ADVERTISEMENT

Just a Bit Outside - Baseball Turnaround, Weather Report, Football Helmets, Spring Game & NFL Draft

Travis Galey

@travisgaley
Aug 12, 2012

What a difference a week makes.

One week ago, I posted my column the morning after Air Force bombed the Horns 14-2. That was on top of UT losing a weekend series against Kansas State.

Now the Horns have won five straight (31-13, 9-6 in conference) and are launching home runs at a near record pace. What's more, they look like they're having fun again.

If the Horns end up going deep in Omaha again, this past week may end up being the pivotal moment.

So what changed?

Well, as it turns out, it may have been a series of events that helped spark the run.

THE TEAM MEETING?

Following last Tuesday's loss to Air Force, Coach David Pierce called a team meeting before the Wednesday night game.

Team meetings only happen when things are going poorly – and they rarely turn things around. This time may be different.

“We probably had one of the best meetings that we’ve had since I’ve been here,” said Pierce. "The meeting started with me and reflecting on how I respond to their failure and making sure that they understand that we’re going to grind with them, we’ve got their back. We like competing with them, we’re not their enemy."

“Sometimes an aggressive comment can be turned in a negative when it’s just kind of coaching. So we kind of cleared the air and they responded really well.”

Responded pretty well is an understatement. The Longhorns won their game later that night with a walk-off home run from Shortstop Trey Faltine.

The big bats continued over the weekend with the Horns hitting 14 homers in a sweep of the Baylor Bears (20-20, 4-11).

“We were kind of just having negative energy, coming off those few road losses at Tech and Kansas State,” said First Baseman Ivan Melendez. “We couldn’t like, fill in what was missing. We just talked it out.”

Maybe someone should talk things out with Melendez every week. He was named the Collegiate Baseball National Player of the Week after hitting five home runs in five games, batting .500 with 11 RBI, nine runs scored and an OPS of 1.942.

WAS IT THE WIND?

Another contributing factor could be the strong winds which have helped a couple of those home runs make it over the left field wall.

Keith Moreland and Greg Swindell talked about the fact that they’ve never seen the wind blow out to left field so consistently like they’ve seen this season.

I wondered if that were true so I reached out to Chikage Windler, the Chief Meteorologist at CBS Austin.

“We have had predominantly Southern winds and that’s been pretty consistent,” said Windler.

For those of you who are unaware, the layout of Disch-Falk field means that if the wind is blowing out of the South then it’s blowing out to left field. And that has lead to home runs in bunches.

Coach Pierce says the barrage of 4-baggers has changed how he calls the games.

“It’s probably the biggest reason why we’re slowing our running game down, slowing our bunting game down,” said Pierce. “When you’ve got weather conditions like this, the guys seeing the ball the way they are, I need to make sure I just let them get in there and hit.”

However, the perception of the wind may be stronger than the actual winds themselves.

Windler reached out to the National Weather Service out of San Antonio who said that for Austin, average wind speeds this April have been 10.2 miles-per-hour. That’s slightly ahead of the average April wind speed of 9.3 miles-per-hour.

So maybe the hot streak wasn’t the weather?

THEN IT HAS TO BE THE HELMET!

Of course, if it wasn’t the meeting or it wasn’t the weather, then maybe it was the helmet?

The Longhorns brought in a football helmet as a joke after Pitching Coach Sean Allen was sent to the hospital last Tuesday after taking a foul ball to the face.

If you’ve got a football helmet lying around the dugout, what else are you going to do but use it in a home run celebration? And the boys put that helmet on a lot last weekend.

“I love the fact that they used their imagination and turned it into something else,” said Pierce. “We knew Coach Allen wasn’t going to wear it but they figured out a way to utilize it so it’s part of the group now.”

That will be music to the ears of the players and the fans who all lobbied for the helmet to stick around.

Now we’ll see if that football magic continues when the Horns host Oklahoma State in a pivotal matchup in the Big 12 race this weekend.

Just in case you're wondering, yes - it will be windy.

Chikage Windler says there will be Southeast winds of 5 to 15 miles-per hour on Friday and Saturday with wind gusts of up to 25 mph. Sunday it gets even windier with sustained winds of 10 to 20 mph with gusts up to 30.

So all of you guys in Left Field should get ready to duck because the Hispanic Titanic will be aiming for you!

FROM HORSEHIDE TO PIGSKIN:

Thoughts from the spring game:
  • Quinn Ewers is obviously a Freshman. We all saw his wow moments. Unfortunately, we also saw some of his less than good moments. (Or, I should saw, we heard about them because we missed a lot. Thanks LHN!) I thought he handled the pressure better than I actually expected but he is still new and has so much to learn. He still hasn’t faced some of the exotic pressures that is coming his way this year. Lord knows what Nick Saban has in store for him. But the good is still good enough that I expect him to be named the starter sometime before the next kickoff.
  • Hudson Card’s problem’s last season haven’t improved very much. To me, Card had two big issues last season. First, he took too long to process what was going on. That allowed defenders to close down the open receivers and the pass rush to get to him. Second, his windup is way too long which again, allowed defenders to break on the ball quicker. The first problem can be fixed with time and repetition. Card is a smart guy and when he really begins to understand defenses then he’ll speed up his play and it will be noticeably better. The second issue is a much bigger deal. His long throwing motion will take years of repetitive work to correct.

• Good grief this Longhorn RB stable is something else! We saw some great runs out of this team…and that was without Bijan Robinson playing at all and Roschon Johnson with limited snaps.
  • My knee-jerk reaction is to give most of the credit for the running game to those backs. However, you have to give some of the credit to the offensive line. After all, this same group did a good job opening holes in the running game last season as well. I have the feeling that the makings for a good offensive line are there but it’s going to take one or two of the incoming freshmen to step up and take over in a big time way. There just won’t be ANY depth.
  • If the running backs are the head of the class, then just behind them would be the wide receiver room. That was a coming out party for Isaiah Neyor. Xavier Worthy looked like the stud he is (last year was no fluke). Jordan Whittington, when healthy, consistently moves the chains. Add in Alabama transfer Agiye Hall and incoming Freshman Brenen Thompson and this group is going to be salty.
  • If Texas can combine the skill of the RB’s and WR’s with five-star play from Ja’Tavion Sanders then Sark will have no shortage of weapons to scheme open no matter who is throwing the ball.
  • I remember Ovie Oghuofo getting in for what would have been an easy sack in a real game…and that’s about it. I also heard Barryn Sorrell’s name a lot but I think that had more to do with Lowell Galindo’s man-crush on Sorrell than his play on the field. Beyond that, I didn’t see a lot from the front seven on defense.
  • The secondary could end up being a strong element for this team. I feel like they are still a work in progress in learning to play together but the skillset is there.

NFL Draft Thoughts:

This is starting to feel like the kind of draft where we don’t see any Horns with their names called this year. Mind you, I’m not saying there aren’t any Horns who can’t make an NFL squad, I think there are. I’m just not sure who, if anyone, is going to get drafted. If I had to put money on it, I would say Cameron Dicker has the best chance.

Draft Eligible Longhorns:
  • TE: Cade Brewer
  • EDGE: Ben Davis
  • K/P: Cameron Dicker
  • DB: Darion Dunn
  • EDGE: Jacoby Jones
  • OL: Derek Kerstetter
  • DEEP SNAPPER: Justin Mader
  • OL: Denzel Okafor
  • WR/DB: Brenden Schooler
  • DB: Josh Thompson
  • EDGE: Ray Thornton
  • RB: Gabriel Watson

Out of that list, I think Dicker, Brewer, Kerstetter and Thompson have the best chances of getting a spot in camp somewhere this summer. Notice, I'm not saying they'll be drafted, just that they'll have a chance to compete for a roster spot somewhere.

NFL-Draft-generic-%232.jpg

MY NFL MOCK DRAFT:

After spending countless hours not talking to NFL scouts and GM’s, I have decided to put forth my own mock draft pulled directly out of my arse.

1) Jacksonville Jaguars: Travon Walker, DE, Georgia
There has been so much chatter about the Jags taking Travon Walker with the #1 pick that it is hard to ignore. Plus, it’s such a Jacksonville thing to do. They have the guy they believe is a franchise quarterback and instead of drafting another offensive lineman to protect him, they’re going to take a pass rusher who didn’t produce a ton of stats this year despite being on a defense loaded with players who will have their own names called this weekend.

2) Detroit Lions: Aiden Hutchinson, DE, Michigan
This one just makes too much sense. Not only is he a better player than Walker, he’s a better fit with Dan Campbell’s defense in Detroit. Plus, he gets to stay in Michigan.

3) Houston Texans: Ickey Ekwonu, OT, NC State
If you’re going to roll with Davis Mills as your QB (and why not?), then you better protect him. Pairing Ekwonu with Laremy Tunsil and Tytus Howard is not a bad idea. Seriously, I don’t have a problem with going into the season with Mills as your QB1. He didn’t play bad at all last year. Plus, if he bombs, then you should have a high draft pick next year when there is a better QB class.

4) New York Jets: Ahmad “Sauce” Gardner, CB, Cincinnati
The Jets have two picks in the top 10 so they could go any number of different paths here. But if you’re going to face Josh Allen twice a year, then it makes sense to grab a shutdown corner. Kayvon Thibodeaux makes sense here as well for the same reasons.

5) New York Giants: Evan Neal, OT, Alabama
Giants draft giants. It’s in their name. Neal is a big, big man who can move. He can also play multiple positions on the offensive line.

6) Carolina Panthers: Malik Willis, QB, Liberty
Todd McShay says the latest rumors are that the Panthers are going OT here with QB a long shot. But in my scenario, I don’t see them reaching for Charles Cross so go with the upside of Willis. I know there are many who think they’re going for the more pro-ready QB in Kenny Pickett. But my question is, isn’t Kenny Pickett basically Sam Darnold (who is on the roster and has experience) or Baker Mayfield (who they could pick up cheaply)?

7) New York Giants: Kayvon Thibodeaux, DE, Oregon
You’ve got a new big man up front on the offensive line, now go get the guy who will go against him every day in practice and make each other better. Thibodeaux’s talent is unquestioned but he falls this far over questions about his desire.

8) Atlanta Falcons: Garrett Wilson, WR, Ohio State
Kenny Pickett is a real possibility here but I think the Falcons go with the Austin native for their number one pick.

9) Seattle Seahawks: Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame
Seattle does not do what everyone thinks or says they will do making this pick especially hard to predict. In the end, I sent Hamilton to Seattle because Pete Carroll has shown how much he loves having big time safety’s and there is none better in this draft than Hamilton.

10) New York Jets: Drake London, WR, USC
The Jets are going to give Zach Wilson every chance to succeed…and he needs someone to throw to.

11) Washington Commanders: Derek Stingley Jr., CB, LSU
One of the best cornerbacks in the draft falls to a defensive minded head coach who is thrilled to pick up the talented Bengal.

12) Minnesota Vikings: Jermaine Johnson II, DE, FSU
The Vikings want Derek Stingley Jr. to fall but if he doesn’t then they’ll go with the edge rusher from Florida State.

13) Houston Texans: Jameson Williams, WR, Alabama
Coin flip time again. Seriously, who knows what Houston is going to do? Charles cross, the Mississippi State tackle would make a lot of sense here but they went OT with their first pick so this time they’re going after a weapon. The Alabama WR may be the top wideout in the draft but he’ll fall a little bit because of the torn ACL suffered in the national championship game.

14) Baltimore Ravens: Charles Cross, OT, Mississippi State
I’ve really created a weird mock draft where Cross falls to 14 (that should tell you that I’m going to be way, way off in my predictions…but you already knew that). Still, if this happens, then the Ravens jump on the chance to grab the talented tackle.

15) Philadelphia Eagles: Chris Olave, WR, Ohio State
It’s time for the Eagles to draft a WR with a first round pick…again.

16) New Orleans Saints: Trevor Penning, OT, Northern Iowa
This pick could easily be Kenny Pickett because Lord knows the Saints need a QB. However, neither the Chargers nor the Eagles are going to take a QB before their next pick so they go OT first and take the gamble that nobody is going to trade up to grab Pickett before their next pick. Penning can man the right tackle spot on day one.

17) Los Angeles Chargers: Jordan Davis, DT, Georgia
The Chargers run defense was extremely porous last year so this is a move to shore up that weakness. Davis is a 340 pound big man who is still very quick.

18) Philadelphia Eagles: Trent McDuffie, CB, Washington
After going wide out with their first pick, the Eagles turn around and go DB with their second pick. McDuffie has good coverage skills and he seems to actually like tackling – which is a rare trait for a DB.

19) New Orleans Saints: Kenny Pickett, QB, Pittsburg
I’m not mocking trades in the first round so their gamble pays off and Pickett is still available at 19. Pickett has had a tremendous career at Pitt. However, besides the questions about his small hands (which I do buy into), he also had more time to throw the ball in college than just about any other QB which makes me question how he’ll handle real pressure. Still, what else are the Saints going to do? Continue to believe in Jameis Winston?

20) Pittsburgh Steelers: Desmond Ridder, QB, Cincinnati
Everyone wants to mock a QB to the Steelers, and understandably so. I was tempted to go another route here because the Steelers have traditionally gone best player available. However, they have to do something to shore up the position so they go with the best player available at that position. Devin Lloyd would have been my other choice.

21) New England Patriots: Devin Lloyd, LB, Utah
The Steelers passing on Lloyd is the Patriots’ gain. Lloyd is the best LB in the draft (although some would say that title belongs to Georgia LB Nakobe Dean). Belichick made his name coaching linebackers and he’ll do a good job with Lloyd coming to New England.

22) Green Bay Packers: Treylon Burks, WR, Arkansas
This is another popular pick for the Packers for the obvious reasons. You just traded away Devante Adams so you better spend a first round pick on a WR to make Aaron Rodgers happy. Burks is a yards after catch monster who will do well in Green Bay’s offense.

23) Arizona Cardinals: Zion Johnson, G/C, Boston College
Johnson has been tabbed as the best interior offensive lineman in the draft. The only knock on his is his size. But being slightly shorter might be good for their diminutive QB to see over him.

24) Dallas Cowboys: Tyler Linderbaum, C, Iowa
Linderbaum is the top Center in the draft and he strengthens the interior line for the Boys. This just makes too much sense to me.

25) Buffalo Bills: Breece Hall, RB, Iowa State
This is another one of those picks that everyone is mock drafting the Bills to make…which means they probably won’t. Hall is the top RB in the draft and RB is a position of need for the Bills. Why not give Josh Allen someone who can take some of the pressure off of him?

26) Tennessee Titans: Kenyon Green, G, Texas A&M
This is another pick to fill an obvious need. Green, despite being an Aggie, is a really talented player who can open up holes for Derrick Henry while keeping his Aggie QB, Ryan Tannehill, upright.

27) Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Devonte Wyatt, DT, Georgia
The talent is obvious, but some teams have reportedly pulled Wyatt off their draft boards because of character concerns. But any team that still rolled the dice on Antonio Brown last season, despite every red flag in the world, clearly isn’t going to be the kind of team that balks at character concerns.

28) Green Bay Packers: Daxton Hill, S, Michigan
Hill can play either the Safety position or the slot corner. That kind of versatility is very valuable. And if you listen to draft evaluators, they drool over his skills.

29) Kansas City Chiefs: Jahan Dotson, WR, Penn State
Speed, speed and more speed. Dotson has it in spades. And, I don’t know if you’ve heard, but Tyreek Hill has traded burnt ends for ceviche and Cuban food so this is a pick that fits.

30) Kansas City Chiefs: David Ojabo, DE, Michigan
Ojabo tore his achilles during Michigan’s pro day on March 18th, otherwise he wouldn’t be here at pick 30. The Chiefs can afford to wait for him to get better and when he does, watch out! The Nigerian born, Scottish raised DE tore up the B1G last year with 11 sacks and a school-record five forced fumbles.

31) Cincinnati Bengals: Nakobe Dean, LB, Georgia
I’m not sure how he’s fallen this far. But Dean is a stud who can shore up the Bengals’ defense for years to come. Oh, and they’ll get Joseph Ossai back from injury this year so that should help too. One area you know the Bengals won’t be targeting is Quarterback.

32) Detroit Lions: Matt Corral, QB, Ole Miss
Corral is coming off of an injury but that’s ok because his job this year will be to learn behind Jared Goff

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News