ADVERTISEMENT

Inside the War Room Part II - Ketch's Breakdown (January 14th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
With the completion of the most recent LSR Top 100 for 2012 released this week, I thought I would profile the top 25 guys on the list and give some background on where each currently sits in recruiting. Here’s 5,000 or so words on everything you need to know about the top guys.

Here’s the scoring primer:

5.0 - Expected to become a certain Longhorn commitment if offered
4.0 - Texas is a clear leader if offered.
3.0 - The Longhorns are a strong contender, but not an outright leader.
2.0 - The Longhorns are in the mix, but not considered a front-runner.
1.0 - It ain’t happening.

Let’s get started…

1. Mario Edwards (DE - Denton Ryan)

Odds on landing him: 3.0

Breakdown: There was a time when the Longhorns were considered a front-runner for Edwards’ services, but that was back when Will Muschamp was the defensive coordinator and probably before the chaos of the last few months settled in. Suddenly, his pop’s old school Florida State has emerged as perhaps a lead dog in the race. The Longhorns have some work to do, but this is going to almost certainly be a Longhorn/Seminoles battle to the end, and the Longhorns shouldn’t be considered an underdog. It’s going to be a hell of a battle.”

Key quotes: "I'm not going to commit until I go to one of the bowl games, the Under-Amour or something like that. I'll do it there.” (January 11th on Warchant.com)

"I don't have a leader, but there are a lot of schools interested." (January 11th on Warchant.com)

"Just being there with Jeffcoat, he's a defensive end, the same position I play and I think the same side if I'm not mistaken, and he was the No. 1 player in high school so it just opened my eyes that if I really work hard, put my mind to it, and continue to do what I'm doing, I can be the No. 1 player just like him and have a chance to go to Texas as well." (September 27th on OB)

"It was nice to see a defense I like, that Texas-style defense, and how everything operates right there in front of me. I definitely liked it. I was honored to meet Muschamp and Mack Brown. They seemed really, really cool. They didn't want me there as an athlete. They were more concerned in me as a student-athlete. That was a pleasure." (September 27th on OB)

“What really was the big thing for me was talking to Mack Brown, the man who runs it all, and him telling me he wants me to be there to play for him. That was the big thing for me.” (October 1st on OB)

2. Cayleb Jones (WR - Austin High)

Odds on landing him: 3.5

Breakdown: Jones has listed Texas and then Miami and then Texas and then nobody as a leader, but the home-town Longhorns have a lot of built in advantages and a combo of Bryan Harsin/Darrell Wyatt should be just what the doctor ordered. Every big dog in the country will make a run at Jones, but Texas is the team to beat in my mind. We’re talking about a kid that has been embraced by the Longhorns program for years and a young man that has been in for countless visits and will likely make numerous more over the next year.

Key quote: "It's kind of tough. Coaches at Texas are leaving that I like a lot. I've been talking to OU a little, the Oregon coaches came to my high school. Texas Tech has come the most. They watch us workout since they can't really talk to me much. Texas A&M, I have a connection with them. I've been talking to (A&M wide receivers) coach (Troy) Walters, (head) coach (Mike) Sherman. Coach (Bob) Stoops (OU) came by the last week of school." (December 31st on OB)

"It's tough. But I trust coach Mack Brown. Whoever he brings in there is going to be elite. If it's best for coach Kennedy, he has to do what's best for him and his family. The same with (Will) Muschamp and (Greg) Davis, they have to do what's best for them. I understand that.

"There's really no stable position for any coach. They have to do what's best for them. I still love Texas a lot. They're still at the top of my list. There are still other schools I like a lot, but there's no doubting the Texas program in my mind." (December 31st on OB)

"Things like depth chart, school tradition, how the players like the school, and how they like their coaches and I want to be on a winning team. But really you can't really base your decision one thing, there are so many things that go into it." (December 20th on SoonerScoop.com)

3. Trey Williams (RB - Spring Dekaney)

Odds on landing him: 4.0

Breakdown: Williams has been keeping his public comments fairly even, but there’s a feeling from all parties involved that if the Longhorns offer the dynamic runner, it would be very difficult for him to say no.

Key quote: "It's still the same three (Texas, Texas A&M and Auburn)." (December 27th on Aggieyell.com)

"Really, Texas A&M, Auburn and LSU right now would be my top three/ Auburn has been running a lot. They like to run and I like their offense. Texas A&M has shown a lot of love. So has Auburn. The atmosphere at Texas A&M is great. I could really see myself going there. I went to the LSU camp. They had nice facilities, a lot of good backs have come from there." (November 18th on OB)

"I'm getting some letters from them. But it's not that that much, not as much attention as some of the other schools," Williams said. "But I'm definitely going to reach out to Texas. I like Texas." (November 18th on OB)

“I definitely like UT. I'm kind of focused on them right now. Major Applewhite came up here (in the spring). I'm definitely keeping my options open but I really like Texas. It has a lot to do with my family being able to go to my games. The best athletes go to Texas. There are a lot of standout athletes that have come through Texas - VY, Ricky Williams - I want to be a part of that.” (June 18th on OB)

4. Johnathan Gray (RB - Aledo)

Breakdown: At one point, Gray was a guy that some suspected was a silent commitment for the Longhorns, but the events of last season appear to have changed the dynamics of his recruitment, as Oklahoma, Texas Tech and TCU are all in the game as well, and suddenly it’s tough to handicap things.

Key quotes: "It was a great weekend in Austin. We beat the No. 1 team in Texas and we went and watched Texas. It was a great weekend," Gray said. "It was a real good experience. It was a great atmosphere. The fans got into it. It was a great game." (September 12th on OB)

"Their running game is getting better so that's good. Their passing game is still good. They should have a good team this year," Gray said. "Their running game is mostly downhill. I like going downhill in the running game so that's good. And their running backs run hard." (September 12th on OB)

5. Malcom Brown (DT -Brenham)

Breakdown: Texas A&M seems to be the team to beat for the Brenham standout DT. He holds a number of offers and is planning to attend the Texas and Texas A&M junior days.

Key quotes: "As for now, I just want to take my time and see what options come rolling in." (August 9th on AggieYell.com)

"Texas A&M offered me. They all came down here one day and watched me lift weights. "It's close to home and I would like to go there," he added. "It's in the Big 12. There's some opportunities for me to go there and do some stuff on the defensive line." (March 17th on OB)

"I watch like every college team, but my uncle likes Texas and I would like to go there or Oklahoma, or Oregon, or TCU," Brown said. "There are some colleges out there I'd like to go to." (March 17th on OB)

6. Michael Starts (OL - Waco La Vega)

Odds on landing him: 2.0-3.0

Breakdown: Starts is a guy we plan to interview in person on Friday down in Waco, but at the moment he’s listing a smattering of teams that includes Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, LSU and Baylor. According to those in Waco that we’ve spoken with, Starts is pretty wide open to the recruiting process at this point.

7. Derek David (LB - Rockdale)

Odds on landing him: 2.0

Breakdown: I’m still not sure how this recruitment is going to play out, especially with his brother committed to Texas A&M, and James Willis no longer in the picture for the Red Raiders. His recruitment was expected to hold a few twists and turns, and we may very well see that, but he’s been very under the radar as of late.

Key quotes: "I talk to the Tech coaches like every day almost," David said. "Coach Tommy Mainord and then Coach James Willis is the coach that wants me." (September 29th on RedRaiderSports.com)

"I guess what stood out is how many people that were there. You get an out of state school and they still had that many people there. I just watched the game and then left," David said. "The linebackers did okay for the most part but then UCLA started to run all over them. I think they just wore down " (September 27th on OB)

"Ohio St. they have a good head coach and run a great defense and their crowd is real loud. Alabama, I've liked the head coach Nick Saban since I was a kid and they run a tough defense. Texas A&M, all the coaches are cool up there and I like the place. It's okay up there. Texas, it's probably the head coach Mack Brown and Will Muschamp. Texas Tech, I like all the coaches and I like I can get around there. The town its spread out and I liked the town." (June 16th on OB)

8. Curtis Riser (OL - DeSoto)

Odds on landing him: 4.0

Breakdown: Riser has maintained an open position publicly, but there’s a feeling behind the scenes that the Longhorns are the team to beat, especially after a full year of courtship and with the DeSoto pipeline running strong.

Key quotes: ”He’s one of coolest coaches I've ever met. Every time I go down there, (Bruce Chambers is) the main coach I talk to every time. Plus he’s from a high school in Dallas, he’s pretty well known around here.” (January 2nd on OB)

"When (Mac McWhorter) retired, I didn't even really know until my coach told me like two weeks after he did. That was really big at first. But if I made a commitment to a school or if a school was at my top right now, I'm not going to move them off the list because a coach left. But he was definitely a major factor being the coach who recruited me." (December 29th on OB)

“Whoever offers me a visit I’m going to go there because I’m open to all schools right now.” (November 14th on OB)

"I'm interested in all schools right now. I grew up liking Texas and LSU, so those two are definitely in my top group right now. But like I said, I'm open to all schools." (October 26th on OB))

"It will definitely be my gut feeling, making sure that it's the right place for me. I go to church and pray a lot about God letting me choose the right school for me to peaceful. When I feel at peace, I'll know it and that's where I'll choose." (October 26th on OB)

“You go look at (Texas’) facilities and those are A1 class. I haven’t seen anybody else’s because that’s the only college camp I went to. But I don’t think anyone’s facilities are like that.” (June 18th on OB)

9. Christian Okafor (OL - Houston Westbury)

Odds on landing him: 1.0-2.0

Breakdown: Okafor has been looking strongly at Oklahoma and Oklahoma State for a while, but Texas A&M is the in-state school to watch at this point, along with Texas Tech. The Longhorns have not been a factor in his recruitment at all at this point.

Key quotes: "The flyover really surprised me; it was so loud I had to cover my ears. I thought (Tannehill) and the A&M offense looked really good. Tech should have gone to (Steven) Sheffield earlier. But I really like it (in College Station). Everyone's really nice, it's really clean and it's just a great place." (November 4th on Aggieyell.com)

"You hear other schools saying that College Station's a racist town. I haven't seen that at all. In fact, it's the opposite," he said. "I've had people coming up to me, welcoming me. They already know who I am, so I know they follow football really closely. But I feel very comfortable here." (November 4th on Aggieyell.com)

10. Thomas Johnson (WR - Dallas Skyline)

Breakdown: Johnson has reeled in offers from many of the top programs across the country. Texas has shown more interest lately. He has not declared any leaders and projecting this one is a difficult task.

Key quotes: "Academics. What I'm interested in is if all else fails, and I have to rely on my brains instead of my brawn, can I be successful in life even though I lost my athletic ability or whatever? If I got into a freak accident or something, would I still be able to be successful?" (December 2nd on irishIllustrated.com)

11. Matt Davis (QB - Klein Forest)

Breakdown: This is a wide-open recruitment, but if the Longhorns get aggressive and make a full-court press, it seems pretty clear that he would have a strong interest. He’s never really showed his cards to date.

Key quote: “I’m still getting a lot of love, a lot of support from coaches. I’m greatly happy for that. I’m glad that they're still seeing some potential, still seeing the bright side,” Davis said. “A lot of coaches leave messages with my coaches and talk to them. I still get a lot of love from the Auburn coaches, LSU, a lot of SEC schools. I know Texas doesn't do a lot of recruiting for the junior class until they wrap up the senior class, so I haven’t heard too much from them.

“Of course, them being Texas, if you know anything about college football and respect college football, you’re always going to respect Texas. The first time I got a letter from them, I was like 'wow." Texas is probably the most known college football program in America,” Davis said. “It’s one of the most prestigious programs.

“They're definitely there. They want to see me establish myself as a passer, which was another reason I was upset (about the injury). A lot of colleges want to see that, including Texas. I completely understand. That's my goal to prove to everybody that I can throw the football, that I'm not a receiver or a DB. That's what I'm going to work for this summer when I go to the camps, try to prove everybody wrong. (December 3rd on OB)

“Standing out? I can’t really say anything about that because I’ve only been to six. Of the six I visited the ones that standout are LSU, Auburn, and Texas Tech. Those are the three that stood out. There are some schools that are definitely in my head like Texas, OU, Oklahoma St. (and) Oregon. There’s schools like that that are definitely still in my head and I’ll go to them next summer if I can’t go during the school year. There’s a whole bunch of schools out there and I’m still keeping my mind open.” (August 6th on OB)

“They're right there at the top. When you're in Texas, it's all about Texas. If you’re looking for a top program with tradition, Texas is always going to be there. If you don't appreciate a Texas offer, even a Texas questionnaire, you don't know college football. I would like to talk more in depth with coach (Oscar) Giles, (Mack) Brown, (Greg) Davis and (Major) Applewhite, but I haven't had that opportunity. Hopefully it will happen this summer.” (July 16th on OB)

12. Javonte Magee (DT - San Antonio Sam Houston)

Breakdown: Texas, Texas A&M, and Baylor are schools consistently listed high for Magee and the standout prospect plans to attend junior days at each program. He already holds offers from A&M and Baylor.

Key quotes: "I really liked it. When I first got there, they treated us well. They made us feel welcome, gave us a tour of the place. I really liked it.” (November 2nd on OB)

"If I had to pick one right now, it would be Texas A&M as my front runner," Magee said. "Their coach puts a lot of defensive players in the NFL, especially the d=-linemen. I want to go to the NFL too." (September 21st on OB)

"(Texas is) right on their heels. I like their program. They win a lot of championships and Big 12 championships. I would like to have those too." (September 21st on OB)

13. Bralon Addison (Ath - FB Hightower)

Breakdown: Addison has Oklahoma St. high on his list and was recently out in Stillwater. He already holds offers from Baylor, Houston, Nebraska, Oklahoma St., and Texas Tech. He camped at Texas and if Texas gets him in for junior day could make up some ground quickly.

Key quotes: "So far, you know, Oklahoma State, Nebraska, Texas Tech, U of H, and Baylor have offered me but I've just been kind of taking everything slow. My high school season just ended right now so I'm kind of taking everything slow and letting everything die down a little bit and I'm letting the colleges finish their seasons up and then I'll just take the process real slow. (December 2nd on OStateIllustrated.com)

"I'm still trying to get out and see some more schools. I've only seen a couple so I'm just kind of keeping my options open right now. "The schools that are recruiting me the hardest right now are Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Baylor, Alabama, and Oregon.” (December 2nd on OStateIllustrated.com)

“They're a good program. I grew up in Texas, watched them a lot. It would be a real blessing if I do hear from them. If I get the chance to hear from them, that would be great with the type of program and tradition they have.” (November 5th on OB)

"I couldn't really break it down and give a list. I like a lot of schools. I'm such a big fan of college football, it's been my dream to play college ball so I'm just looking at everybody." (September 14th on OB)

14. Jordan Richmond (LB - Denton Ryan)

Breakdown: There was a time when Texas was in total command, but Texas A&M has claimed a position of strength with the coaching changes. Texas is his dream school, but they might have some catching up to do. He’ll attend Junior Days at both schools.

Key Quotes: "I'm hearing from A&M, Auburn, Oregon, Miami. Kansas, Kansas State, Texas, TCU, Arkansas, Alabama, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Notre Dame, and Colorado," he said. "Oklahoma State and Missouri send a lot of handwritten letters. Their whole staff writes me at one. I get emails from Oklahoma State, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Alabama, and A&M." (January 12th on AggieYell.com)

"I haven't heard (Texas) until the coach came down. I was kind of surprised to see him." (January 12th on AggieYell.com)

"I've been invited to junior days at A&M, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma State, and Notre Dame," he said. "I haven't decided which ones to go to yet except for A&M. I think I will make it to theirs. I don't know which one yet, either January 22 or January 29. I want to kind of narrow it down to the schools I want to see, maybe the schools talking to me the hardest. I'm not really sure yet." (January 12th on AggieYell.com)

"I want to kind of stay close to home, but if the opportunity is better if it farther away I will have to take advantage of it. Time will tell." (January 12th on AggieYell.com)

"A&M has to be one of my favorites right now. I love the community and love the crowd. It's a whole different type of atmosphere. They love football and they love the Aggies. That's really cool to see. I kind of like Oklahoma State. I just like their school. I want to find out more about them. Texas has always been a childhood favorite but I haven't heard much from them lately. Notre Dame is my dad's favorite school. I always watched the games with him every weekend. I've always kind of liked them too." (January 12th on AggieYell.com)

15. Tim Cole (LB - Brenham)

Breakdown: He grew up rooting for Texas, but with cousin Jerrod Johnson at A&M he has been cheering for the Aggies more lately. He lists Texas high on his list along with Texas A&M and plans to attend junior days at both A&M and UT.

Key quote: "They've been coming down to the school frequently and watching my film. They really can't talk to me, but they've been talking to my coach and watching my film. They say they like it." (January 11th on OB)

"That's a hard one. I guess I would say A&M, UT, OU, Nebraska, and I'm looking forward to Florida offering. I like how their defenses are." (January 11th on OB)

"I don't have a specific favorite, but basically all of the schools that have offered me are my favorites." (November 23rd on AggieYell.com)

"I like that they produce good players, year in and year out. (UT is) always competing for a number one spot every year. I like that. They have good athletics facilities and a good track record for winning." (October 13th on OB)

16. Timothy Wright (RB - La Marque)

Breakdown: Yet another pretty wide-open recruitment at this point. Wright is one of the more dynamic players in the 2012 class and Texas Tech is the one school listed on his offer list.

17. LaDarrell McNeil (CB - A. Maceo Smith)

Odds on landing him: 3.0-4.0

Breakdown: Texas is a school he’s described as a dream school in the past, but we need to get an update on him because it’s been a while since anyone has talked to him. If the Longhorns offer, it would be very difficult for him to turn them down based on conversations we’ve had previously.

Key quote: "Right now it's Texas, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma. That's about it right now. I haven't just seen a lot or been anywhere. I have just been hearing players that have been telling me about things. That's about all.” (August 10th on AggieYell.com)

“I like the coaches there. I love their DB coach (Akina). They taught me a lot of things that I can use and I taught some of it to my teammates. I love their coach up there. His enthusiasm and the way he works, he really tries to make you get better. I like that about him.” (July 16th on OB)

“I’d say it’s about an 80 percent chance. I like Texas. It's not far away from home. My parents can come and watch and then I just love the orange, the stadium, the excitement. And I know I'll get educated there. I want to go somewhere where I can get a good education in case I don't make it to the NFL. I want to get an education and get a great mind in business.” (July 16th on OB)

18. Kennedy Estelle (OL - Pearland Dawson)

Breakdown: Estelle mentioned early favorites of Oregon, Alabama, Texas A&M, and TCU, but he has been hearing more from Texas. He plans to attend the Texas A&M junior day and he says he is in no hurry to make a commitment.

Key quotes: "The Longhorns, they're cool. If I go there it would probably be better because my family is down here. I'm just waiting to see all my other choices and I'll talk it over with my family." (January 12th on OB)

"I just want to go to a program where I can have people I can relate to and somewhere I can get an education and have fun at the same time and be on a good team with good leaders so I can learn more and get better at the game.” (January 12th on OB)

19. Peter Jinkens (LB - Dallas Skyline)

Odds on landing him: 2.0

Breakdown: The Longhorns were once his favorite, but they have really slipped on his list over the course of the last few months. A&M is the new team to beat.

Key quote: "I would say A&M, Oregon, Texas and Alabama (are my leaders). A&M, I just like them because they're recruiting me hard. Texas, I've liked Texas ever since I was little. Oregon, they're No. 1 and they have nice jerseys. I wouldn't mind playing for them at all. Alabama, I just like Alabama. They're really good." (November 30th on OB)

"I like A&M because everything down there is just good and all the fans love the players and I like how the defense plays because they play with a lot of enthusiasm. It was just a real good experience down there." (November 30th on OB)

"I like Texas A&M, I'm also kind of thinking about Oregon, Texas, Oklahoma and LSU. But I'm keeping my options open." (October 19th on OB)

“Basically just Texas because their whole history of producing good players,” Jinkens said. “Watching them I used to say mom I want to go to Texas. Just to know they really have interest in me and just being with them it just feels right.” (July 30th on OB)

“I just like their passion for the game. They would get so hyped and ready to play,” he said. “I don’t know I just feel like I should be Longhorn. It would feel good. I like the history of everybody who has been there. It’s just a real nice school.” (July 30th on OB)

20. Brian Nance (LB - Euless Trinity)

Breakdown: Oklahoma and Texas have been listed among Nance’s top schools and he wants to make a spring decision. He’s definitely a guy to look for at the Texas Junior Days.

Key quotes: "I'm just starting to pick out some schools that I could spend my next few years and see which program I fit in the most with, I'm just narrowing it down. I'm planning on making my choice in the spring.” (October 6th on Soonerscoop.com)

"I'm narrowing down to like a certain five by a certain time and all together start picking out the schools that I am the most interested in." (October 6th on Soonerscoop.com)

"I moved from Buffalo, N.Y., all my schools that have been favorites are from all over. I'm a person that likes to travel, I'm really looking forward to Florida, Texas, and Oklahoma, and Penn State, they have a great linebacker tradition.” (July 29th on Soonerscoop.com)

"A lot of schools have a winning program but out of all the programs I've just always liked Florida, Texas and Oklahoma. The people that went through all three of those schools are stars." (July 29th on Soonerscoop.com)

21. Mike Matthews (OL - Sugar Land Elkins)

Odds on landing him: 1.0

Breakdown: One has to think Texas A&M is the team to beat with two of his brothers playing there, including soon-to-be-sophomore Jake.

22. Edward Pope (DB - Carthage)

Breakdown: The Longhorns were once his leader, but TCU has emerged as the team to beat and that might prove to be very difficult to change with his brother in the Horn Frog program.

Key Quotes: "I've gone up to TCU with my brother and I love it up there," he said. "I like TCU and he's been talking to me more about it. I like TCU more than any other school right now." (December 19th on Purplemenace.com)

“USC, TCU, and Missouri are my tops." (December 17th on OB)

"TCU (is my leader). I've been going up there for a while because my brother (Jason Teague) went up there, and I've been talking to their coaches. My brother has been talking to me about them a little bit." (July 21st on OB)

"Coach Brown, he's real cool, and that defensive end coach (Oscar Giles), he's cool, and coach (Will) Muschamp, he's real cool. They were mostly talking to Kendall. I got a chance to meet Steve Edmond and a few other commits up there. (June 10th on OB)

"I got to talk to coach Akina. He's cool, he's silly but he's cool. I talked coach Brown's wife. I talked to her for a long time. She's nice. " (June 10th on OB)

23. John Michael McGee (OL - Texarkana Texas High)

Odds on landing him: 3.0-4.0

Breakdown: Texas and Oklahoma appear to be the teams to beat in this one. McGee liked Oklahoma a lot this summer, but it appears Texas has made up some ground and is now in a co-favorite role.

Key quotes: "Oklahoma and Texas are my top two right now. I visited Oklahoma this summer and they made it feel like home, so Oklahoma is my favorite. It's not a big drop-off, but those two are sticking out." (October 7th on OB)

"Growing up, I always watched Texas. Me and my family watched Texas. Basically, it's everybody's dream in Texas high school football to play at Texas." (October 7th on OB)

“I’ve met coach McWhorter,” he said. “He came to my high school at the end of my ninth grade year and saw me walking around and I guess he kind of noticed me. Then this spring he came and he met with my head coach. (June 25th on OB)

“He’s a great coach and I really learned some new things I’ll be able to use this year in football. I’m looking forward to getting to know him a little bit better and keeping in contact with him.” (June 25th on OB)

24. Simon Goines (OL - Keller Central)

Odds on landing him: 1.0-2.0

Breakdown: He already has a couple of offers on the table from Baylor and Houston. He grew up a Nebraska fan and lists Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Oregon as his early favorites

25. Kenneth Marshall (CB - South Houston)

Odds on landing him: 1.0

Breakdown: He’s a Sooner waiting to happen. He’s never tries to hide his love for them for a second.

Key quotes: "College-wise, I've always loved Oklahoma. They've always had a good defense, an okay offense. I'm a defensive guy. They've always had good corners and good DBs and I want to be a DB just like them. They send people to the NFL and I was like, 'I want to go to the NFL too. I want to be just like them.' I just grew up a defensive fan of the Sooners." (March 6th on OB)
This post was edited on 1/14 12:42 AM by Ketchum

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News