ADVERTISEMENT

K-state coach talks Texas: Chris Klieman (video & bullet points)

SWTHORN123

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2008
Austin, TX

Highlights...

Overall on Texas

I always think they look good. I always think they've got really good talent. I think this might be the best Texas team that I've seen in my five years here, collectively. And when I say that it's because I don't see any weakness on either side of the line of scrimmage or in special teams. And I think their team is playing with a ton of confidence. They believe they're going to be successful. They're very disruptive on both sides of the line of scrimmage and a lot of guys we played against. I know there's a couple that have gone but a lot of guys that we played against within their skill set, tight ends and wide receivers. And then a lot of the defensive guys returned from last year as well.

Texas physicality
It's gonna be a huge challenge for us. One that we have to be able to accept, we've got to do what we do. We can't reinvent the wheel and say, it's gonna be hard to move these guys up front, no question about it, but we can't say hey, we're gonna abandon what we've done and try to gimmick different things to try to be successful especially on offense. That's not us. We have to be able to effectively run the football, is that with the quarterbacks is that with wide receivers on jets? Is it with running backs? Is it gap schemes, zone scheme? We've got to be efficient throwing the football. And then biggest thing that we've had some success with the last few weeks is staying on the field. You know, we've been 10 of 13 and 10 of 14 the last couple of weeks. We can't afford to be three of 13 and three or 14 or it's going to be a long day for us.

On KSU playing two QBs
As I look at it, I think it's difficult to prepare for but in the same respect. I don't know if our offense changes. Maybe the emphasis of some of our plays potentially change. But it's not like we're going away from what we do with our run game running some gaps game and zone scheme. I think two things that have helped us, one, Will is really running the ball well and Avery's made some big time throws which helps maybe throw off maybe what people think we're going to do. I thought Avery made as good a play. As I've seen a quarterback, especially young guy make when he found Swanson on a third down where it looked like he could tuck it and run and kept his eyes downfield, that's hard to do and that was a big time play. That I know he's going to grow and learn from and see that and realize what an impactful play that was but both guys have a really good skill set and both guys can continue to help lead our offense.

Texas and their defensive front (not much mention of secondary? 🤔)
Just the front four, the defensive tackles are very disruptive, the defensive ends are long, athletic, get off blocks and their linebackers hit things down the hill, they run through, you know, we can target guys and maybe think we know who's going to get to a backer or a safety, whatever it may be. It's sustaining the blocks and that's where we're going to have to strain really well on Saturday. And hold blocks and that's a sign of a terrific run defense that they know you have to sustain the blocks and they're not gonna allow it they do a great job with block destruction. They do a great job of keeping separation and not allowing you into their bodies and then their fits. I mean, that's the thing that we've done a really good job on defense of knowing our fits, knowing, you know, who's in each gap, knowing where I can miss, knowing where my help is coming from. That's something that you can tell this defense is really experienced, their staffs done a great job. They got a tremendous staff on both sides of the ball, but they're really well coached and the guys are playing at a high level.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News