ADVERTISEMENT

Just saw AP on MNF- If he came to Texas in 2004 instead of OU

.....Texas wins 3 nattys in a row.

Clob out.
he said the only reason he didnt come was because When he asked if he could compete for a starting position Mack Brown told him they were loyal to Cedric Benson coming back for his Senior year, but after that he could compete. So he went to OU. HE WANTED to come to Texas...damnit Mack

who knows but it's not as though we ended up with garbage. benson in 04. selvin, ramonce and jamaal charles in 05. jamaal in 06. i know this-- we ended up with a natty, and he ended up with 0. so screw him.

Reactions: oldhorn2
.....Texas wins 3 nattys in a row.

Clob out.
Yep one of many mistakes Clown Brown made missing out on . I can think of more that wanted to be Longhorns RG3, Johnny Manziel , Drew Brees the first two was told they could be defensive backs at Texas instead of Heisman QB’s.

he said the only reason he didnt come was because When he asked if he could compete for a starting position Mack Brown told him they were loyal to Cedric Benson coming back for his Senior year, but after that he could compete. So he went to OU. HE WANTED to come to Texas...damnit Mack

Bomar was the same way we could of had both and how do I know this I went to high school with Bomar.

Bomar was the same way we could of had both and how do I know this I went to high school with Bomar.
Screw bomar very hard, too. His dad said he went to Oklahoma because mack couldn't win championships. That didn't prove to be prophetic. How'd his little career work out for him? I'll take colt, thanks

Yep one of many mistakes Clown Brown made missing out on . I can think of more that wanted to be Longhorns RG3, Johnny Manziel , Drew Brees the first two was told they could behere defensive backs at Texas instead of Heisman QB’s.
Wasn't rg3 the same class as Gilbert? Every coach in the country would've taken Gilbert over rg3 at the time. 100% of them. Brees flourished as the forerunner to modern offenses but I believe he graduated in 95 or 96, so I'm pretty sure mack had nothing to do with him not being here. And even if I'm wrong, it's not as though mack was the only one to miss on him or he wouldn't have ended up at Purdue. Manziel was a known pain in the behind in high school. I knew that. But I only lived 60 miles away. These aren't the misses you want to use to denigrate the guy that made Texas relevant again

Wasn't rg3 the same class as Gilbert? Every coach in the country would've taken Gilbert over rg3 at the time. 100% of them. Brees flourished as the forerunner to modern offenses but I believe he graduated in 95 or 96, so I'm pretty sure mack had nothing to do with him not being here. And even if I'm wrong, it's not as though mack was the only one to miss on him or he wouldn't have ended up at Purdue. Manziel was a known pain in the behind in high school. I knew that. But I only lived 60 miles away. These aren't the misses you want to use to denigrate the guy that made Texas relevant again
This...100%, especially Manziel.
I used to work with schools across Texas and some of the coaching Staff I knew told me the same thing you said.
They said Texas doesn't want any of that trouble and wouldn't recruit him for that reason.
They were right.

RG3 just came at the wrong time for UT with Gilbert being around.

And like you said...VERY few people were recruiting Brees at that time.
I'm not 100% sure but I thought I remember he was also injured during his Senior season or got injured and that also effected his recruiting.

AP...absolutely said he didn't come because he wanted to win National titles and his chances were better at OU.

It's not like Benson was a scrub.
And I have no doubt he would have played, just maybe not started his first year.

This...100%, especially Manziel.
I used to work with schools across Texas and some of the coaching Staff I knew told me the same thing you said.
They said Texas doesn't want any of that trouble and wouldn't recruit him for that reason.
They were right.

RG3 just came at the wrong time for UT with Gilbert being around.

And like you said...VERY few people were recruiting Brees at that time.
I'm not 100% sure but I thought I remember he was also injured during his Senior season or got injured and that also effected his recruiting.

AP...absolutely said he didn't come because he wanted to win National titles and his chances were better at OU.

It's not like Benson was a scrub.
And I have no doubt he would have played, just maybe not started his first year.
Yep, Manziel was a known turd. He wasn't the kind of guy you want to go all in on as your QB recruit for that year. He had a bigger chance of screwing up than he did to succeed.

Although he ended up being successful on the field in college, I do believe he did some harm to A&M's culture that is still lingering there to this day. After watching his Untold documentary on Netflix you can clearly see that he did what he wanted and had no repercussions. From the excessive partying, the drugs, skipping meetings, not studying the playbook, he set the culture in that program. Sumlin couldn't reel him in and everyone enabled him. He gave A&M the "party school" reputation and it attracted the wrong type of recruits and they are still dealing with it. He gave them a good season and a heisman but he started the culture rot at the same time. The fans/boosters tasted the short success of being a hot program that they became addicted and are throwing out rediculous amounts of money on coaches and players because they are still chasing that high that he brought. They became junkies.

Screw bomar very hard, too. His dad said he went to Oklahoma because mack couldn't win championships. That didn't prove to be prophetic. How'd his little career work out for him? I'll take colt, thanks

Mack Brown also never came to Gp like blowu did and took over the practice for the whole day. And when Bomar went to Norman to tour the campus they laided out the red carpet they didn't even let Bomar step into a puddle of water they took off their jacket and laid it down so he could walk on it. There is much more ill let your mind wonder on that one. And the Yankees were heavily scouting him and wanting him.

Mack Brown also never came to Gp like blowu did and took over the practice for the whole day. And when Bomar went to Norman to tour the campus they laided out the red carpet they didn't even let Bomar step into a puddle of water they took off their jacket and laid it down so he could walk on it. There is much more ill let your mind wonder on that one. And the Yankees were heavily scouting him and wanting him.
I know non-athlete students who were given regular student tours of the campus and Texas’s was boring and no big deal where ou’s was fun and much more engaging. Not my words

Did they fly him in on a private jet into OKC, have a platinum blonde named "Shelley" pick him up in a brand new Crimson red mustang 5.0 and drive him 115 mph back to campus to meet with the staff while Brian Bozworth was on the conference call phone, then whisk him away to a lakeside townhouse where he spent his entire recruiting trip (aside from dinners) balls deep in Shelley?

Just curious.

• Haha
Reactions: mr6369m
From what I was told, Coach Brown and Manziel's parents did not see eye to eye on certain conditions the Manziel's wanted..besides the position Johnny wanted to play.

Did they fly him in on a private jet into OKC, have a platinum blonde named "Shelley" pick him up in a brand new Crimson red mustang 5.0 and drive him 115 mph back to campus to meet with the staff while Brian Bozworth was on the conference call phone, then whisk him away to a lakeside townhouse where he spent his entire recruiting trip (aside from dinners) balls deep in Shelley?

Just curious.

There was more than 1 blonde he did get flown into Norman, he did get a limo and got a brand new Tahoe his senior year.

Yep one of many mistakes Clown Brown made missing out on . I can think of more that wanted to be Longhorns RG3, Johnny Manziel , Drew Brees the first two was told they could be defensive backs at Texas instead of Heisman QB’s.
Andrew luck was another that Mack missed on

who knows but it's not as though we ended up with garbage. benson in 04. selvin, ramonce and jamaal charles in 05. jamaal in 06. i know this-- we ended up with a natty, and he ended up with 0. so screw him.
He got screwed out of a Heisman as atrue freshman

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT