ADVERTISEMENT

McElwain out at Flordia

ryan_sublett

Mar 7, 2007
This is an odd deal. I know Flordia hasn’t looked great this year, but man 10 wins his first year and 9 wins his second. Seems really harsh booting him after 2 1/2 years. I think potential candidates may do their due dilligance before taking that job. Expectations for coaches have always been a little crazy, but seems like they’ve gotten way out of hand the last few years. Don’t think McElwain will have any trouble finding a new job with his recored and the number of openings there will be.

I haven’t followed his situation closely, but he is an offensive coach that was hired to improve the offense. Has he done that over the past 2.5 years?

I haven’t followed his situation closely, but he is an offensive coach that was hired to improve the offense. Has he done that over the past 2.5 years?
Eh not really. He hasn’t really found a QB and lost the one he had to a broken collarbone. So I guess you could say he failed to improve the offense but you would think a 10 win season a 9 win season and 2 SEC east titles would get you some rope. The SEC goes through coaches like crazy.

something tells me that there is a lot more going on than we know about.
I get the feeling the AD who is new didn’t really like him and wanted to make his own hire. The slow start to the season and McElwain saying hecand the team had received death threats but being vague about the circumstances gave him the amo to do so. 12.9 million dollar buyout though. Even if they negotiate that down they are spending a lot of money to fire a solid coach.

Reactions: txcuernolargo
Here's something i heard on ESPN radio yesterday. JM told the people at FL that his family had received death threats. Turns out no such thing happened. He signed his own pink slip.

I heard on radio that venables, Orlando among others are being mentioned as possible replacements? Shannon being interim coach

Here's something i heard on ESPN radio yesterday. JM told the people at FL that his family had received death threats. Turns out no such thing happened. He signed his own pink slip.
That’s the thing I don’t think anyone knows that it didn’t happen. He just said(at least publicly) he wasn’t getting in to the specifics.Ovbiously things we don’t know most likely. Seems like the admin of Flordia wanted a way to get him out and that was their way out.

Some may get a kick out of this. Booger Mcfarland has Charlie as a possible replacement for the Florida job.

Reactions: 4MNChampsHorn
Some may get a kick out of this. Booger Mcfarland has Charlie as a possible replacement for the Florida job.

If I was Charlie, I’d stay put. If he is the real deal, stay at USF & build your HC resume up again before risking destruction at a high expectations P5 SEC school. Then, if he isn’t successful at his next HC gig, (a P5), he will land a HC job again at a smaller school.

Charlie probably isn’t entertaining leaving this year. He has another year of Texas money coming. Besides USF isn’t a bad gig. I know coaches don’t usually move in conference but Dan Mullen makes a lot of sense for Flordia.

Programs change coaches so often these days it’s hard to come up with qualified candidates. I mean Scott Frost is the best canidate this year and he hasn’t even been a HC 2 seasons.

If I was Charlie, I’d stay put. If he is the real deal, stay at USF & build your HC resume up again before risking destruction at a high expectations P5 SEC school. Then, if he isn’t successful at his next HC gig, (a P5), he will land a HC job again at a smaller school.

A directional school fits Strong well. A P-5 school does not.

The SEC is going to be a grave yard for caches this year.

Flordia has an opening already
Reports are Butch Jones has been told he’s out.
Ole miss will be open

And then maybe A&M,Arkansas and Missouri.
The direct result of the Saban Supremacy

The direct result of the Saban Supremacy
Yep and over inflated expectations for everyone else.

Mark Richt last 5 years at UGA
10-4
12-2
8-5
10-3
9-3

Sorry not good enough.people thought we were tough on Mack. Jeez If I was a Scott Frost or mid major guy. Wouldn’t touch an SEC job. At least not till Saban retired

Reactions: 4MNChampsHorn
Yep and over inflated expectations for everyone else.

Mark Richt last 5 years at UGA
10-4
12-2
8-5
10-3
9-3

Sorry not good enough.people thought we were tough on Mack. Jeez If I was a Scott Frost or mid major guy. Wouldn’t touch an SEC job. At least not till Saban retired
Got to admit Georgia appears to have gotten their hire right. They are really good. I think they give Saban all he can handle in SEC championship game.

Got to admit Georgia appears to have gotten their hire right. They are really good. I think they give Saban all he can handle in SEC championship game.
Oh yeah. Kirby Smart has done a great job. No argument there, and Richt has certainly made out well to. Just saying man the expectation level at some of these schools has gotten crazy

Reactions: Cure4BizCancer
Oh yeah. Kirby Smart has done a great job. No argument there, and Richt has certainly made out well to. Just saying man the expectation level at some of these schools has gotten crazy
Man, the Kirby hire must have been tough and gutsy. His success was all attributed to Saban. Thus, he was always on the short list but, never chosen as the HC. What a reward for Geargia if they continue with this year's success.

Man, the Kirby hire must have been tough and gutsy. His success was all attributed to Saban. Thus, he was always on the short list but, never chosen as the HC. What a reward for Geargia if they continue with this year's success.
Yeah in genreal there is a hesenticy to hire a coordinator as a HC for power 5 jobs. I’m not sure why. The teams that have work out pretty well in a lot of cases.

A directional school fits Strong well. A P-5 school does not.
I dont necessarily agree with that. Texas is unique. i think Charlie can be sucessful at florida. he was great at louisville and thats not exaclty a directional school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT