe said. “It’s just the way they run their offense and how it’s based around the quarterback and the form of quarterbacks that have gone through like Robert Griffin and Cam Newton.” (Howell)

Clear Lake offensive lineman Blake Blackmar is no stranger to the Longhorns. His father Bruce played for Texas and he grew up a Longhorn fan. At 6-6, 285 pounds Blackmar is a massive sophomore and quickly caught the attention of Texas coaches.

“The first time they came down, they were the first ones to come down my freshman year,” Blackmar said. “It was the day of my first varsity game and I thought coach was calling me down to tell me something about my jersey and there was Major Applewhite. I was like hey I know who you are. After that I was skipping down the halls. I called my dad in the middle of class and told him.”

Since then he has gotten to know the Longhorns staff pretty well. This spring he attended the Texas spring game and he plans to get to know coach Stacy Searels this summer with a four-day stay in Austin.

“I talked to coach. He came down to my school a couple of times and when I was down for my visit we talked some,” he said. “Really we’re going to get to know each more over the course of this camp I’m doing up there (June 6 three-day camp and June 10 mini-camp). I’ll really get to know him that way. He’s real up tempo and very eager to go out there and play football.”

In addition to Texas, Blackmar plans to attend Florida St. and Oklahoma camps as well as an elite lineman camp. This spring he attended both the Texas spring game and the Oklahoma spring game. Both left positive impressions.

“UT, it was pretty nice. I’ve been up there every year since I was going into eighth grade. My dad played there. I grew up a UT fan,” he said. “They’re basically telling you you are going to be on TV almost 24/7 with the Longhorn Network and they definitely take care of you academically ? tutors whenever you want them. Just the atmosphere. They want to win and win now and crack some heads.

“Oklahoma was actually [my dad’s] second choice. I grew up a Texas fan but I really am pretty open to anybody. Up at Oklahoma it was really nice. It was about the same as UT, except it’s a lot more of a college town. The invitation was a little more select there. There was only one other o-lineman there, so both the o-line coaches ? they have a tackle/tight end coach and center/guard coach ? I spent the whole day with them.” (Howell)

6-8, 350-pound Houston Reagan o-lineman Gewhite Stallworth says he has had just about everybody by the school including Alabama and Texas. He said Texas has invited him to a camp and he plans to attend.

This week I made my way to several schools in the Dallas area. On several stops I noticed coaches from former Big 12 member and current SEC member Missouri riding in style in what I believe is called the Mizzou SEC Party Wagon or something like that. They were making stops at several schools in the area. I must admit It’s pretty sweet and there’s a not so subtle pitch to Texas recruits on the backside.

1250293.jpg

1250294.jpg
(Howell)

Here’s a look at some of the offers handed out around the state this week that you might have missed of note:

Class of 2013

(LSR No.24) West Mesquite safety Kameron Miles committed to Tennessee.

(LSR No.32) San Antonio Madison defensive tackle Vincent Taylor was offered by Oklahoma State.

(LSR No.38) Kennedale linebacker Brett Wade committed to Texas A&M

(LSR No.65) Bastrop linebacker Paul Whitmill committed to TCU.

(LSR No.67) San Antonio O’Connor offensive lineman Baylen Brown committed to Texas Tech

(LSR No.76) Waco defensive tackle/offensive guard Andrew Billings was offered by Missouri, Memphis, Boise State, New Mexico and Colorado State.

(LSR NR) Rockwall-Heath defensive end Jordan Points committed to Texas A&M

(LSR NR): Manvel cornerback Tavares Garner committed to Texas Tech. He was also offered by Texas A&M, Colorado, Michigan State, Oregon State, UCLA, Utah, Louisiana Tech, UTEP, UTSA and Tulsa.

(LSR NR) Manvel wide receiver Kyrion Parker was offered by Texas A&M, LSU, Texas Tech, Utah, Illinois, La Tech, ULALA and UTSA.

(LSR NR) West Mesquite defensive end Dimarya Mixon (committed to Arizona State) was offered by Oklahoma.

(LSR No.9) Denton Guyer quarterback Jerrod Heard was offered by Arizona State.

(LSR No.11) Dallas Skyline cornerback Cedric Collins was offered by West Virginia

(LSR No.23) Dallas Bishop Dunne defensive back Nick Watkins was offered Ohio State.

(LSR No.29) Wylie DB TK Rockwell was offered by Michigan.

(LSR NR): Houston Cy falls linebacker Otaro Alaka received offers from Arkansas and Oklahoma State. (GK)

The Longhorns were fortunate enough to get Myck Kabongo back for next season, but they might not be that fortunate after the 2012-2013 campaign. If Kabongo does bolt for the NBA after his sophomore season, the Longhorns would likely have to go sign a point guard to play with Javan Felix. One of the players Texas is keeping an eye on is Richardson Berkner 2013 point guard Kendal Harris.

Harris, who is listed at 6-4 195 pounds, holds offers from the likes of Missouri, USC, Arkansas, Marquette, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Gonzaga, Virginia, and more. I caught up with Harris briefly tonight, and he indicated that Missouri is showing him the most attention of any school. I got the impression that the Tigers were at the top of his list.

However, the Horns have been in contact.

“I got an e-mail from coach Ogden,” said the No. 100 player in the Rivals150. “He wants me to come down for a visit sometime in the beginning of June. Ogden really likes me game. I had a good performance down in Arkansas and Vegas and stuff.”

Harris wasn’t sure if an offer would come from Texas, but knows that the Horns are interested. So, where would the Longhorns move to on his list if they offered?

“It would jump to the top,” Harris stated. “No doubt.”

Harris will be a name to follow, especially if he makes it to Texas in June for a visit.

Texas Tech made some headlines earlier this week when it fired long time coach Dan Spencer. If you recall before the season started, Oklahoma assistant coach Tim Tadlock left Oklahoma for Texas Tech. Tadlock, a former player at Tech, got a nice raise, and when the move was made those at Tech suggested he’d eventually take over. Now, Tadlock is the interim manager. You’re probably wondering what this has to do with Texas.

Well, Tadlock and Texas pitching coach Skip Johnson go way back and are the best of friends. So, if Tadlock is in charge of the Red Raiders permanently ? I spoke with a Texas Tech source that felt like there is a very strong possibility Tadlock remains in charge ? he’s going to come calling for Johnson. If Tadlock, who received a nice contract with Tech, doesn’t remain the head guy in charge for some odd reason, the same source indicated to me that Johnson’s name was “mentioned a lot,” regarding the possible head coaching job.

Obviously, the odds of Johnson leaving Texas to take the same position at Tech are very slim, but I wouldn’t call the chances zero because of the great relationship Johnson and Tadlock have. Tech could give Johnson the associate head coach tag, and probably more money. The source I spoke with indicated that money probably wouldn’t be a problem. I don’t get the impression money is a big enough deal to Johnson that he’d leave Texas, where he basically gets any pitcher he wants, for Tech. Now, you’re probably saying right now that money isn’t a problem at Texas, and it’s not. Johnson deserves a raise, but the fact that he doesn’t have that associate head coach tag (Tommy Harmon does) might make it a little difficult to pay him more money, especially if it’s more than Harmon. I think that Johnson’s ultimate goal is to have a shot at the Texas job when Garrido eventually steps down, but we obviously don’t know when that time will come, or if Johnson would be strongly considered.

If he needs to, Garrido will do everything, and I mean everything, he can to keep Johnson at Texas. He realizes how important his pitching coach is to his program, that he might be the best pitching coach in the country, and how good Johnson is at what he does, which includes being an ace recruiter. The relationship between Johnson and Garrido is a really, really good one.

I wouldn’t worry right now if I’m a Texas fan, but Texas needs to show Johnson a little more love and make sure he’s taken care of. (McComas)

This post was edited on 5/24 10:26 PM by Suchomel

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News