ADVERTISEMENT

Mean ole Tom Herman

oldhorn2

Jan 2, 2013
I have read several places that Herman has shown these guys that he means what he says and I also read that it has been reported on several sites that as many as 10 players could leave the program.
I am gonna paraphrase what an old time baseball team owner told his star pitcher held out for a bigger contract....He told the guy...."go ahead. We finished last with you and we can finish last without you"

My thought is that we had a losing record with them and we can have a losing record without them. Maybe some of those that transfer out will be supposedly good players, but they didnt do what we needed to do to win. If they go I wont miss em.

well....bye

I have read several places that Herman has shown these guys that he means what he says and I also read that it has been reported on several sites that as many as 10 players could leave the program.
I am gonna paraphrase what an old time baseball team owner told his star pitcher held out for a bigger contract....He told the guy...."go ahead. We finished last with you and we can finish last without you"

My thought is that we had a losing record with them and we can have a losing record without them. Maybe some of those that transfer out will be supposedly good players, but they didnt do what we needed to do to win. If they go I wont miss em.

well....bye
I agree with you. The players need to get on board. I have noticed when there are coaching changes nowadays the players seem to adjust slower. When this happens a turnaround is not typically quick. The players are clearly more coddled than ever and see the coach as more of a parental figure and have more of an attachment.

Charlie was supposed to bring all this discipline as well. What these kids need is a coach that understands the game more then they need a parent. Hell our DBs had to have wristbands just to line up correctly. We need guys to understand their assignments and then execute them. If they can't do that, they need to leave. Football is not that complicated except for a few positions like QB, center, MLB, and safety calling backfield alignments. Practice and repetition is what takes a player from thinking to reacting. Guys last year looked like they were figuring the plays out on the fly.

Charlie was supposed to bring all this discipline as well. What these kids need is a coach that understands the game more then they need a parent. Hell our DBs had to have wristbands just to line up correctly. We need guys to understand their assignments and then execute them. If they can't do that, they need to leave. Football is not that complicated except for a few positions like QB, center, MLB, and safety calling backfield alignments. Practice and repetition is what takes a player from thinking to reacting. Guys last year looked like they were figuring the plays out on the fly.
Ol charlie kicked off a lot of players when he arrived to campus. Those DBs you mentioned were put in the doghouse. Hill and Boyd. Hill stayed in the doghouse. He had discipline. Just no experience at key positions mainly QB. DBs was bad and young. WRs was bad. Qb and C were freshman. I looked at the team as a mental thing. They have the physical tools but the mental part is lacking

I'm just getting some bad vibes my dudes. Can't explain it and i have zero evidence to substantiate my feeling--- just a gut feeling.

Here we go again with CS's "Earn Ya Horns for your helmet sh*t"! We need to play FB..Who cares they gonna get them before first game anyway, start teaching to play FB and win

Hook'em

Reactions: oldhorn2
Darrell Royal used to say only angry people win football games. But that was 40 years ago. The game has changed and now its only mean people win football games. Regardless of how many people disagree with me on this we made progress last year, we lost 5 games by 22 points. That's where the meanness comes in and last year Texas didn't have it. Football is a mean game and Tom Herman knows this and will implement this into our team. And a lot of those close losses will be wins this year.

I'm sure some players for whatever reason will move on and this happens with every college fb team that has a new coach. No big deal. What makes the difference between Herman and Strong is that Herman will have more numbers when it happens.

Only 6 months and 15 days until the Maryland game.

Darrell Royal used to say only angry people win football games. But that was 40 years ago. The game has changed and now its only mean people win football games. Regardless of how many people disagree with me on this we made progress last year, we lost 5 games by 22 points. That's where the meanness comes in and last year Texas didn't have it. Football is a mean game and Tom Herman knows this and will implement this into our team. And a lot of those close losses will be wins this year.

I'm sure some players for whatever reason will move on and this happens with every college fb team that has a new coach. No big deal. What makes the difference between Herman and Strong is that Herman will have more numbers when it happens.

Only 6 months and 15 days until the Maryland game.

Would ya bet your house on it and your bank acct? You sound confident to do that...

Hook'em

Would ya bet your house on it and your bank acct? You sound confident to do that...

Hook'em

You know I really am. I remember every new coach hire since Akers and I've never been as optimistic as I am about Tom Herman. By no means am I a Mr. Football kind of guy. But this man has a charisma to him. Charisma is something that you notice about someone but you can't put it into words, but you know it when you see it.

Fb, Tom Herman has it.

You know I really am. I remember every new coach hire since Akers and I've never been as optimistic as I am about Tom Herman. By no means am I a Mr. Football kind of guy. But this man has a charisma to him. Charisma is something that you notice about someone but you can't put it into words, but you know it when you see it.

Fb, Tom Herman has it.

The thing that struck me from day one about Strong was he lacked self confidence, and he also doesn't have any charisma.

Fb, Tom Herman has it.

Charisma doesn't win FB games, Like I told MM , I hope I am wrong, but still gonna give Herman a chance, I am beginning to see a trend with everyone, they get behind whoever is coach and then you want to see him gone when he loses, I am guilty like this as well as everyone on this board, I am beginning to think that BOR doesn't know shit about picking a FB coach judging by past record here lately

Hook'em

Charisma doesn't win FB games, Like I told MM , I hope I am wrong, but still gonna give Herman a chance, I am beginning to see a trend with everyone, they get behind whoever is coach and then you want to see him gone when he loses, I am guilty like this as well as everyone on this board, I am beginning to think that BOR doesn't know shit about picking a FB coach judging by past record here lately

Hook'em

Well I agree with you on one thing. The BOR doesn't know s*** about picking fb coaches, and lets not get started about the game itself. And you can throw in the BMD's into this category as well.

Charlie brought some needed discipline, but he did not have the staff or the support that Mack did. The hardest job as a coach has to be judging talent and knowing if a player can develop. Mack missed the mark a couple of times in his last year, but did UT proud. Lets give Herman a chance to show if he is another Mack.

If Herman does shine well that's what we are looking for, wish him luck, but, some how we have got to stop this revolving door coaching hire and get settled, I believe that the most important thing, if the coaches are gonna be changed out every 4 yrs then we will never have a good recruiting yr

Hook'em

Reactions: jsto60 and oldhorn2
Interesting, I think Herman is boring as can be and think that is why there is so little buzz about the hire from our fan base.

What disappointed me most about Charlie, was I thought he was a "draw it in the dirt, hard work, hit the tackling dummies, teach technique, X's and O's kinda guy". And I didn't see it.

Not on the field. Same mistakes from drive to drive, game to game, and even year to year. He wasn't a problem solver.

What disappointed me most about Charlie, was I thought he was a "draw it in the dirt, hard work, hit the tackling dummies, teach technique, X's and O's kinda guy". And I didn't see it.

Not on the field. Same mistakes from drive to drive, game to game, and even year to year. He wasn't a problem solver.
I agree. I also thought his forte was to coach a very solid team that doesn't beat themselves. The players, regardless of their youth, seemed to be very undisciplined in their assignments with no progressive improvement as the season went on.

Interesting, I think Herman is boring as can be and think that is why there is so little buzz about the hire from our fan base.

Speaking for me I don't find Tom Herman boring at all. What do the fans want? He has an interesting background and the road he traveled to be the head man at the University of Texas is worth looking into.

Reactions: Rotarran9116
I hope you are right and I'm wrong.

Good lord the man is a member of Mensa how many fb coaches, or really any coaches can say that? That being said a lot of Mensa people are pompous but still.......

He never knew his father. Remember when the Cowboys used to practice in Thousand Oaks, CA? He went to the Lutheran school that's there.

Have you seen the names he's given his children? He named one of them after the Tom Cruise character in Top Gun.

He's earned his way to the top he coached at schools like TX Lutheran, I think he was at TX ST, I know he was at Sam Houston State, and Rice.

It's the kind of respect he's gotten from former players that interests me the most about the man. When he was at tOSU, Braxton Miller said he has the ability to relate to each player on an individual level. You know I haven't heard a lot of players say something like that about a coach.

I think in the summertime when there's more time to get to know the man we'll be impressed.

Try to find a way to access last year's pre season issue in SI. There's a story about Tom Herman in there give you an idea about the man.

I lived 6 doors down from the guy for a year. Never knew who he was until I saw his face on TV the following year. The only things I could tell you about him is he's an avid runner and his wife would flash me a hook'em when I walked the dog wearing Texas gear. How charismatic does that sound to you?

Charismatic is overrated. Neither Belichick nor Saban are charismatic.

Last edited:
No matter how it goes there will be"I told ya so" going around on the message boards. I guess that's what happens when we've gone through back to back losing seasons! I can't wait for the season to start it's going to be an entertaining forum.

Thank you Longyac for bringing sanity to this thread. Who cares what Charlie was or wasn't? HE GONE! and Who cares if Herman is interesting, a member of mensa, or hosts a weekly bridge tournament at his house? Are we going to start winning again? That's all I care about. In reality, that's all you care about.And Belichick is intentionally boring. It works for him. If that's Herman and he wins five championships in the next 15 years, give me boring!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT