ADVERTISEMENT

Just a Bit Outside: Sark was telling the truth ... were you listening?

Travis Galey

@travisgaley
Aug 12, 2012
"Just a Bit Outside" is brought to you by:

esmgraphic-png.4276

ESM is owned by Brandon, a longtime Orangebloods member, @Elite Sports Memorabilia . Elite Sports Media has THE BEST in Longhorn memorabilia anywhere. You can find memorabilia from UT legends such as Vince Young, Ricky Williams, Sam Ehlinger, Cat Osterman and Ivan Melendez. He also works with current Longhorns such as Quinn Ewers and Xavier Worthy.

You saw him ball out against Rice and pick up YET ANOTHER interception ... now you can get your Jaylan Ford signed jersey - shipped directly to your home.

Ford is destined for the NFL and just like Bijan Robinson's memorabilia has skyrocketed in price after leaving college ... so will Jaylan Ford's. Get it now while you can.

375226130_300068716004510_5904471137646211650_n.jpg

If there is some other kind of memorabilia you're looking for, please reach out to Brandon - he can probably get it.

You can reach Brandon via email at esmsportsut@gmail.com, or on facebook at Elite Sports Memorabilia if you have any questions or would like to place an order.

Social Media
Facebook Elite Sports Mem
Twitter @EliteSportsMem
Tik Tok elite sports mem
IG Elite_Sports_Memorabilia_UT

EBAY STORE:
Ebay Elite Sports Memorabilia UT

JOIN THE GROUP:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/elitesportsmemorabilia/?ref=share_group_link

===========================================================================

1200x0.jpg

Shortly after Steve Sarkisian left Alabama to take over as head coach at the University of Texas, my wife turned to me and asked, “What do you think?”

The one word that immediately popped into my mind after listening to Sark speak was, “genuine.” Whatever you might think about Sarkisian as a coach, he is nothing, if not genuine.

So far, Sarkisian’s interactions with the media have born that out to be true.

Sarkisian mentioned several times that the running game was an area that he wanted to see how it would play out. He wasn’t saying it was a negative, just that he wasn’t sure how the running game would shake out. Those warnings continued even as recently as last Monday ahead of the Rice game.

“I think naturally, when you lose two players in Bijan (Robinson) and Roschon (Johnson) who carried such a bulk of the load for us a year ago, what is that going to look like?,” asked Sarkisian. “How is it going to feel? I think that’s going to be a little bit of a process for us, and that’s okay.”

It’s still a work in progress. Texas wasn’t bad running the ball against Rice, but they weren’t great either.

“There were moments where it looked really good,” Sarkisian told the press Monday. “I thought we started to find a little bit of a rhythm there. But my evaluation of the run game might be different than others. It is, how do we run the ball when they know we’re going to run the ball? That’s really critical. It’s something that we take a lot of pride in, the emphasis with which we do it.

“I thought some of the errors that occurred in the run game, why some things weren’t as clean as we maybe would have liked, we didn’t trust our training well enough. That’s something that we need to improve upon because we can’t guarantee what every front is going to be or what every pressure and line stunt is going to be. So we have to trust our training and use our fundamentals and use our techniques and improve upon those to make sure that regardless of the look that we get that we block it accordingly and that we do it with a level of physicality that is up to our standard.”

In other words, when Sark talks about an area of concern or an area that is “a bit of a process,” then you need to pay attention.

Here’s what you need to pay attention to this week … how will the Texas defense handle the scrambling of Alabama quarterback Jalen Milroe?

“They’ve got a multitude of quarterback runs, whether it’s zone reads, power reads, quarterback-direct runs, quarterback scrambles on third downs. That’s probably the biggest thing that’s the toughest to prepare for, that we’re going to have to spend extra time,” Sarkisian said this week. “How do we control and contain the quarterback with his legs? The rest of the offense is the offense which you see and it’s good. It’s very well designed and they’ve got good pieces. But the quarterback run – and knowing they’re going to run the quarterback. It’s not a secret. What they did in week one is – we’re going to get something different and that’s ok. But making sure that we are accounting for number four in all of the quarterback run games is the real key to the drill.”

Containing a quarterback who breaks loose has been one area that the defense struggled with throughout training camp. Remember the Arch Manning 70-yard touchdown scramble?

“We’re really making it a point to get after the quarterback and we’re seeing the effect of that but we still have to understand our rush lanes, especially on third down,” Sarkisian said following the first scrimmage on August 12. “That is definitely an area for us to clean up and try to minimize some of the quarterback scrambles that came into having big plays on Saturday.

“We want to play more man coverage, we want to affect the quarterback. But when you do that and the defenders all have their backs turned guarding their man, and you get out of your rush lanes, an athletic guy like Arch can split it.”

Sarkisian said it was a problem again against Rice.

“Our rush lanes probably need to improve,” Sarkisian said immediately following the game. “A little more elusive quarterback might have had a few more yards in there when he (Rice quarterback J.T. Daniels) pulled it down and ran it. So we need to clean that up, I can tell you off the naked eye without watching the tape.”

With all due respect to Arch Manning and J.T. Daniels, neither is comparable to Jalen Milroe when it comes to running the ball.

“Jalen is a fantastic player,” Sark said this week. “He’s a tremendous runner. He’s an elite runner with the ball in his hands, with his speed and his physicality.”

Linebacker Jaylan Ford said that Milroe’s running ability will present a unique challenge for the defense.

“It’s definitely a different kind of factor when you have a guy with his athleticism back there in the backfield,” Ford said. “We need to make sure our rush lanes are straight, making sure everybody’s containing him. He presents a different factor when he’s able to use his legs.”

One tactic defenses typically use against running quarterbacks is to deploy a spy who can shadow the QB and keep him from taking off. Defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski may choose to deploy someone like that on Saturday.

“We definitely have a player that, if need be, can fill that role,” said Ford. “So I don’t really see that being a heavy burden for us.”

But Ford wouldn’t say whether a spy would be in the game plan or not.

“For the most part it’s just doing us, staying true to who we are. We’ll definitely have a game plan for how to contain him.”

Meanwhile, ‘star’ safety Jahdae Barron had a little more of a cagey answer when asked about the game plan to stop Milroe.

“Just to kind of play with him,” said Jahdae Barron, the Star DB. “He can do so much, he has a great arm, but he can also run. So, just disrupt him. I think if we can disrupt him, we can make him pass the ball and that’s what we want.”

QUINN EWERS’ TIME TO SHINE …

If you were playing the game of “would you rather … “ you would almost definitely rather have Quinn Ewers as your quarterback on Saturday than Jalen Milroe.

Certainly, Milroe didn’t necessarily want to compete with Ewers for playing time. You’ll recall, Milroe was once committed to Texas but decommitted three days after Ewers announced he would play for Texas. Of course, Ewers backed out of his commitment and started his career at Ohio State instead, before transferring to Austin after one semester.

But I digress.

Ewers had a pretty good game against Rice completing 19 of 30 passes for 260 yards, three touchdowns and zero interceptions. It’s that last stat in particular that stands out.

Certainly, there are areas where Ewers can improve, most notably the deep ball.

But one area where I thought we saw some in-game improvement on Saturday was in Ewers’ composure on the field.

The Rice defense was able to get way more pressure on Ewers than anybody would like (most especially Ewers himself). The Owls came away with three sacks and eight tackles for loss. Even when they didn’t get to Ewers, they had him rushing the process (which led to one of the deep ball incompletions). In short, Ewers looked rattled in the first half.

However, Ewers came out in the second half and looked poised and in control as he led the Longhorns to three third-quarter touchdowns.

Sarkisian praised Texas quarterbacks coach AJ Milwee with keeping his quarterback’s head in the game.

“I don’t know if you guys noticed today but Coach Milwee was on the field for us this year,” Sarkisian went out of his way to point out following the Rice game. “So I thought Coach Milwee and he (Ewers) had a good rapport. I thought that helped when things maybe got a little uneasy, when the protection wasn’t quite as good as we would have liked it to have been. I thought he got himself kind of re-centered.

“That was a real positive for me because a year ago, he got sacked a couple of times there at the end of the first half, I don’t know what might have happened coming out in the second half. Today, he comes out in the second half much more comfortable so he was able to re-center himself which I think shows much more maturity on Quinn’s part, but I think also having that rapport, having Coach Milwee on the field was important also.”

If Rice can get to Ewers and rattle him while playing in a home game, you have to think Bama, in Tuscaloosa, will be looking to do the exact same thing.

Milwee being on the sideline, being able to see into Quinn’s eyes and catch the cues that Quinn isn’t saying, could go a long way toward making sure that the quarterback stays focused on the game and not letting the Bama d-line or the Bama crowd get to him.

BREAKING DOWN BAMA …

If you want to learn more about what to expect from Alabama this week, check out the latest episode of the “Get Your Horns Up” show. Kennington Smith III, the Alabama beat writer for The Athletic, gave some excellent insight into the Tide.

SEC CAN’T COME SOON ENOUGH

Much has been made about Big 12 Commissioner Brett Yormark encouraging Texas Tech to beat Texas this year. Obviously, that has led to many fans question whether the same directive has been given to the league’s officiating crews as Texas plays out its last season in the Big 12.

While I’m not much of a tin foil hat kind of guy … there were some questionable calls in week one so I have decided to track those kinds of calls from Big 12 crews this season.

RICE – WEEK ONE – BIG 12 CREW:
Referee: Tutashinda Salaam
Umpire: Bill Bishop
Linesman: Matt Burks
Line judge: Kelly Deterding
Back judge: Christopher Alston
Field judge: Rich Almeroth
Side judge: Eric Hartman
Center judge: Charlie Hurd
Replay Official: Jack McDonald

Interestingly, all three questionable calls involved Xavier Worthy.

The first was a play that was actually reviewed and still called incomplete even though the ball never touched the ground. (Forgive my crude video skills ... I'm no @Nash Talks Texas )

giphy.gif

The next two both involve pass interference plays that were not called.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Is it all a conspiracy or just plain bad officiating? Sometimes it is hard to tell the difference.

THE GALEY POLL

366178111_1990840544602161_3098663526569831264_n.jpg

Screw the AP and the Coaches poll … the ONLY poll that matters is the Galey poll. This is my official/unofficial ranking of college teams following week one games.

RANKTEAMPREVIOUS RANKING
1GEORGIA1
2MICHIGAN2
3ALABAMA4
4OHIO STATE5
5FLORIDA STATE10
6PENN STATE6
7WASHINGTON7
8UTAH16
9USC8
10TEXAS11
11TENNESSEE15
12KANSAS STATE12
13OREGON STATE14
14NOTRE DAME13
15LSU3
16NORTH CAROLINA19
17OREGON17
18WISCONSIN18
19TEXAS A&M20
20COLORADOUNRANKED
21OUUNRANKED
22DUKEUNRANKED
23OLE MISS24
24TULANEUNRANKED
25CLEMSON9

THOUGHTS ON MY POLL: (and yes, I hear it … )

Florida State deserves a big jump after what it did to LSU in Orlando Sunday night. The Seminoles came out in the second half and absolutely dominated.

Utah gets the big jump not just because they beat a bad team (Florida) at home, but because it was able to do that even while playing its backup quarterback. That team is tough and physical and it will only get better once Cam Rising returns. I know this, USC definitely does not want any of that smoke right now.

Speaking of USC, it's going to win a lot of games because of Caleb Williams and that offense. But the defense still sucks, even after bringing in a lot of talented players in the transfer portal. It’s possible Alex Grinch doesn’t make it to Christmas (which he would probably be okay with anyway …).

Texas is in my top-10 but it didn’t earn a big jump with the way it played against Rice. Go on the road and beat Alabama and the polls will take care of themselves.

What has Notre Dame done to deserve jumping ahead of Texas in the AP poll?

LSU was playing without its best defensive lineman against FSU. The Tigers will be just fine this year.

Congratulations to Mack Brown for being the first head coach in D-1 history to get 100 wins at two different schools. I very foolishly picked Spencer Rattler to beat UNC last week. What the heck was I thinking?

All Colorado did was take more than 50 players who weren’t even in Boulder for spring practices, go on the road to face the team that played for a national championship last season and won. Coach Prime and the Buffs deserve all of the attention they’re getting.

Ditto what I just said for Duke. Finally the college football world is opening its eyes to just how good quarterback Riley Leonard is. Also, it turns out, Mike Elko isn’t just a damn good defensive coordinator, he’s turning into a damn good head coach as well.

I’ve never much cared for Dabo Swinney. He has been very sanctimonious about players transferring in the portal. It turns out, he’s just been cutting off his own nose to spite his face. There was a little bit of schadenfreude for me in seeing Clemson lose to Duke in week one. We’ll see if they can hold on to their very tenuous spot in the Galey poll.

TWEETS OF INTEREST

There is a LOT on the line for Texas this weekend … not just for the 2023 team, but for future teams as well. A lot of the players that will be guests of Alabama will be keeping their eyes on the Horns as well.

############################

I expect to see a lot more RPO plays this week than as opposed to what we saw versus Rice. And yes, Sark has said there are absolutely plays that he held back in week one, saving them for Bama. Of course, Saban will have done the same thing.

These TCU fans absolutely brought this upon themselves.

Speaking of Clemson, I really expected more out of a Garrett Riley offense with Cade Klubnik at the helm. Instead, what we got was … grandpa.

Dad of the year?

Kudos to our own @Hornius Emeritus for this one. I had no idea that “Margaritaville” was written in Austin. I absolutely love that the song that came to define Jimmy Buffet has a Texas connection. Rest in peace Jimmy.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News