ADVERTISEMENT

Jeff Traylor udate

Godz40Acrez

Dec 27, 2005
Somewhere undetectable by the NSA
I mentioned awhile back that former TE’s coach Jeff Traylor had a job set with another in-state school. A lot of you thought he’d be heading to TAMU, but it was SMU. He has the associate HC position. If Kevin Sumlin is fired at TAMU after the 2017 season, most expect SMU HC Chad Morris to be a top candidate for that job. Could Traylor be positioning himself for the SMU HC gig in 2018? We’ll see…
[TFB]

------------

I always liked Coach Traylor and appreciated his time here at UT. Best wishes to he and his fam. – G40A

TRAYLOR TO SMU

[Jeff] Traylor has a close relationship with Morris and infused a lot of Morris' concepts into Traylor's offenses at Gilmer HS, where Traylor won three state titles...

Honestly, I think Charlie Strong wanted Traylor to take over the offense when Strong demoted Shawn Watson one game into the 2015 season. But I think Traylor, having just been a high school coach, might've been worried about how the rest of the offensive coaching room would've received him as the OC.

In hindsight, I think Traylor was the right answer and Strong probably should've just gone ahead with Traylor as OC and made the rest of the offensive coaching room accept him as play-caller. Instead, Strong went with receivers coach Jay Norvell as play caller and passing game coordinator and made Traylor run-game coordinator, replacing Joe Wickline.

All the power spread stuff that worked for Texas when the Horns ran the ball down the throats of OU (58 carries for 313 yards in a 24-17 win) and K-State (53 carries for 274 yards in a 23-9 win) in 2015 was Traylor's stuff that he got from Chad Morris and Gus Malzahn and used with great success at Gilmer. (It's also a lot of what Tom Herman runs.)

Traylor helped recruit a bunch of emerging talent to Texas, including CB Kris and LB Demarco Boyd (who played for him at Gilmer), S Brandon Jones, WR Devin and CB Donovan Duvernay, C Zach Shackelford, WR Damion Miller, CB Josh Thompson, CB/S Montrell Estell, TE Peyton Aucoin, DE Andrew Fitzgerald, WR Davion Curtis and OT JP Urquidez (as well as DE Lagaryonn Carson, who ended up an academic casualty).

It may not have gotten recognized the way it should have, but in his short time at Texas, Traylor showed he was up to the task, helping draw up Strong's biggest win at UT (vs OU in 2015) and helping stock the cupboard with players for Tom Herman.
[HD]

Reactions: Bass Elder
Huge, HUGE respect for Coach Traylor, and thankful for his efforts. Am I wrong in assuming all Longhorns feel this way?

Huge, HUGE respect for Coach Traylor, and thankful for his efforts. Am I wrong in assuming all Longhorns feel this way?

Great high school coach and he seemed to be a good recruiter here. Other than that I have no idea as to what his coaching responsibilities were here. Supposedly he was assisting Norvell with OC functions after Watson was demoted, but that not really a bright spot.

I don't really think there is much on his resume that qualifies him to be HC at SMU if Morris were to leave. He may be a future star, but unless he just blew them away in the interview I don't see why they would hand the keys to him. He's only been in the college game two years and outside of recruiting he doesn't have anything positive to point to yet.

Last edited:
Okay question then since all this Chad Morris talk to aggy. Will aggy buy out the rest of the contract for sumlin? Smu has extended Morris contract till 2023. So will aggy go and buy out that contract as well? How much money does aggy really have to make all this happen?

Okay question then since all this Chad Morris talk to aggy. Will aggy buy out the rest of the contract for sumlin? Smu has extended Morris contract till 2023. So will aggy go and buy out that contract as well? How much money does aggy really have to make all this happen?

Whatever it is Aggy can get the money if they go that route. They aren't poor.

I suspect that aggy aint quite as rich as they let on....

They aren't Texas, Bama, ND, or OSU rich but they have enough money to get a coach from SMU (assuming he's willing). With TV contracts these days if you are in a P5 conference you aren't hurting for money. Unless you have to set aside 100mm for Title IX lawsuits or something.

aTm has money....no doubt....and they have a fanatical alumni fan base. That said, aggy is mortgaged pretty heavily.Also, much to their amazement, their brand is not worth that much outside of College station.

They aren't Texas, Bama, ND, or OSU rich but they have enough money to get a coach from SMU (assuming he's willing). With TV contracts these days if you are in a P5 conference you aren't hurting for money. Unless you have to set aside 100mm for Title IX lawsuits or something.

I heard Baylor just took out a Reverse Mortgage on McClame Stadium to pay for their Title IX issues.

Speaking of coaching changes,Sonny Dykes whose Cal team beat Texas twice is heading to TCU as offensive analyst/consultant.Im thinking if Kliff Kingsbury goes down At Texas Tech would he be in line for the job.He will now have experience coaching against Big 12 Teams.His dad,Spike Dykes was well liked in Lubbock when he was coaching.

Great high school coach and he seemed to be a good recruiter here. Other than that I have no idea as to what his coaching responsibilities were here. Supposedly he was assisting Norvell with OC functions after Watson was demoted, but that not really a bright spot.

I don't really think there is much on his resume that qualifies him to be HC at SMU if Morris were to leave. He may be a future star, but unless he just blew them away in the interview I don't see why they would hand the keys to him. He's only been in the college game two years and outside of recruiting he doesn't have anything positive to point to yet.

That's a good take on Traylor.

Didn't he also coach special teams? If so, not exactly a great resume builder given how terrible our special teams were.

Didn't he also coach special teams? If so, not exactly a great resume builder given how terrible our special teams were.
I think it was title only, Strong liked all coaches to be responsible for special teams

sumlin's buyout was too big this yr but apparently (and i didn't ask and am not looking it up) goes down considerably next year. this coming from major ag money guy

sumlin's buyout was too big this yr but apparently (and i didn't ask and am not looking it up) goes down considerably next year. this coming from major ag money guy
15 million to 10 million, it's not just about the Sumlin buyout, Chief amongst others have guaranteed contracts.

I think it was title only, Strong liked all coaches to be responsible for special teams

Yeah you can't trust coaching titles anymore and with all the new vague assistant head coach / run game coordinator / passing game coordinator we really don't have much of a clue what anyone does anymore.

15 million to 10 million, it's not just about the Sumlin buyout, Chief amongst others have guaranteed contracts.

Depends on who they go after as not every new HC necessarily cleans house. I could see someone like Morris keeping Chief.

Depends on who they go after as not every new HC necessarily cleans house. I could see someone like Morris keeping Chief.
Retention is uncommon these days, it would makes sense, but I don't see it happening and he is nearing the walk out in to the pasture.

Retention is uncommon these days, it would makes sense, but I don't see it happening and he is nearing the walk out in to the pasture.

That's true, but unless Morris is fixing to turn around SMU I don't see him getting a lot of big HC offers. Winning 5 games a year at SMU is a good way to take all of that Clemson shine he had on him a few years ago. In which case he wouldn't be in a position to demand complete control. I don't follow SMU to know if they are poised for good seasons in the next few years.

That's true, but unless Morris is fixing to turn around SMU I don't see him getting a lot of big HC offers. Winning 5 games a year at SMU is a good way to take all of that Clemson shine he had on him a few years ago. In which case he wouldn't be in a position to demand complete control. I don't follow SMU to know if they are poised for good seasons in the next few years.
Personally, I thought Fedora had the better path to Aggy, but i don't think he's going to look all that hot without Chizik.

Reactions: bubba2023
when everyone is responsible then NO ONE is responsible. I guess we know why our special teams sucked so bad.
Agreed, but thats how most schools do it. Special teams have so many moving parts and each one is so different, it's usually all hands on deck.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT