ADVERTISEMENT

Lost to Navy and SMU

Attention to detail and is not prepared for a job as big as Texas yet. He needs at least 5 years as a head coach, preferably in a power 5 conference. Navy and SMU are KSU and ISU in the Big 12. This would be like replacing Charlie Strong with Charlie Lite. He gets team fired up for 2 big games, but loses to no names... This shows flaws and inexperience. UT can get a veteran power 5 HC.

The only teams to beat Navy this year are; Air Force who has practiced against the triple option daily for years and USF who out scored them 52-45.

I think all the Herman leaving rumors on top of Herman's trash talking SMU cost them the SMU game.

Reactions: hookem3434
Herman needs more experience, but this Navy/SMU argument is ridiculous. Whenever we move on from Charlie the next guy is going to have lost games.

Last edited:
Reactions: diadevic
I'm waiting for this undefeated coach of 5 years in a power 5 conference who isn't happy where he's at and wants to come to Texas... I feel like I'll be waiting for a while. Houston has no depth and injuries played a big role in their loses. I know, every team has injuries...blah blah blah, but it's true. This may be hard to understand but Herman is the best we can get. Harbaugh and Tomlin are wet dreams...

By the way, there are rumors circulating that there is something in Hermans background that is a major turn off to the BOR. He might not be as high on the list anyway.

Well since we aren't firing Strong I wouldn't worry about who they have high on their list regardless.

A Kevin Sumlin coached UH team was on its way to a BCS bowl game and lost a very winnable game to Southern Miss. I told my A&M friends that this was a very bad sign.

2 years in we were all wrapped up in JFF madness, and Sumlin's coaching was masked by a tremendous college player.

3 years later.....every single season reminds me of that UH team that was utterly unprepared to take the next step and lost a big game they should have won easily.

Reactions: 2300 Nueces
Well since we aren't firing Strong I wouldn't worry about who they have high on their list regardless.

Yep. I wonder if that is weighing in on the decision to keep him. The stuff about what Clob said about the BOR digging in and the rumors (Just rumors, I have no idea if true) about Hermans background started around the same time. Coincidence?

Herman needs more experience, but this Navy/SMU argument is ridiculous. Whenever we move on from Charlie are next guy is going to have lost games.
2 years as a HC is my argument. They nearly lost to Tulsa and UCF. I guess the rumors of Strong being out have not had any effect on UT players? He's still playing with Levine's players. That is why I said get a guy that has been an HC for 5 years. James Franklin, David Shaw, Kevin Sumlin...

I'm waiting for this undefeated coach of 5 years in a power 5 conference who isn't happy where he's at and wants to come to Texas... I feel like I'll be waiting for a while. Houston has no depth and injuries played a big role in their loses. I know, every team has injuries...blah blah blah, but it's true. This may be hard to understand but Herman is the best we can get. Harbaugh and Tomlin are wet dreams...

By the way, there are rumors circulating that there is something in Hermans background that is a major turn off to the BOR. He might not be as high on the list anyway.
Successful power 5 HCs with 5 years experience are out there.

I'm just going to wait it out no need to keep with the Herman debate any longer. We either fire Strong or keep him.

would like to point out that saban lost to ul-monroe WHILE AT alabama

i can go with charlie staying or going; if he goes, i can see the argument for herman or no herman

but losses happen. i'm sure we could dig up bad losses by mack before he got here, or urban before ohio state, or royal at washington.

Yep. I wonder if that is weighing in on the decision to keep him. The stuff about what Clob said about the BOR digging in and the rumors (Just rumors, I have no idea if true) about Hermans background started around the same time. Coincidence?

No I am saying it doesn't exists. Whatever skeletons our BOR supposedly unearthed are likely meaningless or it's a flat out made up detail. Either could be possible, but the reason we are keeping Strong now because Herman is too hot to handle. It's not that our administration has zero clue on what to do.

I've said this before and I will say it again. Guys, there is no sin in losing to the Naval Academy. Ken Niumatalolo is an outstanding coach. At one time Navy lost 43 games in a row to ND. They've won 4 of the last 10 against the Irish and KN was coach for 3 of them. A couple of years ago they lost a close, hard fought game to tOSU 34/17 who went on to win the nc. I think KN would do well at a P5 school.

Chad Morris is another good coach. Considering the state of SMU fb if he can get them to 7/5 and a bowl game that would be great. He's from Texas, has a good relationship with the high school coaches. He's doing well at finding the diamonds in the rough players and there are always plenty of them in TX. That Houston win may jump start his rebuilding job. In that game they were the same kind of underdog that Houston was last night. Given time he may actually save SMU fb. My Baylor cousin says he's been mentioned as a candidate to replace Jim Grobe.

What I'm trying to say is those games that Houston lost need to be put in their prospective.

I had to look up how to spell KN's last name :)

I do agree Herrman needs some more time as a HC. I maintain the only reason he's getting play is because he's doing it in state. If a guy like Harsin and Herrman switched jobs with same results the boosters would want Harsin

I do agree Herrman needs some more time as a HC. I maintain the only reason he's getting play is because he's doing it in state. If a guy like Harsin and Herrman switched jobs with same results the boosters would want Harsin
But Harsin hasn't beat anyone with a pulse. Just Utah state, Nevada type teams. His best wins are over average BYU teams. We all know who Herman beat

But Harsin hasn't beat anyone with a pulse. Just Utah state, Nevada type teams. His best wins are over average BYU teams. We all know who Herman beat
My point is a lot of the lure of Herrman is he's doing it @houston. Not comparing the two. I don't really get on guys like Harsin for schedule. Doesn't do,power 5 schools any good to play them.

I said it at the beginning of the season and I'll say it again. No matter where he ends up at Tom Herman is destined for greatness and on this we can all agreee. And they should finish 10/2 which is an outstanding w/l record no matter where you're playing.

And as far as Tom Herman needing more seasoning. You know how many years Darrell Royal was a hc before he took the job at TX?
Three
Think about it.

Reactions: hookem3434

Wrong
In his first year he beat Washington. Also in that same year they won the Fiesta Bowl, I believe they beat Arizona.

My point is a lot of the lure of Herrman is he's doing it @houston. Not comparing the two. I don't really get on guys like Harsin for schedule. Doesn't do,power 5 schools any good to play them.

But it does for them to play Houston? Herman has beat FSU, OU, and now UL. All ranked P5 schools. That's why Herman is getting hype. Plenty of P5 schools to schedule.

It does Boise no good to schedule big boys they would rather have a bloated W tally than run the risk of removing doubt with a loss to a legitimate team.

Reactions: Pumpedup55
But it does for them to play Houston? Herman has beat FSU, OU, and now UL. All ranked P5 schools. That's why Herman is getting hype. Plenty of P5 schools to schedule.

It does Boise no good to schedule big boys they would rather have a bloated W tally than run the risk of removing doubt with a loss to a legitimate team.
No. it doesn't do any good for them to play Houston either. Ask OU and Louisville. They are good enough to beat you but the win doesn't do much for you.

But it does for them to play Houston? Herman has beat FSU, OU, and now UL.

Are you thinking of aggy?

BSU's OOC schedule would embarrass aggy, UConn, OreSt, MichSt, VaTech, UW, UGA, TCU, Ole Miss, WSU. Etc. BSU scheduled 2 OOC P5 team each of the last 6 years. aggy scheduled 2 OOC P5 teams, total, in the last 4 years.

Last edited:
Houston's 2 losses are overshadowed by beating every ranked team on the schedule in a dominating fashion, including the Heisman front runner. Has Strong ever done that?

Reactions: Pumpedup55
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT