ADVERTISEMENT

Inside the War Room Part I (September 16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suchomel

Staff
Aug 10, 2001
Sponsored by ...

1034%5C1135733.jpg

Some 5-star recruiting news to start things off ... literally.

Don't discount the Longhorns' chances with 5-star offensive tackle John Theus just yet. Yes, Theus committed to Georgia in July. Yes, things have been silent with the Jacksonville Bolles standout since that time. But that changed this week.

UT OL coach Stacy Searels called Theus on Wednesday night and there's a chance Theus will take an official visit to Texas despite his UGa commit.

"He's in the middle of his high school season so there's not a whole lot to say," said Theus' father, Paul Theus.

"But he told us that he did talk to coach Searels yesterday. He may possibly take an official to (Texas)."

Remember, Texas was in Theus' top three before he committed to Georgia, and Theus' father said his son's relationship with Searels continues to give Texas a legitimate chance.

"He really does have a good relationship with coach Searels. He feels like he could call on Thursday and want to come in on Saturday and they could make it happen," Mr. Theus said. "It's more than just a coach and a recruit. They're more like friends.

"I'll say this. Texas is in contact and he has been taking their calls. There are a lot of schools who he doesn't take calls from if that tells you anything."

Theus, an Army All-American, is also talking to Notre Dame about a possible visit. There have been talks about doing that one sometime during the season. I asked Mr. Theus if the UT visit would happen after Theus' senior season ends (Texas traditionally does its big recruiting weekend in December) but Mr. Theus thought his son may be leaning towards visiting Texas sometime during the season.

There is already speculation on Georgia head coach Mark Richt's job security with the Bulldogs starting the season 0-2. Richt losing his job would almost certainly lead Theus to officially re-open his recruitment, but it sounds like the 6-6, 292-pound standout is leaning towards at least take a few visits to cover his bases.

"If something were to happen and if John would reconsider - and it probably doesn't even need to be a coaching change - there's no doubt Texas would be up there," Mr. Theus said. (Suchomel)

Talked to top UT recruiting target Torshiro Davis on Thursday night to get the latest ...

Things are pretty quiet in terms of earth-shattering news, but Davis did talk to Bo Davis on Thursday night, and he told the UT coaches he'll be at the Texas-OU game as a guest of the Longhorns. He's planning to attend the game with his high school coach and his mother.

"There's not a lot new. I'm just talking to some of the coaches," Davis said.

The 6-3, 222,-pound Davis is still considering LSU, Texas, Alabama and Oklahoma.

"I don't have anything else planned right now. I still haven't set up my official visits yet," Davis.

The Rivals250 member did say he's hoping to take an unofficial visit to LSU at some point this season, although he has yet to pick a game.

As for his conversation with coach Davis ... "He was just letting me know that the coaches still want me to come over there. If I do what I do, I'll probably play as a true freshman," Davis said. (Suchomel)

There has been some talk of things heating up between Texas and Pflugerville Hendrickson athlete Daje Johnson. Johnson, who committed to TCU in March, reached out to Texas but says he has not heard anything back from Texas.

Johnson has previously indicated an interest in Texas, but when asked about his commitment to TCU and if there were any programs he might consider he said the following:

“No probably not. It’s a perfect location. It’s right down the street and my family can watch me play. I know Texas is closer but with (TCU) going to the Big East my mom is in North Carolina and she can watch me.”

A couple notes of interest ... a couple people indicated to us that Texas had put out feelers to Johnson this week, but he maintained on Thursday night that he has not had any direct contact with the UT staff.

Also, it's common knowledge that UT would like to bring in another DB in the 2012 class. Johnson stars on offense at the high school level but he said he actually prefers to play on defense because he feels that's where his long-term future is. He's still committed to TCU, but we've heard the folks in Fort Worth are nervous about this one if Texas picks up its interest.

Johnson has put together a strong season already for Hendrickson with 41 carries for 401 yards and two TDs and eight receptions for 113 yards. He is projected as a cornerback/athlete on the college level. This week he is in action this week against Austin LBJ and the TCU coaches are expected to be on hand. (Howell and Suchomel)

Speaking of TCU commitments, Lake Travis tight end prospect Garrett Gilbert, committed to TCU in March, questions began to surface about Texas and whether or not the Longhorns were interested.

Following his standout performance in Aledo, Gilbert admitted his commitment has not kept teams from showing their interest.

“I’m definitely hearing from other schools and I’m fine with that,” Gilbert said. “I’m really sticking to TCU right now. TCU is such a great school and they have such a great program around them. I really fell in love with the campus. Other schools are still looking at me but I’m sticking with TCU right now.”

Colorado and Cal were the two schools who have really shown interest. As for the Longhorns?

“I kind of talk to the coaches every time I go up and see my brother,” he said. “I’m not hearing too much from them and I’m fine with that because I think I made a good decision with TCU. I’m just kind of rooting for my brother any time I can.” (Howell)

Lots of talk of late about UT WR commitment Thomas Johnson taking other visits this fall, but the Rivals100 member told us this week that he'll likely only visit Texas. UT assistant Bruce Chambers called Johnson recently and talked about UT's preference of having its committed players not take visits outside of Austin.

"I haven't even been thinking about that lately. Right now, I don't think I am going to visit anywhere else," the Dallas Skyline standout said. "As for officials, most likely it will be just Texas.

"If I did go somewhere, it would probably just be to go some place I haven't been. But I think I'm just going to take that official to Texas.

Johnson is hoping to make it to Austin for at least one UT home game this year and he's going to the Texas-OU game in Dallas. (Suchomel)

1. Had a chance to talk with a source that has seen the team in action this week and I asked about several areas of the team that everyone is talking about leading up to Saturday’s road-opener at the Rose Bowl. As it relates to the quarterbacks, he’s optimistic about this week. “I think you know that I’ve not been the biggest proponent of Case (McCoy) and you know I’ve had a man-crush on David (Ash), but I think both are going to do well. If I were to name the things I like about Case, I’m not sure his physical abilities would make the list, but the players love him and he seems to understand the importance of not making the critical mistake. He might not make the big play on Saturday, but we don’t have to worry about the earth moving as much on offense. I think David is going to make more plays each week and eventually he’s going to force the hands of the powers that be to play him even more. This week they are both going to see plenty of snaps and they seem perfectly comfortable with the situation. They might not be the players most responsible for a victory this weekend, but I doubt they’ll be the reason if we were to lose.”

2. As far as Garrett Gilbert is concerned, the source felt like the players have done a good job of rallying to his side in the wake of a tough week. “It’s eating him up, but he’s come in and worked hard this week. The coaches have really had to give a lot of work to David and Case, and you haven’t seen (Gilbert) pout at the sudden change. I think everyone feels like he’ll get another shot. I can’t tell you when, but I think he’s going to get another chance. Even if it’s a Chance Mock situation at the end of a game, there’s going to be a point when we need him to help us win a game and the coaches have made sure he knows it this week.”

3. On Malcolm Brown: “He’s getting better each week and you can feel the energy he gives the team. It’s been a long time since the sideline stops when a running back is on the field for us, but he does that to everyone. They want to see what he’s going to do. Everyone will see much earlier this week. Carries in the first half shouldn’t be a problem.”

4. On the young wide receivers: “There is couple of things going on here. On one hand, you’ve got some young players that seem to have hit a little bit of a wall and the coaches are sensitive to that. On the other hand, (the coaches) are tired of the same mistakes being made and they’ve let the players in that group know that in no uncertain words. The coaches want this group to lift their quarterbacks up this week on the road and if they don’t, they just won’t play. Jaxon Shipley is going to play. Marquise Goodwin is going to play. That’s two the coaches can count on. Everyone else is on the clock.”

A few recruiting notes:

5. Little birdie told me early this week that we shouldn’t discount the idea that a second quarterback could emerge as a need in the 2012 class, depending on what happens at quarterback the rest of the season. It’s not on the table right now, but it’s a consideration if the Longhorns feel like they might be short on numbers in the fall of 2013.

6. The same little birdie believes J. T. Barrett and Tyrone Swoopes are the two names at quarterback in 2013 for the Longhorns, possibly in that order.

7. A different little birdie tells me that the Longhorns opened the eyes of Bastrop linebacker Paul Whitmill recently and are now a serious player in his recruitment. We’re hoping to talk with Whitmill this weekend, but UT made an impression with their commitment to education discussion Stay tuned.

8. A third little birdie told me that fellow Bastrop defensive star Antwaun Davis continues to emerge as a strong UT lean.

9. Finally, things look very good with Fort Worth Arlington Heights two-way star A’Shawn Robinson, who is easily my favorite big man in the 2013 class. (Ketchum)

Note: We'll have Part II of the War Room, looking at the class of 2013, posted on Friday.
This post was edited on 9/16 8:25 AM by Suchomel
This post was edited on 9/16 8:32 AM by Suchomel

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News