ADVERTISEMENT

Longhorns continue to be a contender for a top defensive target

Cole Patterson

Gold Member
Jul 21, 2021
FqJmmA5WABUuY4u.jpeg

Payton Pierce remains one of the top targets for Texas and several programs in the region at the linebacker position. Pierce is a four-star prospect that shines on the gridiron and wrestling mat at Lovejoy in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex.

The Longhorns have long been a factor in Pierce’s recruitment, even before it took off. Assistant coach Jeff Choate has developed a strong connection with the touted linebacker over the course of the process. That’s something that stands out to Pierce.

“He’s one of my favorite coaches,” Pierce told OB about Choate. “One of the closest relationships that I have. He started recruiting me early. He’s been there since the beginning of my recruiting process.”

Pierce has been a regular visitor to the 40 Acres throughout his recruitment. He has been inside DKR for games and on campus for junior day visits. He was most recently in Austin in January prior to the Febuary dead period.

“I got to go through meetings and meet some of the players, like Anthony Hill,” Pierce said. “It was a good visit. I had a good time.”

The next step for the Longhorns is to get Pierce back around the coaches this spring. Pierce is set to visit a host of programs over the next couple of months - including LSU, Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Notre Dame - as he sorts out the contenders for his commitment.

As he looks into other programs and takes visits, Pierce continues to hear from the Longhorns at a consistent rate. He knows that he is wanted on the 40 Acres as the message remains the same.

“They’re taking one linebacker, and they’re still recruiting me hard. Texting me every week and stuff. They have a lot of good stuff going on there,” said Pierce. “Look at the success the linebackers had this past season with Jaylan Ford and how much he has grown since Choate has been there. My relationship with all of the Texas staff is great."

Payton Pierce is ranked as the No. 77 overall prospect and No. 4 inside linebacker in the 2024 recruiting cycle by Rivals. He plans to have a decision made during the summer before he begins his senior campaign.

Attachments

• FqJmmA5WABUuY4u.jpeg
    FqJmmA5WABUuY4u.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 2,219
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News