Just a Bit Outside: Thankful for the best RB tandem in a long time...maybe ever (via SaltySouth Fishing Charters)

Travis Galey

@travisgaley
Aug 12, 2012
When it comes to booking your next outdoor excursion, look no further than Salty South Fishing Charters in southern Louisiana. Based out of Houma, LA, Salty South offers inshore fishing trips for both Trout and Redfish with top of the line tackle and lodging.

Contact Austin to book your trip today!
(985) 264-5003
saltysouthfishingcharters@gmail.com

saltysouth1-png.3238

===========================================================================

It is Thanksgiving and though it might be cliché and trite, I think it’s important to observe the ritual, sit down and think about things for which we’re grateful.

Despite all of the grumbling the Longhorn super fans on Orangebloods have, week in and week out, there is something that all of us can be thankful for this year.

The 2022 Texas Longhorn season may end up being remembered as the time fans enjoyed watching the best running back duo since Priest Holmes and Ricky Williams.

RoschonJohnson2_hnPsS.png

There’s Bijan Robinson – the super-natural talent.
And Roschon Johnson – the leader.

Johnson_Roschon_014.jpg

We still don’t know if Johnson is going to get to play in the senior day game at DKR Friday after getting injured in last week’s Kansas game. But we do know that this won’t be the last opportunity for Johnson to suit up and play football. That dude is going to be cashing checks in the NFL next season.

“He probably could be starting at a lot of other schools,” head coach Steve Sarkisian said when asked about his backup running back. “But yet, what does he do? He maximizes his opportunities every time he gets it. You know? He doesn't count his reps, he makes his reps count.”

But while Sarkisian is quick to sing the praises of Johnson’s skills on the field, he is even more effusive in his praise of Johnson – the man.

“When you talk about what is the Texas Longhorn football player in my mind, I think of Roschon Johnson because he's a selfless player,” Sarkisian said. “Every time I meet with a young player, I always reference you know, how can you be more like him? That's what your goal should be because that guy goes about it the right way. And he's got a bright, bright future on the football field, but he's got probably even a brighter future off the football field because of who he is as a person.”

Sarkisian went on to say that he “owes” a lot to Roschon because he was one of the players who helped lead the rest of the team into buying into Sark’s approach.

The rest of the team looks up to Johnson as well.

“He’s been everything to this program,” said starting running back Bijan Robinson. “Ro’s the example of what Texas football is all about. His leadership, just him as a person and just how he handles himself.

“He’s helped me out a lot throughout this whole journey that I’ve had.”

BIJAN ROBINSON

FB_at_KU_OPR031__1__jWrZK.jpg

What a journey it has been for the super-natural talent.

“He’s a freak of nature,” said quarterback Quinn Ewers following last Saturday’s win over Kansas. “That’s as simple as I can put it.”

Robinson’s performance against Kansas was the best performance of his career. It was one amazing run after another.

That included a moment where Robinson defied gravity.

“I was blocking my guy and I look up and I see Bijan just levitating,” UT center Jake Majors said. “I was just like, ‘wow!’”

It’s easy to be awed by the talent. Robinson does things on the football field that just simply shouldn’t be done.

But it is easier to root for Bijan the man.

Still, Sarkisian doesn’t want anyone to think that Bijan is doing it on talent alone … or that he’s a nice guy on the field too.

“He’s such a nice human being, and sometimes he doesn’t get enough credit for the competitive spirit that he has,” Sarkisian said. “You don’t get to where you’re at in your career by just being talented.”

After the Kansas game, Robinson was talking about how important it is for this team to go out and win Friday against Baylor and give the seniors a good memory during their last game at DKR.

As he started to leave, I asked if this would be his last game at DKR as well. He just smiled and said he was keeping that to himself.

Texas fans should be thankful this year that they get one last chance to watch Bijan and Roschon take the field at DKR. There may never be another pair like them.

GOING BOWLING...

316304447_687307806128505_7880407043615563793_n.jpg

I’m going to post the bowl projections but here’s the way I see it. Texas will play in either the Sugar Bowl or the Alamo Bowl.

If Texas makes the Big 12 Championship game, then it will go to the Sugar Bowl no matter what. If Texas wins the title, then it will be in the Sugar Bowl as the Big 12 champs. If Texas loses in the title game then TCU will be in the playoffs and Texas will fill in as the Big 12 representative in the Sugar Bowl. Incidentally, LSU is the most likely opponent either way.

If Texas does not make the Big 12 Championship game then Kansas State will go to the Sugar Bowl and Texas will go to San Antonio. I don’t see any way the Alamo Bowl passes up on UT in favor of Oklahoma State or Baylor.

At the very least, Texas will be in the Cheez It Bowl. And as much as I love the cheez it yelling that he woke up feeling the cheesiest, I don’t really want to see that commercial 20 billion times during the game.

ESPN

Valero Alamo Bowl
Alamodome (San Antonio)
Dec. 29, 8 p.m., ESPN and the ESPN App

Bonagura: Texas vs. Oregon
Schlabach: Texas vs. Washington

THE ATHLETIC

Valero Alamo Bowl
Alamodome (San Antonio)
Dec. 29, 8 p.m., ESPN and the ESPN App

Texas vs. Washington

SPORTS ILLUSTRATED

TaxAct Texas Bowl
NRG Stadium (Houston)
Dec. 28, 8 p.m., ESPN and the ESPN App

Texas vs. Arkansas

CBS SPORTS

Valero Alamo Bowl
Alamodome (San Antonio)
Dec. 29, 9 p.m., ESPN and the ESPN App

Texas vs. Washington

AMONG THE THINGS I’M THANKFUL FOR…

bethankful2.jpg

I just wanted to wrap this up by letting you all know just how thankful I am for each and every one of you.

I have enjoyed, more than words can express, the opportunity I have to write about Texas sports for Orangebloods.com.

So, I want to thank @Ketchum @Suchomel @Anwar Richardson @Alex Dunlap and @BlakeSkaggs for all of their support.

But most importantly, thank you all for being the weird, dysfunctional, welcoming and helping hoard of Texas fans that you are.

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.