ADVERTISEMENT

Inside the War Room (November 28th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
We’ll start things off with a couple of football team notes.

No.1 - Based on the information we received, the atom was not split at tonight’s team meeting with the players. According to two people with knowledge of the discussions, no talk of staff changes was discussed. It was a pretty standard meeting to map out the coming weeks.

No.2 - Multiple sources in different arms of the program believe that defensive tackles coach Mike Tolleson will retire.

As everyone continues to try and crack the code that is Mack Brown’s top-secret plan to save the Longhorn football universe, an interesting name has emerged as a name of interest of the course of the last couple of weeks, and certainly in the last few days.

Remember this name - LSU’s strength and conditioning coach Tommy Moffitt.

Several people with connections to the Longhorn program mentioned that Moffitt’s name has been a buzzword around the 40 Acres as a possible replacement for current S&C coach Jeff Madden if there were a change in that department in the coming weeks or in the next couple of years.

A source with connections to the LSU program confirmed on Sunday night that there is an interest on behalf of the Longhorns in Moffitt, but the extent of the interest isn’t yet known. Another source connected to the LSU program told us on Sunday that there’s not a more sough after name in the entire LSU program.

Some notes of interest:

1. Moffitt arrived at LSU with Nick Saban and has remained with the staff ever since. His connection to the Longhorns is that he worked with Muschamp when both were at LSU under Saban.

2. Saban has gone after Moffitt a couple of different times, first when he went to the Dolphins and again when he joined Alabama, but Moffitt has remained in Baton Rouge. In addition to being the highest-paid S&C in the country, Moffitt has strong family roots in the state of Louisiana and one source thought it would be nearly impossible to pry him from the LSU program at this point.

3. My Texas sources seem to think they’d have a fighting chance if the stars were aligned correctly.

Again, this is just a name and a few nuggets to file away for potential use. (KETCH)

Moffitt would be a top candidate to come to Texas if Mack Brown makes a change in strength and conditioning, but also keep an eye on Auburn strength and conditioning coach Kevin Yoxall, who worked with Muschamp at Auburn in 2006 and 2007. Yoxall has been at Auburn since 1999 and has certainly had a ton of success helping players who have gone on to the NFL (Ronnie Brown, Cadillac Williams, Karlos Dansby, Jay Ratliffe, etc.). One of my best sources said there is chatter in the strength and conditioning circles that Yoxall is a guy Texas would/has expressed interest in. (BROWN)

Caught up with UT offensive line commitment Christian Westerman tonight to check in and get an update on his injured left leg, which has kept him out of action for a few weeks.

Initially, it was believed that Westerman had suffered a microfracture inijury, but further evaluation revealed that it’s actually a deep bone contusion (bruise). Westerman is hoping to be back for his team’s state championship game in two weeks, should Chandler Hamilton make it that far.

Westerman said he’s familiar with some of the rumors that have been floating around in regards to possible changes on the Forty Acres. The blue-chip tackle said he’s taking a wait-and-see approach.

“Of course I hear that stuff, especially o-line wise. If they lose that coach, he’s definitely a guy I'm closest to on the staff. I’d probably just have to look into it more,” Westerman said. “I guess we'll have to see what happens with all that but I think everything will be fine.”

As far as his thoughts on Texas, Westerman listed the overall environment, the program’s family atmosphere, academics and the opportunity for early playing time as the factors that have him committed to the Longhorns. He continues to get mail from a couple schools, but he said he’s not talking to any other schools. He does stay in contact with UT assistant Mac McWhorter on a regular basis.

“I talk to coach McWhorter once a week. We just talk about the season, how it's going, family stuff,” Westerman said. “I definitely like coach McWhorter. He tells you how it is, what it’s going to be like. He doesn't give you BS, he tells the truth.” (Suchomel)

2012 El Campo DT Joey Hunt was one of a few prospects in attendance on Thursday night for the Texas/Texas A&M game, and once again left impressed.

Texas has been among his favorites from the beginning. He has family ties to UT and UT has expressed interest. While on campus he was able to talk to coach Oscar Giles and Giles let him know he was a prospect they would be watching closely.

He attended the game with his older brother and mom to the game and could feel the atmosphere on gameday Thursday night.

“It was pretty awesome,” Hunt said. “There were a lot more fans there than the Baylor game I went to. It was loud. It was exciting to be there with all those fans. The atmosphere was pretty awesome.”

He grew up a Texas fan but TCU and Texas A&M have really made an impression and the three in-state programs are tops on his list right now. He also likes what he is hearing from Oklahoma.

We’ll have a more detailed report on Hunt and his visit later. (Howell)

2012 Dallas Skyline LB Peter Jinkens is another prospect to keep an eye on for the Longhorns. Like Hunt he grew up a fan of Texas and he and the Longhorns have been touch recently. He said he continues to talk on a regular basis with UT Defensive Coordinator Will Muschamp.

Texas A&M has made a move on his list and he list the Aggies and Longhorns, along with Oregon and Alabama as four schools he likes at this point. He said Texas and A&M are showing the most interest at this point.

He played some RB this year for Skyline but is being recruited as a LB and prefers defense to offense. We’ll have a more detailed update on Jinkens later as well. (Howell)
This post was edited on 11/28 10:04 PM by Ketchum

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News