ADVERTISEMENT

Inside the War Room (November 14)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suchomel

Staff
Aug 10, 2001
Charlie Strong has made a big deal out of safety Mykkele Thompson wearing contact lenses. Thompson has heard everything that has been said about his improved vision, and honestly, he believes things are getting out of hand.

"I was fine," Thompson said. "That's what coach Strong wants to believe, that I was having a hard time seeing it. But I thought I was seeing it pretty good."

Thompson said he believes his recent interception, plus improved play, is just a coincidence. He does not always wear contacts in practice, but the near-sighted safety has started putting them in before games.

Why did he resist getting them for so long?

"I just couldn't put them in," Thompson said. "I tried a couple of times, just hassling when them. I didn't have time to spend 30 minutes out of my day trying to put them in, and feeling uncomfortable with them in, and always rubbing my eyes and everything. I decided not to wear them."

Thompson currently wears disposable contacts, and does not have any problems. He still wears glasses, but is appeasing Strong right now. Thompson wants everybody to know he was not blind before switching to contacts. (Richardson)

The other interesting aspect about Thompson is his big hit against West Virginia running back Wendell Smallwood. Thompson, a former high school quarterback, delivered a punishing hit, and considering he does not like contact, Longhorn observers should be impressed.

In fact, Thompson did not know he could deliver a big hit until it happened this past Saturday.

"It's always going to be scary (hitting an opponent) … It's much better than it was four years ago. I will say that," Thompson said. (Richardson)

By now, everyone has watched the video of Charlie Strong crowd surfing after the West Virginia game. Outside it being a hilarious moment, the video showed how much players love Strong.

Over the past few weeks, Strong has talked about the importance of becoming bowl eligible for his seniors. However, players want to make a bowl game for Strong.

"I've been wanting to win for him all year," Longhorn senior cornerback Quandre Diggs said. "As much as I brag on him each and every week to you guys, you guys understand how I feel about coach Strong, and the whole entire staff. I think it's part of my duty to go out and perform each and every week. Being able to have guys that you can relate to is an amazing opportunity. I think the world of those guys, and I think those guys deserves also to go to a bowl game." (Richardson)

Texas linebacker Jordan Hicks credits his outstanding senior season to being healthy and the new coaching staff.

"This coaching staff, they teach," Hicks said. "They do a really good job of teaching. Everybody is really involved with everybody. Coach [Vance] Bedford sits in on every single meeting, whether it's linebackers, DBs, defensive line. He's in every room. Coach Strong is the same way, walking in and out, constantly teaching constantly making comments. It's nice to have three different heads you can kind of pick and learn things from. Obviously, I believe my IQ is higher this year than it has been in a while."

Texas linebacker Steve Edmond recently credited the coaching staff with helping him understand how to break down game film, and Hicks has the same faith.

"We can relate to these coaches," Hicks said. "They do a good job of letting everybody know they truly care about you, and that they want to relate to you. They do a really good job of that, and being personable. I think that plays a big part as well." (Richardson)

A bit more detail on the injury situations with offensive linemen Darius James and Kent Perkins ...

James, as we mentioned on Thursday, is out for the remainder of the year after suffering a knee injury in practice last week. The long-term prognosis for James is a bit more up in the air based on conversations we've had with people close to the situation.

When James suffered the injury, there was some hope that he'd be able to get back to action relatively quickly depending on the results of the MRI. Those tests showed some damage to James' ACL, and he'll now have the knee examined further, possibly with arthroscopic surgery, to determine the extent of the injury.

"It's not fully torn," one source said. "So they'll do the scope later and go from there."

Perkins went down in Wednesday's practice with a knee injury of his own. The initial outlook is for Perkins to return to action fairly soon.

"He's telling people it's the same thing that happened against K-State a couple weeks ago," one person said.

Fans need to hope Perkins' self-diagnosis is accurate. In that game, Perkins tried to come back into the game for a spell but was eventually forced back to the bench. However, he was back at practice a few days later and has played in the two games that followed K-State. If the injury is identical to the one that popped up in Manhattan, a quick return to action is possible. If it's more severe, his status for this week is very much in doubt and Texas will have to once again rework the offensive line.

If Perkins is out of action, look for Jake Raulerson to move into the starting role. Raulerson has worked at both center and tackle this year, so one would think he'd slide into the center spot with current center Taylor Doyle moving out to right guard.

Texas has not issued a formal update on either player. We'll pass along more details as soon as they're available. (Suchomel)

A few quick team notes we've picked up this week outside of our reports on Desmond Harrison, Chris Nelson, Darius James and Kent Perkins:

- We asked one source about DT Alex Norman and he said via text, "he's actually getting out (of the pit) I think." The source said that Norman is not practicing with the team yet. We asked how close he was and he said "not that close. He's only just now (taking) laps." Depth could be used on the defensive line, but it appears Norman is still a little ways off even though progress is being made.

- We asked if anyone was injured we might not know about and the same source said: "25 (presumably Antuwan Davis) was in a boot." We texted back that Tyrone Swoopes was "in a boot" on campus Monday morning, and it was no big deal and the source said back, "No, in (a boot) at practice." Clearly, we know that walking boots are used as precautionary and sometimes just quick-rehab measures, so it's likely something minor with Davis, who is not a starter.

- We asked who was playing in the second group with the secondary if Davis was out and the source said, "I know Sheroid's back out there." We asked if that meant Sheroid Evans was fully healthy and the source said he was working out with the team. Two weeks ago, we'd said in the War Room that Evans was apparently working his way out of the pit, and apparently he's at least worked his way back into position drills with the team according to this source. (OB Staff)

This time last week, not many Longhorn fans had heard the name of JUCO OT Tristan Nickelson. Nickelson is now the latest commitment for the Longhorn program after visiting for the West Virginia game and giving Texas a pledge on Saturday night.

Nickelson talked about the process of becoming a Texas commitment.

"In the summer, in July, I went to one of their camps. I kind of got to know all the coaches there, met coach (Joe) Wickline, some of the other coaches. They said the whole year, we'll be in touch, watch some game film. I had heard a little bit from them the past couple games," Nickelson said. "They invited me up for the game and I kind of of knew where it was going, but it's never a sure thing. I came in, met with the coaches, said hi. Coach Wickline brought me down to coach Strong, that's when I got to talk to him, that's when they officially offered and I committed on the spot."

Nickelson on the decision to switch his commitment to Texas from Iowa State ...

"Being from Texas, a Texas offer, that's the tops. You cant' get much better than that," Nickelson said. "I grew up in Texas watching Texas football. It's always been a dream of mine to play at a big-time school in Texas. It doesn't get any bigger than the University of Texas.

Nickelson on what the Texas coaches told him they liked about him ...

"(Wickline) thinks I'm a guy who can come in, pick things up really quickly, and play for him immediately. That's a big selling point," Nickelson said. "I know they're pretty shallow on the o-line. They have like six guys that were available in the West Virginia game. I think he just sees that I can come in and pick up the system really quickly and help them."
I asked the 6-8, 300-pound Nickelson to critique his own game and talk about what he does well.

"I think probably I would say I'm not a flashy player, don't make all the highlight blocks. I'm just really disciplined, don't mess up a whole lot," Nickelson said. "I just go out there and get the job done. Pass blocking is probably my best, out of a two-point stance, since I'm so long and it's really hard to run the edge on me. I don't mint doing run blocking, getting down in a three-point stance. I'm just an overall player."

Last weekend's visit was an unofficial visit. Nickelson said he'll likely return for the TCU game in a couple weeks and take his official visit on December 6. During his stop in for the West Virginia game, Nickelson said he got some time to talk with former high school teammate Marcus Johnson and he also spent some time with current UT QB commitment Zach Gentry, who stands 6-6.

"I got to talk to (Gentry) a little bit. He's really pumped up that I committed," Nickelson said. "He said 'It's nice to finally have a lineman that I can look up to.'" (Suchomel)

Rivals100 DB Tim Irvin seemed to really enjoy his UT official visit last weekend, and he liked the message from the UT coaches of how they'd improve him both as a player and a person.

"It was great place," Irvin said. "When I went up there, I liked the facilities, it's a great environment, everyone around there stood out. It was a great place overall."

"I spend time with the coaches. They were telling me how I could make an impact to the Longhorns, how they really want me and how they can make me a better man on and off the field, how I can get a great education. It wasn't just about football."

Irvin, who is being recruited to play safety, didn't want to name a formal list of favorites but said Texas is squarely in the mix.

"I'm really still open to every school. I don't have a top school. But Texas is a great program. I liked everything about it when I was there," Irvin said.

One of the highlights of the visit, Irvin said, was seeing the Texas players and coaches in the locker room immediately after the big win.

"It was crazy. Everybody was pumped up, everybody was excited," Irvin said. "It was crazy, an exciting win over a good West Virginia team. Crazy." (Suchomel)

Texas running back Kirk Johnson made his way to Austin last week with his entire family, including brother and fellow UT commit Collins Johnson. Kirk said it was a great visit overall and he liked the fight shown by the Longhorns in getting the win over a good West Virginia team.

"It was good, a good game to go to, they showed out well against a ranked team," Johnson said. "It was a big start for the program, it's getting where I think coach Strong wants it to be. They just have to finish out strong this week."

On Sunday, the Johnsons went and watched some film of the game with the coaches. In addition to the Xs and Os talk, the coaches stressed to Johnson that they need him to be ready for next year and talked about how he could fit into the RB equation.

Johnson said he spent most of his time at the game hanging out with fellow UT commitments Zach Gentry, Cameron Townsend and Tristan Nickelson ("That dude is big, man," Johnson said of Nickelson). Johnson and his brother, Collin, have both struck up a friendship with Gentry dating back to last summer, and he said it was good to catch up and they're all looking forward to playing together at Texas. (Suchomel)

"It was a good visit. Everything was good," Johnson said. (Suchomel)

One of the bigger stories this week was the fact that UT defensive end commitment Charles Omenihu took an official visit to Arizona State. The development is significant since Omenihu has been such an active leader for UT's recruiting efforts, trying to talk every top prospect on Texas' radar into joining him in Austin ... so for him to pop up on another campus was a bit of a surprise.

The good news is that Omenihu seems like he's going to stick with Texas. He said he notified the UT staff of the visit before he took it and upon returning, he still had Texas out in front.

Omenihu listed ASU's biggest draw as the team's success this year ("They're on a hot sreak."). For UT, he listed a history of winning as a big advantage.

"Texas has a tradition of winning, obviously. When you think of the school you're going to go to, a traditional school, Texas would come up before Arizona State would," Omenihu said. "Texas has the potential to be good because of all their recruits in the state.

"And Texas has more outside of school, life outside of school."

Omenihu did communicate with the UT coaches after the visit, and he said the coaches mostly just focused on the win over WVU game and his upcoming playoff run.

they knew that i was going. just texting coach rumph, on twitter. didn't really even talkin about the visit honestly, more talking about the wvu game, my game.

they were just really didn't have a problem with it per say, didn't say no. jsut asked why i was going to go and siad ok.

The only slight concern here is that Omenihu didn't completely slam the door on the recruiting process. He said his commitment was an 8 (on a 1-10 scale) before the ASU trip, and it remains an 8 now.

"(Texas fans) shouldn't have too much to be worried about at all," Omenihu said.

Omenihu remains committed to UT and he's hoping to attend the game against TCU on Thanksgiving night. (Suchomel)

There have been a lot of questions lately about the possibility of Texas getting back in the mix for Baltimore (MD) Gilman School QB Kai Locksley, who committed to Florida State in late July.

We had checked in with Locksley last week, but he wanted to wait until his season concluded before talking recruiting. His last game was last Friday, so we followed up this week.

Locksley, a four-star prospect, has been consistently in contact with Texas over the past few months and a visit isn't out of the question, but the UT staff will need to continue to chip away at this one.

"Not too much (contact) as they've been focused on their season but probably once a week," Locksley said via text when asked about his contact with Texas. "Right now they're still building a foundation with me, talking about the normal things like my season and theirs."

Locksley said Texas has brought up a few times the idea of getting him on campus for a visit before he makes a final decision.

"They told me if I was willing, January would be the best month for them," Locksley said. "As for if I will, I'm not sure. I would have to finalize that after talking with my parents and FSU."

Locksley seems pretty solid with FSU, but Texas does appear to be the one school that may have a hope of prying him away from the Seminoles. I asked Locksley to characterize his commitment and detail what a school like UT, or any other, would have to do to ultimately win him over.

"I would say (my commitment is) pretty strong as I'm in contact with them basically every day of the week," Locksley said. "And I feel like an outstanding, over-the-top official in which I liked it more than my FSU official would do that." (Suchomel)

Texas made a heck of an impression on 2016 Gilmer RB/LB DeMarco Boyd during his visit for the WVU game.

When I caught up with Boyd this week, he was watching LHN (hoops programming, no less), but he took some time to talk about his stop in Austin.

"I liked the atmosphere of it. I could see myself playing for them," Boyd said. "They really opened my eyes up and it put them on top of my recruiting list. I didn't think it was going to be that fun, the atmosphere that good. I felt like I was at home."

Boyd was accompanied on the visit by his brother, 2015 DB Kris Boyd, and his cousin, former UT DB Curtis Brown. On Sunday, the brothers went back to campus to talk to the UT coaches and break down some film.

Boyd said he and Kris are going to try to make it to the Horns' regular-season finale against TCU. He and his brother still plan to play together in college, and Kris is planning to announce at the Army All-American Game in January. DeMarco has yet to set a timetable.

"I'm really just waiting right now, since I'm only a junior. I'm waiting for more offers to come in, just sitting back, chilling, doing my thing with my grades," DeMarco said. "Wherever (Kris) goes, I'll look at the school, see how the grades are, and then make my decision."

Whenever Kris does commit, DeMarco said he'll probably make his decision "shortly after."

Expect the Longhorns to remain squarely in the mix.

"I just liked the coaches, the kids. They're all coming together," DeMarco said. "It's like a brotherhood with the players and coaches. It's like family there."

Over the years, there have been numerous Orangebloods members that have voiced their issues with the Texas basketball home atmosphere. If you attend the Texas basketball season-opener this Friday (7:30 p.m.), you'll probably notice some new things about the game atmosphere.

I was told by one source that Texas hired some consultants to help change the basketball atmosphere. Evidently, they're trying to make Texas' season-opener tomorrow a bigger deal than normal, and have worked on trying to create more of a "NBA-type of atmosphere." There have even been some mentions of things like DJs and other things that Texas has never used before. "They're doing all kinds of stuff for it," said the source, who expected continuous attention given to improving the basketball home atmosphere.

Who knows how it'll look and feel? With all of the construction around the Erwin Center right now and an opener against North Dakota State, the crowd is probably going to be light tomorrow. However, it's clear that Steve Patterson is being proactive when it comes to trying to do something to change the basketball game atmosphere. If he's willing to go this far already with consultants and a play to make the season-opener a big deal, he's probably going to continue to give both the basketball and football game atmospheres a lot of attention moving forward. (McComas)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News