Jerrah Colorfully Defends His GM Abilities

Bobble-Head Bevo

Gold Member
Jan 11, 2002
Jerry Jones delivers profanity-laden defense of his ability as Dallas Cowboys GM

Story by Chandler Vessels

Jerry Jones delivers profanity-laden defense of his ability as Dallas Cowboys GM (msn.com)

Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones has never been one to take kindly to criticism of how he runs his team. He once again stuck up for himself in a recent interview.

Speaking with Clarence Hill of AllDLLS.com, Jones offered a passionate defense of his ability to run an NFL team. He even threw in a few f-bombs and other curse words for good measure.

“I’ve done it all. So I have an ordinate amount of confidence that f*ck, if anybody can figure out how to get this sh*t done, I can figure out how to get it done,” Jones said. “I’ve been there every which way from Sunday, and have I busted my ass a bunch, a bunch. And there’s nobody living that’s out cutting and shooting that can’t give you a bunch of times they busted their ass. So hell no, there’s nobody that could f*cking come in here and do all the contracts … and be a GM any better than I can.

“Plus, I’m where the buck stops. When it f*cks up, I got to cover it. And so there you can’t give anybody enough. Can’t give. There’s nobody can do it.”

The setup in Dallas is unusual as typically general manager and owner are two separate jobs. However, Jones takes on both titles and has operated that way ever since he took over the team in 1989.

He led them to Super Bowl wins in the 1992, 1993 and 1995 season but has not made it past the divisional round of the playoffs in the nearly three decades since. In any other case a team would have likely gone through multiple GMs in that span.

However, because Jones is the one who would be in charge of that firing, he’s allowed himself to remain the general manager. He certainly could have hired someone else to take over the role while he keeps his title as owner, but went on to say he has no interest in doing so.

“I f*cking have had hundreds of [bad days],” Jones said. “I’m emotional about it sometimes. Well, running this thing, that’s who I want to make the last call. Now, when I can’t f*cking think, when I’m old and I can’t even do it . . . but I’m a long way from not being able to do it too.

“The reason I don’t let somebody else be the G.M. is because I don’t have anybody that I will let do it to actually do it right. And they’re gonna have to come to me and because I know where it is that you’re going to pay for it.”

Jerry Jones is set to turn 82 in October but apparently is nowhere near ready to step down from the title of general manager. For better or worse, he’ll continue to operate that way for the Cowboys for the foreseeable future simply because that’s how he prefers it.

“If I didn’t give a sh*t, if this wasn’t fun for me to do, or interesting for me to do, whatever you want to call . . . the facts are, I really would rather be f*cking around like this,” Jones said. “The point is I love this. And you know I do.”

Note: I highlighted Jerrah's colorful remarks in Bold font for your reading pleasure.

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.