ADVERTISEMENT

Inside the War Room (October 29th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
We’ll start the conversation this week with an update on the football team heading into this week’s game against Baylor.

One of the questions I’ve been asked all week is where I think the team’s collective head is after the embarrassing loss to Iowa State at home last Saturday. After talking with a number of sources this week, I think the key word for everyone is desperation.

It’s a word that was used by three different people this week.

“The guys have all responded really well this week, but you can tell that they are desperate for a win,” one source told me. “This is a team that has a lot of good kids with good heads on their shoulders, so they aren’t going to the Twilight Zone after the first tough stretch. But, there’s a level of anxiety all over the place. There’s a lot of pressure this week to win, more than any other this week from what I can see.”

After one source downplayed the effects of last weekend on this week’s workouts, he admitted that the Longhorns are a team that is walking a pretty narrow tight-rope.

“I do think their confidence is shaken a little. The team works hard, but it does kind of feel like they need something really good to happen for them to spring them loose. I guess we all thought that was what Nebraska was supposed to be. In talking with the players after the game (on Saturday), you can see that they are pressing for all the right reasons, but they are still pressing. They’ll be desperate this weekend because everyone is afraid to see what Monday will look like if they lose to Baylor. It’s on everyone’s mind.”

I asked everyone if there was any sense that there were any internal issues within the team.

“Look, everyone is frustrated,” another person in the program said. “Whenever you lose, the little issues that aren’t big deals when you’re winning become problems. Yes, the players are frustrated, but they just want to win. We don’t have guys that are walking around upset for all of the wrong reasons. They just want to win. Everyone is frustrated because winning usually comes pretty easy around here.”

Overall, I haven’t sensed that there’s the same type of internal conflict between young/old players that the 2006-07 teams dealt with. Although the inconsistent play is similar, the young guys in the program were problems back then and that’s not the case with this team, as the freshmen are well-liked.

When asked if there was any fear of a clash between sides of the ball, one person with close knowledge of a frustrated player’s situation told me, “It’s not like that. Everyone is frustrated with their own deal. The offensive players are frustrated with the offense. The defense is frustrated with the defense. Everyone has their own reason for being frustrated, but nobody is hating on the players on the other side of the ball. We don’t have any perfect players on this team and nobody thinks they are perfect.”

Overall, there’s no doubt that there’s a lot of tension in the air, but this team isn’t fractured into the soul like it was back in 2006-07, which is a good thing. Nobody liked anybody back then. That’s just not the case from every person that I’ve talked with. It’s just a team that is pressing and needs some good things to happen.

Or as one person put it…

“It would be nice just to have some fun for once this year.”

We caught up with Scottsdale Chapparal quarterback >Connor Brewer this week to talk about his upcoming visit to Texas.

Brewer and his parents will be heading to Austin today and they’ll return back home on Sunday. The 6-2, 185-pound signal caller will be checking out the UT program, and he’ll also be spending time with his sister Ashley, who is a sister on the Texas swim team (how’s this for an athletic set of siblings … along with Connor and Ashley, there’s a 22-year-old brother who is in the Arizona Diamondbacks’ organization, there’s a 19-year-old brother who pictches for UCLA and a younger sister who will probably wind up playing college volleyball).

As for the visit, Brewer is keeping a level head about the entire recruiting process, but he said he’s very anxious to see the atmosphere at a Texas home game.

“I just want to go over there because I’ve heard from my sister the games are great. She goes to just about all of them,” Brewer said. “I want to see the atmosphere, I know it’s full of tradition. I wan to meet the coaches, I can't wait to see the game, the atmosphere of the game.”

Brewer will also attend the Alabama-Auburn game in Tuscaloosa on November 26. If Texas is going to win out in this one, one has to figure that Brewer’s sister will play an important role. If she’s enjoying her time on the Forty Acres, that can only help UT’s chances.

“I talk to her quite a bit. She’s farther away than anyone else in our family has gone so far,” Brewer said. “She’s said she likes it and she wouldn't have gone anywhere else. It’s the place she hoped it would be. Hearing that from her is good, now I want to see it myself.”

Brewer recently sent in a copy of his junior highlight film to the Texas staff. When I spoke to him earlier in the week, he had not talked to the UT staff to get their thoughts, but he was hoping to discuss his situation while he’s in Austin this weekend.

“I can't wait to meet (Greg Davis) in person,” Brewer said. “He hasn't really expressed number wise where I sit (on their list). All I’ve heard is that they like me.”

Brewer has not addressed the possibility of returning for a UT junior day with the Texas coaches. He is schedule to meet with Mack Brown this weekend. While some kids might be nervous about the prospect of taking what could be an important recruiting visit, Brewer is looking at things from a different angle.

“I'm more excited than anything. I feel like it's going to be fun talking to one of the best coaches in college football, maybe even history,” Brewer said.

Brewer holds offers from Arizona, Arizona State and Nebraska, but that list should continue to grow in the coming months. When it comes time to narrow his focus, the talented signal caller has some areas that will be of utmost importance.

“Definitely a winning program will be up on my list. I want to play for a team with winners, but also has room to improve so I can go in and help them out,” Brewer said. “The coaches will be a big part. I want it to feel like family but at the same time, I want them to get on me and know what they're talking about. A school with great tradition would help. If I go to school, let’s say at Texas, there’s a lot of tradition which makes it a lot easier.

We’ll catch up with Brewer after his visit to get his thoughts on the trip. (Suchomel)

When we spoke with DeSoto offensive lineman Curtis Riser this week, he maintained that he’s wide open with the recruiting process and has yet to formalize a list of favorites.

Riser did mention Texas and LSU as two schools that have grabbed his early attention, but he said he’s not shutting the door on any program that’s willing to show a recruiting interest.

Despite Riser’s public comments, we continue to hear that Texas is in a very good position, and it’s hard to ignore Riser’s facebook comments this week that he’ll be at UT in two years (or the picture of him flashing the hook ‘em in the Moncrief-Neuhaus Athletics Center). We did ask Riser about his facebook comments that were making the rounds this week and he downplayed the significance of his words.

“People are reading too much into that. I always joke around like that. People think just because AJ (Adrian White), Darius (Terrell), Marcus (Hutchins) are there that I’m absolutely going to commit to Texas,” Riser said. “But I’m open to all schools right now. Me and Darius just joke around a lot about that.” (Suchomel)

We’ve talked to a number of current Longhorn commitments over the past couple weeks. During our conversations, we’ve asked the guys for their thoughts on UT’s current season.

The common theme is that none of the commitments seem to be that worked up about the Horns’ struggles. As has been the case with just about every player we’ve talked to over the past decade, the prospects choose to look at the big picture rather than a few isolated games, and they’re able to find a positive in Texas’ current situation.

“It happens to every team. There’s not one team that hasn't had an off year,” said Longhorn offensive line commitment Garrett Greenlea. “The offense has gone through a whole transition, there’s a bunch of changes UT has made. They have to get settled into it, work some kinks out, no doubt. But UT is still a great football team. It doesn't change anything I think of them at all. I’m still a Longhorn, always will be.

“Anything something like this does happen, it’s always an opportunity for the other guys. Once I get healthy again (ACL injury), I’m going to go out there and make the most of my opportunity.” (Suchomel)

Richardson (Texas) Pearce athlete Corey Coleman has the attention of college recruiters including the University of Texas. Coleman did not attend a Texas camp this summer but he said Texas has been by the school.

“They want me to play corner,” Coleman said. “Their defensive coordinator he wants me to play corner.”

Coleman has not played a lot of cornerback but he has played some, and he enjoyed his time on the defensive side of the ball. When asked what his strength was on the defensive side of the ball it should come as no surprise what Coleman had to say.

“Speed,” Coleman plainly stated.

It’s the truth, he certainly has speed, and he fits the mold of a versatile guys Texas has been eyeballing for their secondary over the last few years. (Howell)

El Campo, Texas defensive tackle prospect Joey Hunt has been making the rounds recently. He has already taken trips to TCU, Rice, and the Red River Rivalry as a guest of the Oklahoma Sooners. This week though he will take a visit to Texas.

Hunt has grown up a fan of the Longhorns but until he received the invitation to this weekend’s match-up with Baylor he had not heard much from the Horns. The trip to Austin is one Hunt is excited about.

“I’m just going to a school I grew up wanting to go to, and watch the Longhorns,” Hunt said. “It’s just exciting to go up there. I got invited and they’re starting to show more interest in me and it’s just real fun. “

He plays both ways for El Campo, but is receiving most of his recruiting attention at defensive tackle.(Howell)

Well, the 2012 basketball recruiting cycle is going to include a lot of big names. UT head coach Rick Barnes is never afraid to throw his hat into the ring of any recruitment, and one of the new names the Longhorns need to get familiar with is five-star 2012 shooting guard Archie Goodwin. I was able to talk to Goodwin’s Sylvan Hills (Arkansas) high school coach Kevin Davis and exchange a couple of texts late last night with Goodwin.

“He’s still wide open,” said Sylvan Hills coach Davis. “Kentucky and Kansas were here today on campus. I know he’s talked with North Carolina, Texas, Memphis, Baylor, and Nebraska has been on campus. Arkansas, Ole Miss, and Mike Anderson of Missouri made a verbal offer the other day. Kentucky and North Carolina are watching closely and have said they’ll be back again in January.”

The Sylvan Hills coach reiterated that Goodwin is wide open, but it sounds like the Longhorns are making their presence felt.

“He’s pretty open,” Davis stated. “He’s enjoying the process. Texas has been in, and Rick Barnes came and saw him.”

As for his game, it’s outstanding. Obviously, it’s one of the reasons why he’s rated so highly.

“He’s got an all-around game. He’s definitely a combo guard that will run the 1, 2, and 3 for us,” said the coach of his 6-foot-5 standout guard. “I’ve heard several coaches say he could run the point too. He can flash to the hole and shoot the ball well. Boy is he hard to guard with that quick first step in the open floor. If you don’t respect that he’s gone, but if you lay off him he’ll shoot it. At 6-foot-5 with a 6-foot-9 wingspan, he’s so rangy. Guys are looking at him hard and that’s why. You can do so much with him.”

According to his coach, academics will be no issue for the future college star.

“He’s got a 3.5 strong GPA.”

“I’ve been doing this for 21 years and what really caught me [about] Archie…I noticed that he had something special for coming off the wing,” Davis stated about his star guard. “He averaged 22 for me as a sophomore on a team that started 4 sophomores. They didn’t have varsity experience but as he matures he’s going to special.”

Late last night Archie exchanged a couple of texts with me, and he confirmed that the Longhorns are absolutely interested.

When I asked if Texas had offered, his response was: “Yes sir.”

Goodwin said that he’s been contact with Coach Barnes recently, and it sounds like the Longhorns are one of the many schools that have his attention. And like his high school coach stated, Goodwin said via text that it’s still too early for any leaders. But it has to be encouraging that Barnes has already been to Arkansas to see Goodwin in person. The vibe is that Texas could be a player in the recruitment.

Right now Goodwin is rated as the No. 18 player in the country, and is a prolific scorer that is deadly off the wing. He’s a true combo guard that can handle the rock and excel off the basketball as well because of his ability to knock down open shots from deep. His long frame and wingspan allows him to play above the rim, and also makes him a potential plus player defensively because the 2012 standout can guard a variety of guards. (McComas)

(Final Note: We’ll have a report on the UT hoops team on the board later this afternoon)
This post was edited on 10/29 10:40 AM by Suchomel
This post was edited on 10/29 10:44 AM by DustinMcComas

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News