ADVERTISEMENT

Instant Analysis: Texas adds some depth at guard (maybe??)

WesMillerOB

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2015
1713131209792-png.5101

Founded by proud UT graduates (Garner, B.S. Geology and Chris BBA and MBA from McCombs), Mercury Exteriors is dedicated to helping Texans improve their homes. Whether it is repairing damage caused by bad weather or upgrading the exterior of a home, Mercury is trusted by Longhorn fans across the state (disclaimer: we will also help Aggies, Red Raiders and Horned Frogs, as long as they behave themselves).

For a free estimate, please contact us at 512-729-ROOF (7663) or info@mercuryexteriors.com.

Hmmmm....

I know some of you are puzzled, and there is a case to be made in support of WHY you're puzzled, but Texas adds some depth nonetheless in landing Vanderbilt transfer Malik Presley.

But is it GUARD depth?

While with the Commodores, Presley averaged 2.2 PPG, shot 42.9% from the field, grabbed 1.6 TRB, and shot sub 50% from the free-throw line. These aren't stats that really jump off the page in a positive way, so I went back and watched quite a bit of film yesterday to get a better understanding of what the staff sees here in terms of fit and rotational value.

Presley is a tweener. It's as simple as that. If you go back and watch some of his tape from last season, it seems as if he's extremely hesitant to take outside shots and once he puts his head down, he's going to find a way to get to the rim while ALWAYS getting back to his left hand. That's not to say this is a BAD thing necessarily, but it's an interesting take for the Horns. There are a lot of situations when a player is at a program and they just aren't happy, whether it's the way they're being coached, the way they are utilized in the system, their path to playing time, etc.

Here's my take...

Presley is a talented player. This does not scream GUARD depth to me. I think if Texas wanted to play big or have a bigger lineup in the game, then yes he could provide some size at the guard position, but I also think he can play a hybrid between a 3-4 regardless if he's a bit undersized. Presley in the right system can be a real mismatch for opposing defenses. He's long, he put on some good weight in his freshmen season, he's physical, he loves getting to the rim, and lefty's are always a bit tougher to guard. He will post up smaller defenders, and is explosive enough to get by bigger guys.

I think they key here is development, development, development. As of right now, Presley doesn't really have an identity as a college player. The staff considers this as a really nice ball of clay that they can mix and mold into a player that will be a fit for everything they want to do on both ends of the floor.

It might not be this season, but I believe Presley will be a quality player for the Longhorns before his time is done in Austin.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News