ADVERTISEMENT

Longhorns Baseball: Texas Longhorns vs McLennan Athletics Postgame Recap & Thoughts

MichaelRochman

Aug 2, 2021
The 2021 fall baseball season continued rolling for the Texas Longhorns in a 15-4 victory over the McLennan Athletics in a 14 inning pre-season match. The Longhorns lead 6-4 after the regular nine.

Pitching:

In to start the game was RS Sophomore LHP, Pete Hansen, he delivered two innings of solid work to begin the game, in the second inning he faced some adversity with runners on second and first, but was able to escape trouble when the batter hit a soft grounder back to Hansen that resulted in a 1-6-3 double play to end the outing for Hansen.

In relief, we saw another plethora of pitchers including: RS Freshman RHP Travis Stehle, RS Freshman RHP LeBarron Johnson Jr, RS Junior RHP Coy Cobb, RS Junior RHP Jace Hutchins, RS Junior RHP Daniel Blair, Freshman RHP Joshua Stewart, RS Sophomore RHP Jared Southard all saw action in the nine innings. RS Sophomore RHP Andre Duplantier II and RS Sophomore RHP Zane Morehouse also made outings in the 10th and 12th innings respectively, and impressed in that time.

Hitting:

The Longhorns continued to impress with their bats on Sunday, putting together a total of 15 runs, but it is important to state that the majority of their runs came in the additional five innings played. Still, tallying six runs through nine innings is a quality showing for the UT lineup.

Catcher Silas Ardoin got focus last game, and the attention continues here for the stud catcher as he drew a couple more walks, and also added on a couple of hits. One of those hits was a solo shot over the right centerfield fence to push the game to a 5-1 Longhorns lead.

Special shout out has been earned by Sophomore 2B, Mitch Daly, who went ⅓ on the day, with a nice single. I would be lying though if I didn’t say the most impressive part of his game today was his hustle on what seemed like an easy fly ball. Thanks to his effort (and a sun-related error) Daly was able to round the bases all the way to third, he went on to score the next at bat after a Messinger single brought him home.

Orangebloods Spotlight:

It was an 0/5 day for Melendez at the plate, he had some issues getting good power on the ball, leading to strikeouts and simple groundouts on the day. It’s baseball, and down days are to be expected, but they’re never enjoyable when they come. In the field it was a mixed bag, some nice moments like the double play to end the 2nd inning. However, there were a few plays that drew Melendez off the bag, and while I don’t blame him as much, I still think they are issues to be worked through.

Rochman Grade: D, again I want to reiterate, this is not indicative on what to expect from Melendez for the season, but today wasn’t good. The fall season has three outings left before the focus shifts to the spring, but hopefully we see some sparks for Melendez to feel more amped on expectations for the power hitting first baseman.

Player of the Game:

Senior 3B, Skyler Messinger takes the title of player of the game today. The Kansas transfer slapped in 5 RBIs including a 110 MPH home run to drive in two runs. Messinger had a total of three hits on the day, and should be a key part of the Longhorn lineup this year. While it’s hard to declare just one top guy in a game with a game of 15 runs, Messinger’s star performance made it an obvious choice.

Outlook:

I’ll be honest, today’s game wasn’t as clean as the victory over San Jacinto. The Longhorns were in a tight game and both the fielding and pitching felt a little less controlled than it had last Sunday. Too many throws took Melendez off at first, and there were a few pitches that seemed a bit less handled than usual. Still, there is plenty of reason to be excited about a game like today, and the wrinkles should very well iron out by the time the season gets here.

Up Next:

Attention turns from the ordinary exhibition matches, to the Fall World Series. The dates of the event are on the 3rd, 5th, and 6th of November. The Fall World Series will feature the Orange and White teams as usual. No word yet on rosters for the event, but I will try to keep the forums updated once word comes through on the teams.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News