ADVERTISEMENT

Inside the War Room (October 17)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suchomel

Staff
Aug 10, 2001
The majority of teams with a 2-4 start usually are close to collapsing. All of the preseason goals are seemingly unachievable. Most players realize they probably will not make a bowl game. Coaches begin thinking about getting young players ready for next season. There are few good things that occur.

Nevertheless, for Texas, you can see the confidence of players and coaches at an all-time high this week.

There is a belief in every Longhorn that things are about to turn around. The defense has played well this season, and Texas' offense finally showed promise against Oklahoma. We all know this squad is not a finished product - especially the special teams unit - but there does not seem to be any quit in this team.

"It's the toughness," Longhorns cornerback Quandre Diggs said. "Going through the summer and spring with coach (Pat) Moorer. Having a coach like coach Strong, he doesn't let us get down on ourselves. He knows what type of football team we can be. We definitely have a lot of trust in him and believe in him. We showed some things. All of the losses showed what type of team we can be. We've just got to put it all together.

"Once we put all three phases of the game together, we'll be a remarkable team … me being a senior, I understand we're 2-4, but you can't even be down because of the way the team is going out and fighting. You see it each and every week. Those guys go out and compete their tails off in practice, and we have great weeks of practice. It's not like we're going out messing up practice and then just going out and blowing it in the game. We're busting our tails. I'm going to stand behind this team because it's a very special year. It's my senior year. I'm here for these guys. I just want to be a positive leader on this team."

Here is a positive statistic to consider.

When Strong took over at Louisville in 2011, he started 2-4. The Cardinals finished 7-6 and advanced to a bowl game. After that season, Louisville finished 11-2 in 2013 and 12-1 last season. Obviously, 2-4 is not the blueprint for success, but this coaching staff understands the importance of patience.

Even though coaches have stressed taking it one game at a time, the seniors on this team are focused on winning and advancing to a bowl game. (Richardson)

Texas coach Charlie Strong and offensive coach Shawn Watson spent this past week praising Taylor Doyle's performance at center against Oklahoma. Considering Doyle's lack of experience at the position, it really says a lot about his play this past Saturday.

Doyle spoke to the media this week, which says a lot. Strong does not let players speak to the media, unless he views them as one of his leaders. It is the reason why you normally hear from the same guys each week. For Strong to allow Doyle to speak with the media indicates the coach believes he is a leader.

Prior to facing Oklahoma, Doyle had limited playing time at center. He did not play center in high school, and his experience at the position was limited to occasionally relieving Dominic Espinosa in practice. However, offensive line coach Joe Wickline makes sure guys in his unit can play several different positions.

"I think this coaching staff came in and gave everyone the opportunity to play," Doyle said. "I was excited to be able to contribute to the team."

So far, it appears Doyle will be contributing a lot during the second half of this season. (Richardson)

The one thing quarterback Tyrone Swoopes is not known for is his speed. He knows it. His teammates know it. We all know it.

Caleb Bluiett had to point it out.

During the first quarter against Oklahoma, Swoopes ripped off a 73-yard run, which was called back due to a holding penalty. It was one of the many early penalties that hurt Texas against Oklahoma.

During the film review session on Sunday, Bluiett made fun of Swoopes for his lack of speed, which was proven as everyone saw the quarterback tackled from behind. Bluiett repeatedly told Swoopes he was slow, and he did not deny it.

"I'm not that fast," Swoops said. "I wasn't gifted with a lot of speed. I kind of did what I could. Once I felt somebody behind me, I kind of locked it up, so he wouldn't strip me from behind." (Richardson)

Longhorn receiver John Harris has 31 receptions and has team highs in yards (460) and touchdowns (six). Even though Harris is one of Swoopes' favorite targets, he still remembers being buried on the depth chart prior to this season.

Harris recently described his lowest moment at Texas.

"It was probably two years ago, whenever we went to Ole Miss," Harris said. "That was probably the lowest point I've ever been at. I was supposed to come in and be the starter off of a broken foot. I ended up falling way back behind some of those younger guys. Just getting lost in the depth chart a little bit.

"I was blaming myself. I knew most of it was my fault. You can't really blame anybody else. It's all about how you perform." (Richardson)

Some team notes from this week ...

- More of the same for Desmond Harrison

We asked a few sources this week about Desmond Harrison, and it's more of the same. A key source told us Thursday morning the same thing he's said every week this season, "he's still working his way back." This has seemingly come to mean, "he's not playing this week." Orangebloods has been hearing since late September that there could be plans in place to redshirt Harrison, but these reports are unconfirmed.

- Elijah Rodriguez seems early in his concussion protocol

We asked one team source about freshman OL Elijah Rodriguez. Charlie Strong said at his Monday availability that Rodriguez was working his way back from a concussion but would be back at practice this week. As of Thursday morning, this source said Rodriguez hadn't had a full practice with the team yet, and "still seems early" in his return. It is unclear if Rodriguez will be active for Iowa State, but, reading the tea leaves, it feels like he could be out this week.

- Bryce Cottrell More Noticeable at Practice

We asked one source about Shiro Davis as he seemed noticeably absent during the OU game. The source texted back about a different player. He said Bryce Cottrell has been "been turning heads" at practice. The source said that Cottrell made some plays in practice this week, most notably a big batted pass where he "showed some ups." The source indicated Cottrell could be in line for increased snaps behind Cedric Reed versus Iowa State. It is unclear what this may mean for Davis' snaps as another backup to Reed thus far.

- Taylor Doyle still at center

We asked about the offensive line, and how they've looked this week, and were told it was the same group that played versus OU. "They're a young group, they're coming together," one source said.

- Naashon Hughes getting all the first-team run at weak-side DE

We asked a team source about the rotation at the weak-side DE position this week in practice and were told via text: "40 (Naashon Hughes) is first team." It seems Naashon Hughes has carved out a role for himself that has evolved into that of a true starter on the Texas defense. When we asked about Caleb Bluiett, the source simply said, "he's working with the 2s." (Orangebloods Staff)

Quite a bit of recruiting notes to get to this week, so let's jump right in ...

We'll start off with an update on Texas running back commitment Tristian Houston, who surprised everyone this week when he said he's planning to take some official visits despite his UT pledge.

A committed player taking visits is never a good thing, but this one doesn't feel like a situation that Texas needs to worry about too much.

"I just want to take visits, look at other schools for the fun of it. I'm not thinking about decommitting from Texas, I just want to look at other schools and enjoy this chance," Houston said.

The North Shore product detailed what changed, making him want to take the visits (Arkansas and UCLA were mentioned as possible stops).

"My family. They've just been asking me what I thought about it (visits). I told them I would love to just for the fun aspect. I'm not going to decommit, I just want to go see other schools.

"Texas is home. I'm not going anywhere. I'm 100 percent strong with Texas."

Houston did text with UT assistant Chris Vaughn to let him know he was considering other visits. Vaughn, of course, told Houston the coaches would prefer he doesn't visit other schools. Houston will be in Austin on Saturday night for the Iowa State game, so the coaches will have a chance then to state their case. (Suchomel)

Texas OL commitment Patrick Vahe made a surprise stop in College Station on Saturday night for A&M's game against Ole Miss.

Vahe downplayed the significance of that trip, but went on to say he plans to take some official visits other than his stop in Austin.

"It was just a chance to take some of my boys down there, get them a taste of college. That's all it was," Vahe said. "The game was pretty disappointing though."

Vahe talked about his commitment status ...

"I'm still committed, as always. But I'm keeping my options open to other colleges just so I can go out and experience other colleges."

Florida State and UCLA were schools mentioned that could get official visits. Vahe doesn't plan to set those up until after his senior season ends. He did talk to Texas about his plans.

"I talked to coach (Joe) Wickline, let him know I'm still committed. My visit there is going to be happening soon, so he was excited about that," Vahe said.

Vahe rated his commitment an 8 on a 1-10 scale, and didn't know what another school would have to do to get him to seriously consider an alternative to Texas.

"That's a good question. I really can't answer that. That's a really tough question. They'd just have to catch me off guard, get me excited," Vahe said.

Vahe said he may hit the Oklahoma State-TCU game this weekend in Fort Worth since he has cousins on both teams. (Suchomel)

The Texas coaches were busy on Tuesday, offering scholarships to seven prospects in South Florida.

Rivals100 ATH Tim Irvin spoke with Charlie Strong that day and the two had previously communicated when Strong was at Louisville.

"He said he really liked how I play. He recruited me at Louisville," Irvin said. "He said he likes that I'm aggressive and he wants me to come up there and see how it is."

Irvin said most colleges are recruiting him a RB or WR and as of right now, he has no clue what position he'll play in college. The Longhorns told him they like him on both sides of the ball.

What stands out to Irvin when he thinks of the Texas program?

"All I think about is the heat. It's the same thing as Miami, so I can adopt to anything," Irvin said. "Football is football. When I think of Texas, I think it's a good program. Maybe one day I'll go out there and visit.

"Right now, I'm open to everybody. I don't really have a top school. Texas would be a pretty good fit. I'm just waiting to see all the opportunities I get. I'm just patiently waiting."

Irvin will visit Clemson next week and West Virginia Halloween weekend. He's trying to sort out his other three visits.

"I could see Texas as going up there for an official visit," Irvin said. "I know all the coaches, know coach Strong from Louisville, so that's a good head start for me." (Suchomel)

Coconut Creek (FL) Monarch DB Ronnie Hoggins was another of the offers, and Hoggins was planning to check with Texas at some point this week to set up an official visit.

"They do jump into the mix, but I don't know where they fit on my list right now," Hoggins said. "I'm going to call them back and talk about setting a visit up, most likely. Figure out when is the best time to get out there."

Hoggins said he likes Texas' history of producing talented defensive backs. He plans to take all five of his visits and doesn't have a timeline in place to make a decision.

We'll follow up with him to see if he did in fact lock down a date for a Texas visit. (Suchomel)

A couple quick tight end notes, before jumping to yet another tight end recruiting segment that you all will like much better.

I texted with both Will Gragg on Thursday to update on each's status.

Gragg, an Arkansas commitment, was originally planning to take his official visit to Texas this weekend. After talking with the UT coaches, Gragg has canceled that trip and will reschedule for a later date. The Texas coaches wanted him in town on a weekend when both his parents could come, which wasn't the case this weekend.

I asked Davis about the talk of him taking visits and if there's a chance Texas could get a trip.

"None at all," he said.

Davis, who is committed to Texas A&M, did attend a UT junior day and the Longhorn spring game, and he told people close to him late in the summer that he would consider a UT visit. We'll keep an eye on this one, but Davis said late this week that he's not planning to make a stop in Austin. (Suchomel)

More tight end talk ...

I caught up with Miami Booker T. Washington tight end Devonaire Clarington, a player who has been on our recruiting board for months, and things have heated up with him and Texas.

Clarington reported a UT offer in February of last year but things went silent between him and UT for a long while in 2014. That has changed, and Clarington said he's been talking to Charlie Strong recently after Strong reached out to him on Twitter.

"He's basically trying to rebuild the program there. He's strict, I know he kicked out two linemen. He's strict, doesn't want guys doing things that damage the program," Clarington said. "I see what he's trying to do, trying to get some Florida guys, top talent, bring it there and make a team. It's not going to happen next year, it might not even happen in two years. But it will come. Coach Strong is changing things around, he will bring attention. That's why they have my high interest."

Here's where things really get interesting ...

"Me, (wide receiver) DaVante Davis are all going to go up there. We're trying to that set up, go up there with our officials, enjoy the atmosphere, see how it is."

Davis is a four-star safety who Texas offered this week. He has offers from top programs all over the country.

Gilbert Johnson is a brand new name to us, which leads us too ... (Suchomel)

Shortly after talking to Clarington, we talked to Gilbert Johnson to get some background.

Johnson, as mentioned above, is a wide receiver out of Georgia Prep Sports Academy. He goes 6-5 and 205 pounds and committed to Georgia in 2014 before heading to his current school to get his test scores.

Johnson said he's talked to Charlie Strong and Vance Bedford a few times, including a conversation with UT a couple days ago.

Along with a Georgia offer, Johnson has offers from LSU, Marshall, Louisville, Tennessee and Kansas.

"They (Texas) are trying to get me up there with Devonaire. I'm still thinking about that," said Johnson, who has no visits set up at this point. "Me and coach Strong haven't finished talking about visits yet, but we're trying to come to an agreement on when they want me to come up."

The smart money would be on Johnson re-signing with Georgia, but if Texas can get him on campus, anything is possible.

Johnson and Clarington played together in 11th grade at Miami Southridge. Johnson describes himself as a "big body receiver who can go up and get the ball if it's anywhere in my radius, with pretty good speed and good route running."

We'll follow up with Johnson to see if he does in fact wind up setting up a Texas visit. (Suchomel)

Aledo WR Ryan Newsome took his first official visit last week, to Ole Miss.

Newsome has three others scheduled. He was originally planning to visit Texas for the Baylor game, and then possibly for this weekend's Iowa State game. But as of this week, Newsome is still trying to figure out the details on a UT visit.

Not to worry, he said. He'll get to Austin at some point.

Newsome said he'd prefer to come in during a game weekend where he can get the "full experience," but the UT coaches would prefer he comes in after the season when they have more time to spend with him. He's fine with it either way.

"I've still got love for Texas. Nothing's changed on that end," Newsome said. "I kind of want to be able to get the whole experience, and don't want to come down when there's not a game going on. But if I can't do that, it's not a big deal."

Newsome connected with Les Koenning on Wednesday and said the UT coaches are still showing him a lot of attention. He heard from someone that the UT message boards were talking about him not visiting, but he had a message for Texas fans.

"Someone told me the message boards were blowing up. Much love to Texas. They have nothing to worry about. I'll be down there soon," Newsome said.

Of note, Newsome said his Ole Miss visit was better than he thought it would be. The coaches there told him he and Damarkus Lodge are the only two wide receiver they're recruiting, which made an impression. (Suchomel)

A couple of tidbits from the first couple weeks of Texas basketball practice:

News this week before Texas took the podium at Big 12 Media Day centered around the fact that Isaiah Taylor was unable to take the trip after, according to Texas, he took a spill in practice. Think of him hanging back as a concussion protocol-type of thing. Rick Barnes told the media in Kansas City that Taylor was fine. He is. According to a source, the sophomore point guard returned to practice today. Taylor wasn't the only one to deal with an issue above the shoulders. A source indicated that Connor Lammert didn't see a pass coming, and was popped in the nose, which held him out of practice. He also returned to practice today.

Speaking of Lammert, I've heard his dedication in the weight room with Todd Wright is really starting to show. Now a junior, Lammert arrived at Texas as a skinny forward that played much stronger than he looked. Now, he's starting to add some muscle to that frame and play even stronger. The lefty has an impressive all-around skill-set, and has improved to the point where it's going to be tough for Texas not to play him 20-25 minutes a night.

As for the pass that caught Lammert on the beak, it came from Myles Turner. One person told me Turner "has been a better passer than we anticipated." So yeah, he has another skill he's good at. As expected, Turner's work-ethic and personality have meshed extremely well with the veteran players.

I continue to hear that Texas is likely to play more zone than in the past. Why? Because of all the possible lineup combinations and all the length Texas can put on the floor. Now slimmer and quicker and in a better position to play minutes as a "3," Jonathan Holmes can defend wings in a zone. So can Lammert. Prince Ibeh, Myles Turner, and Cameron Ridley give Texas plenty of options down low. Up top, Isaiah Taylor and Demarcus Holland's quickness and length can give guards issues. And we haven't even gotten to a player like Jordan Barnett, who is an impressive, 6-7 physical specimen with maybe the most athleticism on the team. If Barnett proves he can defend and that his motor will always run hot when he's on the floor, he could work his way into more minutes than expected.

Practices were described to me by a source as being intense, highly competitive and very physical. Players are going at each other at every chance, and no one's spot is safe. With so many lineup combinations, Texas is exploring its options. That being said, it's still a group that is going to have a very strong chemistry. (McComas)

On the hoops recruiting front, Texas will host a key official visitor this weekend. North Shore combo guard Kerwin Roach will be on the UT campus for an official visit, and is set to announce his commitment October 24th, his 18th birthday.

The nation's No. 34 prospect overall in the 2015 Rivals150 has already spent time on the Texas campus, and time around the Longhorn players and coaches. So, there really isn't too much Roach doesn't know about Texas at this point.

"I'm just looking forward to seeing the players. I already met them. I want to get the feel of the campus. I would like to see and meet with the academic advisor. I want to computer engineering. They pretty much answered all of my questions [already]," Roach said. "(Rob) Lanier has been straightforward with me. He lets me know who they're recruiting and why. And he's let me know how much they want me. I talk to coach Lanier and coach Rick Barnes. They really don't talk about basketball. Just asking me how life is going and things in general. They're good conversations."

Roach will decide between Texas, California, and Wichita State. He said the highlight of the trip to Cal was the weather, and the highlight of the Wichita State official was meeting Shockers player Ron Baker.

Texas continues to be in good shape here, and has a chance to increase its lead with a strong visit this week right before he announces. (McComas)

This post was edited on 10/16 11:21 PM by Suchomel

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News